• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You bought an N-Gage, didn't you?

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
The original Vita.
Dreamcast is the original Vita in home console form. There is no Vita equivalent in the handheld space. An argument could be made for the Game Gear, which too was a damn underrated little system.

But anyway I kinda remember wanting one when I heard Tomb Raider was on it. Then I just forgot about it.

Megatron

I came really close to buying one. In the end im not sure why I held off. I think it was the right decision though.

That thing was ahead of its time. If it had come out when WiFi finally became prevalent in mobile devices, it could have been pretty neat.

Sownic

Banned
i think it's safe to say N-Gage is the worst handheld of all time. I always wanted one to throw it immediately away. My Brother bought one but sell it after 1 week or so to buy drugs. clever decision

baphomet

Ive got a qd sitting around somewhere with a handful of games.

Any idea if there is a way to sctream the video output to a PC?

Fermbiz

Gold Member
I owned the second N-Gage phone. It was actually pretty good. I played the shit out of Tony Hawk 2.

My two complaints about the phone was the rubber kept coming out. You could've replaced the rubber but they colors they offered suck. So I tried crazy gluing it and that worked for a while.

My second is that the games were soooo damn expensive IMO. I never bought another game other than what came with it which was Tony Hawk.

Gameboy415

I never got around to picking up a system, but I picked up a few N-Gage games back in college when they were being on clearance at Best Buy:
Sonic-N, Super Monkey Ball, and Bomberman.

I'd actually like to pick up a QD if I can find one super-cheap. :)

I had one on contract, never owned one game for it other than the snowboarding game that came on the memory card. I ran up loads of bills I couldn't pay and ended up throwing it at the wall after an argument with my girlfriend. There was a distinct N-Gage shaped dent in the plaster. That fit of rage saved me the embarrassment of making calls on it in public ever again though.

Mozz-eyes

Banned
My buddy had one. Only had some crappy snowboarding game, though.

I really wanted one because the UK advertising reeled me in. Holy crap! Tomb Raider on a handheld?!

Fortunately my parents said no.

I had one. Used it as my main phone for a while. Never heard a single word anyone ever said. Which if you think about it sort of made it the ideal phone. I mean who wants to actually talk to people on the phone?

Cool read.

It sounds like Nokia's first mistake was targeting overly-complex visuals. If their value proposition was "It's a Gameboy Advance and a Phone", they probably should have remembered that they were competing with the Gamboy Advance, which couldn't produce 3D graphics (for the most part).

320px-Cybiko.jpg
i had this (and the updated revision CYBIKO EXTREEEEME)

i had a love-hate relationship with it as a child

Vrolik

I remember Bethesda had some kind of poll on their forum to gauge interest for a mobile version of Elder Scrolls. This was between Morrowind and Oblivion, so people overwhelming voted for the DS as their 'mobile' of choice.

Bethesda then triumphantly announced they were developing Shadowkey for the N-Gage.

I don't think I've ever fully trusted them since.

BizzyBum

I remember Bethesda had some kind of poll on their forum to gauge interest for a mobile version of Elder Scrolls. This was between Morrowind and Oblivion, so people overwhelming voted for the DS as their 'mobile' of choice.

Bethesda then triumphantly announced they were developing Shadowkey for the N-Gage.

I don't think I've ever fully trusted them since.

I'm still awaiting the announcement for Morrowind on the iOS. I'd actually play that on my iPad.

Krejlooc

Banned
Cool read.

It sounds like Nokia's first mistake was targeting overly-complex visuals. If their value proposition was "It's a Gameboy Advance and a Phone", they probably should have remembered that they were competing with the Gamboy Advance, which couldn't produce 3D graphics (for the most part).

they were right to target 3d visuals. the gba was on the tail end of its life, and both the psp and ds had been announced before the ngage launched. if anything, its primitive software rendering engines were too little.

Krejlooc

Banned
Hey! Don't pair this with the Jaguar. I liked my Jaguar.:(

i like my jaguar too. i believe the comparison is apt, given the aversion people have to even admitting they had the slightest bit of fun with either the jag or the ngage.

Cynn

Dreamcast is the original Vita in home console form. There is no Vita equivalent in the handheld space. An argument could be made for the Game Gear, which too was a damn underrated little system.

Hmm might be accurate. Game Gear's batteries like Vita's memory cards hurt the system but it had some good games and tech that were ignored by everyone other than the Surf Ninjas.

Dranakin

1040px-Cybiko.jpg

I got burned so bad from buying a Cybiko instead of a GBA, so no, I didn't get an N-Gage.

