• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You do know you can turn the PS4 controller light bar off, right!?

Sande

I have it dimmed and covered it with tape that lets just a bit of it through. Doesn't light up the entire room or reflect off the TV, but still lets you see the light. Best of both worlds.

I'm definitely not stuffing shit into the connector.

NewDust

If it's like other tech devices as soon as it's opened a seal is broken and they can tell. That voids the warranty.

In many cases warranties are voided as soon as you crack the case open.

(not that I'd be particularly worried about a warranty on such a low cost piece of hardware)

Opening and modyfying your stuff always voids warranty. Not sure if Sony can tell, but they probably do. Not worth taking a chance for something so insignificant.

Maybe I just got lucky... I've opened my fair share of electtonics like notebooks, washing machines and stuff and never had any trouble. Though the only things replaced were easily serviceable (fans, ribbon cables).

shandy706

People here can't take 5 seconds to setup a custom res/refresh on a PC. What makes you think we'll mod a controller to turn off a light?

/s

The DS4's light never bothered me. My TVS are all wall mounted too high to see a reflection or notice it too though.

I never quite understood why Sony doesn't allow an option to turn the light bar off on the PS4.
There's no technical reason for that, if I use my DS4 on PC I can completely disable it.

wow, i remember when this was the #1 complaint about the console. such a different tone when looking at the replies in this thread.

Glix

Poor guy was just trying to be helpful, lol

It hasn't bothered me at all, but I would just use black medical tape or something, lol.

Not really. Misleading title and then a link to a youtube vid without describing the process. And its certainly not a new discovery.

Seems more likely to be looking for hits than trying to be helpful

Maybe I just got lucky... I've opened my fair share of electtonics like notebooks, washing machines and stuff and never had any trouble. Though the only things replaced were easily serviceable (fans, ribbon cables).

A washing machine isn't even close to what I was referring to...And yes, you've been lucky if you've opened a high end notebook. Unless it was like an Acer or something then it probably didn't matter anyways.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I just dim mine too.

Wish it would last longer but whatever. This is a neat lil hack tho. Thing is I like when games that use the light so....

I thought this was going to be a new firmware update or something :(

Yea the !? got me too.

Shit thread title.

Do we know we can turn off a light by prying open a device and fucking with its connection to its power source? No shit.

Hoje0308

Banned
When you say "turn off" most people expect menu options, not instructions on which small tools work best to pry apart the controller to gain physical access to the light.

mothball

This has been disproven. LEDs consume very little power.

The battery life is so poor because the touchpad and speaker are constantly 'waiting' in case they get used, plus the battery capacity is middling.

Where? The only experiment I've seen either way was this one, where the guy doubled the battery life after removing the LED. For some strange and completely unforeseeable reason, though, no one ever talked about it at all and everyone kept on thinking the light has little effect on battery life.

Top Bottom