• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your biggest gap in playing a game for first time (time bought/downloaded vs finally played)

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
We've all done digital hoarding with games (bought or free) where we never bothered playing it.

But any good examples of games you got hold of, but took forever to finally try it?

Off the top of my head, this game must had been around a 12 year gap. A&A Iron Blitz

- I remember downloading this from some abandonware site long time ago on my old ass PC in the 2000s
- Never played it
- Got new laptop, moved over files, but didn't move this over
- Redownloaded thinking I'd finally play it
- Never bothered
- Got a new laptop again
- Moved over files
- Finally played it. Clunky. Not surprising as it came out in 1999 according to google. Played it for maybe half an hour and never again. LOL

MPAAIBPC.jpg

Get ready for a difficulty spike.
loving it so much, the lore, the combat, it just suddenly clicked! just beat Ludwig, but still cant take on those new executioners. It surely is hard, but it kinda takes me back to when you just start the game and are scared of everything. Sigh why wont Sony give it some of that PS5 love juice

Reactions: Isa

Aesius

Resident Evil 3 - Nearly 20 years? Although I never actually owned it, I rented it and borrowed it from friends multiple times and never made it far. Nemesis scared the shit out of me. Finally played through it a couple years ago on the Dolphin emulator.

KOTOR - Around 13-14 years. I bought it around release and never got into it. Finally played it on Steam in 2017.

Final Fantasy X - 9 years. I bought it at release and shelved it for MGS2 and GTA 3. Didn't play through it until I emulated it on PCSX2 in 2010.

Dark Souls - 4 years (made several unsuccessful attempts to get into it, always quit at Undead Burg)

Bloodborne - 4 years

WoodyStare

I’m going through Oblivion rn since my first time trying it back in 2006. It didn’t quite click for me then, but recently I started a few Dark Brotherhood quests and I was hooked. I‘ve already completed that questline, and I’m almost done with the Thieves Guild. I realize there’s several hours more of content, but it’s a nice game to come back to, relax and do a few missions (albeit with some dated aspects). The music is some of the best I’ve heard, and the game also looks fantastic on the Series X with Auto HDR. Really glad I gave it another chance.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
if you discount steam sales and free stuff on PSN/Xbox/Epic. Probably Spiderman for the PS4. Came out same time as Destiny Forsaken expansion so didn't end up starting it well into the following year, think march ish (when ever the gambit season started ugh).

Ten_Fold

I brought bloodborne day 1, and didn’t play it for about 3 months later. I never played a souls game before bloodborne an I wasn’t sure if I would like that kinda game. After playing it and dying ALOT vs the second boss, after beating him I felt like I did something major. The game overall wasn’t much harder once I understood not to get greedy. To me it’s one of the greatest games in the past 10 years. Easily the best Sony exclusive since ps1/2 days imo.

Probably Grim Dawn.
I don't remember how long it took, but I bought it when it just got released on Steam and completely forgot about it until I saw my brother play it, that was around the release of the first DLC.

Esca

I have some ps2 games that are still sealed that I haven't gotten to yet and I bought them when they came out. It's sad

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I have some ps2 games that are still sealed that I haven't gotten to yet and I bought them when they came out. It's sad
That doesnt count. You havent played them yet. :)

Are you a collector? Are the games rare? Depending what games they are, they might be worth a lot of money new!

Kupfer

Uncharted 4, first trophy 9th of November 2016 and finished on 22th of September 2018.

EDIT: Misread the title.
Bought God of War 1&2 for PS2 in 2009 but played it 2017 on the Vita ( bought the game again for the Vita because I didn't had the space to connect a PS2 everytime I want to play) in preparation for God of War 2018. I fell in love with the original saga, played 3 and Ghost of Sparta as well and still got Chains of Olympus and Ascension lying around here.
I feel like the new God of War is for another generation of players and not for the fans of the originals, it's not nearly as much fun as it was on PS2/PsP/Vita.

Last edited:

Esca

True, game I have played and haven't gotten back to and want to is probably something on my steam account from the way early days. I have had my account since it first launch.

I use to collect but they were games I liked a lot. Over the past few years I've been selling of my collection and your right they are worth some money

intbal

If I can ever acquire a working 1541 drive, my answer will be this:

barb1.png

That drive dying is why I never played it in the first place. That pretty much ended my C64 gaming career. I had an NES and a PC by that time, so I stuck the C64 in the attic and never returned to it.
I couldn't find the box. But this 33 year old floppy is probably still good, right?

(stupid camera!)

Last edited:
Assassin's Creed went on sale for like $15 within I'd like to say 6 months of release? Well whatever it was it seemed like such a great deal at the time. Still shrink-wrapped. In fact still haven't played even a second of the series. I probably have like 7 titles in the franchise but those were given away by like Xbox Live and UPlay

Top Bottom