• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Youtube Down

nani17

are in a big trouble
So youtube is apparently down across the globe I can't access the site at all.

I can't remember this happening before can you?

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Many Youtubers like Pewdiepie and Angry Joe they will commit suicide.

No more free money for them.

Time to get a real Job and Study for them.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Sorry Mark, youtube is gone, time to get a real Job or Keep your Studies like the others.

Markiplier: OMG!!!! :messenger_face_screaming::messenger_face_screaming::messenger_face_screaming::messenger_face_screaming: (Sound of breaks the window of his house)

RIP Markiplier :messenger_ghost:

Last edited:

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
I wonder what kind of user data we'll find out has fallen into the wrong hands after it goes back up. =p

Bwesh

Happy national cyber security awareness month Youtube lol.

I wonder who'll take responsibility.

hecatomb

Banned
Cause its a trash site maybe? Theres nothing but troll comments on every vid, the most ignorant people ever just post the stupidest things a human can say ever is all on youtube comments. Try being a complete jackass on TwitchTv and they just ban you. Thats why I wish a other video site would come out better then youtube, that way youtube could get shut down.

Last edited:

Skyr

Cause its a trash site maybe? Theres nothing but troll comments on every vid, the most ignorant people ever just post the stupidest things a human can say ever is all on youtube comments. Try being a complete jackass on TwitchTv and they just ban you. Thats why I wish a other video site would come out better then youtube, that way youtube could get shut down.

lol.. Because one visits it to read the comments right? You can always choose not to read them you know that right? And I prefer no censorship before anything else.
There is fantastic content on yt that I don't want to miss out on ever again. I agree that there should be a viable competitor tho as I don't like google to have the monopoly on this sector.
Unfortunately no one has stepped up yet with a better platform.

Corrik

Sucked because I have Youtube TV so my tv was down also. Might still be. i didn't check to see if it is back yet. Sure it has to be.

JimboJones

Well no, it's not a trash site. Trash comments maybe but sure a lot of the TV apps don't even give you the option to look at comments.
Twitch is a little to focused on livestream gaming for my tastes but hey different strokes for different folks.

hecatomb

Banned
Well no, it's not a trash site. Trash comments maybe but sure a lot of the TV apps don't even give you the option to look at comments.
Twitch is a little to focused on livestream gaming for my tastes but hey different strokes for different folks.
I mean if you never read the comments on youtube its ok, or never watch the top youtubers, who all act like 14 year old girls also, and over-react to everything like Mark, Pewdipie, or Maxmillion

Last edited:

JimboJones

Dont know who those are apart from pewdipie which I don't watch.

I've been recently watching Game Huts videos, guy who used to work at travellers tales talking about all the programming secrets behind the games.

Codies lab, SciShow,The action lab, applied science for my sciency news fix.

Always tune in when Tech moan puts up a video reviewing some obscure piece of equipment. 8 bit guy is also entertaining and does similar sorts of videos.

I think the most popular things I'd watch are good mythical morning LinusTechTips and the odd episode of game grumps.

Don't really get shows like these on TV anymore so I'm actually really glad YouTube exists

So plenty of things there that aren't pewdipie or some douchy millennial, just gotta go looking for it and remember to subscribe to things you do like so it filters out shit you don't like.

Last edited:

Fbh

LOL, an acquaintance started posting on facebook about how it's all a big conspiracy and someone uploaded videos of real reptilian aliens which is why the site was taken down for a few hours. And in the comments there was the alternative version that's pretty much the same except instead of reptilians it was famous people participating in human sacrifices

Well most people go to youtube for the videos, not the comments and the community which is indeed shit.
And sure a lot of videos are bad but there's also plenty of fun, entertaining and interesting content on there. The player also works fairly well in my experience, I've yet to visit a site that uses another player and doesn't make me wish they'd just use Youtube.

hivsteak

Thats my point, I wish there was a video site better then youtube.

Its hard to get into. You need a whole suite of functionality just to save your ass legally before you can even start hosting any videos and some way to cover costs. Content creaters are begging for another video platform they can flock to. Patreon should get into it.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Developing a replacement for YouTube would be a monumental task. A true contender would have to do everything YouTube does but better, as well as figure out what YouTube does badly and improve it. Then there's the matter of bandwidth. Running servers for all that video is crazy expensive. YouTube has only been able to do it for as long as they have because of all the money Google gives them. Even setting up simple discoverability would be difficult. Try using the search function on any other video platform and see how bad the results are. Absolutely terrible.

Even then, good luck convincing enough people to switch platforms for it to become a contender to YouTube. Herding that many cattle will be tough and few companies are likely to be able to be able to pull that off. If anyone were able to do that, my bet would be on Amazon. They've already done it with live streaming via Twitch, and now they're trying to eat Netflix's lunch. They have the money and resources to make a VoD platform that could easily compete with YouTube but it doesn't seem like that is something they're interested in doing at the moment. This makes me wonder why if they know something we don't?

hecatomb

Banned
If a site was better then youtube, I'm sure more people would use it. Like I'm sure theres people who thought TwitchTv would never work, but it does.

womfalcs3

Banned
LOL, an acquaintance started posting on facebook about how it's all a big conspiracy and someone uploaded videos of real reptilian aliens which is why the site was taken down for a few hours. And in the comments there was the alternative version that's pretty much the same except instead of reptilians it was famous people participating in human sacrifices

Well most people go to youtube for the videos, not the comments and the community which is indeed shit.
And sure a lot of videos are bad but there's also plenty of fun, entertaining and interesting content on there. The player also works fairly well in my experience, I've yet to visit a site that uses another player and doesn't make me wish they'd just use Youtube.

And you have all the news (CNN, Fox News, BBC, Aljazeera, Alarabiya, MSNBC, etc.), documentaries (Vice, VOX), all the music, some full shows (Like the PBS shows Space Time, Infinity), and clips of stand-up comedy shows, clips of TV shows (like SNL, Family Feud, The Daily Show, HSN, QVC, late night talk shows, etc.), all the obscure debates/lectures you can watch (physical sciences, the existence of God, etc.), and gaming reviews (IGN, GameSpot, etc.), all in one place. And manageable ads that you can skip in 5 seconds.

I'm a huge fan of YouTube. The mobile app does a good job at distancing the viewer from the comments section. I didn't realize it still existed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom