• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your phone carrier can now block robocalls by default

pimentel1

Banned

YEEEEESSSSSS!!!!!!!!

The Federal Communications Commission voted on Thursday to give wireless carriers like Verizon the green light to block unwanted robocalls automatically for all customers.

The vote clears the way for carriers to switch on robocall-blocking technologies for phone lines by default. The technologyworks by using algorithms and network scanning to identify unwanted calls, similar to how email providers scan for spam messages.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Good! I started getting 10 random calls a day this week from Texas. My phone is in DND mode now because they have gotten so annoying.

It’s crazy these assholes can spam me with calls all day and I can’t stop them.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Sure they can, but will they?

Sounds like something they'll try and get people to pay extra for.

TacosNSalsa

I just use the Should I Answer app which blocks all calls that are from numbers not in my contacts..its ridiculous how many it blocks a day..I something like that for the house phone too

pimentel1

Banned
Verizon led the fight and says they can flip a switch to turn it on. You can decide to opt out and receive the calls but they’re planning to just flip it on at no cost. Their blocking app is already free. If it’s not free by other companies, this will be yet another feature that will stand Verizon out from the crowd.

cryptoadam

Banned
WTF is this BS if my Robo GF is trying to call me she will be blocked?

Does no one think of Robo rights?

Well there goes my Robo hand job for the weekend....

pimentel1

Banned
Well, whatever Verizon is doing ain’t working. Even with the call filter installed. Even with the FCC passage. Now, the wife gets calls from her own number. Considering changing carriers.

My phone gets multiple a day. And I get tons of texts for a guy named Randy and people wanting to buy his property.

20cent

Banned
Any recommendations? one for iOS and one for Android?

Your phone carrier (if you are US based, and not "pre-paid" customer) should have an "official" call blocking app on the store. Maybe same in Europe.
Many, many others exist with very regularly updated database, but I believe some are focused on certain countries only.

The one I use is for Hong Kong only so...

Top Bottom