• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your "Perfect" Batman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veelk

Banned
I want a Superman version of this thread afterwards.

I'd also say Wonder Woman, but everyone besides comic book readers are just going to stare at each other awkwardly.

Animated series version, no question. Now if we're talking best not-batman batman, then my answer would be John Reese from Person of Interest:

fRqWsQ1.jpg

With Finch as Alfred and Root as Oracle.

I'd also say Wonder Woman, but everyone besides comic book readers are just going to stare at each other awkwardly.

I mean even comic readers wouldn't have much to say.

WW doesn't have a lot of range.

What is the nature of the setting? (Universe with other superheroes, just Batman, realistic, campy, etc.)
Gotham City would be tweaked to be a bit more surreal and nightmarish. A bit run down during the day, but border on gothic at night when the supervillains come out to play.

What are Bruce's skills, his proficiency in each, and their focus in the stories?
Bruce is a detective first and foremost. His strength shouldn't be scoffed at, but his brain and gadgets should be where a significant amount of his wins comes from. My batman would be a fair bit slimmer and more acrobatic instead of the walking tank you see in the DCEU.

How clear is the division between Bruce Wayne and Batman in Bruce's psyche?
I don't like the idea that Bruce Wayne is just a facade. I think Bruce's playboy persona and laid back attitude are exaggerated for effect, but he genuinely enjoys making people laugh and seeks companionship. He just doesn't have the time to commit to it all, so it doesn't come off as genuine to a lot of people. Batman would be his inner drive, but Bruce is a part of him too.
What rules does Batman follow in his crusade and what his emotional response to it?
He pretty firmly believes in the no kill rule with no guns being an extension of that. Every life is a life worth saving to Bruce. Even gotham's greatest scum must live to see justice.
What is Bruce's relationship to his villains like?
Bruce is pretty devoted to stopping them, but he can see where a lot of them went wrong and snapped, and thus feels a fair bit of pity for them. Won't stop him from kicking their ass to save innocence, of course.
What is Bruce's relationship to other superheroes like?
I could write all day about this, since I think it would vary by the superhero. He respects them all, and eventually comes to consider most of them as allies. MOre on that in a second.
Is Bruce a father?
In a way. He becomes a father figure to many
Who is part of the Batfamily, if it exists?
Barbara and Dick would be his main side kicks, with the two rotating out for others as the story continues on.
What is Bruce's character arc/development throughout the story?
Bruce slowly learns that the burden doesn't have to be just his to bear, sharing his struggle and collaberating with more characters throughout the story as he lets his guard down.
Does Bruce have a significant other?
I'm a fan of incorporating Andrea into whatever Batman universe I'd create, but of course that doesn't last.
How does Bruce die? (Or how does the story end?)

Bruce, in his old age, makes a fatal mistake on a mission, dying alongside the Joker.

Is Batman ultimately a hero or positive figure? Does he generally succeed in his mission?

Batman does a lot of good, and the difference he makes is substantial, but there' s the overhanging sense that Gotham will never be truly as safe as Bruce would like.

Nudull

Banned

Yes, we need a Superman version of this questionnaire. Would the OP be willing, though? XD

i'd say BTAS mixed with Nolan's version.

myman.jpg

The only problem is I have with the live action stuff is that he doesn't do enough detective work. To me, Batman is first and foremost a detective. The formidable martial arts skills and gadgets come later.

Which is why I absolutely love in the game Batman: Arkham City, when you go through
Ra's Al Ghul's
navigational challenges, he keeps calling Batman "detective."

Love the thread concept OP. Sorry that I can't add too much to the discussion; I have to admit that for a self-declared "Huge Batman fan" I know relatively little about the guy. I'm looking to remedy that in the next couple of years though.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
What if Gotham (or whatever imaginary state Gotham exists in) had the death penalty?

How would that change Batman's quest for "justice"?

Veelk

Banned
I mean even comic readers wouldn't have much to say.

WW doesn't have a lot of range.

I think she does. It's just less because bajillion writers have done her and more that none of them got popular to be known as more than a stereotype. But Perez Wondy is different from Rucka Wondy is different from Azzarello Wondy is different from Simone Wondy is different from Morrison Wondy and so on.

Wonder Woman is as great as Bats and Supes, few people just ever cared to find out why.

I'll certainly take that happy ending for Bruce though, WB doesn't like that elsewhere.

TDKR's happy ending was not only bullshit on at least 12 different levels, it was one of the most tonally inconsistent endings ever put to celluloid. It would be like ending Apocalypse Now with Kurtz and Willard deciding to kiss and make up.

Karkador

Banned
Sure, I'll answer a few questions about your cartoons, let me just get my bifocals and see here...

There are about 100 questions in total.

FUCK.

Alright, quick bio - I have liked the character of Batman as long as I can remember, but I've never been into comics much, or even watched much TAS (it was never on when I watched TV, which was usually the weekends).

But, I've seen all the movies and I'll go through all the character bios in the Arkham games and am left wanting to know more about the world. In another words, a filthy casual. (However, I'm dating the OP, so I've probably learned half the things under hypnosis in my sleep or something)

So one way or another, an opinion has crystalized, and I agreed to answer the whole thing (not at gun point - Batman does not use guns!), so here we go:

Appearance, Personality, etc.
  1. Describe what you think Bruce should look like. Or post a picture. Live action, favorite artist rendition, anything goes. (Doesn't have to be an actor that has already portrayed him.)
    As Bruce Wayne, he can be your garden variety handsome-man, though I can't imagine he doesn't have a crooked nose or something, from all the fights. As Batman, I kinda prefer the times he's closer to a flat shadow than a Christmas tree decorated with pouches and gadgets and details.
  2. What is his body type?
    Not sure on specifics, but I don't really take Batman as some crushing brute. Something that looks more agile; not the monster in Arkham.
  3. What is the primary driving force for Bruce's crusade?
    Well, aside from the cliche dead parents thing, it's criiiime of course. The human constant that will keep comics going for decades. I think his reasons are like when people look for arguments to get into on the internet. It's ultimately a fucking mess when all is said and done, but he feels its his world to clean up.
  4. What's Bruce's personality like in general?
    Can OCD be empowering? --To be continued-->
  5. How clear is the division between Bruce Wayne and Batman in Bruce's psyche? (If you want to talk about who the real persona is, this is your chance.)
    Batman is the mask. The hang-ups and personality quirks are his, though. I find it silly to think otherwise; especially when they try to make his origin story some kind of magical encounter with bats. Might as well say he was raised by bats after running away into the wilderness.
  6. How social or anti-social is Bruce?
    This is a tricky line in the sand. If he's too social and perfect, it feels like he can easily have it all. If he's too much of a weirdo, I get annoyed at the people who want to equate him to the Joker. I'd say he hasn't exactly mastered the rich playboy lifestyle he doesn't necessarily care for.
  7. How talkative is he? What's his speech like?
    The person he talks to the most is himself
  8. Does Bruce enjoy inflicting violence or does he see it as a necessary evil?
    It's a superhero comic book, so there's gonna be violence, like how there's gonna be speeding and not using turn signals in a Fast & Furious movie. Is he a sadist? Nah. Trying to make violence the "psychosis" of Batman is like.....mr. narrator, have you read a comic book before?

9. What are Bruce's flaws re: personality? His strengths?
    I like the overbearing paranoia and being a jerk to his own friends and family (as flaws, mind you). His strengths are ingenuity and patience.
  10. Does Bruce suffer from any mental illnesses such as depression, PTSD, OCD, etc.?
    OCD.
  11. Is Bruce ever suicidal? When?
    I've never thought about it
  12. What does Bruce enjoy? Can he actually enjoy anything?
    Oh, how he'd probably love to subject people to long questionnaires
  13. What does Bruce's character arc look like? Does he have one?
    I don't think he's allowed to have one, but it probably looks something like resolving the abandonment and parenthood issues. Bitter old Bruce looks like we got the Bad Ending.
  14. Is Bruce a tragic figure? Can he have a happy ending?
    He seems perpetually stuck in time; I can't really see a "ending".

15. Is Bruce ultimately a hero or not?
    Are you asking for "a friend"?
Skills
  1. What are Bruce's skills and how proficient is he in each?
    The usual ninja type of stuff
  2. What's Bruce's strongest skill?
    I'd like to think its deception
  3. How smart is Bruce?
    SO smart, omg
  4. Does he build his own technology?
    His tools are too specific for it to just be coincidentally invented and available.
  5. How does he rank against other superheroes in similar skills? (Fighting, intelligence, etc.)
    Don't care
  6. Should Bruce be able to pull off something like in Tower of Babel/Justice League Doom where he can take down super-powered individuals?
    If by "take down", you mean, "catch them with their pants down", sure

The Job
  1. What rules does Batman follow?
    Not sure, but I'd say he probably breaks rules more than follows them. That sounds super edgy, but the whole essence of his character is to do things unconventionally.
  2. How strict is Batman's no-kill rule? Does he have one?
    It could be more of a aversion than a 'rule'. Maybe killing people makes him feel sick and depressed. Weighs on his conscience. Doesn't mean he's completely going to avoid killing people, even in nonsense scenarios. But what do I know?
  3. How does Batman feel about collateral damage?
    "Whoops"
  4. Does Batman use guns? If not in general, are there any exceptions?
    Does the grappling hook thing count as a gun? Its very gun-like.
  5. How far does Batman's violence go?
    I don't think he'd be one to lose control of it.
  6. Given that torture is ineffective, should Batman (or rather his writers) use torture? Or should Batman exist in an alternative universe where torture works for narrative purposes? Would Batman use torture even if it doesn't work?
    I guess it depends on the story they're trying to tell. I think Batman is a great vehicle for illustrating the folly of certain types of law enforcement and counter-terrorism. The guy regularly spies on citizens and can practically see through walls. At the end of the day, he should realize 'enhanced interrogation' is quick and dirty, but comes up wrong.
  7. What type of crime does Batman deal with the most?
    Dude has a pretty uneven repertoire of ordinary bank robberies and dealing with supervillain bullshit
  8. What does Bruce do to fight crime outside of detective work and pursuing criminals?
    I don't know. Those nameless galas he's always at probably don't help.
  9. How involved is Bruce in his company?
    It would be interesting to see more about it. I think he basically cheats with having infinite money from this company that nobody (even the readers/viewers) hold accountable for anything.
  10. What does Bruce do outside of the Batman persona to help Gotham?
    Not enough, he thinks
  11. What is the nature of his company?
    Not sure. There is more of an opportunity than ever to make the company a central part of the story, with how corporations are slowly taking over the world. It's also the most sensible place for a lot of politics and drama in Bruce Wayne's life - but I really don't see much of it.
  12. Are Batman's activities a net positive or negative for Gotham?
    Net positive, of course
The Villains
  1. Who are Bruce's top ten villains?
    All I know is, Calendar Man can take them....any day of the week
  2. Who are his most dangerous villains?
    As in, people who actually do shit? I hate to say it, but probably The Joker, and then a ring of more ordinary but destructive crazies like Zasz.
  3. How often is Bruce fighting a supervillain versus ordinary crime?
    Probably supervillains more often. He is overkill on those poor bank robbery goons.
  4. Does Bruce believe in the rehabilitation of his rogues gallery? Regular criminals? Are there exceptions?
    That'd be nice, but then again, comic books never do anything
  5. Does Arkham have a revolving door?
    As revolving as those comic book magazine racks you find in the supermarket. Have I expressed enough how much nothing comics is filled with?
  6. Do any villains "reform"? From Bruce's actions?
    I would like that
  7. Does the Joker ever die? How?
    I would like that
The Setting
  1. What tone do you prefer?
    It'd be cool if the tone was dark, but with whimsy. If Batman's occupation is to constantly outsmart his opponents, I associate that more with a smirk and a laugh. I find a lot of the grimdark stuff to be a bit flat and dull. Arkham games are especially just a brick wall of boring.
    [*]Does Batman exist in a universe with other superheroes (such as Superman) or is he the only one?
    I like his place in the Justice League, so yes
    [*]If Batman exists within the DC universe, how detached is Gotham from it?
    It can exist, but you kinda have to accept that Gotham is a hellhole if not even the superheroes want to go hang out there. All those haughty superheroes think they're too good to be dealing with bank robberies.
    [*]Do you prefer Batman to be set in a particular time period?
    I don't have a specific one in mind, but it's funny how the tech level of gadgets and things really frame what era we're supposed to be in. Bruce Wayne in the Telltale game is arguably OP with his cell phone compared to past iterations.
    [*]How supernatural is the setting? How technologically advanced?
    Ohhh, one of the things I liked about what I've read of Batwoman is that they start bringing in weird beasts and vampires and stuff. It is silly nonsense, but I think it fits the theme very well. It's just a lot more fun when it's not so realistic.
    [*]Is Gotham the universe's New York City? Where is it located?
    Nah, it's a crummier city than that. I prefer it not being modeled after any existing city. Actually, one of the only cool things about the Schumacher Batman movies is how fantastical and gaudy Gotham looks.

Early Life/Childhood
  1. Does Bruce experience anything related to bats like in the Nolan films?
    No
  2. How early does Alfred start working for the Waynes?
    This is very specific. Uhh, since before Bruce was born?
  3. What's Bruce's personality as a child like?

[*]Does Bruce meet or form relationships with any characters that will end up being important later in his life? (Ex: Tommy who becomes Hush, The Penguin in the Telltale games, etc.)
    God, no.
    [*]Is Bruce already obsessed with heroes? (Zorro, The Gray Ghost, Green Lantern [Alan Scott]?)
    Yeah that sounds alright

[*]What's Bruce's relationship with his parents like? (Thomas, Martha, and Alfred?)
    Nothing unusual
    [*]What's Bruce's schooling like? Before the murders? After?
    His rich parents deliberately put him in public school to build character. He was the asshole "Gallant" to the entire student body's "Goofus". This is where he learned how to deal with the lowlives of society, like the time the kids planned a heist on the school cafeteria. It was basically his first bank robbery.
    [*]Were Thomas and Martha involved in anything shady?
    I like that idea of Batman having to answer for his insane privilege and the 'sins of the father'
    [*]Does Bruce have a relationship with his grandparents?
    I've never even thought of them, to be honest
    [*]What movie does the family watch before the murders?
    I know people want it to be a movie that makes perfect thematic sense; like "Zorro" or whatever. But when I was a kid, I went to a movie with my mom and sister, and afterwards we realized our car had been stolen from the parking lot. We had gone to see the Mario Bros. movie (divine providence). The moral of the story is that your entire world view might change in an evening, but that doesn't mean the movie you saw that night was related. Even then, I can't disassociate Mario Bros. from car burglary.
    [*]Are the murders just a random mugging? An assassination?
    I haven't really thought about it
    [*]Does Jim Gordon meet him that night? Does Leslie Thompkins?
    Are the details of the canon really that specific?

After the Murders
  1. How early does Bruce decide he wants to be a superhero?
    Maybe it was always in his mind, and the murder was a catalyst
  2. What is his training regiment like before he leaves Gotham?
    I haven't thought about it
  3. How early does he tell Alfred?
  4. Does he go to college? If so, where and what does he study?
  5. At what age does he leave Gotham to go on his training world tour?
  6. What does he learn and who are his mentors?
    I know I said he had "ninja skills", but I think the whole "I'm gonna go train as a ninja in some vaguely asian place" shit is lame. That entire angle of Batman and DC comics needs revision.

Alright, that's all for now because this is seriously exhausting.

Pau

A bit slow comparatively, but episode 8 it hit the fast track to my favorite series of all time.

As a Batman fan, the soundtrack is 100% Shirley Walker style all the way to the end.
Never seen a style near that anywhere else.

Caviezel was my Batman pick before Ben and as good as he was i'd still take Caviezel,
I think i'd literally cast ever cast member to a Batman movie if I could, they all fit so well.
Shirley Walker name drop sold me.

Pau knows way more about the residents of Gotham then any sane person should. One of my favorite posters

Nerd card checking is so silly.
Thank... you? :p

If a thread is discussing Batman and Pau ain't in there, just doesn't feel right.

Watch Gotham, we need ya in there!
Look, if I watch Gotham it's just going to be me complaining about everything and then ending up only watching any bits with Bruce, Selina, and Alfred.

I like that there isn't one perfect Batman. He's too good to be one character. We got different movie Batmans, video game Batmans, BTAS, Adam West, plus all the different comic Batmans. I even like the Elseworld Batman stories.
I would be sad if we didn't have all that.
I agree! I think it's one of the best strengths of the character and why he's survived for so long. I just like to know what people's perfect ideal is. Because I certainly have one and feel like I don't see him enough. ;-;

I don't know nearly enough about Superman to do it. Nor Wonder Woman for that matter although I have planned on reading more of her classic runs.

Superman people might just answer S:TAS anyways. :p

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I do wonder how divided GAF may be on Superman and Batman as friends/enemies. Sure, it can be fun to see them butt heads, but they're called the World's Finest for a reason.

CL8866K.png

There are very few people on the planet that Supes himself would trust with Kryptonite in case he ever needed to be stopped. I mean, how can you not love the constant bantering between them in Superman/Batman: Public Enemies?

I feel they should trust each other, but disagree a LOT because they just look at the world differently.

Going to "I'm going to murder you" levels is way too far.

Movie-wise, I'd like if they did a cross-breed between Nolan's version and Burton's version.

A mix of fantasy and realism, lighter and darker, etc.

Ok Ill bite. Ill see how many I can get through haha

1. Describe what you think Bruce should look like. Or post a picture. Live action, favorite artist rendition, anything goes. (Doesn't have to be an actor that has already portrayed him.)
    Mazzuchelli was the perfect Batman artist imo but to go with someone new Ill go with Chris Samnee
  2. What is the primary driving force for Bruce's crusade?
    I think his goal is to stop the same kind of trauma he experienced from happening to anyone else. Which is to say, his main interest is in reducing violent crime.
  3. What's Bruce's personality like in general?
    Driven, intelligent, timely and pointed dry humor
  4. How clear is the division between Bruce Wayne and Batman in Bruce's psyche? (If you want to talk about who the real persona is, this is your chance.)
    I think 'Bruce Wayne' as a public persona only exists as far it has to in order for Batman's mission to go on uninterrupted by his secret identity
  5. How social or anti-social is Bruce?
    Not anti social at all (asocial to be accurate). He has deep and fulfilling although often complicated relationships with his batfamily. He only lacks strong relationships outside of those since he knows he can't compromise his mission.
  6. How talkative is he? What's his speech like?
    He would be silent while patrolling or fighting but always effective at communicating
  7. Does Bruce enjoy inflicting violence or does he see it as a necessary evil?
    No, he doesn't enjoy the violence. My Batman isnt a sadist. Think of him like Jackie Chan in his movies. He fought but he never sought to permanently damage.
  8. What are Bruce's flaws re: personality? His strengths?
    I think he could struggle to manage the Batfamily. He could also become frustrated by a lack of success. Crime rates not going down could be something that bothers him and make him overreach. His biggest asset is his level of determination and ability to prepare for a variety of situations.
  9. Does Bruce suffer from any mental illnesses such as depression, PTSD, OCD, etc.?
    I think he could suffer from bouts of anxiety or PTSD, but he would be able to manage with the help of the batfamily and some self care.
  10. Is Bruce ever suicidal? When?
    An interesting question. A possibility and something he could have struggled with on his journey to become Batman
  11. What does Bruce enjoy? Can he actually enjoy anything?
    I think he would be a man who enjoys many things; he's just someone who has sacrificed them for his idea of the greater good
  12. What does Bruce's character arc look like? Does he have one?
    Considering capes comics are an exercise in Act 2s, his most important change would be from a young man looking for direction in his life to a man with a mission. His growth should come as he grows to understand what it means to be Batman as well as creating and growing the Batfamily.
  13. Is Bruce a tragic figure? Can he have a happy ending?
    Tragic figure? Hmm I think Batman is smart enough to understand he is not able to eradicate crime in his city. His goal is to do what he can to reduce violent crime. As long as he is able to see his successes, he is not a tragic figure.
  14. Is Bruce ultimately a hero or not?
    Yes, he gives up a life of luxury and uses his means to create a better place for the citizens of Gotham. While we think of vigilantism as inherently bad and actually kind of fascist, we can understand that when a socioeconomic system fails to provide a fair and just life for the citizens, then perhaps vigilantism is a moral duty.
Skills
    Deductive skills, stealth, various hand to hand combat. He should be elite as a detective and pretty damn good as a ninja and at hand to hand combat but not elite at either of those
    In combat, his greatest skill should be his ability to create favorable situations to himself but maybe its his ability to GTFO when he knows his chances of winning are diminishing
  3. How smart is Bruce?
    Extremely capable but he should not be able to just invent shit on the fly
    No, he does not get to be a top tier engineer! Haha He gets to use the technologies that Wayne Enterprises develops and re purpose them
  5. How does he rank against other superheroes in similar skills? (Fighting, intelligence, etc.)
    Not an elite fighter in comparison to some, but his combination of skills allow him to win when he shouldn't
  6. Should Bruce be able to pull off something like in Tower of Babel/Justice League Doom where he can take down super-powered individuals?
    Probably not
The Job
    Save people over getting the villain, use non lethal force, help the police but also expose corruption
    More like a guideline, he should not seek to kill unless he finds himself in a very dire situation where it is demanded or when he has exhausted all recourse. My perfect Batman would definitely kill the Joker after his 5th escape out of Arkham haha
    Property damage is acceptable, human collateral is a failure
    Rubber bullet guns would be fine I think
    Well, lets not dismember people!
  6. Given that torture is ineffective, should Batman (or rather his writers) use torture? Or should Batman exist in an alternative universe where torture works for narrative purposes? Would Batman use torture even if it doesn't work?
    Batman should not be a sadist
    Supercrime!
  8. What does Bruce do to fight crime outside of detective work and pursuing criminals?
    He should have some charitable work that helps create opportunities for those who would otherwise turn to crime
    Not very involved, he provides some direction, takes interest in certain deals or projects
  10. What does Bruce do outside of the Batman persona to help Gotham?
    I think this overlaps with a previous question
  11. What is the nature of his company?
    Hand in as many places as possible
  12. Are Batman's activities a net positive or negative for Gotham?
    For him to be a hero, it should be positive
As for the rest of the questions, hmm I think thats enough for today lol

Told you I was a crazy person -

1. Describe what you think Bruce should look like.

The odd thing is I don't think any of the movies have actually casted Batman right. Honestly, Affleck is probably the closest as I kind of imagine Batman to be not a stocky guy, but burly, tough, and with broad shoulders. The recent Telltale Series actually has a pretty solid Bruce Wayne/Batman when it comes to what he looks like, in and out of the costume.

2. What is his body type?

See my previous answer - most importantly, he has a presence, even as Bruce Wayne. In a tuxedo, Batman should still seem like a guy you don't mess with, even as he's playing the dumb playboy.

3. What is the primary driving force for Bruce's crusade?

It started as revenge and it's become justice with some bumps along the way. I firmly think, unlike most, Batman could quit if he was satisfied that Gotham was finally safe. However, Gotham could never get that safe for Batman.

4. What's Bruce's personality like in general?

Bruce's personality depends largely on who he's interacting with – he can be warm with Alfred or the Batfamily, cold and distant with the rest of Justice League. However, I don't think he's ever really chummy with anybody outside of the Batfamily and maybe, Superman.

5. How clear is the division between Bruce Wayne and Batman in Bruce's psyche? (If you want to talk about who the real persona is, this is your chance.)

Bruce Wayne is the mask – whatever was left of him died during his initial training and quest around the world.

6. How social or anti-social is Bruce?

I think he's anti-social who can affect being social when he needs too. In other words, if you're a random politician or ballerina talking to Bruce Wayne, he doesn't seem off. He's gregarious, funny, and all that good stuff. But, it's all an act and he'd be perfectly happy never interacting with anybody outside of the Batfamily, GCPD, or maybe Superman.

7. How talkative is he? What's his speech like?

He's direct, intelligent, with a bit of aloofness, more due to the fact he's already six steps ahead of the current moment and his brain is otherwise occupied with the plan he's setting into motion.

8. Does Bruce enjoy inflicting violence or does he see it as a necessary evil?

Like most things, it's shifted at times. The Batman of Year One? He absolutely enjoyed the violence. But, the older Batman sees it as a means to the end. After all, if he truly wanted to embrace the violence, he's pick up a gun or other weaponry.

9. What are Bruce's flaws re: personality? His strengths?

Being a superhero is his way to avoid falling into despair, depression, and the like as a result of what happened to his family. On the negative, that closes him off from creating better relationships and honestly, he'd likely already have bled out in some alley in Gotham without Alfred or other members of his family. On the positive, it means he is absolutely and totally committed to the Cause of Gotham.

10. Does Bruce suffer from any mental illnesses such as depression, PTSD, OCD, etc.?

I think it's obvious he has PTSD from his family dying. As far as OCD goes, I really don't think so. He's an intricate planner, but only because he has too.

11. Is Bruce ever suicidal? When?

No. Killing himself means that Crime won.

12. What does Bruce enjoy? Can he actually enjoy anything?

I think Bruce can enjoy a lot of things, but there's a melancholy where he can never truly let go like somebody such as Superman, Dick, or even in some ways, his rogues gallery. Because there's always something gnawing in the back of his mind about the Mission.

13. What does Bruce's character arc look like? Does he have one?

His character arc is allowing himself human interaction with the Batfamily and slowly but surely embracing being a father, even if it isn't bioligical.

14. Is Bruce a tragic figure? Can he have a happy ending?

Bruce can have a happy ending that's still tragic because of the cost of reaching that happy ending.

15. Is Bruce ultimately a hero or not?

Bruce is a hero, but only in the DC Universe where there are Gods, Devils, crazy people, and actual crime going on. Dump Bruce in 2016 RL and he's a crazy rich dude who needs help.

Skills

I'll expand later, but I actually like the concept that Bruce is the reaching the limits of “normal” human endurance, fighting skill, and the like when it comes to physical gifts. Basically, he'd be on the cover of Men's Health every month and be able to beat 99% of the modern UFC.

He's a detective. As a result of his quest, he will overturn every stone, look under every plank of a floor, and see the things that are even slightly out of place.

3. How smart is Bruce?

He's not super intelligent, but 'normal' humans planned D-Day, invented the atomic bomb, figured out calculus, etc. Bruce is on that level.

He has general ideas and hands them off to Lucius Fox to actually implement

In a fair fight without powers, he defeats everybody in the JLA except Wonder Woman and maybe Martian Manhunter.

He could pull off the planning, but he'd have to get real lucky to take down the superpowered folks (ie. My one big problem with both Marvel & DC is how easily living Gods get taken out of action).

The Job

Don't kill, protect the innocent, make the city safer than when he left the Manor.

Strict, in the sense he never attempts to kill anybody. I think he has killed by accident and that wears on his concense daily.

Abhors if it's innocent live, doesn't really care if a warehouse blows up. Worst case scenario, if it's a small business, the Wayne Foundation will step in.

The only exception is basically, sci-fi stuff. He'll shoot robots with lasers if he's somehow on an alien planet, but in day to day work, guns are the enemy.

He attempts to avoid permanent damage, especially to low level crooks, but he doesn't really mind if they end up in traction for a while. For bigger enemies, he's more willing to inch up to his bright red line of no killing, only because they continue to attempt to destroy his city.

I think Batman has used torture early in his career, until he realize it didn't work. Once that was obvious, he doesn't use it anymore. He might still threaten dumb criminals to scare them, but there's no need to break bones for no good reason.

Early in his career – petty street crime, but as he got more seasoned, he realized that the low level thugs weren't the issue. Now, aside from the random crime that wets his whistle, he largely focues on attempting to take down the real criminals. Going after heads of the Hydra instead of it's tail.

Supports reforming politicians, donates to various causes, doesn't do criminal background checks (outside of violent felonies) on applicants to his business, 'wastes' some money in his company with make work projects in low income areas of the city.

It depends on the other things he's involved in – if he's in the middle of a long-term war with the Mob, then not that much. But, he is always in control even in absentina.

10. What is the nature of his company?

I think it's a large multinational corporation which has largely divested itself of troublesome sectors after Wayne took over. Biotech, engineering, construction, hi-tech work. But no defense contracts.

11. Are Batman's activities a net positive or negative for Gotham?

They're a net positive, but only because Gotham is such a dangerous place in a dangerous world. Even in RL 2016 Chicago, I'm not sure if Wayne could be a positive force.

The Villains
1. Who are Bruce's top ten villains?

Ra's, Joker, Bane, Riddler, Darkseid, Riddler, Penguin, Two Face. That's the top tier.

2. Who are his most dangerous villains?

Ra's can destroy the world. Joker can destroy Gotham.

3. How often is Bruce fighting a supervillain versus ordinary crime?

Bruce at 25 is still mostly fighting ordinary crime. Bruce at 45 has largely devolved the low level stuff to the rest of the Batfamily and is focused on the big guns.

4. Does Bruce believe in the rehabilitation of his rogues gallery? Regular criminals? Are there exceptions?

Bruce largely believes Joker can't be rehabbed, but he doesn't believe in killing him either. At the end of the day, he still believes that even somebody like Ra's can be convinced to end his quest. Darkseid is a whole other matter.

5. Does Arkham have a revolving door?

Arkham has a revolving door, but largely due to the corruption of Gotham.

6. Do any villains "reform"? From Bruce's actions?

I think all of them, outside of Ra's, The Joker, and obviously Darkseid do at points. The Riddler attempts to be a detective, Two Face gets surgery, The Penguin tries to go legit. They all fail though, for various reasons.

7. Does the Joker ever die? How?

If the Joker dies, Batman doesn't kill him. That's the tragic ending for the Joker – he can't break The Bat.

The Setting
1. What tone do you prefer?

If you're not Grant Morrison, I want a consistent tone. Which means, if you're giving me dark 'n' gritty, don't throw in the Green Lantern suddenly. OTOH, if you're doing space Batman, the Joker isn't involved.

2. Does Batman exist in a universe with other superheroes (such as Superman) or is he the only one?

He's a part of the DC Universe, fully and totally.

3. If Batman exists within the DC universe, how detached is Gotham from it?

Gotham is New York in the 70's or 80's – people visit it, but only very specific parts of it.

4. Do you prefer Batman to be set in a particular time period?

Modern times is fine, but there should be a feeling of retro-ness or lack of advancement in some way. Put it this way, Bruce Wayne should never be on Tindr.

5. How supernatural is the setting? How technologically advanced?

Like I said, it's the DC Universe. That means there is magic, incredibly advanced technology, and the like. But, that doesn't mean it's always evident.

6. Is Gotham the universe's New York City? Where is it located?

Gotham is in the North East, on the water somewhere, relatively close to Bludhaven. I don't think it needs to be more clear than that. But it isn't NYC.

Early Life/Childhood
1. Does Bruce experience anything related to bats like in the Nolan films?

Sure

2. How early does Alfred start working for the Waynes?

He's in the employ of the Waynes before Bruce is born, but after the Waynes are married.

3. What's Bruce's personality as a child like?

Honestly, I think he's a normal kid. Maybe a little bookish and closed off, but nothing out of the ordinary.

4. Does Bruce meet or form relationships with any characters that will end up being important later in his life? (Ex: Tommy who becomes Hush, The Penguin in the Telltale games, etc.)

Nope nope nope. At best, the Cobblepots is a name vaguely familiar to him and Harvey Dent is a hotshot ADA right out of law school as he becomes Batman.

5. Is Bruce already obsessed with heroes? (Zorro, The Gray Ghost, Green Lantern [Alan Scott]?)

Yup.

6. What's Bruce's relationship with his parents like? (Thomas, Martha, and Alfred?)

Solid, but it's not perfect. Thomas Wayne is busy with being a doctor, Martha is a little flighty, and Alfred is stand off ish because he believes that's his job to be.

7. What's Bruce's schooling like? Before the murders? After?

He's at a local well respected private school before the murders. Stays there until he leaves for college, then travels the world.

8. Were Thomas and Martha involved in anything shady?

Nope. Never. De Nada.

9. Does Bruce have a relationship with his grandparents?

No, they're already gone. Which is why Alfred becomes his guardian.

10. What movie does the family watch before the murders?

It's Zorro or a Zorro like film. For instance, I can kind of see them going to see The Phantom in the mid-90's if we're talking about a Bruce that debuts in 2017.

11. Are the murders just a random mugging? An assassination?

It's a random guy just looking for some cash. Nothing more, nothing less.

12. Does Jim Gordon meet him that night? Does Leslie Thompkins?

Gordon is still in Chicago, I could take or leave Leslie Thompkins.

After the Murders
1. How early does Bruce decide he wants to be a superhero?

He immediately wants revenge, but he doesn't realize what has to happen until his mid-teens.

2. What is his training regiment like before he leaves Gotham?

Intense physical training, studying like a mad man. Basically becoming the recluse that nobody at his high school knows.

3. How early does he tell Alfred?

I don't think Alfred finds out specifically until he shows back up at the Manor one night beaten and bruised.

4. Does he go to college? If so, where and what does he study?

He goes to college, but only to get a degree that'll allow him to legitimately control Wayne Inc. At actual college, he largely focuses on training, doing as little as work as possible and laying the seeds for his playboy persona.

5. At what age does he leave Gotham to go on his training world tour?

The moment he graduates college, he's gone for the next 3-4 years in the mist.

6. What does he learn and who are his mentors?

Ducard, Ra's, the rest of the League of Shadows, 'Wildcat' Ted Grant

Coming back to Gotham and the First Years
1. At what age does Bruce return to Gotham? Is there some sort of catalyst for his return?

Between 24 and 27. I'm going to say something connected to the League of Shadows + something shady with Wayne Corp

2. How does Bruce pick a bat to be his symbol?

Bat crashes through the window, memories of his past and there ya' go.

3. Does Bruce attempt superheroics before becoming Batman?

He does and it doesn't go well.

4. Does Bruce meet Selina in these attempts?

Not in any way that either remembers.

5. How long is Bruce in town before he becomes Batman?

Two to three months

6. Does he meet Andrea Beaumont? Julie Madison? Vikki Vale?

Sure? Why not?

7. Who names Batman and his stuff? (Batcave, Batmobile, etc.) Are the later named in-universe?

I think he internally calls himself The Bat, but the media names him The Batman. From there, I think it's largely named out of convenience. With a bit of humor from Alfred, especially for the more inane stuff.

8. Which of Bruce's villains appear during the the first few years of his career?

Largely low level criminals, then the Mob, then the escalation begins. Penguin takes over the Mob, the Riddler stats sending in riddles, and a Joker card is found outside the city reservoir.

9. What mistakes does he make?

A ton of them. I don't like him being involved in the Joker being created, but I do like that his actions cause a reaction from the criminal element.

10. What is his relationship with the GCPD?

Your average cop hates/fears him almost as much as the criminals. Gordon has gone from putting up with him because of a need to a genuine friendship.

11. How does he meet other non-Gotham superheroes?

Some sort of event happens in Gotham that's too large for even Batman and the rest of The League gets involved.

12. Is Batman a founding member of the Justice League?

This is where I stand apart from a lot of folks – nope. Batman should be recruited into the League, not doing the recruiting.

13. What is the nature of the public's knowledge of Batman?

Your average person believes there are multiple Batman and that the Batman they see fighting aliens is different front the one tying up crooks in Crime Alley. But, there's too much evidence by this point to deny that someone is dressing up in tights and causing chaos.

The following questions deal with Bruce's children: the Robins, Batgirls, etc. If you prefer your Batman sans a family, skip to the next section.

The Batman Family
1. Does Batman ever get his Batfamily? How?

Largely the same way as the comics, except no one is Robin after Tim Drake, Barbara is only Batgirl for a shockingly short time, and Damian Wayne...well, Damian Wayne isn't a thing.

2. Who is counted in the Batfamliy? In the Wayne family? (Who is legally adopted?)

Dick, Jason, and Tim are all in the will. Even after Jason died, he's still there.

3. Does Dick become Robin? Nightwing? Red Robin? Batman? Some Frank Miller shit? At what ages?

Dick becomes Robin at 15-ish, becomes Nightwing in college, and steps in as Batman when Bruce is thought to be dead.

4. What is the nature of Bruce's relationship with Dick?

Father and son. A terrible father in some sense, a great father in other senses. For most of the canon Teen Titans run, they're estranged.

5. Does Barbara Gordon become Batgirl? Oracle? Is The Killing Joke canon? Ages for each?

Barbara becomes Batgirl, but that brings the attention of the Joker, and the Killing Joke happens. She's Batgirl for a max of three to six months. Let's say early 20's.

6. What is the nature of Bruce's relationship with Babs?

There really isn't one until she becomes Oracle. From there, she's his last line of defense when it comes to moral clarity. Especially when it involves the rest of the Family.

7. Do Bruce and Dick still work together as adults?

Yes, after their enstrangement ends due to X happening. What is X, I'm not sure.

8. Does Jason become Robin? Red Hood? Red Robin? At what ages?

Jason Todd is dead and stays dead. The Red Hood happens, but it's some f'd up clone shit involving Ra's.

9. Is Jason ever redeemed, brought back into the family, and his relationship with Bruce mended?

Like I said, he's dead.

10. Does Tim become Robin? Red Robin? Batman?

He's Robin under the assumption he'll eventually become something else as he gets older.

11. Does Cassandra Cain become Batgirl? Black Bat? Batwoman/Batman?
12. Does Stephanie Brown become Spoiler? Batgirl? Robin? Nightwing?
13. Does Helena Bertinelli become Huntress? Batwoman?
14. Do Kathy Kane and Betty Kane become Batwoman and Batgirl?

Aside from as side characters, I don't think any of these four are part of the core Batfamily. They might or might not exist, but I largely don't care.

15. Is Damian born? Who raises him? Does he become Robin? Batman?

Damian is another trick by Ra's, figures out he's a trick, and sacrifices himself for the man who was never really his father.

16. Is Helena born? Who raises her? Does she become Robin? Huntress? Batwoman/Batman?

No to both this and the other question. The Wayne family line biologically dies with Bruce.

17. Does Carrie Kelly become Robin? Catgirl? :/

In an alternative universe, sure. But, not in the main DCU.

18. I guess I should have a question about Roy Harper?
19. Does the "We are Robin" stuff exist?
20. Is Kate Kane Bruce's cousin? Does she become Batwoman?

Nope. Nope. Nope.

21. What's up with Terry?

Another alternative universe.

22. Do any of the above die? Do they come back?

When people die, they die. Jason Todd is dead. There can be fake deaths, but those happen within an arc or two, not for decades.

23. Is Selina part of the family or a rogue?

Selina is always right on the edge, not part of the Family, but not really an enemy anymore.

24. Who does Bruce consider to be the heir to the Batman title? (Can be multiple.)

There is no heir, but if he falls, he knows Dick will take the mantle and he accepts that.

Relationships and Sexuality Shipping
1. Who is (are) Bruce's romantic soulmate(s)? (Gotham is a valid answer, I guess.)

He has no soulmate. Not because he doesn't want one, but there is no one who can compete with Gotham and the rest of the family.

2. Is Bruce only into women?

Yeah, I think so. There's been no evidence to the contrary. There could be an AU with a gay Batman. I just don't think Bruce is that in this universe.

3. Does Bruce actually sleep with the women he "wines and dines" for his playboy persona?

Yes, but only because otherwise, stories will get around about him and he needs to keep up the playboy persona.

4. Who has Bruce fallen in love with, if anyone? Does he pursue any sort of sexual and/or romantic relationship with them?

I think he's fallen in love as much as he can, but no woman has never seriously made him question continuing to be Batman. As for sex and romantic relationships, sure.

5. Does Bruce want a permanent relationship? Is he capable of it? If yes, with whom?

He wants one like any other human, but isn't capable of it until his quest is finished.

6. Does Bruce eventually marry or get into a permanent relationship? With whom?

No. Bruce won't die alone, but he won't die with a wife or a biological family. That's the cost for his quest.

7. Who is Bruce's best friend?

Outside of the family, probably Superman. Because he's the only being he can not completely be on edge with at all times outside of the family. He firmly respects Gordon and would likely cry if he died, but they don't talk on rooftops about life.

8. Who does Bruce consider his friends (as opposed to family)?

Dick, Tim, Alfred, and Jason are family. The closest things to friends he has is other members of the Justice League. Wonder Woman is a friend (not a romantic partner). Martian Manhunter is a friend. OTOH, Green Arrow and Hal Jordan are both basically, co workers.

Retirement and Death
1. Does Bruce ever die (comic book fashion) and come back or temporarily retire the Batman identity? How?

He never dies dies. Lots of weird comic book stuff happens, but he's never legally dead.

2. How does Bruce permanently die and at what age?

He dies because he's go out for one too many nights and is finally too slow or too old for an enemy to take him out . He dies at Wayne Manor, surrounded by his family and friends.

3. Does the Batfamily stick with him throughout his life?

Yes. Absolutely.

4. How does Bruce's story end?

Unfinished, but with great accomplishments.

5. Who replaces him?

No one ever truly replaces him, but Dick and eventually Tim do their best.

Story Arcs and Life Events

These things have to happen – Parents die, trains with the League, Year One, Joker shows up, Robin becomes Nightwing and Jason Todd enters his life, Bane breaks his back, Joker crowbars Jason Todd, Nightwing & Batman reconcile, disaster destroys Gotham (Yes, I'm a No Mans Land fanboy), and Tim Drake is smart enough to figure out he's Batman. Oh, and he fakes out Darkseid for 20 years in an alternative universe.

RedSwirl

I don't know nearly enough about Batman comics and mythos but I just have one question: Has anyone every tried to do Batman stories set during the era of his original creation, i.e., the 30's, but NOT written like a Golden Age comic?

Platy

You know I should really make a small comic about my idea of a gritty detective batman against a silver age clown joker.....

Which Robin should I use ?

I don't know nearly enough about Batman comics and mythos but I just have one question: Has anyone every tried to do Batman stories set during the era of his original creation, i.e., the 30's, but NOT written like a Golden Age comic?

Try watching The Batman. It has that '30s aesthetic (albeit somewhat more futuristic), but a lot of the characters and stories skew towards their '60s-'80s versions. Eg. Joker is a really dark take on the goofy prankster of the '60s, Penguin is a slobby asshole like in Batman Returns, etc.

Like others, I think the animated series Batman is pretty close to perfect.

I will say that Kevin Conroy does sometimes ham it up a bit. I think it would be really interesting to have Michael Keaton voice an animated Batman. His Birdman voice would an amazing Batman voice.

As far as the look of Gotham and Batman I'd say a combination of the animated series and the Year One comic would be pretty amazing. Add a little 1940's art deco style to Mazzuchucchelli's art.

I'd limit the whole bat family thing as well, the idea of having kids help you fight crime doesn't make a lot of sense and Bruce Wayne endangering children doesn't suit his character.

I vaguely recall early episodes of BTAS being ambiguous about when it was set, with things like cars and fashion having a distinctly 30s feel to it.

While not 30s, Justice League: The New Frontier is set in the 50s.

I vaguely recall early episodes of BTAS being ambiguous about when it was set, with things like cars and fashion having a distinctly 30s feel to it.

While not 30s, Justice League: The New Frontier is set in the 50s.

I'm not an expert on the comics, but I think that most of TAS is pretty in-line with the golden age.

BTAS Batman. In general, my preferred Batman is one who actually does a lot of detective work. I'd really like to see a live-action film depict this aspect of the character since they usually go for the more straight action aspect of the character, with varying degrees of success, of course.

Shirley Walker name drop sold me.

Look, if I watch Gotham it's just going to be me complaining about everything and then ending up only watching any bits with Bruce, Selina, and Alfred.
Yeah its definitely scored in her style of super defined character themes that are then incorporated into whatever is going on at the moment.
Even the dog has a theme tune.
A multiple themes are straight out of BTAS soundtrack.

Gotham ain't going to give us the family we love(Dick's parents show up though as young adults) but it is still great otherwise.
Its great as an Elseworlds.

Selina is basically a full partner
Alfred is the best interpretation imo
Penguin, Riddler, Zsasz, Mad Hatter, Strange and "Joker" were all amazing
Mob storyline was really good, like that Carmine Falcone is one of my favorite Batman villains at the moment.

In 3 seasons only problem I have had is
Awful Harvey Dent and Montoya who were written out
finally the current Poison Ivy story is very awkward.

At first the changes will bug you since it doesn't start so great,however once it finds its footing you come to enjoy stuff just because it fits this great tv series so well.
Also Gotham's city design is probably the best we will ever get, it isn't over the top like Burton's but really gives that vibe.
How the handle the date is amazing. 70's cars, Crt TVs(some black and white) old computers, rare cellphones are flip phones.

I really don't have a problem with Robin starting relatively young (13 at youngest) . Tbh I think one of the best things about Batman is the Batfam and the pruning of the Family really hurt in New 52 and we're sorta getting back to that (which is why I love Detective Comics' run right now.)

I despise when they make Bruce an eternal loner or completely dower. I think the most recent comics really get Bruce right because its off-putting at worse and really caring about him and his own. Even down to his enemies and his mission. Its the same Bruce you see in Young Justice who can be a hard ass but really cares about the team as a whole. I don't really want to see any of that go away because that kills off most of Bruce's arc.

Animated series Batman is my favourite, along with the Arkham games.

As for the movie version of Batman, if you remove all the killing, Affleck's Batman would be pretty much perfect.

Really hope Justice League and The Batman movie restore his no kill code or at least tone it down and also give us more Arkham style fight scenes, the warehouse scene in BvS is just awesome and the best bit of the movie.

1. What is his body type?
    Athletic as fuck, as one would need to be.
  2. What is the primary driving force for Bruce's crusade?
    Fear. The fear of being alone in a world he can't control. Although, this is pushed so far back that not even he understands this.
  3. What's Bruce's personality like in general?
    As Bruce, he is far less the carefree playboy and more an intelligent businessman. As Batman, he is strict and unforgiving.
  4. How clear is the division between Bruce Wayne and Batman in Bruce's psyche? (If you want to talk about who the real persona is, this is your chance.)
    They get equal playtime, but Bruce often is vexed by the very different stakes involved in his dual lives.
  5. How social or anti-social is Bruce?
    He very rarely attends public events. The most the public sees of him is in an interview. He did a hilarious Daily Show interview with Jon Stewart once. This is mainly due to his need to separate his two lives.
  6. How talkative is he? What's his speech like?
    He has Asperger's, so his speech pattern is very eclectic. He is VERY verbal in the Batcave, and most of the Batfamily has learned his "language".
  7. Does Bruce enjoy inflicting violence or does he see it as a necessary evil?
    He hates violence.
  8. What are Bruce's flaws re: personality? His strengths?
    He sometimes doesn't know where his personalities meet or cross. He is very intelligent, and his business rivals know this.
  9. Does Bruce suffer from any mental illnesses such as depression, PTSD, OCD, etc.?
    OCD and PTSD. He chose to deal by dawning a bat suit, after all.
  10. What does Bruce enjoy? Can he actually enjoy anything?
    He loves dogs. He loves Ace the Batdog. Guy fucking loves dogs. He also is very protective and supportive of his family. He enjoys giving to charity and he enjoys Halloween and Christmas.
  11. What does Bruce's character arc look like? Does he have one?
    He's a lost soul looking for a way back home. Gotham PD views him as a pest but never a menace. Jim Gordon sees his value but also never gets too close to the vigilante in the bat suit. His overall arc would reflect this.

[*]Is Bruce a tragic figure? Can he have a happy ending?
    Does he WANT a happy ending?
  12. Is Bruce ultimately a hero or not?
    Yes.
  13. What are Bruce's skills and how proficient is he in each?
    He spends all day training in every aspect of combat and intellect. Alfred is his teacher and the rest of the Batfamily help train with him.
  14. How smart is Bruce?
    Very.
  15. Does he build his own technology?
    No, but he helps design the features.
  16. How does he rank against other superheroes in similar skills? (Fighting, intelligence, etc.)
    He knows that Superman is stronger than him but that he's smarter than Superman.
  17. Should Bruce be able to pull off something like in Tower of Babel/Justice League Doom where he can take down super-powered individuals?
    When pushed, yes. In regular, everyday life? He doesn't think about it that much.
  18. What rules does Batman follow?
    No killing, no escalation, no fighting near cities or bystanders.
  19. What type of crime does Batman deal with the most?

Batman honestly started out as just an evolved form of a Real. He would deal with theft and such. He eventually was pushed into becoming a legit superhero by the Joker.
  20. What does Bruce do to fight crime outside of detective work and pursuing criminals?
    He is a major contributor to Gotham PD's funding.
  21. How involved is Bruce in his company?
    Not as much as he would like, but his board respects him enough to not go against him.
  22. What is the nature of his company?
    It started out as BioTech but now has a healthy military component. They have contracts with the army.
  23. Are Batman's activities a net positive or negative for Gotham?
    Gotham seems to tolerate him on the good days and despise him on the bad. Ultimately, he's a good thing.
  24. Who are Bruce's top ten villains?
    1. Ra's Al Gul
    2. The Joker
    3. Two-Face
    4. Poison Ivy
    5. Killer Croc
    6. Bane
    7. Mr. Freeze
    8. Red Hood
    9. Catwoman
    10. Calendar Man

25. How often is Bruce fighting a supervillain versus ordinary crime?
    On a good month, only one per every dozen villains. On a bad month, A LOT.
  26. Does Bruce believe in the rehabilitation of his rogues gallery? Regular criminals? Are there exceptions?
    The rogues? No.
  27. Does the Joker ever die? How?
    "The Joker" has died at least five times, only for the mantle to be taken up by a newbie.
  28. Does Batman exist in a universe with other superheroes (such as Superman) or is he the only one?
    The JL exists.
  29. Is Gotham the universe's New York City? Where is it located?
    It is New York, yes.
  30. Does Bruce experience anything related to bats like in the Nolan films?
    Bats are his super favorite animal ever. Even more than sharks.
  31. Does Bruce meet or form relationships with any characters that will end up being important later in his life? (Ex: Tommy who becomes Hush, The Penguin in the Telltale games, etc.)
    Of course. He created the Joker. Or, rather, in this universe, the Joker pushed him to fully become Batman.
  32. Is Bruce already obsessed with heroes? (Zorro, The Gray Ghost, Green Lantern [Alan Scott]?)
    They were his templates for Batman.
  33. What's Bruce's relationship with his parents like? (Thomas, Martha, and Alfred?)
    He was a little shit.
  34. Were Thomas and Martha involved in anything shady?
    Of course.
  35. Does Bruce have a relationship with his grandparents?
    Joker fucking killed them, yo.
  36. What movie does the family watch before the murders?
    Top Hat.
  37. Are the murders just a random mugging? An assassination?
    Falcone's men. Joker before he was the Joker.
  38. Does Jim Gordon meet him that night? Does Leslie Thompkins?
    Gordon does. Bruce has a special relationship with Gordon as does Batman.
  39. How early does Bruce decide he wants to be a superhero?
    Right away.
  40. How early does he tell Alfred?
    The night of his first romp.
  41. At what age does he leave Gotham to go on his training world tour?
  42. What does he learn and who are his mentors?
    Superman keeps him around but does not train him until he is older. Wonder Woman also trains him. She's more lenient.
  43. At what age does Bruce return to Gotham? Is there some sort of catalyst for his return?
    25. His company is on the verge of being sold.
  44. How does Bruce pick a bat to be his symbol?
    Fuckin' loves bats.
  45. How long is Bruce in town before he becomes Batman?
    Two years, but in that time, he's studying every aspect of the city.
  46. Who names Batman and his stuff? (Batcave, Batmobile, etc.) Are the later named in-universe?
    It's used as a stand-in until Robin officially names it.
  47. Which of Bruce's villains appear during the the first few years of his career?
    The Joker becomes The Joker because he thinks Batman is ridiculous and he wants to show him how it is really done.
  48. What is his relationship with the GCPD?
    Most think he's nuts.
  49. Is Batman a founding member of the Justice League?
    It's his idea, but Superman brought in the team.
  50. Does Batman ever get his Batfamily? How?
    Robin(s), Ace the Batdog, Alfred, all the JL, Batwoman, Batgirl. Yes, he actually considers Superman a brother and Wonder Woman a sister.
  51. Who is counted in the Batfamliy? In the Wayne family? (Who is legally adopted?)
    Dick is.
  52. Does Dick become Robin? Nightwing? Red Robin? Batman?
    Some Frank Miller shit?
    At what ages?

Robin at 15, Nightwing at 20.
  53. What is the nature of Bruce's relationship with Dick?
    Dick got fed up with the no-kill policy and eventually becomes Nightwing in order to help the GCPD try to take Batman down.
  54. Does Barbara Gordon become Batgirl? Oracle? Is The Killing Joke canon? Ages for each?
    Batgirl. And when Joker shows up at her door, he still shoots her, but she manages to kick his fucking ass before the cops show up.
  55. Does Jason become Robin? Red Hood? Red Robin? At what ages?
    Robin at 12, Red Hood at 23.
  56. Is Jason ever redeemed, brought back into the family, and his relationship with Bruce mended?
    Not after he kills The Penguin and Two-Face.
  57. Does Tim become Robin? Red Robin? Batman?
    Joker
    Tim is a Robin.
  58. Does Stephanie Brown become Spoiler? Batgirl? Robin? Nightwing?
    Robin, after her own stunt as Spoiler.
  59. Is Damian born? Who raises him? Does he become Robin? Batman?
    He's the fifth Joker after killing the fourth Joker.
  60. Does Carrie Kelly become Robin? Catgirl? :/
    She becomes Harley Quinn, Joker's Anti-Robin.
  61. What's up with Terry?
    A clone of Bruce Wayne made by Lucius Fox.
  62. Is Selina part of the family or a rogue?
    She's Bruce's girlfriend.
  63. Who does Bruce consider to be the heir to the Batman title? (Can be multiple.)
    Barbara Gordon.
  64. Does Bruce actually sleep with the women he "wines and dines" for his playboy persona?
    Yes. He can't form non-familial relationships.
  65. Who has Bruce fallen in love with, if anyone? Does he pursue any sort of sexual and/or romantic relationship with them?
    Selina Kyle.
  66. Does Bruce want a permanent relationship? Is he capable of it? If yes, with whom?
    He can only connect with Kyle due to her being Catwoman.
  67. Who is Bruce's best friend?
    Superman.
  68. Who does Bruce consider his friends (as opposed to family)?
  69. Does Bruce ever die (comic book fashion) and come back or temporarily retire the Batman identity? How?
    He retires only to be killed by The Penguin's thugs.
  70. How does Bruce permanently die and at what age?
  71. Does the Batfamily stick with him throughout his life?
    Yes.

1. Robin: "Motherfucker just strung a guy up to a gaslamp last night.... but motherfucker loves dogs."

I think Batman always ends up reflecting the current underbelly of American discontent in whatever iteration he's seen in.

But for me, the Keaton Batman was perfect. Someone who has faked his way into the upper class (the American Dream), but is a complete sociopath with unresolved issues and intense anger just under the surface.

Batman to me represents the real America as it exists. Superman represents the America that Americans wish they were.

But I'm not a Batman expert at all, so I apologize that I couldn't really answer your questions in detail.

TDKR's happy ending was not only bullshit on at least 12 different levels, it was one of the most tonally inconsistent endings ever put to celluloid. It would be like ending Apocalypse Now with Kurtz and Willard deciding to kiss and make up.

I disagree, especially with the bolded. Bruce letting go of the mantle was set in motion from the first film onwards, with what Rachel Dawes says to him at the end. Then we see TDK really play into that notion with its narrative of propping up Harvey Dent to be Gotham's hero, and finally have our pay-off with TDKR showing us that instructions were left with Blake for taking on "the cause".

Personally speaking, I feel that TDKR was a very nice surprise of a Batman story since Bruce actually chose to permanently give up being the Batman because he wants to live his own life, instead of how I imagine it's most often portrayed (through his death, or old age preventing him from continuing).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom