• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your Top 3 pet peeves that sinks your enjoyment in games

What's the top 3 things you hate in games?

• Bad loading times (although its good if you got next gen console or PC SSD)

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Graphical issues (motion blur, chromatic abberation, sketchy FR, faux-K etc...)

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Unskippable cut scenes (and other canned sequences)

Votes: 31 27.9%
  • Shitty MP servers

Votes: 13 11.7%
  • Unpolished games getting released needing patch, patch, patch!

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Games getting bigger in file size hogging storage space (ie. posterboy COD)

Votes: 16 14.4%
  • Too many remasters or remakes lately

Votes: 13 11.7%
  • Big companies playing too safe. Not enough big new IPs and variety like old gens

Votes: 41 36.9%
  • Price trending up to $70 US/80 Euro/$90 CDN

Votes: 29 26.1%
  • Microtrans galore

Votes: 51 45.9%
  • Too many timed exclusives, exclusive betas and other partnership deals

Votes: 14 12.6%
  • Cross platform MP gaming is totally hit and miss among developers

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 25 22.5%

• Total voters
The only (buy to play) game where I found microtransactions to be a problem is the Sims 4. Can’t say they even entered my mind as a problem in any other game but ymmv

Bloated games and too much loot are my complaints.

Last edited:
Honorable mention, if I may, is when the game takes everything that you’ve earned when you fight the final boss and puts you in some kind of mecha suit or something. I spent the entire game unlocking all of this cool stuff let me use it!

Last edited:

Jaybe

Things that get in the way of playing the game

- Canned slow paced walk and talk sequences
- Open world and hub world
- No pause in single player game

Industry, please give me linear, game play focused games!

Soodanim

Went for unskippables, microtransactions, and timed exclusives. It's telling that two of the three are business decisions and only one is a game design issue.

I'm not currently affected by patches as I'm only playing old games, but that doesn't necessarily bother me too much. Do consoles automatically patch these days? My only modern reference point is Steam.

Kind of 2 related points
1. How every game has to be a massive open world game
2. How every open world game seems to prioritize "Big World" over interesting content, having a few thousand more generic hills or trees isn't adding anything except how long it takes to walk somewhere. Games imo would benefit from being way smaller and trying to focus on content and density rather than a large open field with nothing in it just for the sake of a bigger game

Of your points, I'd definitely say all the timed exclusivity deals, paying money with the sole intent to prevent other people from playing the game is dumb

Games that focus far too much on Storytelling and don't really care about gameplay. These are interactive stories, not really games.

Games that offer DLC and microtransactiins and deluxe editions that contain rubbish extras. Just wish I could get a game that is just good to go with 100% content unlockable and available.

Games that market themselves with fake footage or CGI movies and not gameplay.

SSfox

Loading times and bad online, specially for fighting games ( mostly the games i play online outside of monster hunter and red dead)

Now with GG strive, game seems to not have those issues, and i hope new fighting games that will release from now on will have minimim load times and solid netcode.

Of course bugs are annoying too, but usually you won't encounter some hardcore bugs as long as you don't buy day one Ubisoft or EA game (which i don't, or never for EA)

Top Bottom