• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Younger GAF (20-30) - What are 'older'/'classic' games to you?

cormack12

Gold Member
Just curious as to what you guys class as 'classics' or how far back you go in terms of influential games. Beyond 30, you probably get a lot of people who had siblings that were there for the real first home console generation. Heres was a GAF age poll from 2019:

I'd be curious is they align with what we traditionally liked or if there is a variance.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
28 here, so 1992. Generally about 20 years prior to whenever now is. I've been playing the Baldur's Gate games (1998/2000) this year and they definitely feel like "older" games. Whereas something like an RE4 (2005) doesn't quite feel "older" yet.

Last edited:

Orpheum

I vividly remember Legacy of Kain, Blood Omen and Soul Reaver.

I sucked ass at those games but i still loved them. Played them somewhere around 2000 with my dad when i was 7 years old

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I'm 27 and to me older classic are the first mario on the nes, Ninja gaiden on the master system.
Those were the first games I played among Street fighter 2, goldeneye, Zelda Oot and so much more.

Edit:My brother is 12 years older than me so there was a lot of consoles and games to play, I think there's pics of me at 1 or 2 years old with a snes controller in my hands.

Last edited:

regawdless

Banned
200.gif

reksveks

31, so Civilization on PC, Sim City on Snes, SF2 on PC, Mario kart. Sonic and Robocop vs Terminator on one of the Sega consoles

Onironauta

25 yo here, my first console was PSOne. I consider 'retro' games that are from 5th gen and older.

Last edited:

Paasei

I'm 29 (1991), but games before I was born, or too young to play, aren't unknown to me.
My dad was a fond collector of consoles. Not in terms of all variants of a specific one, but more like trying to get 1 of each. There are only a few consoles I have never seen in my home when I was still living with my parents.

So to me old games are the same as for most: NES and SNES games. The true classics that I played myself when I was both old enough to even understand what's going on and at the same time being from my age/time are: Crash Bandicoot and Spyro the Dragon.

The SNES in particular remained a very well visited console for me. The Aladdin game became some family tradition. When we went on vacation inside the country we took the SNES with us and beat that game. I still do that now with my GF putting her up with something she doesn't much care about. Good times.

So even if the SNES released before I did, it is a big part of my youth as it has always been relevant to me.

Last edited:

Mexen

30 here and each year, the hottest new game from Hideo Kojima, MGS3 Snake Eater gets closer and closer to being a classic.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Being 29 the games I remember most from when I was a little kid are Mario (Bros 3 and World), Zelda ALTTP, DKC and the Lucas adventure games like Day of the Tentacle, Sam & Max and Monkey Island.

Also DOOM and Quake. I probably shouldn't have seen those being so little but whatever. :goog_relieved:

Valentino

Harry Potter and the philosopher stone PS1
Harry Potter and the chamber of secrets PS1 + PS2
Tomb Raider Legend PS2

Finding Nemo and The Incredibles PS2 🤡

Guilty_AI

If its in terms of how far back in games i go, its somewhat mixed.

Although i started gaming on late 90s - early 2000s, i still played a lot of older stuff like Mega drive and Super Nintendo games, even some DOS games from late 80s like Dangerous Dave.

Last edited:

Zero7

I loved the PS1, Saturn, N64 era. 3d was just finding its feet. Games back then just felt innovative and exciting back then.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
It’s hard to not view Majora’s Mask as a classic and to me it lived up to everyone’s expectations. I remember giving someone big money $50+ for a used version.
video games n64 GIF by Because Science

Jeeves

I'm approaching 32, but I'm an only child. There was already an NES in the house when I was a baby, so even though I wasn't very good at them, I played several of the highest-profile NES games. That was after the SNES launch, but my parents bought that console late -- when I was about 4. And they bought an N64 the Christmas of its launch year, when I was 7.

I think it helps that my parents were a bit behind on buying the SNES because it gave me some time to appreciate its predecessor. Plus, even after my parents sold the NES following the SNES purchase, my best friend had an NES and a Genesis, so I continued to play NES that way and was sort of exposed to Genesis as well.

To me, the era of classics stretches from NES to the end of N64. N64 was the first console that I played lots and lots of games on though, as we started renting them. As a result I definitely missed out on a lot of well-loved classics on SNES especially until the early-mid 2000s when I began to use emulators and ask my dad to buy old games on ebay.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
I'll turn 31 in one month (April 9) and I'm feeling old :messenger_grinning_smiling:
I'm mostly a PC gamer so I played a lot of Age of Empires, Master of Olympus: Zeus, Counter Strike, Red alert II, Half Life, Rayman 2, Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine...
I played a lot of The Smurfs (SNES) with my sister, cool memories. It was a real WAR between us to take the controller haha.
My dad offer me a Dreamcast in Christmas 1999 with SoulCalibur, Virtua Tennis, Crazy Taxi, Power Stone and Jet Set Radio. ChuChuRocket was included and holy shit I LOVED that game, so much fun.
A few month after, my dad (yeah I was a lucky kid) bought me SF Rush 2049, Hydro Thunder, Sonic Adventure 1 & 2, Ready 2 Rumble, TR The Last Revelation.

Those are my main games when I was young.

Kuranghi

I'm 35 this year so very late 80s, early 90s, I started playing in earnest in the early to mid 90s but I was mostly playing older games I had read about before we got the computer, or highly respected titles that had come out in the 6-8 years prior to me starting.

TurboSpeed

Im my early 20s and started to play games on ps1 but only for a year or so before ps2. im feeling ps2 era Ratchet and Clank, Gran turismo 3 and a more hidden classic Rumble Racing would be my pick of classic games that i love. :)

Me and my dad used to play gran turismo 3 togheter alot i remember sitting in our sofa doing 4 hours of the cirkle track togheter passing the controller over every half hour driving a tuned reflex purple Tvr speed6 and winning i think it was a yellow renoult. Probably one of my best gaming memories!

sobaka770

Banned
Classics? In my day it was all Heroes of Might and Magic 2, then 3. I suppose later on it was Diablo 2, Half Life and Counter-Strike era. Good times.

Mexen

I still remember the "PSN" magazine article captions.
I remember the website. Man, that thing crawled. But boy seeing those screenshots load in all their low res glory sure was something haha. Can't believe it's been nearly twenty years.

Mexen

Jokes aside

Classics are games I played when 7-12 like Mario Bros, World of Tank, Duck Hunt, Clay Shoot, Doctor Mario. Street Fighter, MK3, Sonic... Bunch of NES, SNES and Mega Drive games. Um, Fatal Labyrinth, Streets of Rage haha
NSO scratches the itch on some of them.

YukiOnna

1992 - 28 year old here. For me it's the Gameboy/PS1/N64 era as that's when I started gaming. Stuff like AoE, Pokemon Red, Donkey Kong 64, Kirby Crystal Shards, etc.

brian0057

Banned
31 years here so... anything pre-2000.
Including the year in question.

Oh, God.
The year 2000 was over 20 years ago.

tumblr_o3vc9nUmzA1u59ogwo5_250.gif

Last edited:

Mexen

I'm curious about what 'classics' GAF played as an adult.
I was well in my 20s when I played what I still consider to be the best FF game - VI.
Around this time, 2013-2015, I played for the first time, Minish Cap, Golden Sun, Chrono Trigger, Star Ocean and a bunch of other old games

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
After the age of 30, some people even start to forget the thread title they just read👵🧓. Come on guys, we have to move on:messenger_pensive:

Fbh

I'm 29.
When someone says "classic games" I usually think about the NES and SNES/Genesis which are the games that were old but still relevant when I was a kid.

Dream-Knife

Banned
I'm 30. I remember when 3d hit, and to me thats still the divider between vintage and modern, but it is still weird thinking of SNES as vintage.

Goldeneye and Perfect Dark are still some of my favorite games and I still play them regularly; and I love a lot of SNES games.

When I was real young my dad got me into games with his Atari 800. I loved choplifter. My first console was a hand-me-down NES. I don't really care much for NES. SNES +Gameboy and later for me.

Top Bottom