• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your Top Five RPG

Kokoloko85

Cant disagree with alot of these lists lol.

1. Shining Force 3
2. Dark Souls or Bloodborne
3. Final Fantasy 8 or 9 but I love 7,6 or 4 lol you choose cause I cant decide.
4. Knights of the Old republic
5. Kingdom Hearts

There all very close and I cant decide lol. 5 and 4 can be replaced with any of these lol

6. Suikoden 2
7. Grandia 1
8. Earthbound
9. Panzer Dragoon Saga - or Chrono Trigger
10. Disgaea or Golden Sun

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

People are saying action games that have RPG elements. What the fuck?

Not in a particular order:

Skies of Arcadia
So unfair that people didn't play much of this game. They're fucking pirates with ships in the sky! A very colorful, funny and awesome game

Damn I forgot about that gem

And also Forgot about Legend of Heroes titles... Trails in the Sky can hang with any JRPG

Last edited:
1. Final Fantasy VI [SNES]
– First real RPG I ever played. Kefka was such a great villain, he just didn't give a shit and decided fuck it lets break the world! Now I'm king a dead garbage heap. The protagonists were a cast of badasses flying a kick-ass pair of airships. The industrial/magic revolution setting was incredible and the world was so well designed I still remember every secret interaction and every map layout. The music was god-tier at the time and still holds up well.

2. Chrono Trigger [SNES]
– Time travel. Akira Toriyama art. Awesome characters. Awesome concept. One of the best time travel stories I've experienced. Just like Final Fantasy VI I remember everything about this game. The music was also absolutely timeless.

3. Xenoblade Chronicles [Wii/3DS/Switch]
– I LOVE mecha, and the idea that through the entire game you're battling mecha on giant mecha sold me instantly. The scope and scale of the game is enormous. The ties to other Monolith Soft games had me reading wikis and digging into discussion forums. The music was some of the best in any game and the story was full of great twists and turns throughout. I can hardly wait to dive back into this rabbit hole of a game again.

4. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 [Switch]
– It's not as good story-wise as the first, but it still pulled the rug out from under your feet a few times. Malos is one of my favorite villains, he's somehow likeable and actually has a sense purpose behind him. I loved the main cast including the primary blades. I loved the concept of a world based on giant creatures in a sea of clouds. The last half of the game had me diving right back into wikis and forums trying to piece together how all of the Monolith Soft interact. The music wasn't as good as XC1, but is still top-shelf. I'm still on my 2nd playthrough and have well over 350 hours in the game.

5. Lost Odyssey [Xbox360]
– I'm sure it's not on most people's radars. but this game sat really well with me. I enjoyed every moment of it. Characters, visuals. The gameplay was well thought-out. The music was all really simple, almost ambient but still very memorable.

lachesis

I have only one... Ys2 on MSX2.

There are other great games, and better/more fun ones, even better versions of the Ys2, but for my own nostalgia and all - Ys2 on MSX2 is only game stands the greatest for me on that spot.

Bartski

Gold Member
I can't rank my games like this. I love them all for different reasons.
Skipping all the FROM stuff as that is to me a category of its own.

here is 5 I will always remember:

Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - obviously. Amazing achievement.
Mass Effect 2 - favorite part of the series, a popular choice I see.
Baldurs Gate - loved the companion system and the tactical real-time-pause combat.
It was also the first game of this scale released fully translated to my native language which was also unheard of at the time.
Fallout 2 - almost failed 2nd year of high school because of it releasing in a very unfortunate moment
Ultima 8 Pagan - childhood memories. It was way too complicated and easy to fail and I remember beating it only thanks to a walkthrough in a game mag!

Bwesh

Man this is hard. I based this on how much I replay.

Suikoden 2 - I never miss a yearly replay of this.
Final Fantasy VI - A masterpiece
Skyrim - I can't seem to hate it, the mods just add too much fun.
Phantom Brave - A lot easier than Disgaea but better combat and characters imho.
Radiata Stories - Square Enix's take on a Suikoden style RPG. Slow starting pace but held together by amazing characters.

Guilty_AI

Id recommend Tales of Eternia and Destiny 2. I played both on PSP but might be bette versions out there
Not the greatest fan of JRPGs honestly. Its more that "there are JRPGs that I like", and it just so happened that Tales of Berseria had some stuff to it that interested me (the whole villains and pirates setting more specifically).

cireza

Banned
Interesting list. You have some all-time classics and FFXV thrown in.
Nowadays, I have a hard time being interested by J-RPGs that stick too closely to the same formula that I have played for hundreds of hours in my life.
Final Fantasy XV felt really different with lots of freedom, so it never felt repetitive to me. And I enjoyed the story quite a lot.

Last edited:
In no particular order:

Final Fantasy VII
Chrono Trigger
Shadow Hearts: Covenant (in terms of story I give an edge to the first game, but the gameplay improvements are just too big)
Star Ocean: The Second Story
The Elder Scrolls: Daggerfall or Demon's Souls if it is considered an RPG.

Not adding a MMORPG, because they fluctuate and they are different experiences. It really is a genre of itself.

• Chrono Trigger/Cross
  • Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
  • Breath of Fire IV
  • Final Fantasy VII
  • The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Notable Mentions:
Kingdoms of Amalur
Fallout 3
Final Fantasy VI/X/XIV/Tactics
Persona 3/4/5

The more I think, the more I want to include

BlackTron

No no. You're the one who made the dumb statement: you get to defend it.

Please define "rpg" in a way that includes Pokemon, but not Zelda or Dark Souls.

This is really easy. Just about the most bare-bones take on "RPG" is a game where you roam around towns and dungeons, fighting random encounters using a turn-based battle system. It's not even a stretch to call Pokemon an RPG, it's the very incarnate of one. Its only unique spin is that instead of fixed party members, you cycle out and level up individually up to 151 of 'em.

Zelda is an action/puzzle game. Zelda 2 was more action-RPG, as is BOTW due to all the added numbers and stats. Even when they add some RPG elements through, it's still action/puzzle first with a bit of RPG thrown in. Symphony of the Night is similar -it has experience points, equippable weapons and items, but it's not an RPG. It's a platforming game with RPG thrown in.

Ocarina of Time is one of my favorite games ever, but it doesn't belong on a best RPG list. Being a long, epic game with a cool story and a fantasy setting sure makes it feel like an RPG, but it isn't.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
No no. You're the one who made the dumb statement: you get to defend it.

Please define "rpg" in a way that includes Pokemon, but not Zelda or Dark Souls.
Dark Souls/ Bloodborne are absolutely RPGs but not Zelda, I don't think Zelda has RPG states to level up,

Lanrutcon

What? You insinuated that Pokemon games are not RPGs which they are. No need to get butthurt.

Sorry, my tone was a bit harsh in my response to you.

The quoted poster said Pokemon are rpgs...but that Zelda games and Dark Souls games aren't. If Pokemon games are RPGs (which they are), then so are Zelda and Dark Souls games are even more so by any reasonable definition, hence my response to him.

Dark Souls/ Bloodborne are absolutely RPGs but not Zelda, I don't think Zelda has RPG states to level up,

Course there is. You level up your health by collecting heart pieces.

This is really easy. Just about the most bare-bones take on "RPG" is a game where you roam around towns and dungeons, fighting random encounters using a turn-based battle system. It's not even a stretch to call Pokemon an RPG, it's the very incarnate of one. Its only unique spin is that instead of fixed party members, you cycle out and level up individually up to 151 of 'em.

Zelda is an action/puzzle game. Zelda 2 was more action-RPG, as is BOTW due to all the added numbers and stats. Even when they add some RPG elements through, it's still action/puzzle first with a bit of RPG thrown in. Symphony of the Night is similar -it has experience points, equippable weapons and items, but it's not an RPG. It's a platforming game with RPG thrown in.

Ocarina of Time is one of my favorite games ever, but it doesn't belong on a best RPG list. Being a long, epic game with a cool story and a fantasy setting sure makes it feel like an RPG, but it isn't.

BOTW, SOTN and Souls games have towns, dungeons, random encounters and leveling up. By your own definition, they're RPGs. If you're excluding games based on turn-based combat, then Baldur's Gate would like a word with you. If you're excluding games based on party members, then the Witcher 3 falls away. Both those feature on every top RPGs of forever lists.

"Really easy", eh?

Lanrutcon

And in pervious God of War games you would collect items like gorgon eyes to increase your Max health, does it make that game RPG as well?

If your definition of an RPG is "levels stats", then yes.

The question I posed was a trick, if you haven't figured it out already. There is no one definition of an "rpg" that doesn't arbitrarily exclude actual RPGs, include games from other genres with light RPG elements or both.

It always comes down to what "feels" like an RPG, and that's completely subjective and varies dramatically between people.

Nester99

We need a new name for this genre.

no one is role playing anything.

rpg seems more about the ability to add stats and grow your character rather then assuming a “role”

one could argue the choice is the RPG part, but collecting Zelda hearts has no choice and many modern games allow you to access all abilities at high levels making choice irrelevant.

Obviously rpgs are a function of pen and and paper games (D&D) where you literal played out a role on a character you made up.

Modern games have moved passed playing a role.

BlackTron

Sorry, my tone was a bit harsh in my response to you.

The quoted poster said Pokemon are rpgs...but that Zelda games and Dark Souls games aren't. If Pokemon games are RPGs (which they are), then so are Zelda and Dark Souls games are even more so by any reasonable definition, hence my response to him.

Course there is. You level up your health by collecting heart pieces.

BOTW, SOTN and Souls games have towns, dungeons, random encounters and leveling up. By your own definition, they're RPGs. If you're excluding games based on turn-based combat, then Baldur's Gate would like a word with you. If you're excluding games based on party members, then the Witcher 3 falls away. Both those feature on every top RPGs of forever lists.

"Really easy", eh?

Those three games don't have random encounters lol...but it really doesn't matter anyway. Yeah, obviously not all RPGs use turn-based combat...or have random encounters....or a party system. Those aspects just so happen to apply to the most ancient and core definition of RPG you can imagine -in other words, Pokemon is an RPG just about no matter how you look at the game. I'm still not sure what other genre you could possibly label it with; it's pure RPG to the bone.

Other games, like Zelda, might attract the RPG label while still predominantly being another genre -action and puzzle in Zelda's case, platforming in SOTN's.

Lanrutcon

Those three games don't have random encounters lol...but it really doesn't matter anyway. Yeah, obviously not all RPGs use turn-based combat...or have random encounters....or a party system. Those aspects just so happen to apply to the most ancient and core definition of RPG you can imagine -in other words, Pokemon is an RPG just about no matter how you look at the game. I'm still not sure what other genre you could possibly label it with; it's pure RPG to the bone.

Other games, like Zelda, might attract the RPG label while still predominantly being another genre -action and puzzle in Zelda's case, platforming in SOTN's.

Many RPGs have platforming, action and puzzles, but not all of them have monster capturing and collecting. So if an arbitrary distinction turns SOTN into a platformer first and an RPG second, then Pokemon would be a monster capturing game first and an RPG second.

And again, your "pure RPG" definition excludes a lot of the top 10 RPGs of all time (as voted by many sites, including this one). Very questionable, and completely subjective...which is my point.

Thurible

More than 5 and in no order:

The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion and Skyrim
Pokemon Emerald and Heartgold
Tokyo Mirage Sessions
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Paper Mario (n64)
Super Mario RPG
Earthbound

BlackTron

Many RPGs have platforming, action and puzzles,

Yeah, but let's not feign ignorance here. It's not arbitrary, you know what type of game these titles really are, unless you work at Kotaku.

Link's Awakening has its platforming sections, but is it so arbitrary if I say it isn't a platform game? You know what kind of game it really is, and what elements were thrown in or secondary, come on.

Lanrutcon

Yeah, but let's not feign ignorance here. It's not arbitrary, you know what type of game these titles really are, unless you work at Kotaku.

Link's Awakening has its platforming sections, but is it so arbitrary if I say it isn't a platform game? You know what kind of game it really is, and what elements were thrown in or secondary, come on.

No, you don't. You know what type of game you think they are. I know what types of games I think they are. It's all subjective without a concrete set of criteria which, without exception or vague "feelings", defines an RPG. Let's look at an example here: you don't consider Dark Souls an RPG, and to me it obviously is. So BlackTron, let's not feign ignorance here: you know what type of game Dark Souls really is, unless you work at Kotaku.

So...my condolences for working at Kotaku?

Guilty_AI

We need a new name for this genre.

no one is role playing anything.

rpg seems more about the ability to add stats and grow your character rather then assuming a “role”

one could argue the choice is the RPG part, but collecting Zelda hearts has no choice and many modern games allow you to access all abilities at high levels making choice irrelevant.

Obviously rpgs are a function of pen and and paper games (D&D) where you literal played out a role on a character you made up.

Modern games have moved passed playing a role.
I usually consider something a RPG if it allows you to build your character (or party) in such a way that can affect the game.
If this build only affects how you fight or how you deal with the situations, its an action RPG.
If this build can directly affect the story in a larger scale, its a 'true' RPG.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

I might have to update my list. I've been playing around with E.Y.E Divine Cybermancy and i'm really liking it so far.

Paltheos

If your definition of an RPG is "levels stats", then yes.

The question I posed was a trick, if you haven't figured it out already. There is no one definition of an "rpg" that doesn't arbitrarily exclude actual RPGs, include games from other genres with light RPG elements or both.

It always comes down to what "feels" like an RPG, and that's completely subjective and varies dramatically between people.

I've co-opted a definition concocted by... IGN, of all places. It seems to fit well. The distinction between an RPG and an action game lies in the level of requirement on time-restricted decisions and performance. Soulsborne, Zelda, Nier, Ys. None of these are RPGs because the foremost requirement in the gameplay is on player performance. The most associated design element of RPGs, storytelling - is not the focal point of design.

I think there's allot of people who would object to Nier in particular there because Yoko Taro is constantly blasting a message in your face but any way I look at the experience I can't see how it's fundamentally different from the old God of War games. Every element of the design has an analogous counterpart. They're both action games. One is just smarter (or trying to be, depending on who you ask).

I know I may be redundant on this point, but think of it this way. What do you do in a Soulsborne game? You explore areas, finding collectibles, and reacting and learning to threats in real-time as they occur. What do you do in Devil May Cry? God of War? This comprises the bulk of the experience. One is selling something different from the other. Soulsborne sells atmosphere, mood, mysterious lore, but the vast majority of the experience is in real-time learning, reaction, and mastery of situations presented to you. It's an action game. There are moments when the action stops in Nier, but there are cutscenes in Devil May Cry too and God of War. Materially, why would you ever describe Zelda, Nier, any of these other titles as anything other than action games?

There are some titles that overlap. Action and adventure do overlap allot. Breath of the Wild could be described as both, but that's because the core design elements of the genres comprise a plurality of the game experience. There may be action RPGs too, but at the very least I can say confidently there aren't as nearly as many as some people say. Like, Tales of games may be action RPGs since a good chunk of the gameplay revolves around time-restricted decisions (combat) but the games are so lenient on your performance of those decisions that I'm kinda iffy on them. I think it might be fair still to leave out the 'action' part because the threshold for success is so low that 'action' can't fairly be evaluated as a chief element of game design, especially when the storytelling and roleplaying so often are centerstage in those games (extended cutscenes, loads upon loads of skits).

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

I've co-opted a definition concocted by... IGN, of all places. It seems to fit well. The distinction between an RPG and an action game lies in the level of requirement on time-restricted decisions and performance. Soulsborne, Zelda, Nier, Ys. None of these are RPGs because the foremost requirement in the gameplay is on player performance. The most associated design element of RPGs, storytelling - is not the focal point of design.

I think there's allot of people who would object to Nier in particular there because Yoko Taro is constantly blasting a message in your face but any way I look at the experience I can't see how it's fundamentally different from the old God of War games. Every element of the design has an analogous counterpart. They're both action games. One is just smarter (or trying to be, depending on who you ask).

I know I may be redundant on this point, but think of it this way. What do you do in a Soulsborne game? You explore areas, finding collectibles, and reacting and learning to threats in real-time as they occur. What do you do in Devil May Cry? God of War? This comprises the bulk of the experience. One is selling something different from the other. Soulsborne sells atmosphere, mood, mysterious lore, but the vast majority of the experience is in real-time learning, reaction, and mastery of situations presented to you. It's an action game. There are moments when the action stops in Nier, but there are cutscenes in Devil May Cry too and God of War. Materially, why would you ever describe Zelda, Nier, any of these other titles as anything other than action games?

There are some titles that overlap. Action and adventure do overlap allot. Breath of the Wild could be described as both, but that's because the core design elements of the genres comprise a plurality of the game experience. There may be action RPGs too, but at the very least I can say confidently there aren't as nearly as many as some people say. Like, Tales of games may be action RPGs since a good chunk of the gameplay revolves around time-restricted decisions (combat) but the games are so lenient on your performance of those decisions that I'm kinda iffy on them. I think it might be fair still to leave out the 'action' part because the threshold for success is so low that 'action' can't fairly be evaluated as a chief element of game design, especially when the storytelling and roleplaying so often are centerstage in those games (extended cutscenes, loads upon loads of skits).

No, I don't agree with that at all. It sounds like someone at IGN is a fan of turn-based games, and uses that to define his version of an RPG. The old TB vs RT feud poking it's head out again. Using a single facet of a game to disregard it when all the other signs are there isn't exactly a step forward. I'll admit there's the spirit of a good idea there, but it's still far from being something I agree with.

Materially, why would you ever describe Zelda, Nier, any of these other titles as anything other than action games?

Because they're more than action games? Any definition that wants to group Nier Automata, DMC and Morrowind together is inherently flawed.

Psykodad

Banned
FF VII/Remake
FF XIV
Shin Megami Tensei 3: Lucifer's Call
Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga
Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth

No particular order.

1. Baldurs Gate 2. I loved the first game, so I was confident I'd love the second too - and I did. Great setting, great characters and great combat. I think I finished it close to 20 times.

2. Mass Effect 2. I really loved the characters, politics and environments of this game. "Dark and gritty" is maybe a cliche term, but thats what ME2 is to me.

3. Final Fantasy 7. I had played a bunch of JRPG's on SNES prior to this, but FF7 was the first 3d rpg I ever played and I really thought it was beautiful at the time. The scale of the game blew me away.

4. Fallout 4. Yes, the story kinda sucks, but the gunplay, flying suits of armor, exploration and mods (gotta have the sexy girls) made me invest hundreds of hours into it.

5. Skyrim. Similar to FO4, I loved Skyrim for the superior combat (compared to Morrowind and Oblivion), the exploration and the mods.

Fallout 2 - Just a wonderful world to explore. Lots of dialogue options with interesting people, large towns and sprawling caverns to venture through. Lots of reasons to try different builds to see different ways of doing things.

TESIII: Morrowind - Massive world with next to no load transitions, unless entering and exiting buildings. The perfect range of skills to learn and the ability to abuse them if you know how, which actively encourages you to try different builds each time you play. Morrowind is the pinnacle of the series and make oblivion/skyrim seem like jokes by comparison.

Dark Souls - A large, sprawling and essentially seamless world (Anor Londo aside). Lots of places to explore, new things to learn and plenty of reasons to try different builds etc. Just has so much replay value with engaging gameplay and even the option to play co-op or PVP. Arguably one of the best games ever made.

Final Fantasy VI - The peak of the FF series. Touching story and characters with a remarkably varied range of skills, incredibly malevolent antagonist, incredible music. They just got everything right with this.

Fallout: New Vegas - The best in the series since FO2. Captured some of the original feeling of FO while still using bethesda's engine. FO3 was pretty cool too, but NV really "got" Fallout and managed to flesh out the aspects that Bethesda didn't seem to understand.

Last edited:

johntown

Banned
1. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - one of the first western RPG's I ever played and I cannot get enough of it. I have played through it multiple times and even learned to enjoy some of the quirks the game has. The side quests are the IMO the best of the franchise. Shivering Isles was one of the best DLC's ever released. The game with some mods to fix some things makes it more enjoyable. I can play this over and over. By far my favorite RPG.

2. Demon's Souls - the game that started my souls gaming addiction. I love this game! The depth, the secrets, the world and the multiplayer. One of the first games I ever cared to platinum and easily my favorite of the souls series.

3. Chrono Cross - yes cross this is not a typo. I was not into RPG's when Chrono Trigger came out and by the time I was Chrono Cross was out. It was really hard to put this at number 3. It is my favorite JRPG of all time. I just love the story, the characters and the combat system is fantastic to the point where I enjoy encounters and actually go and seek them out! This is another one I can play over and over again.

4. The Witcher 3 - once of the best open world RPG's ever made. The side quests themselves are full stories! Everything about the game is amazing and I could easily play multiple times (have not yet though). Graphically and technically superior to most open world games and a world that feels alive with depth and story and actual consequences for your actions.

5. Fallout 3 - I love this game! I dark and gritty atmosphere of hopelessness, the fully fleshed out options to be either be a saint or pure evil. I love wiping Megaton off the map and then going back and wiping out all those commie bastards for their loot. Scourge of the wasteland! Again with this game it is the meaningful choice and actual consequences for your action that I like and all the actual RPG elements in the game.

Top Bottom