• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You should watch "The Act Of Killing." (Prod.Werner Herzog) come on in...

Status
Not open for further replies.

commedieu

Banned

Click for trailer.

When Sukarno was overthrown by Suharto following the failed coup of the 30 September Movement in 1965, the gangsters Anwar Congo and Adi Zulkadry in Medan (North Sumatra) were promoted from selling black market movie theatre tickets to leaders of the most notorious death squad in North Sumatra, as part of the Indonesian killings of 1965–1966. They also extorted ethnic Chinese, killing those who refused to pay. Anwar personally killed approximately 1,000 people, usually by strangling with wire.
Anwar and his friends eagerly re-enact the killings for the cameras, and make dramatic scenes depicting their memories and feelings about the killings. The scenes are produced in the style of their favorite film genres: gangster, western, and musical. Various aspects of Anwar and his friends' filmmaking process are shown, but as they begin to dramatize Anwar's own nightmares, the fiction scenes begin to take over the film's form, leading the film to become increasingly surreal and nightmarish. Oppenheimer has called the result "a documentary of the imagination."

jboOWk4EFuZZCR.jpg

j5HHnaNUsqcho_e.jpg

j1BIvMR464Cz.jpg

So, what is this documentary about? On paper, it's concerned with the genocide of Communist Party members in Indonesia between 1965 and '66. But what elevates the film is the fact that director Joshua Oppenheimer chronicles these killings through reenactments gleefully performed by the men who actually committed the murders and rapes and tortures so many years ago. What unfolds is a film that is frightening, hilarious, and, at its best moments, otherworldly. I can honestly say it's the most haunting and emotive documentary I've ever seen. It's no wonder why Werner Herzog and Errol Morris signed on to be executive producers. To get more insight on this film, we spoke with them about the making of the film and how important it could be for the future of documentary cinema. Enjoy!

—Wilbert L. Cooper

"The Act of Killing" takes more than a little getting used to. It's a mind-bending film, devastating and disorienting, that disturbs us in ways we're not used to being disturbed, raising questions about the nature of documentary, the persistence of evil, and the intertwined ways movies function in our culture and in our minds.

- LA Times. http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...act-of-killing-review-20130726,0,811540.story

WERNER HERZOG AND ERROL MORRIS TALK ABOUT 'THE ACT OF KILLING'
http://www.vice.com/read/werner-herzog-and-errol-morris-talk-about-the-act-of-killing

Out of no where, one of the theaters near me was having a screening of the film.(Nuart) Werner Herzog & the Director were having a q&a immediately after. I'm not too familiar with Werner myself, but apparently everyone else in the world is.

Its something to just give a good look at folks. Sure, we've all seen subjects of genocide/mass killings covered. But this is covered in a very surreal way by the participants themselves. The message has been seen and heard before, but not in this way. And if the film gets popular enough, hell, maybe these guys will face some sort of war crime charges(or whatever form of a slap on the wrist will bring).

Schedule:
http://drafthousefilms.com/film/the-act-of-killing

Not sure what the schedule is like, a friend heard it on the local radio station(kcrw), and we made it to a very packed small theater the day of. The Documentary is quite the journey. Its been on my mind constantly.

Anyone else catch it, any thoughts?

jtb

Banned
wow, this sounds fascinating. I don't know if I have the stomach for it though, sounds like some pretty harrowing shit.

wow, this sounds fascinating. I don't know if I have the stomach for it though, sounds like some pretty harrowing shit.

one reason why i really want to watch it. i think documentaries are at their best if they evoke a lot of emotional response from you (disgust or other feelings)

commedieu

Banned
Been anticipating this one for well over a year. Heard talk of it from the Drafthouse guys.

Can't wait.

Based on laughing at your funny posts, I think you will thoroughly enjoy it.

one reason why i really want to watch it. i think documentaries are at their best if they evoke a lot of emotional response from you (disgust or other feelings)

Its done so well. RE: Emotion.

I mean these guys have killed thousand's of people. But, they are recreating it in a terrible bollywood-esque fashion. So while you're laughing at one of the giant male leads dressed as a woman, they are reenacting a vicious rape/torture of a communist. Its the first time I've heard an audience laughing, immediately followed by an abundant silence of self reflection.

Its intense, I can't shake it. It has a good formula of some unintended comedy(Afterall, these guys are just trying to reenact it the best way they can, then the material, the horrible material, is realized.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
The Mondo poster caught my attention. Sadly, my area doesn't really have a venue for this type of stuff. Hopefully they release it on VOD sometime soon.

I don't understand. These killed 1000 people personally, why aren't they in prison. Why should we pay money to see a re-enactment of their horrific crimes?

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
as soon as the pre-orders open up for the SF showing I'm grabbing a ticket for opening day.

Reeks

iqiJiaPOzs1lb.jpg

We went to see it Friday with a Q&A with Joshua Oppenheimer and Werner Herzog. I can't stop thinking about this movie. It's one of the most important movies ever made... An honest look at how people who commit mass murder cope or don't and how systems of mass murder form around otherwise normal people.

Talon

Basically, the country itself hasn't really addressed this dark period in history. History books glaze over it.

These criminals are leaders of a paramilitary group that's a couple million members deep.

The disturbing bit: The main protagonists in the film, Anwar Congo and Herman Koto, have seen the film and neither feels deceived, according to Oppenheimer. Oppenheimer says that upon watching the film Anwar Congo "started to cry... Tearfully, he told me: 'This is the film I expected. It's an honest film, a true film.' He said he was profoundly moved and will always remain loyal to it."

commedieu

Banned
I don't understand. These killed 1000 people personally, why aren't they in prison. Why should we pay money to see a re-enactment of their horrific crimes?

I'm not sure if you understand what a documentary is. I have a feeling you didn't read anything about the film, or watch the trailer.

You're not paying to watch horrific crimes.

The message has been seen and heard before, but not in this way. And if the film gets popular enough, hell, maybe these guys will face some sort of war crime charges(or whatever form of a slap on the wrist will bring).

John Oliver on the Daily Show did a great interview with Joshua Oppenheimer about The Act of Killing:

Pt. 1
Pt. 2
Pt. 3
Watch full episode

I agree in that it's hard to recommend to people. One of the most important documentaries ever, and one everyone should see, but it's depressing as hell.

FYC

Banned
Probably not gonna ever show in the theatres where I live, but I can't wait to see it when possible.

Basically, the country itself hasn't really addressed this dark period in history. History books glaze over it.

These criminals are leaders of a paramilitary group that's a couple million members deep.

The disturbing bit: The main protagonists in the film, Anwar Congo and Herman Koto, have seen the film and neither feels deceived, according to Oppenheimer. Oppenheimer says that upon watching the film Anwar Congo "started to cry... Tearfully, he told me: 'This is the film I expected. It's an honest film, a true film.' He said he was profoundly moved and will always remain loyal to it."
This is hilarious.

You have a weird sense of humour.
It's just that this guy doesn't seem real. He's like a cartoon villain. His response to the film is something that I would expect from Doofenschmirts (sp?). It'll be interesting to see the movie with its 'surreal' scenes knowing how surreal the reality is.

Oersted

It's just that this guy doesn't seem real. He's like a cartoon villain. His response to the film is something that I would expect from Doofenschmirts (sp?). It'll be interesting to see the movie with its 'surreal' scenes knowing how surreal the reality is.

I see. I would use the word saddening, but yeah. Those men are celebrated as heroes. They never had a room for doubt. And this won't change for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom