• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your favorite non-fiction books and a short reason why

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who

Banned
Non-Fiction > Fiction in my honest opinion, just for sheer fact that the story actually happened. Non-fiction has the capacity to make me drop my jaw in awe and shake my head in disbelief like no other genre of reading.

Miracle_in_the_andes_bookcover.jpg
Miracle in the Andes
Nando Parrado

The single most inspiring and unbelievable tale of survival and human triumph that I have ever read. Inspired me and changed so much about how I see life. I will teach my kids about this guy. Also, if you know nothing about this story, do yourself a huge favor and don't do any research on it and just read this book. Remarkable.

Nothing to Envy
Barbara Demick

A fascinating insight into what I think is the most interesting country of our modern times. This book gives perspective from inside the Hermit Kingdom itself and will leave you in shock and disbelief at the stories of its citizens who eventually had came to learn that their entire existence was a lie. I came away from it with a much better understanding of North Korean life, as well as a sheer sense of awe that such a place exists in the 21st Centurty. Also it was a GAF recommend from the What Are You Reading thread, so thanks GAF :)

12 Years a Slave
Solomon Northup

The events that transpired in this man's life are nothing short of amazing and are absolutely worth reading from the man himself. He writes very well and does an incredible job telling the story and conveying the emotions he felt during these trying years.

Black Elk Speaks
John G. Neihardt

Words translated from Black Elk himself, he accounts his life and his people's struggle with the Wasichus (Americans). He recalls events like Wounded Knee Massacre and other important pivotal happenings from that time in a heart-breaking, emotional tale with remarkable insight into Native American theology and culture. A must-read for anyone interested in Native American history, and also its only $0.01 for a paperback version on Amazon sooo..

So how about you GAF? What are your favorite Non-fiction books that have inspired you, shook you, or that you just thought were an amazing story worth sharing?

FnordChan

Hackers-Levy-Small.jpg

Hackers: Heroes of the Computer Revolution by Steven Levy (1985) - This book had a big impact on me in high school, though not enough of one that I went on to become skilled in computers in any area whatsoever. However, I loved reading about the development of computer technology and the subcultures that surrounded the pioneers discussed here. Hackers is divided into three sections: The 1960s, where the introduction of minicomputers such as the PDP-1 allowed direct access to computer programming (as opposed to handing over a pile of punch cards and waiting to see what results were spat out); the 1970s, where the concept of the portable microcomputer was popularized commercially with the Altair 8800; and the early 80s, where On-Line Systems (later to become Sierra) was fighting legal battles over video game copyright. It all makes for a fascinating read and there's a heavy video game history angle; in addition to the stuff about Jawbreaker you get to read in detail about the development of vastly influential early games such as Spacewar!, Colossal Cave/ADVENT, and Zork. For anyone reading GAF, Hackers comes highly recommended.

FnordChan

Zane

Hackers-Levy-Small.jpg

Hackers: Heroes of the Computer Revolution by Steven Levy (1985) - This book had a big impact on me in high school, though not enough of one that I went on to become skilled in computers in any area whatsoever. However, I loved reading about the development of computer technology and the subcultures that surrounded the pioneers discussed here. Hackers is divided into three sections: The 1960s, where the introduction of minicomputers such as the PDP-1 allowed direct access to computer programming (as opposed to handing over a pile of punch cards and waiting to see what results were spat out); the 1970s, where the concept of the portable microcomputer was popularized commercially with the Altair 8800; and the early 80s, where On-Line Systems (later to become Sierra) was fighting legal battles over video game copyright. It all makes for a fascinating read and there's a heavy video game history angle; in addition to the stuff about Jawbreaker you get to read in detail about the development of vastly influential early games such as Spacewar!, Colossal Cave/ADVENT, and Zork. For anyone reading GAF, Hackers comes highly recommended.

FnordChan

This and Masters of Doom

Born-to-Run-Cover.png

In Born to Run, McDougall tracks down members of the reclusive Tarahumara Indian tribe in the Mexican Copper Canyons. After being repeatedly injured as a runner himself, McDougall marvels at the tribe's ability to run ultra distances (over 100 miles) at incredible speeds, without getting the routine injuries of most American runners. The book has received attention in the sporting world for McDougall's description of how he overcame injuries by modeling his running after the Tarahumara. He asserts that modern cushioned running shoes are a major cause of running injury, pointing to the thin sandals worn by Tarahumara runners, and the explosion of running-related injuries since the introduction of modern running shoes in 1972.

Theo-Fleury-Playing-with-Fire-2011.jpg

Playing with Fire is the best selling autobiography of former National Hockey League (NHL) player Theoren Fleury. Co-written with author Kirstie McLellan Day, Fleury documented how he became a star player, Stanley Cup champion and Olympic gold medalist despite battling drug and alcohol addictions that ultimately ended his NHL career and led him to contemplate suicide. In the book, he made allegations that he was sexually abused by his junior coach, Graham James, and subsequently filed a complaint with Winnipeg Police Service. Graham James was prosecuted and was sentenced to jail time. Playing with Fire was a 2010 Libris Award nominee for top non-fiction book of 2010 by the Canadian Booksellers Association.

These two are probably my favorite, but I will admit I do not read as much non-fiction as I should.

obin_gam

The Disaster Artist
disaster_artist.png

About the making of The Room and Sesteros and Wiseaus friendship.

It makes you both laugh at, and tear up at Tommy Wiseau.
It's fantastic.
The audiobook is even greater than the printed one because Sestero narrates it and he does Wiseaus voice when on those parts.

I mostly read non-fiction books. I don't know why, but I usually prefer fiction with pictures.

I like fairy-type type fiction. Cute and happy and nice, like Fushigiboshi no Futagohime.

Some of my favourites are The Singularity is Near, by Ray Kurzweil, Physics of the Future, by Michio Kaku, and Delusions of Gender, by Cordelia Fine.

Red

This book should be required reading for every student. It delineates the relationship between colonizer and colonized and explains how knowledge is used as a means with which those with power control those without. It may sound alien to those in ostensibly free nations, but its universal relevance is a sad reminder of the ongoing state of human affairs.

It is a great complementary to Sagan's The Demon-Haunted World.

1350810.jpg

Cochrane: Britannia's Sea Wolf - Donald Thomas

Amazing Georgian/Victorian ... Admiral Thomas, Lord Cochrane was the inspiration for Horatio Hornblower, and O'Brian's Jack Aubrey. Check his wiki, he's one of those people who's life, had it been fiction, no one would believe it.

19108627.jpg

Rage to Live - Mary S. Lovell

A biography of Sir Richard Burton (not the actor) An amazing man, who could speak 29 languages fluently. Who visited Mecca and Medina, knowing that, if discovered as a westerner and/or non moslem, he would be beheaded. Who translated The Thousand and One Nights, The Perfumed Garden, and The Kama Sutra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom