• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Youtube has started to artificially slow down video load times if you use Firefox. Spoofing Chrome magically makes this problem go away.

MMaRsu

Banned
Im not getting that on Firefox, Adblock Plus.

Maybe 1 out of 50 times, it will do that, but I feel its just an ad getting in the way and APB scrambling to destroy it before I see it.

winjer

Gold Member
Alphabet needs to get one of those big antitrust lawsuits, to take it a notch down.
The amount of anti-consumer and anti-competition tactics they are using in recent times, is staggering.
I remember when MS was sued for having IE in Windows, but now Google is doing much worse and nothing happens.

Portugeezer

Doesn't surprise me.

The same owners of android that locks a basic Android feature, such as picture in picture, behind YouTube premium paywall.

tylrdiablos

There's literally some javascript code in the YouTube webpage that adds an artificial 5 second delay.
If you have UBlock Origin added to your Firefox, click the UBlock Origin icon, then open the Dashboard, open My Filters and paste this line in:

www.youtube.com##+js(nano-stb, resolve(1), *, 0.001)

Click Apply Changes.

Kadve

You don't even have to spoof it. A simple U-block filter will also do the trick.

Not only did they do it but they apparently did it in the most lazy way possible.

(edit) also not he first time.

Last edited:

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
Opera still fighting the good fight.

cEY12oT.gif

Mr Moose

Doesn't happen to me, thankfully. Then again I never got the disable adblocker thing when others did (I use uBlock Origin).

diffusionx

Gold Member
Alphabet needs to get one of those big antitrust lawsuits, to take it a notch down.
The amount of anti-consumer and anti-competition tactics they are using in recent times, is staggering.
I remember when MS was sued for having IE in Windows, but now Google is doing much worse and nothing happens.
there is one, going on right now as we speak

it's not being talked about as much because the media is slavish to big tech and relies on it for its existence

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

I definitely noticed this recently, but couldn't confirm it as I don't use any other browsers than Firefox. At least good to know the issue isn't with my ISP.

jm89

Nothing new.

I've had random problems with YouTube on Firefox for years.

Same with Google maps, runs like shit.

mitchman

Gold Member
MS was sued for forcing OEM PC manufacturers to not bundle Netscape. If they bundled Netscape, they would not get the license for Windows. Pretty bad stuff. IE itself was never a problem if not used for anti-competitive reasons, but they were also forced to open up the playing field for competition middleware, and not use private APIs etc. not available for competitors.

winjer

Gold Member
MS was sued for forcing OEM PC manufacturers to not bundle Netscape. If they bundled Netscape, they would not get the license for Windows. Pretty bad stuff. IE itself was never a problem if not used for anti-competitive reasons, but they were also forced to open up the playing field for competition middleware, and not use private APIs etc. not available for competitors.

In the EU, they were sued for having IE bundled with Windows.
That's why, to this day, there is the Windows N. For example, Windows 11 Pro N.

SkylineRKR

I use uBlock on firefox and it blocks everything on YT too but they do send warnings now and then, Firefox is indeed slow with YT lately.

Was wondering why stuff was taking longer to load in, Only recently switched to FireFox recently due to all this Ad blocking BS they were fucking around with.

phant0m

i don't see this at all but i also pay for YT Premium. And i block Google DNS + use pihole (not sure if it's relevant or not)

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Let’s be fair, nothing is being done about modern MS or Apple either 😂. That is the problem.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
I thought I was going crazy.

I'm also convinced that ad time 1 sec = 1.1 actual seconds on every browser.
I'm using Premium since ever, so I don't remember exactly, but I really suspect that the ads were getting slower to open, basically getting a 5 seconds ad to take 10 seconds

YouTube is getting bad by the byte

poodaddy

Nope. But you have to prove it being a deliberate act by Alphabet first.
This.

With the proper legal defense, almost anything can be waived off as a mistake or a "misunderstood directive", a term that was used fairly liberally when I was in the Army.

What Google did here is text book anti competitive, open shut stuff, but proving it was deliberate is nigh on impossible.

Fbh

For some reason Youtube has always worked like crap for me on Firefox.
As soon as you set it to like 1080p it struggles to run smoothly while it works perfectly fine on Chrome (and other chromium based browsers)

hinch7

There's literally some javascript code in the YouTube webpage that adds an artificial 5 second delay.
If you have UBlock Origin added to your Firefox, click the UBlock Origin icon, then open the Dashboard, open My Filters and paste this line in:

www.youtube.com##+js(nano-stb, resolve(1), *, 0.001)

Click Apply Changes.
Gamechanger. Thought it was strange opening up new windows and it taking ages to load.

Thanks and fuck Google for this.

Last edited:

Pelta88

I noticed this but I'm more annoyed by them trying to circumvent my add blocker on Firefox. Youtube be like...

"You have 3 free views remaining."

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Top Bottom