• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You come home to find all your video games have been stolen, how would you react?

How would you feel?

• I would cry like a baby

Votes: 17 12.1%
  • I would be very depressed

Votes: 30 21.4%
  • I would be really upset, but it could be worse

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • Upset, but not that big of a deal

Votes: 36 25.7%

• Total voters

nightfly

Say one day you came home only to find someone had broken in and the only thing they stole was your entire video game collection including systems/handhelds.

For me, I admit, I would probably cry, so many are sentimental not just the fact that I have a lot.

MC Safety

I was robbed once. I came home to find my apartment door wide open and a lot of my stuff gone.

It's not just the loss of stuff but also the feeling of being invaded.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I would, unabashedly, cry like a baby. Video gaming and video game collecting is my hobby. It is something I genuinely love to do and it has helped me get through some very dark times. The loss of my collection would absolutely devastate me. I wouldn't do anything rash as to commit bodily harm to myself, but I would be very depressed for a while.

Shifty

The full n-stages-of-grief cycle probably, seems like a reasonable enough reaction.

I'd still have my digital purchases which would be some relief, but I have some older consoles still around specifically for playing obscure stuff that never got ported. Losing those would suck.

Vlaphor

usfhXnw.gif

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'd contact my homeowner's insurance, since I have a special rider on my account as the value of my gaming collection is worth over $25,000 and everything has been photo documented.

NewYork214

Happened to me in 2016. It Was a lot more then just my games and consoles though. I broke my hand punching the wall numerous times, hit a beam at some point. Stupid of me but whatever. Luckily I had my PS4 with me.

This is what they got gaming wise:
PS3
Wii u console without gamepad
About 40-50 PS3 games, maybe 6 Wiiu games
Vita (which was the worst part)

Miss my vita.

Ramzy

I've got home and contents insurance. I'd lodge a claim and just work on re-buying the games. Such is life.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
having had my house broken into before and had laptops, money, tv, etc. stolen yeah i didn't ever cry or anything. i did move the fuck away tho.

if my Switch was stolen, i'd just get a new one, and make sure to change the password on my account. most of my games are digital so i'd get all of them back. if my PS3 was stolen, it would suck, but it was a used thrift store purchase anyways. i'd just go to emulators, which means i get to play at higher resolution/framerate. ditto with my N64.

honestly it's just easy to get video games these days. i have no attachment to any products i own, i've bought and given away so many game systems in the past. it would suck but i wouldn't be depressed about it or anything.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Well I'd take the value of my physical games and base it off today's going rate for Video games. Then I'd file a report with my insurance agency. I don't think insurance agencies know the value of what I own.

I'd be sad about it. I'm also a digital consumer, so I could go to the store and buy a console that night. Download my saves from the cloud and keep playing.

stickkidsam

I'd be so upset that I would cross over into that special place where time stops and you feel nothing but silent fury.

On the one hand, it's terrible losing something special to you. On the other hand, it's terrible knowing you won't get to slug the bastard in the face. I'm not sure which feels worse.

Last edited:
Already happened. Three weeks ago they broke into my house when I wasn't there and stole my Switch (and other things). I was like :messenger_neutral:.
The only thing that was really scaring me was that I didn't knew if the saves were backed up in the cloud.
But they were.
The games are all digital so it's not a big deal. But the console... :messenger_crying:
Now you reminded me that I don't have a Switch :messenger_loudly_crying:

ReBurn

Gold Member
All of my games are digital this generation. All I would need is a new console and I'd be back in business.

But since we're so close to next gen I'd probably just wait for that.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Where’s the “I’d track down these motherfuckers and stick barbecue skewers in their balls” option?

Raph64

The robbers may have stoled my life, but fortunately I’d still have two remaining :messenger_relieved:

Last edited:

DiscoJer

When I was a kid, I was paranoid about being burglarized when we went on vacation, so I decided to hide all my video games.

Didn't get robbed, but when I came home two weeks later, I forgot where I put most of them. I had different places for them and I forgot where like 90% of them were. Over the next two years, I would constantly find them in odd places.

Nickolaidas

When I was a kid, I was paranoid about being burglarized when we went on vacation, so I decided to hide all my video games.

Didn't get robbed, but when I came home two weeks later, I forgot where I put most of them. I had different places for them and I forgot where like 90% of them were. Over the next two years, I would constantly find them in odd places.

You were … your own worst enemy.

bati

I'd write an email to Steam support titled "Sup?" and wonder where the 2FA failed that this was even possible.

Cato

Banned
I would happily do the time, knowing that my vigilant justice made sure that the perp would never do this thing again to someone else, ever.

Sometimes you have to take a bullet for the good of society.

nkarafo

I would pull my backups. 90% of my collection restored. GoG, emulators/roms, standalone PC games... Rest sits in STEAM. I do have a small physical collection but most of it is backed up. Except for my XBOX 360 collection. And that was the last console i ever bought. That's the only thing i will miss.

I always backup everything i can, including PC games and i keep cracks around in case the DRM servers are bombed or hit by a tsunami or something.

A.Romero

It happened to my once. It sucked and I will never get any of those games back. They were probably sold to a pawnshop for pennies and then sold to some kid or something. I doubt many people in my country would appreciate what God hand is.

However I got over it in like 2 hours. I got $1000 from insurance money and got a TV.

I know that I will never get those games again and losing a launch PS3 was the worst part of it but I'm doing well professionally and my collection is now bigger than it was before.

I rarely think about it, it feels like I never had them in the first place.

Virex

Banned
I've someone has stolen your game collection or anything valuable. Let me know! I don't want to see anyone depressed. I'll get it back for you. Send me a PM

lNxso8p.png

Last edited:
Would likely try and find the person who did it as where I live isn't a big place and get some local gangsters on them I am related to. 😡😡

Semi Joking...

Cato

Banned
Considering the $10,000 gun collection sitting 3 feet away from my consoles, I'd be pissed, yet relieved that's all they got.

Your theory is you have 10.000$ worth of guns and still you an not able to prevent the theft of your videogames.
The guys that you envision stole them, are they some kind of super ninjas?

Top Bottom