• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Youtube is unwatchable (if you're not on PC)

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Welcome to modern day technology things are fighting for your wallet at this point. The good news is AI has gotten real, you see more statical numbers, but the ads are a major set back.

Trilobit

Just got a mail from Youtube that stated that the Premium Lite is no more. I have Lite until october 24 and then it's the full price of Premium if you don't want ads. Which sucks big time. I'm not interested in any other functions...

I too got one. I'm quite bummed as youtube is unwatchable with ads and the cost of Premium is not something I can motivate. Premium Lite was the perfect choice for me as I could watch directly on my smart TV.

Now I'm going to watch exclusively on my PC with adblock.

Guess that means I can put my money on Spotify Premium again.

Last edited:

Unknown?

I too got one. I'm quite bummed as youtube is unwatchable with ads and the cost of Premium is not something I can motivate. Premium Lite was the perfect choice for me as I could watch directly on my smart TV.

Now I'm going to watch exclusively on my PC with adblock.

Guess that means I can put my money on Spotify Premium again.
Use the FreeTube app if you're just watching and don't need to comment.

LordOfChaos

Yeah it's getting really shitty without adblock and sponsorblock. I can use those on Safari on iOS, but the experience is quite poor compared to the app. And on a Roku TV there's little choice. Really funneling us towards that payment.

thegame983

As of today (in Ireland anyway) youtube videos are blocked if you have an adblocker installed.

Sad face.

edit: I just switched from adblock plus to uBlock origin and it works, for now.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
This is the model, give people what they want, then when you've definitely got no competitors - make everything suck unless you pay up.

People are going to be in for some fun once Amazon decide to turn the screws.

Unknown?

This is the model, give people what they want, then when you've definitely got no competitors - make everything suck unless you pay up.

People are going to be in for some fun once Amazon decide to turn the screws.
There are good alternatives though. LBRY/Odysee and Rumble are just fine.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
There are good alternatives though. LBRY/Odysee and Rumble are just fine.

Schitts Creek Do Not Want GIF by CBC

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Twitch Turbo and YTPremium are the only subs I use personally.

I do have subs to a ton of other garbage for my mom, nieces, etc.

The only sub I cancelled was Netflix when they locked down account sharing. I was a premium/highest tier customer for 17 years, they can die in a fire. I took the 45 minutes required to teach my mom how to use plex so at least she doesn't miss any of the content from netflix.

Sybrix

Historically I've watched youtube on my PC with adblocker and was happy as Larry. But I've found in my older, more rotund age I like to relax in the hay and watch stuff now before bed on my console box.. but OH MY FUCK the adverts are ridiculous. Constant and unskippable 20 second adverts, usually 2 in a row even in videos only a couple of minutes long. So many videos I start and barely a minute in I'm treated with another 1-2 punch of 20 second adverts of some black chick dancing around with a can of pepsi or some other retarded chode my brain rejects.

Now I'm new to the youtube app life but I can only assume this gonad kicking experience is to force you into buying premium to get a decent viewing experience. If it was a couple of squid I could probably see the appeal and even Baa along like the rest of the turds....

But £13? a fucking month?

That's Sony tier level of taking the piss.

So my question is, when did youtube get this unwatchable?

You're ad blocker still working?

I'm starting to get this: https://www.forbes.com/sites/petersuciu/2023/10/17/youtubes-anti-adblock-feature-frustrates-users/

Last edited:

GymWolf

Can someone explain to me what the fuck is going on with censorship in this cesspool of a site?

Why do some channel can show blood, violence or talk about violence or any hot argument and some others must be super tame to not be demonitized? Are there differrent set of rules for different type of channels?

It's so fucking annoying how people get demonitized for every small insignificant shit.

Draugoth

Gold Member
There's a tampermonkey script which you can download that removes the adblock filter.

Last edited:
Top Bottom