• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should "killing simulators" be forbidden?

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
It's clearly a growing epidemic among our youth. 2022 statistics show a truly disheartening number of unsolved and unprosecuted violent crimes on the uptick. Before you say "this is just some far off third world country issue," and go about your day, allow me to ask when you, the reader, has last seen a videogame character walking his dog? Going to the supermarket? Attending church? Nay, the silence is your sheepish answer. Donate one dollar to the "I'm a Jackass," organization, and 100 cents of it will go toward being a jackass.

WitchHunter

Banned
Watching Ninja Scroll as a kid in the 90's on VHS....Definitely had to wait for Mom and Dad to be out the house...
Yes, I had the same thing with my C64... I was severely restricted to use it, maybe 1-2 hours a day. But of course I used every opportunity to extend the limitations ;). But it didn't put evil thoughts in your head, it just stimulated people in a good way. They saw something that was the pinnacle of hand-made animation and thoughtful storytelling that is very hard to imitate, let alone replicate.

Yes, there is a culture in America where violence is ok but sexuality is still very taboo. Just look at the Bill episode of Last of Us and the backlash it saw. A show loaded with violence and instances of kids and babies being killed, no problem. Two dudes in love? WOKE!!!

Phase

It's clearly a growing epidemic among our youth. 2022 statistics show a truly disheartening number of unsolved and unprosecuted violent crimes on the uptick. Before you say "this is just some far off third world country issue," and go about your day, allow me to ask when you, the reader, has last seen a videogame character walking his dog? Going to the supermarket? Attending church? Nay, the silence is your sheepish answer. Donate one dollar to the "I'm a Jackass," organization, and 100 cents of it will go toward being a jackass.
You should consider who's doing more of the crime. It's funny you bring up the third world, because they've been importing the third world into western and European countries for many years now and it's been shown the vast majority don't assimilate. When you bring third world in, as evidenced in countries like Sweden etc., you get third world problems.

lyan

Well I don't know if I would go that far.

I think individuals who are easily influenced or lean towards violent tendencies will 100% get something from video games that allows them to be even more violent than they already are. I believe this type of stimulation for someone who's already violent can be very very dangerous, That being said it is not the video games job or any piece of media's job to censor itself based on individuals who might use it to influence their future crimes.

So I believe any of those works truly can lead to incidents of violence, But ultimately I believe that violence is inevitable if the person is predisposed to this they're simply less creative without that stimuli.

Which basically means we had serial killers before the invention of video games, If we might have more creative ones now lol

@mrmustard lol damn that was a good ass series
One could also argue that such games act as a substitute so these people don't resolve to physical violence on others / animals. Hence the need of actual studies, which as said brings no conclusive proof.

Braag

I can watch any Mortal Kombat fatality and not bat an eye. But show me a real life image of someone's leg broken and bent the wrong way and I'll cringe and turn my head.
The key is to differentiate fiction from real world, if you can't do that, then you might need to seek help.

GHound

cdc.jpg

The raising of someone else's children should never become my problem.

Last edited:

Krathoon

There is a definite difference between real world violence and fake violence. Real world violence is way more brutal and drawn out and has actual consequences.

The Soldier of Fortune games lean on realistic violence and can be disturbing.

FeralEcho

Translation: "I'm too busy and lazy to actually raise my kid properly so why won't the industries just ban all harmful shit that can badly influence my kid so I can continue to be a terrible parent"

Here's a thought O.P. for anyone with children....how about...and just try to keep up with me here as its pretty complicated...how about....parents actually ACT like parents and BE responsible!?

omg GIF

Shocking revelation I know.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Guys,
I was randomly looking at the COD graphics thread. Given I never play these kind of FPSs, I was shocked to see how realistic it looked.
To be honest, I cannot imagine having a kid and being ok with them playing this kind of game non stop.

Morally, I don't think it is right that the entertainment industry gives a free pass to films and video games which depict so much violence and killing other people (even in the context of war, etc.) while at the same time you cannot even show a female nipple in a video game or on instagram.

One could argue it is useful "propaganda" as young men need to be mentally stimulated in case we have to go to war as killing is not a natural act, while sex is a natural act and you don't need to be stimulated by entertainment in order to want to do it.
Or that there is a slipperier slope from sex on screen to rapes than from killing on screen to murders.
But to be honest, I don't really buy these reasons and they are not moral to me.

Is it just the case of the US being built historically on violence and murders and having this violence in its DNA and having imposed these values to the rest of the world through mass entertainment in the last decades? But at the same time, I would think every country has, by definition, been built on sex as well? Giving birth is the most beautiful thing someone can do while killing is the contrary.

What do you think?
Should "sex simulators" be allowed (as killing simulators are)?
Should video games focused on guns, killing, etc. be outlawed or much more restricted to minors?

To add a bit:
I have always been a bit perplexed by the double standard between violence and sex in video games. Violence is morally bad while totally ok in VGs (?). Sex is morally neutral at worst while totally not ok in VG.

In a typical American family, you will find teens playing FPSs and killing Russians or Iraqis all day and the parents will not be bothered by it (just "the boys playing their xbox") while I would imagine that if the main protagonist was engaging in realistic sex on the 60' TV, even if it is in a normal and healthy way, the parents would do more than bat an eyelid lol.

Maybe it is because sex concerns everyone while American parents dont mind about Russians soldiers?
They're aimed at adults and even teenagers should know better by parenting... We can try and ban lacking parenting instead lol

But I get what you mean, one of the things I don't like about TLOU is the gratuitous violence and crudeness of the killings like, ok I know it's a cruise world but it's it really necessary to show so much detail in how a person throat gets cut and blood splashes all over the place?

It's disgusting beyond description, pure unnecessary sadistic... But yeah, there's people with those tastes and I rather they ventilate them in a game than trying to do so irl

ZoukGalaxy

No, it shouldn't.
But, yes, irresponsible parent should be forbidden to have children when they let them play these kind of game or any game extremely gore or violent, it makes violence trivial.

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Games don't influence violence any more than movies, books, board games, etc. If the potential for violence is Coded into your genes as a person raised in a country where said potential isn't a likelihood as a prerequisite of survival - then you obviously have an impediment over other functioning well adjusted people in your society. Just by default.

Be that a learned impediment from your home environment or an actual mental/physical ailment, it's still categorically sound to file these cases under problematic in the context of a modern developed society.

The issue being, to me, people's readiness to paint every issue as black and white respective of their personal involvement. People don't like solving or even indulging in tough topics, so they like to hear a story on the news, then think "serial killers are only into serial killing," "pedophiles are only into children," etc. The next step of the process is finding a hobby that the offender has, and creating correlation instead of observing it.

Once again, the mainstream media and the hopeless individualists miss the granular and hit pea sized targets with sky scrapers.

I’ve been playing video games all of my life. As with all “morally questionable” activities, and as a parent, my opinion is this: parent and be there for your kids. Talk to them. Video games are entertainment. If your kid is showing signs of addiction, violent tendencies- figure it out as a family. Be involved.

shamoomoo

You mean the sugary beverages and the ultra processed foods?
Have you heard about Juul E cigarettes.

Juul Labs, the vaping company that has long insisted it never marketed its products to teenagers, purchased ad space in its early days on numerous youth-focused websites, including those of Nickelodeon, the Cartoon Network, Seventeen magazine and educational sites for middle school and high school students, according to a lawsuit filed Wednesday by the Massachusetts attorney general.
The suit, brought by the state’s attorney general, Maura Healey, presents some of the starkest evidence to date that the company was targeting young, nonsmokers during its launch period, from June 2015 through early 2016.
Juul executives declined to address the specific charges in the complaint. Instead, a company spokesman, Austin Finan, issued a statement that pointed to recent actions Juul has taken to combat underage vaping and said: “We remain focused on resetting the vapor category in the U.S. and earning the trust of society by working cooperatively with attorneys general, regulators, public health officials and other stakeholders to combat underage use and transition adult smokers from combustible cigarettes.”

Last edited:
Guys,
I was randomly looking at the COD graphics thread. Given I never play these kind of FPSs, I was shocked to see how realistic it looked.
To be honest, I cannot imagine having a kid and being ok with them playing this kind of game non stop.

OK, I might belive that you have never played any FPS...maybe, but we're talking what...20 years + of fps games by now with ultra violence in them, and most gamers will have dipped their toe in at some stage, but ok...

But you've never seen Advertising for any fps, never seen any gameplay for a fps, never seen a review for any fps, never seen any memes or screenshots for a fps or any commentary in any other topic covering games in general...in 20 odd years. Ever.

You've literally gone your entire life without realising that FPS have realistic violence in them

XcfIbzl.gif

WitchHunter

Banned
Have you heard about Juul E cigarettes.

Juul Labs, the vaping company that has long insisted it never marketed its products to teenagers, purchased ad space in its early days on numerous youth-focused websites, including those of Nickelodeon, the Cartoon Network, Seventeen magazine and educational sites for middle school and high school students, according to a lawsuit filed Wednesday by the Massachusetts attorney general.
The suit, brought by the state’s attorney general, Maura Healey, presents some of the starkest evidence to date that the company was targeting young, nonsmokers during its launch period, from June 2015 through early 2016.
Juul executives declined to address the specific charges in the complaint. Instead, a company spokesman, Austin Finan, issued a statement that pointed to recent actions Juul has taken to combat underage vaping and said: “We remain focused on resetting the vapor category in the U.S. and earning the trust of society by working cooperatively with attorneys general, regulators, public health officials and other stakeholders to combat underage use and transition adult smokers from combustible cigarettes.”
And everyone is hooked now? Youngsters vaping left and right, can't seem to rid the cursed thing?

chessy_08

I don't get this new culture of if you don't like something you try banning it for all just like book. Guess what I don't like the Bible let's ban that? See the reverse

Top Bottom