EDIT: Looks like I wasn't the only one.
i had this (and the updated revision CYBIKO EXTREEEEME)

i had a love-hate relationship with it as a child

I even bought the MP3 player attachment and spent $50 on a 32MB card at Walmart to listen to my horribly compressed MP3s.

buTFNhU.jpg

Triz

I worked for AT&T mobile at the release of this thing and still never used it even when I had an opportunity to get it free. No regrets.

Kasper

I never actually managed to see an N-Gage in the wild. I've been to a video game museum of sorts since, and I am not even sure I saw one there. At least I can't remember doing so.

19228_front.jpg

I found a copy of SEGA Rally for N-Gage in a pawn shop years ago for a few bucks. Didn't have an N-Gage and never planned on getting one, but bought the game anyway. Just because. I'd done the same with Sonic and Puzzle Bobble for the novelty value.

A while later I discovered SEGA Rally was worth money. Like, a lot of money. Chucked it on eBay and holy shit.

Thanks N-Gage, you were the best system I never owned!

Krejlooc

Banned
19228_front.jpg

I found a copy of SEGA Rally for N-Gage in a pawn shop years ago for a few bucks. Didn't have an N-Gage and never planned on getting one, but bought the game anyway. Just because. I'd done the same with Sonic and Puzzle Bobble for the novelty value.

A while later I discovered SEGA Rally was worth money. Like, a lot of money. Chucked it on eBay and holy shit.

Thanks N-Gage, you were the best system I never owned!

it is fucking terrible port. yoou got the most possible out of it.

The legacy of N-Gage did live on through the N-Gage-as-a-platform, bringing hits like Metal Gear Solid (Mobile) to the table (!)

Metal_Gear_Solid_Mobile_Title_Screen.png

mgs-n-gage.jpg

My ex-girlfiend had an N-Gage so I played though Pathway to Glory about 4 years ago. It was hard. Very hard.

devonodev

I played Tomb Raider on it in a phone shop once, it seemed clunky even to me as a child. I still wanted one, but I wouldn't have traded my GBA for it, as much as I did want a phone.

Never knew anyone who owned one though.

Nilla

Banned
An underappreciated aspect of the n-gage is the audacious goatse tribute that is the original hardware design.

YESw3EB.png

I remember really wanting one back in the day. Ended up getting my first cell phone a few years after it launched, and by that point the system was pretty much already dead. I think I would've enjoyed having a QD at that point in my life, even if the gaming part sucked, as a phone I don't think it was that bad compared to its contemporaries (not counting the way you had to hold the original model when calling).

The legacy of N-Gage did live on through the N-Gage-as-a-platform, bringing hits like Metal Gear Solid (Mobile) to the table (!)

Metal_Gear_Solid_Mobile_Title_Screen.png

mgs-n-gage.jpg

My ex-girlfiend had an N-Gage so I played though Pathway to Glory about 4 years ago. It was hard. Very hard.
Seems better than that MGS4 shooting gallery they released.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I didn't buy an N-Gage, but I did buy a couple N-Gage games on clearance for less than a dollar. If only I could figure out a way to play them.

toneroni

I tried finding one when GameStop was clearing them out. I'm hoping I randomly stumble across one at a yard sale or something but I realize I never go to those :/

One of my first cell phones. Damn this thing was fun. I remember doing online time trials in Tomb Raider and felt like I was finally experiencing portable future. The GBA seemed so primitive.

Ashen, Pocket Kingdom, Rayman, Puyo Pop, Bubble Bobble, Crash, Sonic, Tony Hawk, Tomb Raider, Splinter Cell, Pandemonium... There was a lot of fun to be had. Miss this thing.

milkham

i had one, the games were pretty uniformly shitty but it was a decent "smart phone" for its time and my friends and I had a lot of good laughs at my expense.

135646321_085fd55401_b.jpg

bought it second hand from an interesting person for 100 bucks and sold it for around the same.

I liked it enough to actually want the second version of the n-gage but it didn't support t-mobile bands or i wasn't sure it would so i never ended up getting one.

I bought the original one on sale to use as a phone and played a tonne of tony hawk on it. Actually have a fair bit of nostalgia for it nowadays and toss up buying a new one every now and again.

I actually used it as my phone right up until I ruined it by filling up the internal memory so much that it couldn't boot up anymore :'(

eFKac

Well, I had a QD.

Loved it for what it was, a really multimedia phone in the era of feature phones.

And exclusive Call of Duty, TES
T
, man.

Pathway to glory were great, I see that I somehow missed Metal Slug.

Still have a lot of games that I have not sold, no NGAGE to play them on though :-/

Ahh the old Taco. I was tempted at one stage because I needed a new phone and I thought it would be novel to be able to play games on it, but I always research something before I buy it and I wanted a phone first and foremost so the N-Gage was just too bulky and the battery life was atrocious for that. Also Taco lulz, fuck using it like dat!

Top Bottom