• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ethan of H3H3 retracts defamatory claims against WSJ writer (WSJ responds)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Up1: Video was removed.

https://twitter.com/h3h3productions/status/848698945114996737

qO9wdiA.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lM49MmzrCNc

So Ethan of H3H3 has contacted the content creator of a YouTube video that was claimed by the Wall Street Journal of being a racist video having ads attached to it.

MOD RECAP:
WSJ journalist posted images of racist video with ads.

Ethan (H3H3) made a video saying those images are photo shopped, showing a screencap of the income on the video from the uploader which showed no income in that period, making the conclusion no ads could have been showed and the WSJ is lying.

Ethan was wrong. Turns out the video was copyright claimed, so ads have been running on it, but the income just didn't go to the uploader.

FURTHER MOD ADDITION:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L71Uel98sJQ

Statement from Ethan.

MORE IN THE ADVENTURES OF H3H3 FUCKED UP:
https://www.dowjones.com/press-room/statement-wall-street-journal/
The Wall Street Journal's response
The Wall Street Journal stands by its March 24th report that major brand advertisements were running alongside objectionable videos on YouTube. Any claim that the related screenshots or any other reporting was in any way fabricated or doctored is outrageous and false. The screenshots related to the article -- which represent only some of those that were found -- were captured on March 23rd and March 24th.

wwm0nkey

1. This dude is friends with Youtube racist and idiot Sargon of Akkaad.

2. He's sidestepping the fact that Youtube has a major problem with racist and white nationalist channels and advertisers are pulling out anyway.

Doesn't change the fact that WSJ was being super fucking shady about this going by his video which he backs up

eFKac

2. He's sidestepping the fact that Youtube has a major problem with racist and white nationalist channels and advertisers are pulling out anyway.

How does any of this have any relation to the topic at hand?

I wouldn't say hes sidestepping it. It's just not the issue he's focusing on.

BY2K

Membero Americo

That doesn't change the fact that one guy from the WSJ seems to be on a smearing campaign on Youtube and he's using fake screenshots.

Ehm, haven't finished the video yet. But he actually shows the damn video being monetized. It doesn't matter if is is 3 days, 30 days or 300 days. The problem is that it happens at all.

Kolx

He got some good points in his video. May wanna discuss these instead of attacking him personally?

NexusCell

I mean, yes, he's sort of an asshole, but he's not wrong in this instance.

kmax

WSJ is owned by Rupert Murdoch, the former owner (until it tanked) of the disgraced News of the World. He is literally evil incarnate.

They also love Trump.

zsynqx

That doesn't somehow make the WSJ's seemingly deceptive reporting any less wrong.

He got some good points in his video. May wanna discuss these instead of attacking him personally?

How am I personally attacking him? Sorry when you fail to address actual problems on Youtube and even defend some of them you take a hit in credibility.

Kinyou

Ehm, haven't finished the video yet. But he actually shows the damn video being monetized. It doesn't matter if is is 3 days, 30 days or 300 days. The problem is that it happens at all.
It does change the idea though that youtube doesn't give a shit. Maybe they could be faster than 3 days but with a platform that large it's simply bound to happen that people will upload shit.

BY2K

Membero Americo

It was monetized for no more than 3 days before YouTube's system caught it.

He only made less than 8$ on it.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)

Actually if the system is automatically unmonetizing the video after detecting something is wrong, then it does matter.

Alienfan

Yeah where's his video on that. Or Jon Tron. Or his toxic fan base. His videos on racism seem to deal with false accusations of racism, which is fine, they're typically good and valuable videos like this one, but it would be nice if he also did a video on YouTube's white nationalism problem. But he won't

hwy_61

Banned

Way to fucking derail the thread bruh

Uhyve

Seems pretty open and shut (edit: or not). Though the brands pulling their ads being completely due to that journalist was only that journalists opinion.

I'm sure these massive companies also have their own people looking into the situation.

Syder

Didn't know that gave the WSJ license to lie.

It does change the idea though that youtube doesn't give a shit
We already know they have systems in place. The problem is they apparently miss some stuff.

It is damn shady how the views line up though and it seems the pictures are not real. WSJ should come with an explanation of this and if the reporter is lying, he should be fired, since this is unacceptable of course.

Google does seem to think it has an issue itself, although maybe not with these specific things, but at least with some other extremist videos that they are looking into.

The video only made $7.91 and was quickly demonetized:

http://i.imgur.com/oYLeqIL.jpg
I get that. I don't get how he could make that 8 dollars however. H3H3 says you can't monetize videos at all with certain words in the title, but this one was for 3 days. It's little money, but it does add up if this happens over tons of videos. And for advertisers that still matters, because you are being put in front of questionable content.

If it is automated it's pretty weird that they allowed the video to be monetized at all if it had that in the title. Even if it was like 5 days.
I'm not 100% convinced by the evidence, but I guess it brings things into question and YouTube and WSJ should probably respond

Way to fucking derail the thread bruh

No I'm not. He's clearly propping up this bullshit narrative (which has gotten him tons of views and attention btw) while sidestepping Youtube's actual problems that provide the context for the WSJ article. It's been like this ever since the PDP debacle.

