• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your Favorite Films of the 2010s

kunonabi

These aren't necessarily the movies I think are the best of the 2010s, they don't really match my movies of the year list, but are the ones I like the most and tend to rewatch. Didn't really start keeping track stuff I watched until 2017 so there is probably a bunch of stuff I'm missing especially in terms of foreign films from the earlier parts of the decade since I used wikipedia to look things up.

Easy A
The Expendables
Faster
The Secret World of Arrietty

Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol
Rango
From Up on Poppy Hill

The Amazing Spider-Man
The Expendables 2
Lockout

Escape Plan
Her
The Last Stand
The Lords of Salem
Pacific Rim
Pain & Gain
Prisoners
You're Next
Police Story: Lockdown
The Wind Rises
The Tale of the Princess Kaguya

Birdman
The Equalizer
The Expendables 3
Nightcrawler
When Marnie Was There

The Case of Hana & Alice
Crimson Peak
Creed
Miss Hokusai
Mississippi Grind

Fences
The Handmaiden
The Love Witch
The Nice Guys
Shin Godzilla
The Wailing
The Witch
Your Name

A Cure For Wellness
Th Blackcoat's Daughter
Wind River
Ingrid Goes West
Happy Death Day
Phantom Thread
The Foreigner
This is Not What I Expected
Reset
Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets
A Silent Voice
Midnight Runners
In This Corner of the World
A Taxi Driver

Thoroughbreds
You Were Never Really Here
Lean on Pete
My Hero Academia: Two Heroes
Creed II
I Want to Eat Your Pancreas
Gonjiam: Haunted Asylum
One Cut of the Dead
Paddington
Summer of 84
Blue Amber
Vox Lux
The Spy Gone North
Shoplifters

Godzilla: King of the Monsters
Crawl
Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark
Rambo: Last Blood
The Lighthouse
Dark Waters
The Two Popes
Cheer Up, Mr. Lee
Hello World
Juror 8
The Fable
The Odd Family: Zombie on Sale
Arctic
Lupin the IIIrd: Fujiko Mine's Lie
Ford v Ferrari
Klaus
Ride Your Wave
First Love
In Fabric
Under the Silver Lake
The Nightingale
Okko's Inn
The Man Who Killed Don Quixote
Parasite

K1Expwy

Without a hint of irony, I believe The Social Network is the greatest movie of the 21st century (so far). It's a practically perfect piece of filmmaking which some people shun because "who cares about Facebook".
Do you mind explaining the high praise as a film, because I thought it was a well-made movie that didn't really leave an impression on me. Meanwhile I thought all of Villeneuve's films are brilliant (Enemy and Arrival less so, but still very good), along with Whiplash and other top films of the '10s

I have opinions about the modern tech giants, but Facebook as a platform doesn't mean anything to me either way, it wouldn't influence my judgment of the film's merits. I think I'll revisit the movie later this week to pick up on anything I missed earlier

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Do you mind explaining the high praise as a film, because I thought it was a well-made movie that didn't really leave an impression on me. Meanwhile I thought all of Villeneuve's films are brilliant (Enemy and Arrival less so, but still very good), along with Whiplash and other top films of the '10s

I have opinions about the modern tech giants, but Facebook as a platform doesn't mean anything to me either way, it wouldn't influence my judgment of the film's merits. I think I'll revisit the movie later this week to pick up on anything I missed earlier

It's a movie that fires on basically every cylinder. Fincher's slick and urgent direction, an absolutely watertight two hour script from Aaron Sorkin, a role that Jesse Eisenberg was born to play, a killer soundtrack from Reznor and Ross, and a genuinely fascinating story about a kid who bent the American dream around his finger. It doesn't matter if you like Facebook or Zuckerberg (I don't like either), it doesn't matter that it's not a grand epic, for me The Social Network is as close to perfect as a piece of filmmaking has been in the last 20 years. Citizen Kane is given its merits almost exclusively on the cinematography, and in that sense it was certainly more ground-breaking, but I sincerely believe that as a story of a man's rise to success at the expense of his humanity, The Social Network is the modern Citizen Kane. I watch it at least once a year and I must have seen the thing 20 times now.

Some might see this as silly hyperbole, it's just how I feel. I haven't seen a film from after the year 2000 that captives me as much.

Last edited:

SpiceRacz

MV5BMTY4NTM2MDg5OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDA3OTAwMTE@._V1_.jpg

Top Bottom