• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

YouTube Ad Crisis Caused By Patent Troll Who Wants to Licence Patented Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fret

um

why would you be on youtube's side, who is monetizing videos promoting hate speech, terrorism and such kind of content?

The algorithm that demonetizes videos has its limits, but it works very well overall. Hate speech videos that miss the algorithm are rare. You do not know what you're talking about - please stop spreading false information.

ferr

analogy:

bug exterminator develops a bug radar that can determine which apartments within a building have bugs. he tells the landlord that 50% of apartments in their building are infested and shouts about it so the tenants hear. outrage happens- tenants start to complain and prospective tenants decide not to move in. he doesn't give the landlord his bug radar to make their job easier, but instead seeks to profit from his bug radar.

is the bug radar developer scamming the landlord out of money for not giving them his tech for free?

i ask because of the use of `patent troll` in the OP. are all patent owners trolls when they try to protect their invention?

ElFly

Because it's not as simple as that. Non toxic videos are getting hit by this too. See my post above.

then google needs to step up their game, either by using the patent the guy is selling or by developing a different tech. if it is affecting non-toxic videos, then that is 100% youtube's fault

do not blame the messenger

The algorithm that demonetizes videos has its limits, but it works very well overall. Hate speech videos that miss the algorithm are rare. You do not know what you're talking about - please stop spreading false information.

well the people who pay for the ads disagree. I am ok with youtube and the video makers making a little less money to make sure toxic content is off the platform, it not being monetized should not even be a question

besides, how is it an algorithm if there's a post in this very thread saying they are putting actual people to review videos. how is that even an algorithm

Pewdiepie and Jontron are completely different issues. PDP made a bad joke and apologized (even if you didnt like his apology). Jontron literally went on an insane rant for an hour about his idiotic racist beliefs. I don't understand how Gaf puts these two together constantly. And what, you expect youtube to demonetize Jontrons videos? Even though I think he's a massive racist, it's a slippery slope for youtube to go around demonetizing people for their beliefs.

And Google hasn't catched what videos? How do you know it's a ton of videos? How many views do they have? This was a non issue that sites like the WSJ created to stir up controversy and its affecting my own living on youtube.
Whether he apologized or not is a whole discussion in itself, so I won't derail the discussion with it. Either way, Google saw it as enough reason to kick him from some of its programs. You are right that Jontron made those statements outside of Youtube, so it is more difficult to say whether Google should do something there. But let's not put this stuff under "beliefs" but just say what it is: racism and hate speech.

In any case, there are videos around that Google does not catch and this guy apparently does. That is the whole issue why advertisers are upset and pulling their money. How many videos? I don't know. But enough to have advertisers scared they will be put in front of it.

That it is affecting people that have perfectly good Youtube channels is of course an issue. But that is also on you. You use their platform, you have them run the ads, you lose control when issues pop up. That is a trade off you make, the convenience of not having to deal with those things and just able to focus on content, but then when there are problems you also don't have direct control over the fixes.

It works pretty well overall, but not well enough and advertisers are now pressuring Google to have it work better. Google now has to convince them that the issue is taken care of well enough to get their trust back to run ads again. This is a very normal thing in business. You sometime screw up, lose the trust of a company you work with and now have to rebuild that by addressing their concerns.

analogy:

bug exterminator develops a bug radar that can determine which apartments within a building have bugs. he tells the landlord that 50% of apartments in their building are infested and shouts about it so the tenants hear. outrage happens- tenants start to complain and prospective tenants decide not to move in. he doesn't give the landlord his bug radar to make their job easier, but instead seeks to profit from his bug radar.

is the bug radar developer scamming the landlord out of money for not giving them his tech for free?

i ask because of the use of `patent troll` in the OP. are all patent owners trolls when they try to protect their invention?
I think the issue is mostly that because of how patents work in the US, even if Google comes up with their own solution, this guy can still sue because he has a patent on his own solution that might solve the same problem.

I'm going to wait for more sources on this. I'm not saying this isn't the case, but the article you posted is literally the only one on this subject, and I feel for an issue this huge the reports on this would be far more widespread. This could also be just some random asshole whose using the situation for self promotion.

ferr

I think the issue is mostly that because of how patents work in the US, even if Google comes up with their own solution, this guy can still sue because he has a patent on his own solution that might solve the same problem.

You're right. Patenting software in general has always been perceived as a scummy endeavor anyway.

jviggy43

uh, what? How exactly is racism a "big deal" on youtube? Do you know how much data is uploaded every single day? Videos are already automatically demonetized with any sort of offensive content in the tags.
s.

Which proves that youtube or googles technology isn't up to par and hence we get the man in question of this thread offering a solution. I also don't feel bad for youtubers losing moeny when theyre all rallying around eachother because of money rather than wanting a better system in place that does a better job ar detecting hate speech.

Blows my mind that instead of realizing that people like pewdiepie and jontron are the reason why this has all starred happening they actually rally around behind them, because money>racism and hate speech.

I'm not sure about the wide brush of "he is just making the problem up/exaggerating it" really hold up. Google bosses were pulled into meetings with the UK government and the UK goverment pulled their ads "pending reassurances from Google that Government messages can be delivered in a safe and appropriate way”. If this wasn't a real problem then Google would've easily strolled up to that meeting and given those assurances.

Mael

If youtube wasn't shit at providing its service this wouldn't have been a problem.
Can't knock the guy that found a solution that Google wasn't able to find.

janoDX

I think you can sue the guy who created the algorithm, because he's affecting the income of someone who did nothing wrong, because of his software that is defective, let's be real.

Remember that he's not affecting just toxic channels, he's affecting everyone with it. Meanwhile the Google's measure is affecting most of those toxic channels with some of them getting out from the cracks but then getting fixed.

I think you can sue the guy who created the algorithm, because he's affecting the income of someone who did nothing wrong, because of his software that is defective, let's be real.

Remember that he's not affecting just toxic channels, he's affecting everyone with it. Meanwhile the Google's measure is affecting most of those toxic channels with some of them getting out from the cracks but then getting fixed.
He is not affecting anything, only Google can affect stuff on Youtube. He is just pointing out some videos are monetized that probably shouldn't be.

bachikarn

Did he create the problem of people posting problematic shit on youtube? Or just point it out?

I may be misunderstanding but it seems more like finding one termite in fringe part of an apartment complex that already hires pest control, and then telling all the residents that there is a huge termite infestation and the structural integrity of the buildings are at risk. And then telling the apartment managers if they try to fix it themselves he will sue them for patent infringement.

Edit: lol should have read page 2. Just saw someone else made a very similar analogy

Kart94

Banned
People actually think this Ad thing is going to last more than one or two weeks?

I bet as soon as this whole fiasco blows over, everyone will just quietly come back and pretend nothing happened.

Anyway, dude just screwed over alot of innocent Youtubers just for money and not just pricks like Jontron.

KingV

then google needs to step up their game, either by using the patent the guy is selling or by developing a different tech. if it is affecting non-toxic videos, then that is 100% youtube's fault

do not blame the messenger

well the people who pay for the ads disagree. I am ok with youtube and the video makers making a little less money to make sure toxic content is off the platform, it not being monetized should not even be a question

besides, how is it an algorithm if there's a post in this very thread saying they are putting actual people to review videos. how is that even an algorithm

Here is what I can almost guarantee how Googles algorithm works and what is going on. They likely have some form of neural net or other machine learning algorithm that outputs a score that determines likelihood of being hate speech/terrorism based on a number of factors that Google collects in its YouTube data. The cutoff point for that score is tuned to maximize coverage of "bad" videos and minimize the impact on everyone else.

Patent dude has found some subset of videos that Googles algorithm misses, possibly because the model is old and needs to be updated.

The people reviewing are likely reviewing the videos in the interim score range that is like still kind of high, but not high enough for Google to feel comfortable automatically blocking, because there's too many false positives (I.e, good videos flagged as bad).

This review is probably an temporary thing while Google refreshes, validates, and tests a new machine learning model. This model will be tuned with the videos patent dude uncovered, and will have better coverage and specificity than the current model. But updating the model takes time to do properly.

In 1-2 months that will be done, Google will deploy it, and won't even talk to dude bro. He will sue saying they violated his patent, and it will be thrown out when they explain they don't do any of this primitive "trending keyword" analysis he is doing.

compo

Banned
I don't understand why you guys are mad at this guy, and not the advertisers. He's not the one who made the decision for all the advertisers to pull out of YouTube. He just shined a light on what was happening.

Wouldn't it make more sense to get mad at the advertisers? I mean, after all, these are only the "occasional, deep content, terroristy video" that "nobody sees anyway." Aren't you guys supposed to be getting mad at advertisers for choosing a zero tolerance policy with these "harmless deep content" videos?

Syriel

What kind of stupid super obvious astroturf is this?

Could you at least bother to not use an account with just 9 posts on it?

The astroturf is even more obvious given that the original video with "PROOF" completely broke down under scrutiny. ;)

As to the OP, if the story is accurate, guy is putting in the work and he deserves to get paid.

Not sure why you would call him a patent troll, when it sounds like he actually developed a working system and is trying to sell it. Patent trolls don't usually develop anything.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
These h3h3 bots are out of control.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom