• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your favorite Cell Shaded Games (Art/Design or Gameplay)

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Did a search on cell shading and only came up with a few threads on speculations on next gen designs so sorry if someone has asked this somewhere.

With a huge list of cell shaded games such as Sly Cooper, Killer7, Catherine and then some that weren't available worldwide such as Space Battleship Yamato I wondered if there were any that people liked the design of regardless of gameplay.

I'll list a couple here.

Auto Modellista Capcom (Xbox/PS2)

Wasn't a massive fan of the gameplay with this one but I played it for awhile regardless as it filled that Initial D itch that I had at the time since the games weren't available in my region back then. I remember thinking 'If only this played a bit better'.

gIFjLYj.jpg
KUhGxkj.jpg

Veiwtiful Joe Double Trouble Capcom (DS)

My only experience with this franchise but I really enjoyed Double Trouble, had a great mix of subtle puzzles and combat.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
XIII

Without a doubt.

Shit. I had this one in my mind when I was creating the thread but then got distracted when I was looking for images. Can't remember if I completed it but I do remember really enjoying the Xbox version.

Jaroof

Viewtiful Joe Double Trouble Capcom (DS)

My only experience with this franchise but I really enjoyed Double Trouble, had a great mix of subtle puzzles and combat.

What???
Play the original!! Now!! It's so good!

As for my answers, I'd have to go with Viewtiful Joe,
Viewtiful-joe-gameplay.jpg

Windwaker,
large.jpg

No More Heroes,
no_more_heroes_56.jpg

and One Piece: Pirate Warriors.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Ahh, sixth gen cel shading. How lovely you are!

Love almost anything from that era, but the champion's trophy has to be handed to Jet Set Radio Future.
jetsetradiofuture1.jpg

Just looking at that screenshot fills me with joy.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Without a doubt, Killer7.

252644-killer_7_wii_53kuys.jpg

Surreal, delirious, and insane, in visuals, presentation, audio, story, themes, and gameplay. It's an abstract masterpiece of interactive art, as far as I'm concerned, and one of the best examples of what can be done with the medium when preconceptions, tradition, and safe design are cast aside. It just...is what it is, and is unlike anything else out there.

The only game I have signed, too.

The Wind Waker and Dragon Quest VIII.

I also saw some footage Ni No Kuni yesterday and I have to say, damn that is some impressive cell shading. At certain times it almost looks like real 2D animation.

Grisby

JET SET RAAAAAAAADIO.

Ahem. Game still holds up in the looks department. Blew my teenage mind back on the dreamcast.

Eternal Sonata

Hi9svAxl.jpg

Valkyria Chronicles

coMVg4Nl.jpg

Gravity Rush (yes, I've gotten a chance to play it through to completion through a friend, for those of you who look through my post history)

5FXFcFDl.jpg

Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga

4wsWFifl.jpg

Sly Cooper

FGAa3yjl.jpg

daripad

Okami is beautiful. I wish I had a ps3 to play it in HD.
Does Marvel vs Capcom 3 count as cell shading? Because that game look extremely well. I loved it how all the chaos happened in the screen with those beautiful graphics. And plays well with friends too.

Squire

Banned
Okami is beautiful. I wish I had a ps3 to play it in HD.
Does Marvel vs Capcom 3 count as cell shading? Because that game look extremely well. I loved it how all the chaos happened in the screen with those beautiful graphics. And plays well with friends too.

Marvel 3 counts, yep!

For me:

Valkyria Chronicles
Prince of Persia '08
Dragon Quest VIII
Rogue Galaxy
Dark Cloud 2
Viewtiful Joe

I love cel-shading!

zeitgeist

Prince of Persia for art/Design and Wind Waker for Gameplay.

I love the look of cel shading for pretty much all the games listed so far.

Its funny how, so far, no one's opinions are really lining up with each other.

Anyway, I only liked Wind Waker's Cell Shade, it's clean and timeless. Most other games look fairly rough compared to it.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Prince of Persia 2008
Okami
Wind Waker

EDIT: I have yet to play Valkyria Chronicles, but it looks awesome. I have it on my shelf..

Without a doubt, Killer7.

252644-killer_7_wii_53kuys.jpg

Surreal, delirious, and insane, in visuals, presentation, audio, story, themes, and gameplay. It's an abstract masterpiece of interactive art, as far as I'm concerned, and one of the best examples of what can be done with the medium when preconceptions, tradition, and safe design are cast aside. It just...is what it is, and is unlike anything else out there.

The only game I have signed, too.

i need to get around to playing this. i've had it on my backlog for over a year now. it's just sitting in a box upstairs. i have no idea what kind of game i'm in for.

Cramoss

Wind Waker
Viewtiful Joe 1 and 2
Cel Damage
Killer 7
Ni no kuni

Haven't played Okami but it looks really cool as well.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Why has no one mentioned Slap Happy Rhythm Busters?

It snd Jet Set Radio are at the top of my list.

Shabutaro

Really liking this thread. Always knew Ive loved cel shading, but so, many of these games are simply gorgeous.

I have to say valkyria chronicles. The design is flawless in my opinion,

Naruto storm and wind waker are winners too.

Top Bottom