Yeah where's his video on that. Or Jon Tron. Or his toxic fan base. His videos on racism seem to deal with false accusations of racism, which is fine, but it would be nice if he also did a video on YouTube's white nationalism problem. But he won't

Because his audience would hate that.They would probably accuse Ethan of being bought by SJWs.

OT: Oh look, the WSJ is kinda shit and misleading. What a surprise.

No I'm not. He's clearly propping up this bullshit narrative (which has gotten him tons of views and attention btw) while sidestepping Youtube's actual problems. It's been like this ever since the PDP debacle.
How is it a bullshit narrative? And that's irrelevant to the topic at hand.

Puruzi

Banned
No I'm not. He's clearly propping up this bullshit narrative (which has gotten him tons of views and attention btw) while sidestepping Youtube's actual problems that provide the context for the WSJ article. It's been like this ever since the PDP debacle.

None of that is relevant though, stop derailing.

FeMui

Banned
WSJ is owned by Rupert Murdoch, the former owner (until it tanked) of the disgraced News of the World. He is literally evil incarnate.

They also love Trump.

>Murdoch

4pDVhxi.gif

Motherfucker still rules over the just as bad News of the World's successor The S*n. Fucking piece of shit.

Wall Street Journal is garbage, yes. it's also important that Google steps up it's game and shuts down white nationalist and other abhorrent right wing bullshit...

Also it's very unlikely these companies pulled ads based on one journalist, they have to have large teams of people verifying it's the case before pulling ads they've spent money on.

As for the screenshot having the same view count, it's entirely possible (and likely) that the page was refreshed before the counter could be updated.

If it is automated it's pretty weird that they allowed the video to be monetized at all if it had that in the title. Even if it was like 5 days.
I'm not 100% convinced by the evidence, but I guess it brings things into question and YouTube and WSJ should probably respond

My guess is it gets flagged and gets put up to be reviewed? I'm not in the know on how the situation works, but getting demonetized in a few days is a pretty decent system, I'm not going to complain about that when we're talking about something as large and wide as YouTube.

ZoddGutts

That first post derail lol. Anyways, seems like Youtube has a system to make sure racist vids don't get monetizing after it recognizes it.

Kinyou

You don't see an irony in you accusing him of sidestepping issues while you completely sidestep the issue this thread is about?

I get that. I don't get how he could make that 8 dollars however. H3H3 says you can't monetize videos at all with certain words in the title, but this one was for 3 days. It's little money, but it does add up if this happens over tons of videos. And for advertisers that still matters, because you are being put in front of questionable content.
Youtube should definitely withhold the money. I believe they already do that when a video gets flagged for copyright infringement.

wwm0nkey

0 of this is relevant to the fact that WSJ lied dude

Chumley

Banned
None of that is relevant though, stop derailing.

Of course it's relevant, it's H3H3. This guy is a total fucking scumbag who has an agenda against the media because they're attacking his alt-right pals. He's as manipulative and deceptive as anyone at the WSJ is. He publicly capes for fucking JonTron of all people.

sk3

Banned
This outrageous reporting by WSJ and others is hurting creators. It's like nuking a city because it has criminals in it. Do you think it's fair that all of h3h3's income was pulled a few days ago? Would you call their content racist and anti-semitic?

h3h3 is reacting to irresponsible reporting that threatens their livelihood. What do you expect them to do?

Machina

Banned

This guilt by association stuff is really starting to get out of hand

Jawmuncher

How am I personally attacking him? Sorry when you fail to address actual problems on Youtube and even defend some of them you take a hit in credibility.

Ad hominem is a no no

I think too many people in here ATM are blinded at the bigger matter at hand. What's going on right now is affecting all youtubers regadless of content they have on their channel. Less advertisers means less money for all of them. That's the point of this video and is what should be discussed.

Puruzi

Banned
Of course it's relevant, it's H3H3. This guy is a total fucking scumbag who has an agenda against the media because they're attacking his alt-right pals. He's as manipulative and deceptive as anyone at the WSJ is. He publicly capes for fucking JonTron of all people.

And that isn't what this thread is about, so it's literally not relevant. This affecting all youtubers.

Fat4all

Banned
It's true that there has been a big push by a lot of youtubers of the narrative of "new media vs old media", but this video is quite interesting. It's something that should be addressed.

Uhyve

When the alt right keep citing "FAKE NEWS" do think it's good for sane and rational discourse to counter the alt right with actual literal fake news? Do you think that helps in any way?

wwm0nkey

While I did think what WSJ did with PDP was kind of scummy, this guy is friends with jontron so whatever.

I do not care what you think of him and his friends, he presented pretty good evidence and you can't just ignore that because of who he is friends with. Its not like JonTron saying black people commit more crime with nothing to back it up. Ethan actually has something to back up his argument

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom