• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your favorite character portraits

Numb

rbff2-select.png

realbout01.png

rb_2_photo8.png

118124215658.png
Yes
KOF series has so much too

Character portraits are one of my favorite components of RPGs and they're one of the essential things for a JRPG for me. I just can't think of one without it. They give you a clear since of the character's personality. Bad ones for me are the ones that has the character's mouth open. It looks awkward and I want to read all the dialogue as if the character is shouting.

Here are some of my favorites.

Final Fantasy series

latest

Cecil Harvey from FFIV

latest

Porom from FFIV

Garnet from Final Fantasy IX Couldn't find a non-tiny version of her short hair portrait. It's far cuter than her long hair one.

latest

Rikku Final Fantasy X

Other Games

Laura from Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia

Choco and Deikbeck Arc the Lad (I'm not sure why it's so hard to find character portraits) This makes three I couldn't find with google.

Battle-lategame.png

Dragon Quest V's

original.jpg

564520-street-fighter-ii-analisis-retro.jpg

Street Fighter II's Lose ones. Would be cool if they brought these back.

Since Minsc was already posted I'll offer up my other favorite cRPG bro.

265px-Eder-portrait.jpg

Oh that's where this is from? I think this is someone's avatar on here.

Mephala

I love the artworks in Tactics Ogre.

I also really like the portraits in Advance Wars. I prefer the old stuff but Days of Ruin had some charm to it too.

And I'll shout out to Shadowrun series. Every character looks a little twisted and different. Everyone looks like they have their own story to tell. Dietrich, Monica, Gobbet, Lucky Star and Racter are some of my favourites. Izzy, Blitz and Gaichu are pretty great too as are some of the NPCs.

Not sure if this counts, but I've been thinking about this interface and character portraits ever since I played WoW 10 years ago or so (quit a while back)

I think it was called Reborn UI or something, but it was custom made by a member of The Axemen who had a "famous" video back in the day called MC Done Quicker.

TTweKrQ.jpg

pizzacat

Banned
hqdefault.jpg
Pharah beta portrait, which is better than her vanilla game one

pharah_portrait_render_by_nautox1x-daafsus.png

mvc2-strider-hiryu-article_image.jpg
strider from mvc2

latest
cable

468319-psylocke.jpg
psylocke

CVS_Yamazaki.jpg
both versions of yamazaki in cvs2

CVS_Chun-Li.jpg
capcom side of chun in cvs2

c_sakura.jpg
capcom side of sak in cvs2 (luv kinu <3)

f378c198c6c2c00bfb85b2fdb4517a2e.jpg
snk dict

and

King.of.Fighters.full.903337.jpg
the only gaming portrait that needs to be in houses everywhere

Stiler

Character portraits are one of my favorite components of RPGs and they're one of the essential things for a JRPG for me. I just can't think of one without it. They give you a clear since of the character's personality. Bad ones for me are the ones that has the character's mouth open. It looks awkward and I want to read all the dialogue as if the character is shouting.

Here are some of my favorites.

/snip

Oh that's where this is from? I think this is someone's avatar on here.

It's from Pillars of Eternity.

RedToad64

I have always really liked the Mega Man Legends portraits from the various games. These are some of the more minor characters.
copsBIG.jpg

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
90's games, especially JRPGs, were a goldmine for these. FF6, FF7, FFTactics, Castlevania: SotN, Shining Force I and II.. man, Japanese character designs used to be so good.

Loved Anri's in SF1
anri_join.gif

And Balbaroy
520012-balbaroy_face.gif

More random ones I found
15421.png

Yessss

I won't lie... I crushed hard on that portrait as a 15 year old girl xD

I love the artworks in Tactics Ogre.
It crushes me how good Yoshida's art used to be. It's such trash now. :(

I often feel I'm the only person that really enjoyed Abyss Odyssey and all the character portraits in it were a joy. Here's a little Paganini for you.

jEywPdn.png

Mephala

I often feel I'm the only person that really enjoyed Abyss Odyssey and all the character portraits in it were a joy. Here's a little Paganini for you.

jEywPdn.png

I really enjoyed the game but I was a bit bored with the setting and characters. I wish there was a little more to it. I also don't know why but it takes me quite a while to get back into the groove and flow of the game whenever I try to. The portraits are brilliant though.

Van Bur3n

Always looked forward to meeting an NPC who was a talking head in Fallout. The final one you face in the first one was disturbingly awesome.

maxresdefault.jpg

XfgAWtj.jpg

Radiant Historia Perfect Chronology.

On a more serious note, I adore the Ace Attorney games' portraits. On top of being large, detailed, and well animated. They often have interesting gimmicks to their designs, usually involving some more elaborate animation. I'd some some examples of particularly great ones, but they're usually a bit spoilerific.

RPG Maker 2000 RTP

ab0RvJp.png
"My nick is Marcus"

True programmers get this.
Oh man, the 2K RTP graphics really take me back.

Top Bottom