• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You Never Go Full Furry: MLP Equestrian Girls

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaxword

I'm surprised they didn't go live-action:
Z2IR5pg.jpg

PIc2oPD.jpg

PKrockin

Anyone who thinks that Hasbro did this for the Brony demo is out of their mind.

As a bunch of people have already said, this is about Hasbro wanting to make a grab for the Monster High market, using a well-known brand a launchpad. They're really not interested in making TV/Film unless it's to support their primary area of business, i.e. Toys.

Anyway. Based on the trailer, I'm not keen. It actually bothers me most that we've gone from all six main characters in FiM living and working independently to a stock-standard high-school setting. They've actually regressed the formula.

So, essentially this is the X-Men Evolution of My Little Pony?

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
this looks like something made to appeal to bronies intentionally rather than incidentally.

i dont get the half-pony half human thing at all, though. they just look like badly colored humans with tails

PaulloDEC

this looks like something made to appeal to bronies intentionally rather than incidentally.

It's weird to me that so many people think this.

If they were trying to appeal to Bronies, they failed miserably. The percentage of the fanbase who'd actually put up their hands for a tween-oriented high-school soap featuring poorly-designed humanised characters from FiM would be negligibly small.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
It's weird to me that so many people think this.

If they were trying to appeal to Bronies, they failed miserably. The percentage of the fanbase who'd actually put up their hands for a tween-oriented high-school soap featuring poorly-designed humanised characters from FiM would be negligibly small.

are you surprised that a company doesn't understand how to market to its fan base? this wouldn't be the first time.

Wait, didn't bronies like MLP because it's supposedly a good show that teaches about friendship and shit like that? What does it matter how the characters look then, it's still MLP right? All this proves is that bronies that are upset about this have been fapping to ponies after all.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Wait, didn't bronies like MLP because it's supposedly a good show that teaches about friendship and shit like that? What does it matter how the characters look then, it's still MLP right? All this proves is that bronies that are upset about this have been fapping to ponies after all.

It doesn't prove anything of the sort, but I do find this hilarious on some level. Mostly because my position after watching a few episodes when the show first took off was "its pretty mediocre" and now people are complaining about something else that looks mediocre.

It doesn't prove anything of the sort, but I do find this hilarious on some level. Mostly because my position after watching a few episodes when the show first took off was "its pretty mediocre" and now people are complaining about something else that looks mediocre.

It proves everything. The show looks girly to them and they're judging it without have seen it. Well that sounds familiar.

Narag

It proves everything. The show looks girly to them and they're judging it without have seen it. Well that sounds familiar.

While true, I think some concern is based in the notion that resources that could make more of what they'd rather watch were allocated to this instead.

jwk94

I don't mind MLP getting a theatrical movie, but why make them human? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the whole show?

Cheerilee

So, when/why did she leave?

I don't really follow MLP stuff.

Lauren Faust left after season 1, after overseeing the scripts for season 2. This movie spinoff takes place after season 3, a season that Faust had zero involvement with.

Officially, she left because she was unsatisfied with her reduced level of creative control over season 2. It's not clear exactly what that means, and Faust's too professional to elaborate.

Faust has expressed 100% support for Meghan McCarthy, her friend and creative replacement. She gets upset when people suggest that McCarthy is doing a bad job.

It's not clear how much of this show is coming from Hasbro, and how much is coming from McCarthy.

Takao

Banned
Hasbro's trying to make their one big girl character IP fit into the Monster High fad. They're a publicly traded business so I can't blame them.

I don't mind MLP getting a theatrical movie, but why make them human? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the whole show?

The purpose of the show is to sell toys to little girls, and I don't see how this is impeding that goal in any way. Hell, all it really does is allow for Hasbro to sell people new toys of the same damn characters they probably already own 5 figures of, but as humans/anthro ponies this time around.

So Bronies hate this because its too girly?

fucking LOL.

When you put it like that, it's certainly funny albeit a twisted and misinformed perspective.

Think of it like this. Kirby's Epic Yarn was criticized by many people, even here on GAF, for being a little overly cutesy and very shallow difficulty/gameplay compared to other flagship Nintendo titles. Now imagine some dudebro Halo fanboy coming along going "Nintendo fans complaining about a game being too kiddy? Fucking LOL." Feel free to argue that isn't the same case.

$200

Banned
I honestly can't tell if you're just having fun or you genuinely care about these things

I do genuinely care about them but I don't expect non-fans to. I pointed it out initially because someone in this thread asked why the characters in the promotion art art different to the one seen in the trailers.

Like any other pony threads in OT this has turned into a brony-bashing thread (even though in this case it both fans and non-fans are supposed to be on the same side, i.e. agreeing this looks bad). I'm out.

I do genuinely care about them but I don't expect non-fans to. I pointed it out initially because someone in this thread asked why the characters in the promotion art art different to the one seen in the trailers.

"Ah, so you do want to fuck ponies. You're just like the crazy guy in that one video. I'm so much better than you. Lolololol "

PKrockin

Like any other pony threads in OT this has turned into a brony-bashing thread (even though in this case it both fans and non-fans are supposed to be on the same side, i.e. agreeing this looks bad). I'm out.

Wait, you do care that the pony art on a box of fruit snacks is worse than in the show? Well this is awkward. I was just taking the piss with my Nintendo Cereal System post.

PaulloDEC

The look of MLP is a huge part of the show's appeal. The moral core of the show is a part of it too, but it isn't a dominant part.

So Bronies hate this because its too girly?

fucking LOL.

Who said that? Bronies are worried that a show they love is being twisted into a shallow high-school soap that falls into the very same gender-based traps that Friendship is Magic became notable for avoiding.

are you surprised that a company doesn't understand how to market to its fan base? this wouldn't be the first time.

Here's the thing though: Hasbro know exactly what Bronies like. They like My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. If they were interested in making a film for Bronies (which they aren't) they wouldn't take a risk with an entirely new spin-off. It'd be insanity.

When you put it like that, it's certainly funny albeit a twisted and misinformed perspective.

Think of it like this. Kirby's Epic Yarn was criticized by many people, even here on GAF, for being a little overly cutesy and very shallow difficulty/gameplay compared to other flagship Nintendo titles. Now imagine some dudebro Halo fanboy coming along going "Nintendo fans complaining about a game being too kiddy? Fucking LOL." Feel free to argue that isn't the same case.

That's a good analogy.

Slavik81

This doesn't look mediocre. This looks like the cynical toy-selling garbage that Faust's MLP was notable for not being.

If it were just mediocre, you might have a point... But this looks downright terrible.

Wynnebeck

Banned

Well fucking said.

PaulloDEC

Seriously can't stop laughing at this whole sequence. It's incredible.

To be fair, there is something very wrong with that top one. The nose is too pointy and too low, giving the impression of a massive forehead, and the pupil/iris in her eye are a fair bit bigger than they ought to be.

It's not a big deal, but you'd think it'd be hard to get this stuff wrong at all when you're dealing with entirely digital designs that never need to be redrawn.

Well at the very least, I found that the character designs in the actual show/movie were better than the concept art.

But something inside me just wants to cause a brain hemorrhage after seeing the words "In Theaters"

Are they seriously releasing low FPS janky animation with the same budget at the show IN THEATERS

Gosh damn someone is going to love this though, probably my little sister. I'm happy for her.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

But Kirby's Epic Yarn is good.

But Nintendo games are too kiddy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom