• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your Dark Generation of the Gaming.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
This topic will be controversial, but with experience in this Hobby.

I consider that the worst generation, it was for me like gamer was the launch of Xbox 360, PS3 and Nintendo Wii.

The inclusion of DLC, the Season Pass, and the worst that could exist, the cost for playing online consoles and incomplete games.

The worst thing was that large Japanese videogame companies were in crisis of ideas and originality, very few offered the titles as in the time of PS1 or PS2.

Xbox 360 Red Lights and PS3 Yellow Lights fail, the Nintendo Wii sholveware and laser fail.

I think that generation was a nightmare, hopefully it will not happen again.

I’m the opposite. I think it’s the best generation of gaming. It gave us the most originality in terms of how you play. It standardized online play as well as kept the local coop play alive. It gave us 3 unique choices for consoles plus the arrival of steam. The rise of indies also happened during this gen. It was a longer gen which meant more time to squeeze the best performance out of each system.

And probably the best thing for me was alongside new IPs, the revival of 80s and 90s games was a huge nostalgia rush. I never thought I’d see sidescrollers back at the top of the sales charts. Live Arcade, GOG, and Virtual Console were awesome.

Outside of Nintendo, I don’t really give a rip about Japanese devs. I don’t care for JRPGs (with a few exceptions) so, I REALLY didn’t see the value of a PS2. I thought OG XBOX and GC had better exclusives anyway. He may be a jerk, but Phil Phish was right. Japanese games were mostly awful that gen.

And I guess OP doesn’t remember that Sony attempted to charge $70 per game at the start of that gen but the customers rejected it. So off to season pass land we go! I mean what else did we expect when games were costing far more each gen? Did we really expect games to stay $60 and continue a never ending expansion of graphics and content? LOL!

Nah, bruh. Last gen wasn’t the darkest. The darkest (at least for me) was the period between 16 bit and the N64. Sooooo much garbage, so little potential.

(I have a feeling this topic will be heavily influenced by what decade you grew up in.)

Last edited:

pramod

Banned
I’m the opposite. I think it’s the best generation of gaming. It gave us the most originality in terms of how you play. It standardized online play as well as kept the local coop play alive. It gave us 3 unique choices for consoles plus the arrival of steam. The rise of indies also happened during this gen. It was a longer gen which meant more time to squeeze the best performance out of each system.

And probably the best thing for me was alongside new IPs, the revival of 80s and 90s games was a huge nostalgia rush. I never thought I’d see sidescrollers back at the top of the sales charts

Plus outside of Nintendo, I don’t really give a rip about Japanese devs. I don’t care for JRPGs (with a few exceptions) so, I REALLY didn’t see the value of a PS2. I thought OG XBOX and GC had better exclusives anyway.

And i guess OP doesn’t remember that Sony attempted to charge $70 per game at the start of that gen but the customers rejected it. So off to season pass land we go! I mean what else did we expect when games were costing far more each gen? Did we really expect games to stay $60 and continue a never ending expansion of graphics and content? LOL!

Nah, bruh. Last gen wasn’t the darkest. The darkest (at least for me) was the period between 16 bit and the N64. Sooooo much garbage, so little potential.

Yeah, I think that short period when pre-rendered -sprite trash was flooding the market was one of the darkest times. You can blame the success of Donkey Kong Country for that lol.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
Also want to add that RROD was a horrible stain on gaming history that should have tanked the Xbox once and for all. I didn’t actually own one until the slim came out and I remember being astonished at how my Xbox friends would keep getting new ones all the time. If that happened to me more than once I would have been DONE with that system forever. So I guess if you were an Xbox only kind of guy then yeah it was dark.

EDMIX

No, it's unfinished because the launch game was lacking content and the DLC was the rest of the game as a download.
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/capcom-admits-street-fighter-5-had-lack-of-content/1100-6439737/

Unless you're going to argue with Capcom now too "lol".

Man...read the post.

The argument is simply that you can say the same unfinished argument about any generation. NOT that it wasn't unfinished.... if you feel that way, by default it must be applied to those other generations as your issue has nothing to do with it being a download, it has everything to do with it being UNFINISHED, sooooo HOW its being delivered is irreverent, what its CALLED is irrelevant. If you feel its unfinished...that also applies for back in the day with other versions, expansions etc.

Sooo read what the post is saying, its legit saying that can be applied (and should be if you are saying you believe this) to expansions, add on, special editions etc

Enzo88

Definitely the PS3/360/Wii generation.

Not saying that it was bad, it still produced masterpieces, however Japanese companies were not as productive.

Also, i love Nintendo stuff usually and i did not particularly like their production at the time.

I prefer more exploration based Mario to the Galaxy games, Zelda Skyward Sword is the worst 3d zelda in my opinion and Brawls is not the best smash.

Last edited:

pramod

Banned
Are people implying that Japanese games are better in this gen than the last? How? When Konami has pretty much closed up shop and Capcom is barely hanging on? I just dont see it.

Sure theres been a fuckton of Persona games but not everyone is into that series.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Are people implying that Japanese games are better in this gen than the last? How? When Konami has pretty much closed up shop and Capcom is barely hanging on? I just dont see it.

Sure theres been a fuckton of Persona games but not everyone is into that series.
Not just Persona 5, but also Dragon Quest XI, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, NieR Automata, Valkyria Chronicles 4, Gravity Rush 2, Octopath Traveler and we also getting Kingdom Hearts III, Shin Megami Tensei V and Bayonetta 3 for next year.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Developers and publishers come go.

Last gen we sure got lots of games by those publishers, they also almost went out of business too.

So last gen from Capcom we got Resident Evil 5, 6. Dead Rising 1,2, Lost Planet 1,2, SF4 DMC4 etc

That type of um..."YOLO" with Resident Evil almost cost them their whole company. So we see several things different.

This gen, Resident Evil VII and Resident Evil 2 remake, Dead Rising 3 and 4 (team closed down) SF5 (was a mess but exist non the less) DMC5

So more or less you got lots of the same IP, less changes and the publisher going back to roots of concepts and trimming the fat. IF that means still staying in business....so be it. Better then having them keep trying to chase COD sales with Resident Evil 6.

Konami is in a whole different level of bad as they are probably going to shut that gaming division down.

But those publishers are not the only ones in gaming.

SEGA buying Atlus is still making great JRPGs.

Man...read the post.

The argument is simply that you can say the same unfinished argument about any generation. NOT that it wasn't unfinished.... if you feel that way, by default it must be applied to those other generations as your issue has nothing to do with it being a download, it has everything to do with it being UNFINISHED, sooooo HOW its being delivered is irreverent, what its CALLED is irrelevant. If you feel its unfinished...that also applies for back in the day with other versions, expansions etc.

Sooo read what the post is saying, its legit saying that can be applied (and should be if you are saying you believe this) to expansions, add on, special editions etc
I read your posts, but my response from the beginning was in regards to why people hate modern DLC vs. why people were more accepting of stuff like SFII, even though they didn't like it either. As bad as SFII was, it was still a finished product of what the developers wanted, however do to popularity it kept getting updates in arcades to keep playing which then, do to lack of online, resulted in having to release multiple copies on consoles. Same for expansions on PC, release finished product, if people buy it, given more of that game with a new story but at a lower price.

This is not how most modern DLC is handled, which is the differences. Of course stuff like Witcher 3 and Horizon Zero Dawn are good things with there DLC, and if that's how all modern DLC was your initial post I quoted would be right, but that isn't most modern DLC, that's the exception, and that's my point, and my point with SFII vs SFV

Last edited:

120v

for me probably early 2000s. imo the industry was starting to stagnate... lots of shovelware, the annual slew of AAA hits wasn't really a thing yet, the indie scene was a decade away, seemed like QA in general was becoming an afterthought sort of like the wild west 8-bit days

of course lots of great games from that era and i wouldn't call it "dark times" but it was when my interest of gaming was hitting an all time low

Last edited:

EDMIX

I read your posts, but my response from the beginning was in regards to why people hate modern DLC vs. why people were more accepting of stuff like SFII, even though they didn't like it either. As bad as SFII was, it was still a finished product of what the developers wanted, however do to popularity it kept getting updates in arcades to keep playing which then, do to lack of online, resulted in having to release multiple copies on consoles. Same for expansions on PC, release finished product, if people buy it, given more of that game with a new story but at a lower price.

This is not how most modern DLC is handled, which is the differences. Of course stuff like Witcher 3 and Horizon Zero Dawn are good things with there DLC, and if that's how all modern DLC was your initial post I quoted would be right, but that isn't most modern DLC, that's the exception, and that's my point, and my point with SFII vs SFV

"As bad as SFII was, it was still a finished product of what the developers wanted, however do to popularity it kept getting updates" ?? Umm you can just apply this concept to anything coming out now man.

Look. "As bad as FFXV was, it was still a finished product of what the developers wanted, however do to popularity it kept getting updates"

"As bad as The Witcher 3 was, it was still a finished product of what the developers wanted, however do to popularity it kept getting updates"

"This is not how most modern DLC is handled" How do you know though? What you are saying is based on what you THINK its happening, we don't have direct evidence to really prove really either side. ie done to sell back and stripped from final thing or added on after the fact.

"but that isn't most modern DLC, that's the exception" Ummmm what proof do you have please? You keep saying thats this or that as if you KNOW 100% that is what the developer is doing.....

Well...you don't.

funny enough, neither do I lolz. Its why this how "how its handheld" is irrelevant. You nor I really KNOW how its really being done to really say "do to popularity" or "unfinished" or "Stripped content" etc Funny enough, both don't have any hard evidence to support. Just what you or I subjectively think about them. Its why based on this, I'd have no choice but to say if I feel its stripped content, that must basically be for all games that have any add on, if I feel its honestly after the fact and the developer believes its complete....well unless they say otherwise that must be what I'd say for all titles regardless of personal bias. So I can't just say Witcher 3 is the "exception" just cause I like the game bud.... you don't know if that was unfinished, stripped content anymore then you know if it was honestly made after the fact. Really no one does other then those who made it.

Last edited:

Toe-Knee

For me it was the DC/PS2/GC/XBOX generation.

Once the DC was done the only game I actually enjoyed after was kung fu chaos on the Xbox.

I completely stopped gaming during this generation until about 2008 because I felt that games just weren't for me anymore.

"As bad as SFII was, it was still a finished product of what the developers wanted, however do to popularity it kept getting updates" ?? Umm you can just apply this concept to anything coming out now man.

Look. "As bad as FFXV was, it was still a finished product of what the developers wanted, however do to popularity it kept getting updates"

"As bad as The Witcher 3 was, it was still a finished product of what the developers wanted, however do to popularity it kept getting updates"

"This is not how most modern DLC is handled" How do you know though? What you are saying is based on what you THINK its happening, we don't have direct evidence to really prove really either side. ie done to sell back and stripped from final thing or added on after the fact.

"but that isn't most modern DLC, that's the exception" Ummmm what proof do you have please? You keep saying thats this or that as if you KNOW 100% that is what the developer is doing.....

Well...you don't.

funny enough, neither do I lolz. Its why this how "how its handheld" is irrelevant. You nor I really KNOW how its really being done to really say "do to popularity" or "unfinished" or "Stripped content" etc Funny enough, both don't have any hard evidence to support. Just what you or I subjectively think about them. Its why based on this, I'd have no choice but to say if I feel its stripped content, that must basically be for all games that have any add on, if I feel its honestly after the fact and the developer believes its complete....well unless they say otherwise that must be what I'd say for all titles regardless of personal bias. So I can't just say Witcher 3 is the "exception" just cause I like the game bud.... you don't know if that was unfinished, stripped content anymore then you know if it was honestly made after the fact. Really no one does other then those who made it.
Can I charge you 15$ for a crust and sauce only medium pizza, with 7$ more for cheese? All add-ons are 7$ as well per add-on. It may or may not be my vision but I won't say, cheese may require an additional 5$ fee for metling. Please ignore other pizza places. You're a good customer and I love you.

Last edited:

Leonidas

In terms of console generations the effect of this generation was lessened for me since I had a PC that outperformed both consoles since the beginning, but Game Pass, Xbox One X, RDR2, Sony Exclusives, Xbox Play Anywhere and Backwards Compatibility combined to make this gen a lot better.

RROD and YLOD was bad last gen but later revisions seems to have fixed those things, though it is a shame that PS3 lost the ability to play PS2 discs shortly after launch. DC/PS2/Xbox gen was great. PS1/SAT/N64 gen was good. SNES/Genesis gen was good. NES gen was good.

I'd say the worst gens are way behind us, stuff like Atari / Colecovision, but were still enjoyable at the time because that is all that there was.

cireza

There was not a particularly bad era to me. My favorite period is the MegaDrive/MegaCD/32X/Saturn period. But even after these (and also before with NES and Master System), there always was something for me. Mainly on Xbox, after that Sega went out of console business.

However, looking at Nintendo, I personally find that they have been struggling a lot in terms of games and hardware since the Wii. They have been repeating the exact same games again and again. Internally. Zelda was a breath of the wild fresh air coming from them. They can actually take risks and try new things, but it was still far from being a really polished and complete experience.

Currently, Microsoft is a godsend with the awesome hardware (Xbox One X) as well as Backwards Compatibility.

Last edited:

20cent

Banned
Probably now.
Shitty practices were introduced in the previous gen, but we reached a level where the worst became the model.
Sure, we have some quality stuff too, but most likely the swansong of the industry. There are just too many stuff coming out. Way too many to be a good thing in the end.
Or maybe not.

klosos

This generation , the dumbing down of most game mechanics to cater to the stupid.

Jumping on the bandwagon on whatever the next big thing is eg open world , Battle Royale so on.

Terrible monetization practices , Micro transactions in single player games eg Ass creed & Shadows of war , also gamers for accepting that shite.

So here is the thing Commercially we are living in the worst period ever...
but gaming is still rewarding if you don't follow the hyped stuff and just focus on fan projects, indie games and what have you... if you ignore all the hyped bullshit you can find a decent amount of games that are still focusing on delivering a satisfying experience.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
PS2/GC/XBOX gen was really boring (DC doesn't count that was awesome)

PS2 was the start of the AAA games I don't give a crap about at all era that has yet to end

before that gen i'd play damn near EVERYTHING

Last edited:

Patrick S.

Banned
When I went from the Amiga to the PC during the Windows 95 era. On the Amiga, everything just worked. On my crappy PC, lots of games tan like shit, and for many of them I had to deal with shit like memory and IRQ configuration. It became much better during the Windows 98 and 3dfx era, though.

TLZ

Banned

Yakuzaaaa.

As a PC gamer (mostly) who started gaming in the 80's, the period between 2006-2012 was a very dark one for me. My favorite genres were pretty much dead (cRPGs, turn-based strategy, adventure, simulation) and most AAA releases were cinematic 6 hour long cover-based shooters.

Thankfully, crowdfunding changed everything for the best. Now we have plenty of options to choose in a huge variety of genres again, including Japanese games that used to be a rarity on PC. Also, most AAA devs moved far away from the Call of Duty design.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Current gen, it brings nothing great new to the table, it is filled with absurd online monetisation schemes, physical distribution is hampered by the publishers, Nintendo has given up on making new games and the focus on online-multiplayer is ever increasing. It's just a continuation of the bad trends of last gen without the great creativity.

Doom85

PS3/Wii for sure (never felt interested in most of Xbox's offerings so no comment there).

It wasn't all bad, there were plenty of solid titles for the Wii, and the PS3 did pick up for sure in its second half of the gen, but there was a lot of bad. JRPGs were scarce. Horror was mostly a joke during this time, either garbage like Silent Hill Homecoming or somewhat mediocre titles like SH Downpour or Resident Evil 6. Too many shooters were just COD-inspired in style, until finally stuff like Overwatch, Splatoon, and yes even Fortnite actually dared to show shooters don't have to look so visually boring. And overall, the amount of great games was just significantly lower, they were there but it just wasn't as many. This current gen did pick things up, once PS4 got going it didn't stop and while the Wii U may not have been Nintendo's finest hour it still did release a good deal of strong titles for it and now continues to do so with Switch.

It probably didn't help the PS3/Wii gen for me that it was following my favorite gen. PS2 is just easily my favorite console ever, the amount of great games for it was insane (I think Matt from Best Friends Play said it best when he stated that it feels like you'll still always discover a PS2 game you didn't know about on occasion, the library was just that big), and Gamecube had some strong titles as well.

Ozrimandias

I dont like to use the word "Dark"....but maybe this generation hasnt been relevant like the past generations.

Its more like a improved generation of the PS360 Gen....

Toe-Knee

Meanwhile that was my absolute golden age for gaming.

Proving this is all subjective at the end of the day.
Of course. Everyone's tastes are different.

That one started out being my greatest drug the dreamcast but quickly fell off after that.

But I was also at a point in my life then where I pretty much changed everything I do after moving out.

Fbh

I don't really think there has been a dark generation.
But I guess the Ps3/360/Wii one stands out because despite having tons of awesome games it's also the one that has introduces or at least popularized the most negative elements that went on to become the norm: Gimmicky motion controls, DLC, microtransactions, season passes, game content as pre order bonus, paid multiplayer

Toe-Knee

PS3/360/Wii
... consoles get rid Cool console startups...
except for xbox 360 i think.
The PS3 has the visual build up and the swell.

Very short but it's there.

Now they all just have an epilepsy warning startup (at least PlayStation)

Ravi_elite

Banned
you people are crazy

the 360 generation was the golden years of gaming online

you never knew what would happen

look at what the 360 started out as out of the box

look at where it is today

big difference

that is what we always got for 8 to 10 years on the 360 we got major differences....

multiplayer shooters took chances

friendly fire was actually a thing

season passes > MICROTRANSACTIONS

who in the hell would praise current generation DLC over 360 gen...because 360 gen dlc was nice

Ravi_elite

Banned
This generation , the dumbing down of most game mechanics to cater to the stupid.

Jumping on the bandwagon on whatever the next big thing is eg open world , Battle Royale so on.

Terrible monetization practices , Micro transactions in single player games eg Ass creed & Shadows of war , also gamers for accepting that shite.
see this is guy gets it....this generation is the dark generation for me....i have an xbox one X..i have all the games that seemed somewhat decent.... my xbox one X is a damn media player...for netflix and hulu and amazon...and i have lost the majority of my friends from the 360 era..beause most of them walked away...and i dont blame them...we dont want to force ourselves to enjoy something...we want to just enjoy it because its enjoyful....everything on this console is forced...and this new generation of people who watch other people play video games all day....well that generation sucks...I WILL NEVER VOTE FOR SOMEONE INTO ANY OFFICE OF ANY KIND THAT SPENT YEARS STARING AT A TABLET WATCHING OTHERS PLAY A DAMN VIDEO GAME... PLAY THE DAMN GAME YOURSELF

Yeah, definitely the first few years of the ps3/360 era. Even early games that were supposed to be good like Gears or Bioshock i hated. And oh god the fucking plastic instrument obsession... There were a few early gems but man, it took a few years for things to pock up for me.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
You had the 360 which was awesome when it wasn't broken which was half the time.
You had the $600 paperweight.
You had the 480p dildo machine.

Just pure shit.

TLZ

Banned
you people are crazy

the 360 generation was the golden years of gaming online

you never knew what would happen

look at what the 360 started out as out of the box

look at where it is today

big difference

that is what we always got for 8 to 10 years on the 360 we got major differences....

multiplayer shooters took chances

friendly fire was actually a thing

season passes > MICROTRANSACTIONS

who in the hell would praise current generation DLC over 360 gen...because 360 gen dlc was nice
Another reason why I dislike it. The start of all online focus and SP AI neglect. That gen stalled the AI advancements

EDMIX

Can I charge you 15$ for a crust and sauce only medium pizza, with 7$ more for cheese? All add-ons are 7$ as well per add-on. It may or may not be my vision but I won't say, cheese may require an additional 5$ fee for metling. Please ignore other pizza places. You're a good customer and I love you.

Sure...

but the point was that this was happening those past gens, simply in different methods of delivery. I don't know why you keep trying to argue about the concept of unfinished games as if I'm telling you no or something lol

cr0w

Old Member
N64/PS1 era for me. The good shit was REALLY good, but it seemed like every other title was some licensed garbage that could barely be called a game. You also had the growing pains of companies moving into the 3D realm, and while there were lots of cool ideas the execution was almost guaranteed to be terrible.

PS2 era for me. I bought one after the DC shut down, bought over 30 games for it, and never enjoyed myself as much. Plus, SCEA actively blocked or wouldn't help exotic Japanese titles come over, so I had to get an expensive mod (the DMS3, if any of you remember) so I could play some Cave STGs. The interlaced image quality hurt my eyes yet I kept enduring it because the hype train was so huge they convinced me I had to be stupid not to like it. I realized too late it wasn't my system, spiritually, and I would have been patently happier with an OG Xbox, even though I loved Zone of the Enders and Gradius V.

I wasn't able to continue gaming anymore by the time X360 came out because college was difficult for me and I was broke, but I automatically consider that generation much better because of the online marketplaces (well, mainly XBLA) giving us the arcade fix, etc. Much kinder towards a certain breed of gamer. I know people would deny it but it really felt like SCEA wanted to use their market dominance to force a certain type of game down our throats in the 00s.

i think anyone that calls the PS2 gen bad is really delusional. like you might have not liked the games, but its almost universally agreed that that was the best generation overall. you saw every genre. RPGs, JRPGs, adventure games and some open world games (san andreas is my favorite GTA) and some of the best ever licensed games were back then. it was all too perfect before the rise of unfinished games and DLC and mictoransactions later on

its objectively the best generation by magnitude of great games. tho some of you might prefer other ones. the only other comparable one is SNES/Genesis era.

the magnitude of games has went down so far this generation. that I do not consider it. this generation and the last one had no groundbreaking JRPGs, and every other genre thats not adventure went down a hole. because games take forever to make and publishers can just get a revenue stream through DLC and mtx instead of putting investment into new projects.

I don't think the gaming industry will ever see the heights of PS2 or SNES. or hell even PS1/N64

Last edited:

kunonabi

i think anyone that calls the PS2 gen bad is really delusional. like you might have not liked the games, but its almost universally agreed that that was the best generation overall. you saw every genre. RPGs, JRPGs, adventure games and some open world games (san andreas is my favorite GTA) and some of the best ever licensed games were back then. it was all too perfect before the rise of unfinished games and DLC and mictoransactions later on

its objectively the best generation by magnitude of great games. tho some of you might prefer other ones. the only other comparable one is SNES/Genesis era.

My only real beef with the PS2 gen was Nintendo's poor output and it ending somewhat weakly. I'm probably still a bigger fan of the previous gen though since that was the last era where you really benefitted from owning all three consoles.

People complaining about the 360/PS3 gen are mostly Sony fans I think. The PS3 sucked but the 360 is by far the best Microsoft console and had one of the best libraries ever if you included all the Xbox Live games.

The last gen also saw the revival of Street Fighter and 3DS was at its peak. So no I dont think it was a bad gen at all.

So far the current gen is shaping up to be one of the worst, unless some miracle happens and PS4 ends with a huge bang.

I am super old and lived through the video game crash of 82 so yeah that was the real dark ages by far.

How did the PS3 suck when they essentially had 90% of the same library and very good to solid exclusives?

pramod

Banned
Maybe suck is too strong a word. Maybe disappointing? The PS3 is generally ranked the worst of all 4 Sony consoles.

How did the PS3 suck when they essentially had 90% of the same library and very good to solid exclusives?

the games ran like shit. 90% of non first party games were laggy. and the framerate was always below 30. most big titles that weren't from sony or a good developer ran at like 25-27 fps and it was jittery as fuck. horrible experience.

360 wasn't perfect that whole generation had technical problems running games but on average games ran better on the 360

Rayderism

I'd have to say it was my PC gamer days. I got into that about the same time Win98 came out and missed the entire PS2 era. I call it a dark time because most of it was spent getting PC games on the sly and I started feeling bad for doing that. I didn't get back into consoles until about 1 to 2 years before the PS4 came out when I bought a PS3. Been back to consoles ever since and have been much happier (also bought a PS2 and collected up many games for it....legally). Not to mention how incredibly tired I got of having to upgrade a PC every other year just to play a video game.

About the only positives of the PC days were learning to build and set up my own rigs, and collecting scads and wads of legacy (pre-PS1) console emulation. The rest just became sickening to me. Even setting up a new rig got to be an almost autistic-like annoyance to me. Dark days indeed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom