• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ethan of H3H3 retracts defamatory claims against WSJ writer (WSJ responds)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Kid

Didn't Jontron tweet that women aren't suppressed in the USA because they can walk in and out of a McDonalds before that?

Because if yes, I don't see how anyone can defend H3H3 then.

Jon was making fun of the Woman's March, saying it was sexist to support a single gender or some shit over anything else. He got tons of flack on it and proceeded to make more jokes about what a shitty opinion people were responding to.

If its option 1, that's obviously a bombshell. Sorry if our definitions of that word don't overlap.
Well, yes, then someone has some explaining (and maybe even firing) to do. But just based on this video, we can't say which it is yet.

Except it doesn't have to be 1 or 2 but apparently that's irrelevant since everyone has ignored that.
You're right, it's also possible an ad was shown, and not counted in the account of the uploader. Don't know if such an occurrence can happen on Youtube.

Pretty much only Google knows 100% sure what is going on and I doubt they will address this video specifically.

Arkeband

Banned
Makes a career out of calling people out from bullshit.

His best buddies, of course, are exempt, you're in the wrong if you think that's hypocrisy!!

/s

Ethan usually goes after weird channels sliding under the radar - JonTron's public meltdown was very obvious and well reported on, I don't really see what he could have constructively added to the discussion.

his entire thing is calling out bullshit/other youtubers but he completely ignores the rampant racism and misogyny committed by them? lol

sounds like sidestepping to me

You don't understand man he launched his career!!!!

Ethan usually goes after weird channels sliding under the radar - JonTron's public meltdown was very obvious and well reported on, I don't really see what he could have constructively added to the discussion.

He also does videos that don't slip under the radar.

So you would stand in silence if your friend who has a prominent platform was spewing racism?

I see.

If I had a friend who said the things JT said on his stream with Destiny I would speak to him in private and air my grievances to him directly.

I'm thinking of all the friends I've known for years and no I definitely would not publicly trash them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQ489KjPqlc

And he lost every single ounce of credibility as someone who's against racists when he clammed up about JonTron. I don't give a shit if they're friends. I'd straight up dissavow any friend I've ever had who started talking about the gene pool like that. It's an open and shut case, there's nothing complicated about it.

That video is a prequel to this thread, where he backs up the things said in it with more evidence. What a joke.

Seriously, you want to timestamp the moments in that video where his racism or alt-rightism rears its ugly head?

sjay1994

Scummy on the part of the author, hope they're disciplined.

Shame this will be used as fuel to justify the larger alt-right war on journalism by racist gamer shut-ins.

Considering the fact Ben Fritz an editor for WSJ and part of the PDP takedown whom made genuinely offensive tweets about Jews and Blacks still has his job, its unlikely WSJ will take any corrective action.

Chumley

Banned
Life isn't as black and white as you try and make it out to be. You don't know the relationship between Jontron and Ethan, so your comments come from a cozy privilege place where you deem yourself fit to pass judgement on people for 'sitting on the fence' as you so put it.

I'm privileged for taking a stand against racism and white supremacy? That's a new one. All these mental gymnastics must give you a headache.

If I had a friend who said the things JT said on his stream with Destiny I would speak to him in private and air my grievances to him directly.

I'm thinking of all the friends I've known for years and no I definitely would not publicly trash them.
yes, because a public statement saying "i don't agree with them and i think their views are wrong" = "trashing them".

note that when jontron first went on his antifeminist meltdown on twitter ethan jokingly tweeted at him.
I wouldn't publicly trash my friends and their dumb fucking opinions to appease some random on the Internet.
sorry but if my friend was spewing the kind of race purity shit jontron was spouting, not only would i disown their opinions publicly to make sure i wasn't attached to that shit, i would probably also no longer be their friend.

But you won't even make a public tweet saying that you are doing those actions? All his actions show is that racism is no okay unless it is a close friend, then don't even address it--that's your bro.

You can call everyone that does not matter to you out but you can't even tell your following that you acknowledge that what a friend has done was wrong.

Bit-Bit

This. We are adults. Act like it.

that was more or less his argument, yes

So H3H3 publicly ridiculed the notion that someone isn't a supporter of women if he denies women aren't equal to men in the USA in order to defend JonTron.

And he defended PDP, who stooped so low as to thank alt right youtubers like Sargon of Akkad, Kraut and Tea etc. under one of his videos because they agreed with him.

And now he's making allegations which are wonky at best, given what several posters pointed out the last few pages.

Why is anyone defending him again?

Village

Life isn't as black and white as you try and make it out to be. You don't know the relationship between Jontron and Ethan, so your comments come from a cozy privilege place where you deem yourself fit to pass judgement on people for 'sitting on the fence' as you so put it.

[removed nword] i'm black the fuck you mean i'm come a privilege that i come from any type of privilege for any regard. I am in the group of people he is talking shit about.

What in the actual fuck are you even talking about, hell yeah i'm gonna call you out for fencesitting about my state of person hood and my existence and life in the country I live in.

Fucking privilege, the fuck are you even talking about

When you are a public figure and do trash a ton of other people over similar issues, the issue is a bit different though, and a public response can be expected.

Yoda

The WSJ using possibly fake screenshots probably won't matter in the long run since YouTube is aware of the problem of ads being on videos containing hate speech and are trying to get it sorted out. But is using fake screenshots to get advertisers to pull ads from a site even considered legal? Not to mention this could get the editor in BIG trouble. I hear there's already a hashtag to get the guy fired for it.

Maybe.

Whether a journalist loses a job over this seemingly dubious story is the smaller issue. If it turns out the screenshots were fake and it was this article that induced an advertiser(s) to pull its marketing dollars from YouTube (Alphabet) it'll expose the WSJ (News Corporation) to a lawsuit.

Whether a journalist loses a job over this seemingly dubious story is the smaller issue. If it turns out the screenshots were fake and it was this article that induced an advertiser(s) to pull its marketing dollars from YouTube (Alphabet) it'll expose the WSJ (News Corporation) to lawsuit.

Ah. I see.

yes, because a public statement saying "i don't agree with them and i think their views are wrong" = "trashing them".

note that when jontron first went on his antifeminist meltdown on twitter ethan jokingly tweeted at him.

sorry but if my friend was spewing the kind of race purity shit jontron was spouting, not only would i disown their opinions publicly to make sure i wasn't attached to that shit, i would probably also no longer be their friend.

You have no idea what it's like to be in a position where a direct tweet attacking another Youtuber literally starts a shit storm on every drama channel that you have to deal with for months on end. There's a reason the overwhelming majority of channels just sort of whistle when this shit goes down. Their fucking livelihood is potentially at stake. They want to keep their audience together. They're entertainers. Someone doesn't become a piece of shit if they don't risk the strength of their platform to address every big youtuber who says shitty things.

I've already talked about a few videos that H3H3 has made AGAINST racism and sexcism earlier in this very thread. But please, keeping making strawman arguments.

Exactly. Some people, man. Ethan literally calls out extremes where he sees it. It's irrelevant that he attacks white supremacy and right-wing extremism just because he made videos (rightfully) calling out ludicrous arguments from some people on the left? Please.

Bit-Bit

exactly. who cares about racism and white supremacy when there are feminists complaining about air conditioning? #triggered
I've already talked about a few videos that H3H3 has made AGAINST racism and sexcism earlier in this very thread. But please, keeping making strawman arguments.

I'm privileged for taking a stand against racism and white supremacy? That's a new one. All these mental gymnastics must give you a headache.

If you read what I said, you would have seen that I said you're privileged to pass judgement on someone who has chosen not to say anything publicly. You demonize a person just because they don't tell everyone their opinions about their friend.

Don't misconstrue what I said, that's just pathetic.

You have no idea what it's like to be in a position where a direct tweet attacking another Youtuber literally starts a shit storm on every drama channel that you have to deal with for months on end. There's a reason the overwhelming majority of channels just sort of whistle when this shit goes down. Their fucking livelihood is potentially at stake. They want to keep their audience together. They're entertainers. Someone doesn't become a piece of shit if they don't risk the strength of their platform to address every big youtuber who says shitty things.
ethan had literally zero issues coming to the defence of pdp so i guess he didn't mind the controversy then?

But in this specific instance, H3H3 made a name for himself by doing exactly that: calling others out. So staying silent now has a bad look to it.

In addition to that, H3H3 isn't alt right

He's one of those so called "neutrals", like Boogie.

pTu1G19.gif

Brakke

Banned
H3H3's case is pretty weak here. Even if it's true that this writer doctored some pictures he put up on Twitter, that wouldn't undermine his core claim. He claimed that racist trash was getting ad revenue, and then here H3H3 has demonstrated that, indeed, racist trash got ad revenue.

The picture on twitter isn't the "proof", it's an illustration. If dude saw an ad play while he was reporting the story, saved the URL, but then came back to it later to find it has been demonitized, doing a little photoshop to reconstruct what he'd seen isn't unreasonable. That wouldn't be great, for sure. Could be misleading if dates and view counts don't line up to the thing he actually witnessed. But that's sloppiness more than deception, because the core claim holds up.

Except it doesn't have to be 1 or 2 but apparently that's irrelevant since everyone has ignored that.

Also this. H3H3's evidence is interesting but I don't think definitive?

So Ethan has made a career out of calling people out.

But calling a friend out for racism or even saying "I disagree with what he said and we are chatting about stuff IRL. I hope to change his mind. :)" isn't worth the drop of revenue?

I see.

