• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your favorite space battle ever in movies/series

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Battlestar Galactica. "Exodus, Part 2." The scene where the title ship jumps down just above New Caprica's surface is GOAT.

Battlestar Galactica. "Exodus, Part 2." The scene where the title ship jumps down just above New Caprica's surface is GOAT.

The atmospheric "bucket drop" jump. So fuckin' cool indeed!

4F0JSyF.gif

Star Trek II Kirk vs Khan

Star Trek VI Kirk vs Chang

Stargate's various series have had some good ones but he'll if I can recall specific episodes events/names.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
This was a one-sided battle, but I greatly enjoyed this space battle scene for some reason. (Didn't want to find a gif that showed what happens next..)

Star_Trek_Beyond_Battle.gif

nitewulf

Legend of Galactic Heroes: My Conquest Is the Sea of Stars , the defense of Iserlohn Fortress. A space battle at the sound of Bolero's Ravel. The whole thing is deliciously soothing. The Battle of Vermilion in the show is by far the most interesting one but it lacks the finesse of the style of the movie. The whole show is bloody amazing in the construction of operatic space battles. Eighth Battle of Iserlohn where basically two Death Stars fight against one another? C'mon. That's impossible not to love.

why does it always gotta be some obscure anime shit

TheXbox

Return of the Jedi and Rogue One are #1 and #2, respectively. I don't Adama's Maneuver qualifies as a space battle but it sure is baller.

The expanse TV show when the Martian flagship gets picked up by a mysterious aggressor.

' they are firing rail guns... Would would be crazy enough to get into cqb of such a ship? '

All of them?

I mean, come on, exploding space ships is why you watch 'spaceship show' anyway, as pointed out by Douglas Adams in Mostly Harmless.

But I think the planning and impact of the actual engagement is best done in Babylon 5 and BSG (both for different reasons, but they both have 'realistic' aspects to their rule-set and particularly the range and diversity of technology per race is interesting in B5, even prompting dialogue about the aesthetics of design at one point. The fact that that would come up at all is what makes the show great in terms of engagement with its diegesis).
I quite like the OP's inclusion of the Reavers in Firefly though. The idea that the enemy is uncaring about its safety or chances, and already too close, is what makes that great.

Melancholia.

Oh you.

But points for realism.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Jedi final assault. No cg!

Best variety too.

The text description of the escaping Mind in the beginning of Excession by Iain Banks - and the payoff at the end....

CWUDAdA.jpg

MLqNz7b.jpg

goDSuLZ.jpg

The Empire Strikes Back - asteroid field chase

Jedi might be more technically impressive but i think Empire really had something special. the use of color and the deep blue of that super star destroyer is just something to behold. the music in that scene is awesome as well, as we see tie fighters getting smashed by asteroids, pieces of ships careering across space and crashing into rocks, and the music is soaring and swooping around.... it's perfect.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
People keep saying Rogue One...is it bad that I saw the movie a week ago and don't really remember the scene they are talking about?

My votes go to RotJ and Galactica. Epic. Timeless. Meaningful.

The final two episodes of season 2 and the first four episodes of season 3 of BSG may be one of the best six-episode arcs of any TV show.

Peak arrogant smug Gaius Baltar, the "ONE YEAR LATER" mindfuck, the dystopian episodes starting season 3 that was really nothing like the rest of the show, and then the untoppable Exodus two-parter which I don't think I need to reexplain since others already have here.

If that show had ended at the end of season 4.0 with another mindfuck like that, instead of the generally terrible final stretch of episodes, I don't think it could have been topped.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Wrath of Khan man. The submarine style combat is so nice and tense, with real casualties and damage.

Rogue One was fun but Jedi edges it out because of the variety of ships.

Rogue One had loads of different ships in the battle
The standard capital ships
X-Wings
Y-Wing
U-Wings
Hammered Corvette
The Ghost

the only thing missing at that time are A-Wings which would be a bit weird appearing immediately before the Battle of Yavin.

RotJ
R1
BSG: Storming New Caprica
Klendathu drop is Starship Troopers
The battle in The Expanse

The rescue at New Caprica in Battlestar Galactica was an absolutely astounding one. Visually it's spectacular, the stakes are high, Adama's plan is breathtakingly magnificent and the arrival of the Pegasus was nothing short of glorious.

But for all the visual splendour there's so much more to it than that. It's about Adama knowing he and the Galactica aren't coming back from that fight. It's about the right decision being to leave the superior ship, the Pegasus, to protect what remains of the fleet. It's about the Cylons wanting the Galactica destroyed so badly that they don't have time to respond to the Pegasus when it arrives with all guns blazing. It's about the Pegasus going out like the razor it was, with utter devastation in its wake. It's about Saul motherfrakkin' Tigh's face at the end of the episode.

It's about decisions and choices, about the right thing to do versus what you can live with. But also it's about "Launch them! Launch them all!" and "This outta be different..."

All this. Was absolutely amazing when debuted.

I loved the Falcon trying to escape in Empire Strikes Back. The way it moves, like a roller coaster. Wish there was a game with that scale and odds.

Never tell me the odds.

Yeah it's a good sci-fi film. Not particularly dark and the main character is a kid in his early teens with a sometimes shrieky voice but he's still alright. Some will say this-and-that on how well it adapted details of the book but it got the essence down well. I recommend a watch.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5ev-nOWJH8

No, it's a shit movie, but a great book. Every nuance and interesting thing about the characters is absolutely eviscerated by the film.

Maledict

Babylon 5, Season 3, the episodes Severed Dreams and Shadow Dancing.

Severed Dreams was the cumulative of a three year plot line, and crossed a line that (at the time) no-one thought you could do in an episodic tv series. By declaring independence and going to war against their own government, and the first time we saw the upgraded station in a full scale battle. Plus the ending was fantastic.

Shadow Dancing was (likewise) the first time the younger races faced off against the Shadows and won. We got to see the White Star fleet in action for the first time, the Vree saucers, Minbari and Narn ships fighting together - plus it was (unlike Star Trek) extremely three dimensional in its design, with ships attacking each other from below, above etc.

Babylon 5s CGI may have aged badly, but it did things that no sci-if series had done up to that point both in terms of storyline development and how space battles were fought.

jb1234

For sheer visceral impact, it's hard to beat the one in Star Trek: Beyond when the Enterprise
gets torn to shreds.

I actually thought the Rogue One space battle was sort of boring. It didnt have any characters i cared about participating in it, no cap ship slug fest and was mostly CG nonsense. Hammerhead was cool though

Yup. Without any characters to care about, it was just about as shallow as the space battles in the prequels. Pretty, granted but I can barely remember a thing from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom