• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your favorite third party accessories?

teezzy

Banned
Recently, I was in the market for a PS2 controller extension cable to give myself extra slack when gaming in my recliner, and felt grateful to have stumbled upon a sealed Monster branded cable on Ebay.

s-l300.jpg

In their day, Monster products were pricey, and often excessive in their bulk/form factor. I'm retroactively appreciative of this now when hunting down older cables due to how expensive OEM equivalents can run. Monster accessories are ones you can trust and are built to last.

m73842572118_1.jpg

I'd also always loved this High Frequency SNES controller as a kid. I'm fairly certain this was the RadioShack brand, but it has a textured plastic which always felt far grippier than the OEM controller and I loved it for that.

Last but not least was this Pelican made GC Retro Pad designed for 2d Gamecube platformers, and the GameBoy Player.

Hori's version was super costly, and I had found this cheaper than Hell at the time. Even this sells for a pretty penny. Wow though. It was a game changer. Made the GBA player feel like a SNES 2.

gc-retro-pad-pelican.jpg

I wish I'd have held onto that one.

How about you guys?

Sejan

I love the newer 8bitdo controllers and accessories. They are great things all quality and natively connect to the Switch.
8bitdo-sn30-pro-game-28859.jpg

8Bitdo-Sn30-Pro-Plus-Bluetooth-Gamepad-03.jpg

Last edited:

GametimeUK

Although it's expensive, I love my power bank for the Nintendo Switch. I also love my Xim4 for PS4. I don't really do many 3rd party accessories.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Everything is third party on PC, but I'm all over the Razer Hydra. Motion aiming feels pretty great, even better when it's natively supported like in Portal 2. That game's even got official single-player and co-op campaigns made just for this hardware.
2Si8mSU.jpg

Type_Raver

So many options, but it's gotta be a steering wheel setup for SIM racers.

I have the older Logitech G27, but it's married to my PC and haven't tried t9buse it with GT SPORT on PS4.

I’ll stand by Hori products for the most part. Off the top of my head I can’t think of anything made by them that is bad. The fighting commander is amazing.
lcpaaodifjhkdonk__73865.1584234915.png

And say what you will about Scuf but the Vantage and Impact controllers are great.
web_collectionbanners_vantage2_600x400_Charcoal.png

And shoutout to the Negcon as well!
Namco_Negcon_centred.jpg

I love the newer 8bitdo controllers and accessories. They are great things all quality and natively connect to the Switch.

This. 8bitdo makes great stuff. The pro controller is better then the Nintendo one

I know people shit on this thing but it was pretty useful for grinding out JRPGs.

Last edited:

Intoxicate

I like the original design better which were closer to the originals. So I had to customize the new versions. Realized the colored Super Famicom buttons or the purple ones don’t look right. Here’s my take on it. Took the SN Version added buttons from two original SNES controller and the dpad from the GB edition.

Great controllers anyway.
xMwLSJC.jpg

xMwLSJC.jpg

Last edited:
Hori arcade sticks and Brooks / MC Cthulhu converters. I can play everything from NES up to PS4/Switch with the same sticks. Hori sticks sometimes have mediocre "guts", but that is the easy part anyway. IMO the main reason to invest into an arcade stick (instead of building one yourself) is for the quality of the case, and Hori cases are absolute beasts in terms of quality and longevity.

Birdo

Banned
The SG Pro Pad for Megadrive (I used it on my Amiga and Master System). They also has a SNES version.

Really soild build quality.

5834003-1-MegaDrive-SG-ProPad-Controller-transp.jpg

jaysius

Banned
Brooks X One for the Xbox Controller, lets you use Xbox Elite controllers on PS4, and has awesome battery life, and almost no input lag, the only time you can really notice slight input lag is with a Soulslike game, other sloppy games like God of War and anything else is perfect.

Last edited:

llien

Alternative joysticks for fucking Switch, since fucking Nintendo can get away with releasing low quality garbage and calling it "joy cons". Those drifting sticks are so much fucking joys, I can't stop swearing.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Not really an accessory but Action Replay Plus cart helped me unlock all the Japanese games for the North American Sega Saturn.

Banned
well here's the best Third party controller ever made

8138159900_1355238780.jpg

not only is it wireless, it also beats the original PS2 controller in every imaginable way.
better sticks, better buttons, WAY better D-pad and IMO better ergonomics.

there's also a variant for the Xbox

xbox_logitech_wireless_ctl_2.jpg

Top Bottom