We're on a VIDEO GAME forum. So your point is what exactly?

?

That this Ethan person is far (FAR) from being above publicly addressing such things. He'll make sarcastic remarks when Jon is getting shit on for sexism (hand-waving away the outrage), but when the real shit hits, he's a fucking ghost.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
You demonize a person just because they don't tell everyone their opinions about their friend.

We demonize Fox News for selectively reporting on the things that align with their political agenda and ignoring everything else that doesn't fit with their zeitgeist. Why are YouTubers like H3H3 et al, who makes their living solely off of airing their opinions publicly, exempt from this standard?

What are these YouTubers, really? They're entertainers and public figures. Do we give all entertainers and public a pass when they remain silent on directly relevant social issues, simply because of business and or personal ties?

I'm trying to remember if this was the case last year with #OscarsSoWhite. I seem to recall it wasn't! I recall vividly that lines in the sand were drawn and those who tried to sit on the fence were called out for their silence and apathy. This is the cost of being a public figure. If you want to make money on throwing out opinions, don't act shocked or appalled when your opinions, or lackthereof, come under scrutiny.

Boogie is worse, because boogie doesn't know when to shut up and has to have an opinion on everything, which outs him as a moron who doesn't know what he's talking about.

I agree that Ethan at least knows when to talk, like he didn't talk about JT at all, probably because he can't spin around a defense like he did with PDP.

Chumley

Banned
If you read what I said, you would have seen that I said you're privileged to pass judgement on someone who has chosen not to say anything publicly. You demonize a person just because they don't tell everyone their opinions about their friend.

Don't misconstrue what I said, that's just pathetic.

Saying something publicly is how Ethan makes his living. His entire channel's foundation is built on doing the exact opposite of what he's doing regarding JonTron. It's rank hypocrisy of the highest order. He doesn't give a shit about racism unless it's convenient for him to give a shit.

But in this specific instance, H3H3 made a name for himself by doing exactly that: calling others out. So staying silent now has a bad look to it.

You're right. It is his thing. But the guy has to pick his fights. He would lose the respect of a ton of his audience if he attacked JonTron. A ton of dumb people online think the JonTron situation and the pewdiepie situation are the same: a hacky hitpiece from mainstream media. I'm sure Ethan thinks the advocacy of an ethnostate is monstrous. I don't think he wants to touch that topic at all though.

I know I wouldn't.

Cipherr

Boogie is worse, because boogie doesn't know when to shut up and has to have an opinion on everything, which outs him as a moron who doesn't know what he's talking about.

I dont have a problem with people having an "opinion on everything" but holy fuck the way Boogie caped for Jontrons remarks for like 2 days before actually taking the time to LISTEN TO THE REMARKS JONTRON ACTUALLY SAID is fuck near unforgivable.

I cannot stand such an insistence on knee jerk defense when you have NO fucking idea whether or not you should be defending it or not. It really burns me up how this shit happens so often surrounding social issues.

ah, so he's a "neutral", like colin and boogie etc.
You're right. It is his thing. But the guy has to pick his fights. He would lose the respect of a ton of his audience if he attacked JonTron. A ton of dumb people online think the JonTron situation and the pewdiepie situation are the same: a hacky hitpiece from mainstream media. I'm sure Ethan thinks the advocacy of an ethnostate is monstrous. I don't think he wants to touch that topic at all though.

I know I wouldn't.
so we come to the crux of it - doing the right thing < youtube views.

oti

Banned
I enjoyed H3H3 before it became the very thing they always laughed about. This "proof" here is really weak and as others have pointed out this dude has no credibility left after failing to call out his white Supremacy friend. There's no excuse for that, end of story.

I'm just bewildered again at his fan base that is flocking this thread as if they were defending a friend. He's not your friend. So isn't PDP, Colin, JonTron or Boogie. When will their fans finally realize that.

I know I wouldn't.

Oh, so he has a free pass for hypocrisy. Nice.

So Ethan has made a career out of calling people out.

But calling a friend out for racism or even saying "I disagree with what he said and we are chatting about stuff IRL. I hope to change his mind. :)" isn't worth the drop of revenue?

I see.

Yeah, man. He obviously didn't want to touch the topic. It would be too divisive with his audience (sadly). He spoke to him in person. He isn't obligated to call out every racist, just because he runs a channel that calls out bullshit.

Like I said, In his boots, I wouldn't touch that shit ever. People like JonTron.

I know I wouldn't.

You can at least acknowledge Ethan is being a hypocrite for that.

necrosis

It was monetized for no more than 3 days before YouTube's system caught it.

He only made less than 8$ on it.

why does it matter how much money he made off of it if the WSJ article is condemning the fact that it, and other similar videos, have been monetized in general?

the screenshot of the video in question may have been doctored, but the video itself factually WAS monetized at one point

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom