• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ethan of H3H3 retracts defamatory claims against WSJ writer (WSJ responds)

Status
Not open for further replies.
$750M photoshops

Google getting boned
The issue isn't just about this one article though. Google itself has admitted already it needs to do better.

I can't watch the vid. Can someone bullet point the proof?
The writer of the WSJ article tweeted this: https://twitter.com/jacknicas/status/845383192274092032

It shows 2 Coca-Cola ads on a video that - according to H3H3 who contacted the uploader of the video - has not been monetized since last September. H3H3 shows a screenshot made by the uploader of the video as proof. Also, the view count on two screenshots posted on Twitter by the WSJ journalist show the same view count, sidebar, likes, but different ads, making it look photoshopped also.

So either the uploader is photoshopping something, or the WSJ journalist is.

jediyoshi

I thought Ethan was a nice lovable dude

fd8r74b.png

#scumbaglife

Magwik

Banned
It's super shitty of the dude who wrote the WSJ article
But on the other hand this will now be forever used as proof that the big media is out to get the YouTube stars because they can't keep their racism to themselves. Even JonTron is already pointing it today. No doubt TB will join in on it too and say "see I was right the media is out to get us"

Chumley

Banned
Trash journalistic outfits like the WSJ/Cnn etc are the only reason why FAKE NEWS has become a thing beyond 2% of people.

No, the only reason why it's a thing is because bigots and racists don't want to take responsibility for their own views and instead want to blame others.

Makai

Youtube statistics published for video with slur in title. Was not monetized in last year. WSJ screenshots show video had ads from major brands recently. Ethan claims WSJ faked the screenshots.

Maximo

It's super shitty of the dude who wrote the WSJ article
But on the other hand this will now be forever used as proof that the big media is out to get the YouTube stars because they can't keep their racism to themselves. Even JonTron is already pointing it today. No doubt TB will join in on it too and say "see I was right the media is out to get us"

Then the media needs to be better, WSJ supplied the fuel and should be the ones condemned for it.

• WSJ posted a screenshot of a video with 'N..' in the title showing a coke ad
  • Ethan contacted the creator of that video
  • Video had been demonitized within a few days of last september
  • WSJ only recently posted this article on said video. in the screenshot video had 261Kish views
  • The video currently has around those same 261kish views as of Ethans contacting the creator
  • Therefore ipso facto WSJ somehow managed to get that video with an ad recently despite being demonitized 6ish months ago

Yes he does. Everyone does. Racism and white supremacy is a fairly straightforward condemn/not condemn issue. By staying silent on it you're saying loud and clear you can live with it.

Ah yes the 'you're with us or you're against us'. Some people just don't have an opinion on it and/or want to make their opinion know. It's their right to keep their opinions to themselves. That doesn't mean you get to demonize them for not being outspoken.

Tiops

No I'm not. He's clearly propping up this bullshit narrative (which has gotten him tons of views and attention btw) while sidestepping Youtube's actual problems that provide the context for the WSJ article. It's been like this ever since the PDP debacle.

But he's proving the context is fake. Why would he focus on something that is apparently fake? Unless you still think that PewdiePie content is alt-right propaganda.

Of course it's relevant, it's H3H3. This guy is a total fucking scumbag who has an agenda against the media because they're attacking his alt-right pals. He's as manipulative and deceptive as anyone at the WSJ is. He publicly capes for fucking JonTron of all people.

And this is why it's kinda useless to try to discuss these questions here on GAF. Everyone is alt-right and friends with nazis even with Ethan making videos exposing racists YouTubers and being a pretty liberal guy from everything he's said on his videos. And Ethan didn't defend Jontron on his recent racist issues, by the way.

WSJ acted scummy that's for sure. But the other hand, neo-nazi Youtubers are the last people I care about. Let them fight?

So PewDiePie and others lose ad revenue because WSJ is more interested in big fish, but not the real neo nazis? Its miserable scummy reporting. Everyone would be supportive of WSJ if its writers were behaving with integrity.

Syriel

Someone at the WSJ photoshopped screenshots of a Youtube video with a racist title to make it appear that ads from major corporations played before it.

View count on YT is not a live counter.

Skimmed thru the vid, but didn't see any screen shots shown in the context of an article.

Hylian7

That first post derail lol. Anyways, seems like Youtube has a system to make sure racist vids don't get monetizing after it recognizes it.

Of course it's relevant, it's H3H3. This guy is a total fucking scumbag who has an agenda against the media because they're attacking his alt-right pals. He's as manipulative and deceptive as anyone at the WSJ is. He publicly capes for fucking JonTron of all people.
Ethan and Hila have not mentioned, acknowledged, or publicly communicated with JonTron since his whole racist debacle a few weeks back.

We technically have no idea if Ethan agreed with Jon on any of that shit, and I honestly doubt he does as Jon said some truly fucked up shit.

I agree H3H3 in general has been on a decline lately, especially with videos about "the triggered SJWs" (the videos they goof on are usually stupid, but then I really don't like the "triggered feminist" talk that follows. Hugh Mungus being a prime example.), but it's a false narrative to say that Ethan has an anti-media agenda while being all buddy with his alt-right friends.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Trash journalistic outfits like the WSJ/Cnn etc are the only reason why FAKE NEWS has become a thing beyond 2% of people.

Well that's nonsense. Fake news is a thing because a hostile nation spent hundreds of millions of dollars to spread bullshit stories largely using social media as the avenue and in fact deliberately avoiding mainstream ousts because they usually do basic fact checking and add their own editorial bias.

The mainstream media certainly dropped the ball on reporting and exposing the fake news phenomenon but they had nothing to do with its creation. Fox News certainly softened up the credulity of a huge segment of the population but it is not a normal mainstream news outlet and never had been.

Every mainstream outlet will make mistakes, run poorly sourced or deliberately skewed and sometimes even falsified stories but it is absolutely not Fake News.

WSJ is a corporatist right wing voice of the financial establishment but that's a far cry from Comet Pizza and Hillary murder stories.

Your claim is demonstrably false.

Salaadin

No he fucking does not have to
He made a name for himself by calling out other Youtubers for their bullshit yet refuses to take a position when it's his buddy that's in the wrong. He's not required to say anything but it most definitely is eyebrow raising. Support through silence.

Fwiw, I don't think that Ethan does support Jontron but it's poor form on his part to keep quiet

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
fd8r74b.png

#scumbaglife

I can't tell what your post is trying to say but for anyone wondering what that tweet was about, it was in response to some heat that JonTron got for the dumb shit he was saying during women's day. Ethan, like he always does for his buddies, is defending him in that tweet by sarcastically saying JonTron doesn't supporting women.

Applebite

Well sorry. No need to be patronising. I honestly thought this only came to light with the stream a few weeks ago.
Don't be sorry. He had said some stupid things certainly worthy of facepalming at, but nothing to the level of the gene-pool shit that popped up recently.

So PewDiePie and others lose ad revenue because WSJ is more interested in big fish, but not the real neo nazis? Its miserable scummy reporting. Everyone would be supportive of WSJ if its writers were behaving with integrity.

:lol Yeah, all the posts in the thread from people who have never read the WSJ in their life but commenting about its views and slants because Murdoch owns them really drives your point home.

Fat4all

Banned
Well sorry. No need to be patronising. I honestly thought this only came to light with the stream a few weeks ago.

that's when most people first heard his views, yes

but it has always been on the outskirts of his personality through the years

Slime

Banned
Scummy on the part of the author, hope they're disciplined.

Shame this will be used as fuel to justify the larger alt-right war on journalism by racist gamer shut-ins.

Arkeband

Banned
1. This dude is friends with Youtube racist and idiot Sargon of Akkaad.

2. He's sidestepping the fact that Youtube has a major problem with racist and white nationalist channels and advertisers are pulling out anyway.

What an absolute garbage first post. The forum equivalent of "LALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU". A douchey derail of the highest magnitude.

Unless I've missed something major I've watched most of Ethan and Hila's content and it's actually really misrepresentative to call them racists, in fact they have on multiple occasions called out actual racist videos, people fabricating videos about how black people are thugs in various 'pranks in the hood' type bullshit.

If this is purely because he made videos with Jon Tron before his idiotic racist outburst then that's unfair. I think he should actually comment on what Jon Tron said but he's been completely silent on the issue which I can understand considering Ethan and Hila are being sued right now and I can imagine that's hard enough to deal with on it's own.

Didn't the UK government tell them to handle the shit ?
Yes. That was about ads being shows on terrorist videos and such. Google admitted it needs to do more there, so they definitely see issues with their current system also.

Either the WSJ faked their screenshots, or the dude with a video called "Chief Keef Dancing to Alabama Nigger" faked his.
The journalist posted these two pics on Twitter:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C7tnJ4LVYAMOweX.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C7tJ1GNVQAARRBZ.jpg

Same views, same likes, same sidebar. That means a) one of them is photoshopped or b) there is a midroll ad going on (does Youtube still have these?) and both ads showed while watching the video.

Other screenshots however show different view counts and multiple instances:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C7tnJ-1VQAAvOI2.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C7tJ1GPVwAIUSea.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C7tJ1GNU8AAXuxw.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C7tJ1GPVwAAKZB2.jpg

Bit-Bit

Bless your heart.
You are not living in reality. You have built a false narrative of H3H3 and have somehow used that to ironically sidestep the actual issue that H3H3 brought up.

Yes he does. Everyone does. Racism and white supremacy is a fairly straightforward condemn/not condemn issue. By staying silent on it you're saying loud and clear you can live with it.
And I don't agree with you, so are with at an impasse. Clearly Ethan and the cunt was friends before this no matter how much you fuckers likes to mouth off about doing what's right I highly doubt if you had a platform you would also publicly denounce a good friend you recently founded out was shitty humans are more nuance than that. As long as Ethan doesn't make a video supporting the cunt I won't get many panties in a twist over it because I understand people are actually complex.

Chumley

Banned
Bless your heart.
You are not living in reality. You have built a false narrative of H3H3 and have somehow used that to ironically sidestep the actual issue that H3H3 brought up.

False narrative. Lmao.

I've watched this guy for years. Your head is in the fucking sand if you don't see what he's become lately. You're the one not living in reality.

The_Kid

H3H3 just appears in Twitter conversations sometimes with Jon joking about the idea people think Jon is a nazi. While I wouldn't say he defends Jon his silence and joking speaks that it obviously doesn't bother him too much.

And I guess that's part of the problem of why I can't get get on H3H3's side with this. Yeah WSJ is probably really shady here, but this sort of Youtuber community is forming where they want everyone to distrust anything bad said about them, a sort of "us vs them" scenario. And it sucks because I feel like I either have to defend PewdiePie or WSJ and the reality is I think they're both horrible.

jett

D-Member
Well, that WSJ reporter better get shitchanned if what H3H3's said is accurate. It's pretty suspect how the dude on twitter seems to be proud of he himself getting companies to drop YouTube.

:lol Yeah, all the posts in the thread from people who have never read the WSJ in their life but commenting about its views and slants because Murdoch owns them really drives your point home.

I don't really understand your intention here. Views and slants is a different conversation and you can take the article at face value. "Look at all these things we've cut together to make PDP look like a neo-nazi. Grab your torches!"

The writers clearly know even the hint of outrage will cause advertisers to omit themselves from the ad equation.

Syriel

The issue isn't just about this one article though. Google itself has admitted already it needs to do better.

The writer of the WSJ article tweeted this: https://twitter.com/jacknicas/status/845383192274092032

It shows 2 Coca-Cola ads on a video that - according to H3H3 who contacted the uploader of the video - has not been monetized since last September. H3H3 shows a screenshot made by the uploader of the video as proof. Also, the view count on two screenshots posted on Twitter by the WSJ journalist show the same view count, sidebar, likes, but different ads, making it look photoshopped also.

So either the uploader is photoshopping something, or the WSJ journalist is.

Did you even look at the Twitter link you posted?

The two screenshots posted have:
- Different view count
- Different order of videos on sidebar
- Different number of likes

The difference is small, but it is clearly there.

If you're going to post a link to a tweet, you shouldn't claim something that is the exact opposite of what's in said tweet.

And I don't agree with you, so are with at an impasse. Clearly Ethan and the cunt was friends before this no matter how much you fuckers likes to mouth off about doing what's right I highly doubt if you had a platform you would also publicly denounce a good friend you recently founded out was shitty humans are more nuance than that. As long as Ethan doesn't make a video supporting the cunt I won't get many panties in a twist over it because I understand people are actually complex.

strange, considering how much he likes to have an opinion on anything and everyone else.

Either the WSJ faked their screenshots, or the dude with a video called "Chief Keef Dancing to Alabama Nigger" faked his.

I don't put it past a random reporter looking to make a name for himself to do this sort of thing. I also don't put it past a random dude who posts videos with "nigger" in the title to do the other thing.

There are reporters -- major reporters -- still working today who have a history of putting bullshit out there. But really, a screencap from the Alabama Nigger guy is going to just flip me 100% the other way on this WSJ thing?

That just plays into this YouTuber persecution complex a little too conveniently. There *is* a problem with a bunch of shitty, open racists on YouTube getting their shit monetized. Even if the WSJ reporter is exaggerating his smoking gun evidence of it, the baseline fact is still there.

YouTube is a potential way for the types of dudes who used to sell mimeographed screeds to 50 other Nazis to make a living off unsuspecting advertisers. Yet Ethan is utterly unconcerned about that and is going all in on this war against new media narrative that just hilariously overstates what amounts to one reporter who may or may not be exaggerating his claims.

I mean, if Ethan's evidence is 100% true, that still leaves us with 5 or so days of monetization for a video with "Nigger" right in the fucking title. What else gets to slide by?

This is a good post. Ethan is taking the word of a man who posts 'hilarious' remixes of a segregationist anthem at face value in what is very clearly a crusade at this point to discredit any notion that YouTube has a problem with white supremacists making ad revenue on its network.

Seesaw15

So this is like when Mcnulty made up a serial killer to get more resources for the department? Clearly a bad look for WSJ if true.
mcnulty-uniform.gif

However, the wheels of change were already in motion before the WSJ article came out. The optics of both H3H3 videos are kind of fucked up in the framing that this is a completely fabricated issue made up to smear some youtubers.

Did you even look at the Twitter link you posted?

The two screenshots posted have:
- Different view count
- Different order of videos on sidebar
- Different number of likes

The difference is small, but it is clearly there.

If you're going to post a link to a tweet, you shouldn't claim something that is the exact opposite of what's in said tweet.
See my previous post. The same view count is from two different tweets. These images:

- https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C7tJ1GNVQAARRBZ.jpg
- https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C7tnJ4LVYAMOweX.jpg

Tweets here:

- https://twitter.com/jacknicas/status/845383192274092032
- https://twitter.com/jacknicas/status/845350538837311488

Could be two ads in one video maybe, but it does look strange. However, he does show multiple other videos and screenshots, so... we don't really know anything for sure. H3H3 picks these two to compare and the uploader of the video is probably not someone you should just trust at his word either.

Edit: OK, ignore this stuff. Just went to Youtube and refreshing a page shows the same view count and sidebar due to caching on Youtubes side. So H3H3 better make sure his source is correct, because if not, he is doing the exact thing he accused the WSJ of.

Uhyve

I mean, if Ethan's evidence is 100% true, that still leaves us with 5 or so days of monetization for a video with "Nigger" right in the fucking title. What else gets to slide by?
Youtube's filters have gotten alot stricter in the past few months. It's ridiculous that a video with a title like that ever got through their system, but it's gotta be fixed by now.

Update: Coca-Cola is pulling all non-search ads with Google in response to our story. Two separate Coke ads played before this racist video.

The tweet clearly says that two ads were played before the video.

Claiming "photoshop!" because they have the same video count and everything is odd because.... the writer of the tweet is claiming that the ads occurred one after the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom