• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You can't download more RAM but what if next gen games came on cards which could upgrade the RAM when needed?

That's kind of a stupid idea. Even if someone were to do it using PCIe 4.0 like OP suggests, speeds would still be absolutely abysmal compared to regular RAM, not to mention that consoles most likely wouldn't have the necessary lanes to spare, anyway.

onQ123

CFexpress Type A maybe?

SSD-Final.jpg

sony-ssd-memory-ps5.jpg

CFexpress-Type-A-memory-card.jpg

If my N64 expansion pack can let me play Rogue Squadron with better graphics, I don't see why it wouldn't be possible. But it'll never happen, there's really no need. We have at best 2 more generations of console hardware, hardware itself is gonna be useless for most gamers.

I'm kind of a PC nerd and love having a reason to open my PC up, but it wouldn't really work that well for consoles in any meaningful way.

It's more expensive and cis
I like the general idea, but the console manufacturers would simply release a "Pro" version of that console at a later date instead of giving players the flexibility of upgrading their existing box.

Alternatively, I could see them reintroducing the N64's "Expansion Pak" to mod your system and turn it into a (hodgepodge) Pro version. That might be neat.

Cartridges -- as in, dedicated boards that shoulder a portion of system's performance -- are never coming back. Even the Switch carts are essentially just fast-reading memory chips.
it's more costly n expensive to design a new console than to simply let players upgrade a cartridge and pro consoles don't even sell that much even more when the base is called the playstation 5! You can getaway with subconsciously more ram on cartridges because nobody has to know about it!

If my N64 expansion pack can let me play Rogue Squadron with better graphics, I don't see why it wouldn't be possible. But it'll never happen, there's really no need. We have at best 2 more generations of console hardware, hardware itself is gonna be useless for most gamers.

I'm kind of a PC nerd and love having a reason to open my PC up, but it wouldn't really work that well for consoles in any meaningful way.
Sony just patented playstation 6-10

Also ram won't be a issue with next gen, its gpu will be.
Ram is always an issue my friend infact ram is the issue, when it comes to graphics ram is king it's more important than anything else, cause you can have faster processors but without enough ram then Ur fucked ram is the working bench!

Kenpachii

Ram is always an issue my friend infact ram is the issue, when it comes to graphics ram is king it's more important than anything else, cause you can have faster processors but without enough ram then Ur fucked ram is the working bench!

Everything is a issue at some point. but the current rumors are 16+gb, which honestly ram will never be a issue. That GPU is going to be chocked to death before ram ever becomes a issue. Unless they start to slam 4/8k texture packs into the mix then yea v-ram will be in high demand but also disc space. and frankly it don't think its feasable for them even remotely on all kinds of fronts.

Last edited:
Everything is a issue at some point. but the current rumors are 16+gb, which honestly ram will never be a issue. That GPU is going to be chocked to death before ram ever becomes a issue. Unless they start to slam 4/8k texture packs into the mix then yea v-ram will be in high demand but also disc space. and frankly it don't think its feasable for them even remotely on all kinds of fronts.
nope 16 GB is shit deffinete pl y not enough remember every nextgen console had 16x the ram so from 8gb on ps4 we should expect 128gb on ps5, the reason we're getting 16 is simply because of high ram cost! If ram was cheap as it used to be well be talking about 32gb minimum!

onQ123

A couple of weeks back, a reader actually dug up some interesting information that could identify the exact components inside the console. The thereverendslim wrote in our forums:

Given that 1) the “debug port” on the Xbox Series X looks to be roughly 31mm x 4mm, 2) that a LinkedIn entry showed Phison’s PS5019-E19T controller being developed for or used by the Series X, 3) that Phison’s datasheet for that controller shows that it can be used in a CFExpress form factor, and that the dimensions of a Type B CFExpress card are 29.8mm x 3.8 mm… Do you think it’s possible that rather than having an internal non-replaceable NVMe-style SSD, they are using Compact Flash Express for the SSD so that you can expand in the future?
And I think he/she may be right, but keep in mind that CFExpress cards are not cheap with a 512GB cards currently being sold for around $600. At that price, Microsoft is betting that the technology will drop significantly in price over the lifespan of the console or they have found a way to utilize that style of port with different storage.

The last option is that Microsoft does use CFExpress cards and lets the customer decide if they want to really spend the same price as the console on expanding the storage but that seems unlikely. Regardless of the outcome, Microsoft is looking at ways to expand storage options for its next-generation console with high-speed options that USB does not currently offer.

What this all means is that the Xbox series X will offer flexibility in your storage options and that if needed, it should be easy to expand the storage with a high-speed solution. Keep in mind, the console is still in development and Microsoft could make changes that remove this port but for now, it looks like the company is moving ahead with this type of functionality.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.

Don't know why you feel the need to necro your thread, it doesn't make your initial idea anything less ridiculous. Maybe even more so, if you are suggesting that games get released on flash storage costing $60. It's an utterly stupid idea that doesn't even take into consideration the fact that most games sold today are sold digitally. Guess they will get a virtual RAM upgrade, hah?

onQ123

Don't know why you feel the need to necro your thread, it doesn't make your initial idea anything less ridiculous. Maybe even more so, if you are suggesting that games get released on flash storage costing $60. It's an utterly stupid idea that doesn't even take into consideration the fact that most games sold today are sold digitally. Guess they will get a virtual RAM upgrade, hah?

Because if Xbox SX has a CFexpress slot this can happen

Games could come with some data preloaded in it's on pool of ReRAM to get pass the 16GB limitation of the console & they could sell a RAM card for use with downloaded games .

Like back in the day because SD Express /CFexpress slots are basically PCIe slots

I think the ssd in this machines ps5 and series x is soldered to the gpu like in a amd ssg card, and probably 48-128gb just like the old leaks stating that series x uses 96gb of ssd virtual ram. And that a external 1tb ssd is used as storage and upgradable!

LordOfChaos

Modern RAM designs are a little different from 90s consoles where they often rely on being sucked off (you heard me) by the wind tunnel created by the main fan exhausting. Maybe it could work, but worth considering that everything is made as a thought out thermal design now.

Like if one of the consoles was released in 2020 with 16GB of GDDR6 but has a SD Express or CFexpress card slot & the price of ReRAM drop really low in 2021?

Games could come with some data preloaded in it's on pool of ReRAM to get pass the 16GB limitation of the console & they could sell a RAM card for use with downloaded games .

Like back in the day because SD Express /CFexpress slots are basically PCIe slots

The secret upgrade: How expansion chips in video game cartridges pushed performance

Games on a cartridge...sounds exciting and new....go on...:pie_thinking::pie_thinking::pie_thinking:

(Just messing with you)

onQ123

Like if one of the consoles was released in 2020 with 16GB of GDDR6 but has a SD Express or CFexpress card slot & the price of ReRAM drop really low in 2021?

The secret upgrade: How expansion chips in video game cartridges pushed performance

Almost

xbox-series-x-will-require-proprietary-cards-to-expand-hard-drive-space.jpg

CJY

Banned
Nope xbox are fucked 16gb is shit for next gen, complete fuckery fuck. Memory is what holds the graphics doesnt matter if its 16gb and 1 billion gb/s its still 16gb is shit.
Their tech of only loading the textures that are visible to the player and being able to use the SSD as "Virtual Ram" and their fast uncompression tech seem like some decent measures. I don't know it I would say they are fucked. More would have been better, but I'm a strong advocate of better efficiency so I'm interested to see if their measures will mitigate any RAM shortcomings.

PSYGN

Nope xbox are fucked 16gb is shit for next gen, complete fuckery fuck. Memory is what holds the graphics doesnt matter if its 16gb and 1 billion gb/s its still 16gb is shit.

Yeah, how could they forget about the RAM? Surely there's no other way around that bottleneck? I bet the engineers feel so dumb now after pouring millions into it. They should've hired you, /s

Last edited:
Yeah, how could they forget about the RAM? Surely there's no other way around that bottleneck? I bet the engineers feel so dumb now after pouring millions into it. They should've hired you, /s
Of course with less ram they introduce ways around it like ssd virtual ram tricks like lod tesselation vrs virtual texturing where all introduced to go around memory but as history has proved they are still tricks and wont solve the memory problem your going to have 10gb dedicated for games thats including 4k, 8k textures at 60-120fps how the fuck is that gonna work with next gen graphics its gonna be the same old looking games with a but of oomph.

Its not the engineers problem, engineers did what they could its microsoft who couldnt afford more memory.

Their tech of only loading the textures that are visible to the player and being able to use the SSD as "Virtual Ram" and their fast uncompression tech seem like some decent measures. I don't know it I would say they are fucked. More would have been better, but I'm a strong advocate of better efficiency so I'm interested to see if their mea upsures will mitigate any RAM shortcomings.
Thing is all this tricks have always existed, asset occlusion, tesselation, mesh shading vrs virtual texturing you name it they where all introduced because of the memory problem but they are procedural techniques they arent going to show you 100gb assets per frame on screen with a 16gb gpu it simply means youll be able to load and delete assets quicker and deal with asssets efficiently but interms of whats onscreen it wont be a major difference.

onQ123

Its shit mate nvme or whatever super storage, with only 16gb its shit

I told y'all over a year ago that a fast SSD could make up for the size of GDDR6. I'm not telling you this to defend the 16GB of GDDR6 I'm telling you this because I'm smart enough to know that storage is no longer just somewhere to store the data until you load it into RAM , Now it's basically part of the RAM this is not the same as having 16GB of GDDR6 with a HDD.

You're crying about having 16GB of GDDR6 but don't really know why you're crying about it because if you did you would be happy about having 1TB of NVMe in a console.

I told y'all over a year ago that a fast SSD could make up for the size of GDDR6. I'm not telling you this to defend the 16GB of GDDR6 I'm telling you this because I'm smart enough to know that storage is no longer just somewhere to store the data until you load it into RAM , Now it's basically part of the RAM this is not the same as having 16GB of GDDR6 with a HDD.

You're crying about having 16GB of GDDR6 but don't really know why you're crying about it because if you did you would be happy about having 1TB of NVMe in a console.
I know theyll do wonders with the ssd im one of the people who have said it loads of time but 16gb is not what i expected but anyhow well see how they do

Top Bottom