• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ethan of H3H3 retracts defamatory claims against WSJ writer (WSJ responds)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not care what you think of him and his friends, he presented pretty good evidence and you can't just ignore that because of who he is friends with. Its not like JonTron saying black people commit more crime with nothing to back it up. Ethan actually has something to back up his argument
In addition to that, H3H3 isn't alt right

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Interesting video but I would want someone else to investigate further, Ethan has pretty much lost all credibility when it comes to things like this with me.

One of my clients had their YouTube campaigns pulled entirely because of this. Now I'm very suspicious of this having actually happened

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Should remove the "claimed" in the OP. The video obviously made some money, no matter how small.

Buckle

Of course it's relevant, it's H3H3. This guy is a total fucking scumbag who has an agenda against the media because they're attacking his alt-right pals. He's as manipulative and deceptive as anyone at the WSJ is. He publicly capes for fucking JonTron of all people.
Oh Jesus...did H3H3 finally come out and stick up for Jontron after the gene pool comments?

I was hoping he would either denounce it or keep quiet.

Jawmuncher

WSJ doing some bad reporting isn't enough to take down YouTube or the creators on YouTube.

It isn't. But if it's all relateble, it's already definitely affected a lot of them in numerous ways.

I just want my red hot nickel ball channel to remain for years and the guy to still get some decent money from it.

We already know they have systems in place. The problem is they apparently miss some stuff.

It is damn shady how the views line up though and it seems the pictures are not real. WSJ should come with an explanation of this and if the reporter is lying, he should be fired, since this is unacceptable of course.

Google does seem to think it has an issue itself, although maybe not with these specific things, but at least with some other extremist videos that they are looking into.

I get that. I don't get how he could make that 8 dollars however. H3H3 says you can't monetize videos at all with certain words in the title, but this one was for 3 days. It's little money, but it does add up if this happens over tons of videos. And for advertisers that still matters, because you are being put in front of questionable content.
There are 300 hours of YouTube content uploaded every minute. The system allows for uploading of whatever content you like, the automated content checking takes time however when you're dealing with such large amounts of information

Boke1879

This outrageous reporting by WSJ and others is hurting creators. It's like nuking a city because it has criminals in it. Do you think it's fair that all of h3h3's income was pulled a few days ago? Would you call their content racist and anti-semitic?

h3h3 is reacting to irresponsible reporting that threatens their livelihood. What do you expect them to do?

Youtube and google should do a better job of policing their website then. The people pulling their content from this most likely have people looking into this themselves.

What WSJ is scummy as hell, but youtube has problem that's totally separate from this.

Interesting video but I would want someone else to investigate further, Ethan has pretty much lost all credibility when it comes to things like this with me.

You can dislike someone all you like for their views, but I don't see how that should affect credibility on this specific subject. Has he been caught lying about this before? If not then what reason is there to doubt this?

You want someone else to investigate, but what is there to do other than present the exact same evidence again? Seems pretty open and shut.

One of my clients had their YouTube campaigns pulled entirely because of this. Now I'm very suspicious of this having actually happened
There is an issue with ads being put in front of extremist videos, and Google even addressed that saying it will make improvements in the coming weeks: https://blog.google/topics/google-europe/improving-our-brand-safety-controls/

There are 300 hours of YouTube content uploaded every minute. The system allows for uploading of whatever content you like, the automated content checking takes time however when you're dealing with such large amounts of information
Automated checking on keywords in titles and descriptions does not take time. That is a very simple check for words and then have it flagged as not being able to monetize. Actual content in the video being scanned, yes, that can be a bit slower due to the volume.

Uhyve

Should remove the "claimed" in the OP. The video obviously made some money, no matter how small.
The video is actually about the WSJ claiming that the video still had ads on it after the recent Youtube crackdown. The OP could be edited to make that more clear for people.

I am surprised though that it was ever able to be monetized, you would think that the N word would be an instant flag.

Lord Fagan

Of course it's relevant, it's H3H3. This guy is a total fucking scumbag who has an agenda against the media because they're attacking his alt-right pals. He's as manipulative and deceptive as anyone at the WSJ is. He publicly capes for fucking JonTron of all people.

Can you post the timestamp in OP's link where he does this?

jediyoshi

1. This dude is friends with Youtube racist and idiot Sargon of Akkaad.

2. He's sidestepping the fact that Youtube has a major problem with racist and white nationalist channels and advertisers are pulling out anyway.

Is this a post truth reality? What are the social implications of a news outlet forging sources?

Im not writing off H3H3 just because you seem to think I should. I reserve the criticism for JonTron, not his friends. All this constant false equivalency combined with outrage is a cancer. Use your whole mental faculties, please.

Chumley

Banned
When the alt right keep citing "FAKE NEWS" do think it's good for sane and rational discourse to counter the alt right with actual literal fake news? Do you think that helps in any way?

Sane and rational discourse will never happen with the alt right no matter what the other side brings to the table. Shoddy reporting by the WSJ is a drop in the bucket, it's not comparable to what H3H3 stands for and what kind of culture his channel thrives in.

Maximo

Oh Jesus...did H3H3 finally come out and stick up for Jontron after the gene pool comments?

IDK if its still true but Ethan and Hila moved because a few months ago JonTron gave Hila a editing job to help Jontron before alot of his views became public. With them in a legal battle and hurting financially its probably a stupid idea to tell your wife's boss hes a piece of shit, not saying its *right* to not say anything but I can understand why.

Terrifyer

Banned
YouTube absolutely has problems that need addressing and it's very possible this collapse would have happened with or without the WSJ, but that doesn't change the fact that they need to be slammed for lying if that is what happened.

You may not like h3h3, but given that they're currently being sued in part for defamation I don't think they'd fabricate a story like this and open themselves up to another suit just to get revenge on the WSJ.

sappyday

I want to know this too. I don't know if people are either assuming he's an alt-right just cause he associated with Jon or he actually defended Jon on what he has said recently. Because, just cause he was friends with Jon (a lot of youtubers were friends with Jon, let's not forget this) doesn't mean they ride the same horse. I can understand him staying quiet but unless Ethan straight up defended Jon then I wouldn't go around saying he's a alt-righter.

Nabbis

It's quite possible. Every single industry has a generous amount of skeletons in it's closet. Though i suppose it will be a uphill battle on this now, it's very hard to take action on a legitimate issue once it's been tainted with bad publicity. Not to mention that this is no longer just about money but the parties have integrated themselves with a massive cultural upheaval as well.

TB12

Banned
Crazy from WSJ if they realy did this.. I predict a pewdiepie reaction video, and this thing will blow up big :)

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
You can dislike someone all you like for their views, but I don't see how that should affect credibility on this specific subject. Has he been caught lying about this before? If not then what reason is there to doubt this?

You want someone else to investigate, but what is there to do other than present the exact same evidence again? Seems pretty open and shut.

I don't dislike Ethan, I'm a big fan of H3H3 but the last video he made about this was full of bullshit and some pretty scummy behaviour, and anything dealing with the Piediepew drama was also filled with bullshit and lies on his part. He has no credibility when it comes to issues that affect him or his friends.

So yeah, just cus I like Ethan and his content doesn't mean I'm just going to believe him, especially with subjects like these.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
WSJ acted scummy that's for sure. But the other hand, neo-nazi Youtubers are the last people I care about. Let them fight?

Goron2000

best junior ever
Just to clear up the jontron stuff a little. To my knowledge they've not defended him in any way, they've just kept quiet. There was a story a while back they told in that Jontron hired Hila when they had no money and Hila may have had to go back to Israel without that job, no matter how much I disagreed with the shit Jon has been saying If I were H3H3 I wouldn't publicly rally against him after he did that for them.

Izuna

Banned
H3H3 must understand the only real outcome of this

Smart move.

I can atleast understand not wanting to air opinions on that when you're friends/acquaintances with the person and want to handle it in private.

Forgive me, but

how about condemning the shit he said?

Crazy from WSJ if they realy did this.. I predict a pewdiepie reaction video, and this thing will blow up big :)

In this specific instance, the Wall Street Journal did something very wrong. That does not absolve Pewds of his previous shittyness that the WSJ called him out on.

Nanashrew

Banned
It isn't. But if it's all relateble, it's already definitely affected a lot of them in numerous ways.

I just want my red hot nickel ball channel to remain for years and the guy to still get some decent money from it.

Nah. Too much happened before WSJ even picked it up. Google execs were called into the UK cabinet about extremist videos on their platform and that's what got the ball rolling with advertisers in the UK boycotting YouTube. Since then it's been spreading to other countries and now here in the US. It was first reported by The Times in the UK and showing advertisements on ISIS and KKK videos.

Shady journalists have always, always been a problem. A good outlet would give anyone who falsifies news the axe.

Of course, this also just lets these guys wave their hands around while proclaiming "see guys? It's not our shitty, harmful racist/sexist content and veiws that's the problem! It's the media! As such we should all double down on being scum for some reason!" Literally zero reflection on the shit that got the spotlight shined on them in the first place.

Smoke and mirrors bullshit. It almost feels like they should thank the wsj for helping them radicalize their viewers towards their terrible worldview.

Venfayth

Guilt by association is fallacious.

Ad hominem is fallacious.

In other words, even if a racist scumbag (so far I've seen no evidence that H3H3 is this, after a brief google search, but if someone can enlighten me please do so) who is wrong about everything else happens to be right about a news organization doing something shady, as long as the evidence can stand by itself it needs to be taken seriously.

wanders

This is the first I've heard of this and I've watched most of his videos.

I thought Ethan was a nice lovable dude

Mega

Banned

Still irrelevant and you both know it. It's the classic "isn't this the guy who..." annoying derail that completely sidesteps the thread topic.

But yeah, let's ignore actual proof that puts a spotlight on WSJ shenanigans because you're more concerned with character assassination and guilt by association nonsense.

Chumley

Banned
Shady journalists have always, always been a problem. A good outlet would give anyone who falsifies news the axe.

Of course, this also just lets these guys wave their hands around while proclaiming "see guys? It's not our shitty, harmful racist/sexist content and veiws that's the problem! It's the media! As such we should all double down on being scum for some reason!" Literally zero reflection on the shit that got the spotlight shined on them in the first place.

Smoke and mirrors bullshit. It almost feels like they should thank the wsj for helping them radicalize their viewers towards their terrible worldview.

EXACTLY this. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom