• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You find cash on a floor in a carpark. Keep it or hand it to the police?

Would you keep the money?

• Yes

Votes: 83 83.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 9.0%
  • Unsure

Votes: 8 8.0%

• Total voters

wondermega

find a wallet, definitely bring it somewhere nearby where it will be (hopefully) taken care of. Some cash by itself? Mine. Huge freakin'... BAG of cash? Well then you need to call the cops.

Funny story, I was with a home inspector once who was looking in the wall for some mold. I asked him what the craziest thing he'd ever found was, during an inspection - he said he once came across a duffel bag full of well in excess of 10k hidden in a wall. He freaked out and immediately called the cops!

But man, the urge to pocket a wad of bills would be insane!

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
IMAGINE giving the police raw cash with absolutely nothing to tie it to a person. Jesus Christ. Might as well just write to the government asking them if you're allowed to pay more taxes.

UnNamed

Banned
Police officers when someone files a report about 20 pounds lost

48db24f7-19a7-451b-9b8a-17b16519f57f_text.gif

Last edited:

Ionian

When I worked in an art shop, someone dropped 500 pounds (before the Euro). Many an Indian dinner and beers had. Dude had never came back, fuck giving it to the Guards (police). Wouldn't be returned. No idea who the owner was.

You don't go to Police for dropped money, they won't entertain that.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
loose cash I’d probably keep, but a wallet or purse with identification I’d turn in without touching the contents.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Loose notes? Probably keep. There's no way for the police to prove who they belong to unless the person claiming them knows the serial numbers or something and more than likely they just go into the officer's pocket.

bellome

Gaf, help me settle a debate.

My buddy parked up outside a shopping centre in the UK. Next to his car was two £10 notes on the floor. He picked them up, but thinks he should hand them into the police.

My other friend who he was with thinks he should keep it. It's just £20 after all.

Now, in the UK technically it's theft if you don't make a reasonable attempt to return the money, which is what's caused this heated debate.

Personally, I'd keep it, but what would the GAF hivemind do?
If i find a wallet with money and ID's I hand it to the police.

If i find loose cash on the ground i keep them.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Is pic then you wait a few minutes if someone returns panicked they lost twenty quid if not mine

A poster above says. Find a wallet handing that all in.

Loose money on the floor.
Keep

Last edited:
you're damn tooting sure i'm taking that lettuce.

if it was a major amount of money and i thought it could be stolen/drug money then i'd spend some of it flying to another country for a while to lay low :messenger_tears_of_joy:

the most amount of money i've taken is £30 and that was about 20 years ago lol. some daft idiot went to the cash machine, withdrew it, and walked away. i still remember seeing it, grabbing it, and telling my mum who said shut up and walk faster!

edit: makes me think of the one time i went shopping and dropped £60 in an aisle. i was pissed and thought it'd be a waste of time phoning the store because i assumed someone pocketed it. i ended up phoning and yup someone had handed it in. while it taught me to not assume the worst of people it made me feel bad because i knew if i saw that £60 on the floor i'd probably take it. i'm a horrible person i know.

Last edited:
If i find a wallet with money and ID's I hand it to the police.

If i find loose cash on the ground i keep them.
for sure yeah if i found a wallet with someones ID/bank cards in then i'd hand it in but i'd be tempted to take the money out before handing it in. no officer there wasn't any money in it when i found it 🤷‍♂️ if i was in a good mood i might just take a note or two. if there was £50 in it i'd take a couple £10 notes :messenger_tears_of_joy: my justification would be that hey i could steal your shit and cause you a world of pain . would you rather lose £20 or everything in your bank?

seriously though joking aside...i would definitely always hand in ID/bank cards to a police station or bank. i'd never commit identity theft because it's not a joke and i'd not ransack someones bank accounts. i'm actually not that much of an awful person!

Last edited:

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
This happened to me outside a health clinic once. I found $300 in an envelope. It was right when the 3DS came out. I had a moment where I thought I could go buy a 3DS, but then I realized that I didn’t earn it. It was someone’s money they were probably going to pay their medical bill with. I turned it in. The cops thought I was crazy, but it felt good saying something. I called back and someone claimed the envelope. They could have kept it, but imagine losing your payment on a procedure or something important.
Karma Love GIF by Power of Positivity

Azzurri

I find money at the bars ALL the time and I keep it.

It's different if you're in a garage and you stumble on a duffle bag full of cash, then I'd just leave it since it's probably drug money or something illegal and you'll probably get killed if you take it.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Depends. Cash in a wallet with id? Police. Just cash? Keep it. Large amount of cash for some reason, and no cameras? Keep it. Large amount of cash but there are cameras? Police.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
Virtually always keep it. The only circumstances where I have ever handed it to someone is when I saw them drop it, and they look like they actually need it back.

I saw someone with a Gucci handbag drop £10 ahead of me on the street years ago and didn't feel bad about pocketing it.

Vestal

Gold Member
If there are no identifying marks that would point towards being someones money? I'd take it and probably give it back to someone in need.

Drake

I saw a guy drop $20 while standing in line at a concession stand at an NHL game many years ago. I told him and all I got was a dirty look as he picked up his money. That experience jaded me for life. Keep it. Fuck em.

Last edited:
Top Bottom