• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Youtube is unwatchable (if you're not on PC)

StueyDuck

I wouldn't mind the ads if they didn't fuck up the playback so often.

It's definitely not well implemented at all on smart tvs or anything like that.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I have premium and I consider it my most valuable subscription, based on how much time I put into it, worth it for listening in screen off mode alone.
Same. Screen off feature and zero ads is totally worth it. And tbh, it's the only streaming subscription I pay directly for (Disney+ comes with my cell plan and I use my parent's HBO login), and I'm fine with that because it's supporting small time content creators I like.

I love having shit like this on in the background while I'm working and if it were constantly interrupted with ads it would be super annoying:

Drew1440

What gets me is how repetitive the ads are, always the same brands being promoted (Tiktok, Amazon, Temu). Main reason why I avoid I using it on my Consoles / Android TV.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I sometimes forget that Youtube has ads. I run an instance of Invidious locally on my own server. On my own local DNS, I just overwrite the youtube.com domain and point it there. Now, every device I have that connects to Youtube will just use this to play videos. It's got automatic ad skipping and sponsorblock. It passes "the wife test", because most of the time she also doesn't realize she's not watching Youtube directly.

Mr Hyde

I pay Premium but it's mostly for the music app, since I think it gives more value than Spotify and has more music that I'm interested in, plus support for the artists that I like. So I consider the ad free YouTube a bonus. But I agree on the intrusiveness of the ads, it's absolutely disgusting how they gimped the service and made it practically unwatchable, forcing you into paying. I would never pay for it just to watch YouTube.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Been having premium since YouTube was called YouTube Red. 100% worth it. YouTube music is just a bonus too, totally worth the sub. Zero ads, massive convenience.

I watch everything on YouTube.

Last edited:

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I watch everything on YouTube

Same here. PS5 on 24/7.

When I visit my dad or friend I'm always shocked regarding the amount and frequency of ads. I have a deep negative connection with ads and cable in general because reasons.

Those 12 buck are more than worth it imo.

Have HBO and Prime but hardly use them. Good things they're almost free.

No thanks. The price is fucking extortionate
If it helps, you get a youtube music subscription for free when doing this. So if you are currently paying for Spotify, Youtube Premium would technically be the better deal.

Otherwise you're right.

IbUBwRB.png

Slow Motion Yes GIF by MOODMAN

Spyxos

Gold Member
Youtube is not loading for me anymore when i use uBlock Origin. Every other site works. Looks like the ad blockers will be disabled soon.

Edit: uBlock working againg with youtube.

Last edited:

Lambogenie

Shit on tik tok all you want. But it’s a much better experience for pretty much anything nowadays. I get all my sports highlights from there instead of watching 5 min of adds.
This is likely to change in the same way. You're already seeing ads, it's only going to increase from here. Rinse and repeat.

20cent

Banned
Adblockers, (re)vanced on devices and NewPipe / SmartTube on TV for years, no regrets.

Most things I watch on youtube are not "monetized", have Patreons or only use yt as side thing, I don't see the point of paying in every angle I'm trying to look at it.

Scotty W

Gold Member
I Japan I used to get a lot of ads on my iphone, but a year or two ago, they just stopped. Completely ad free, and I don’t know why.

I watch a lot of youtube on my TV. If I was an advertiser I wouldn't want my product on YouTube. The rage I feel when the commercials come on within fifteen seconds of finishing the intro commercials is unreal.

Even my own videos I make are monetized against me because I use licensed music!

Youtube premium is horribly expensive, but I think about buying it pretty regularly.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Watch it on my OLED and it's a right pain in the hole, thankfully you can click to skip most ads after 5sec but the longer ones you have to go through multiple clicks to basically tell YouTube to fuck off and get back to the video, but the amount of ads is moronic, I Kodi all my TV shows so I don't get ads but I've holidayed state side and the sheer amount of ads in your shows beggars belief, it makes them practically unwatchable in my book as for paying a subscription to YouTube, aye if you where priced appropriately.. ÂŁ16/mth!? Fuck away into the sea ya cunt

phant0m

I just pay for it. Considering how many hours I watch YT on mobile devices, I don't find it that egregious. Of all the subscriptions I pay for, YT is the one I spend the most hours on.

Also, I own Google stocks. So I don't necessarily feel that bad about it.
Yup. I would cancel every other streaming service I have before YT.

NahaNago

I have premium and I consider it my most valuable subscription, based on how much time I put into it, worth it for listening in screen off mode alone.
I'm pretty much the same way. I listen to way too much youtube in screen off mode and I also use the google music app and quit using spotify. Spotify is still better but I'm okay with the music on google music.

simpatico

It only costs a few dollars to remove all ads. Hell you could probably have earned enough money in for a month in the time it took to make this thread.

Facism

Brave browser is a godsend on phone. No ads, background playback. Helps me kill the time doing cardio at the gym when I can watch a few live shows without YouTube stuffing in 20 second ads for bacterial vaginosis awareness every 2 minutes

YouTube Premium family plan for the win. Actually no YT ads are a bonus for YT Music, which is awesome now. All in all, a better deal than Spotify, Apply Music etc., in my opinion

Last edited:

simpatico

Principal my friend
I get it. But I watch YouTube a lot. It's pretty much the only thing I watch. Mostly non gaming hobby stuff. Fiction shows and movies just don't interest me anymore. Being spread between mobile, office PC and smart TV usage, the subscription was really the only option. It works out because I get the family pass so my three teenage kids all get a streaming music service out of the deal too.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I got spoiled by my previous experience with YT, because for a while there were no ads. And then the ads came in, but it was soft. Now it's getting worse, which sucks.

That said, for many years all we had was television. And the commercial breaks were about five minutes. We're not there yet in terms of Youtube. The ads are still relatively short in comparison.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I got spoiled by my previous experience with YT, because for a while there were no ads. And then the ads came in, but it was soft. Now it's getting worse, which sucks.

That said, for many years all we had was television. And the commercial breaks were about five minutes. We're not there yet in terms of Youtube. The ads are still relatively short in comparison.

i've seen it play 12 minute ads

Senua

Ya it’s expected. That adds are just so simple to skip. At the moment at least
Yep!

Get people hooked on your service, start introducing ads and slowly raise the level of occurrence. In the end make the ads so frequent that users are forced to buy TikTok premium, guess what? NO ADS!

It's like it was originally but you pay $150 a year instead!

Fuck right off

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
I mainly only watch Youtube so I bought the premium. I ditched the TV licence years ago. The missus cancelled Netflix the other day as it's mainly tripe and the only other thing I have is Prime

Oh, she got three months of Nowtv for a quid or something, so we've been watching Succession

Thats about it.

JCK75

I pay for premium for my son to be able to download videos on the go, and my ex still uses mine for her massage shop (have a line of google home mini speakers mounted to the wall and she just casts the music play list to the speaker group).

but man it's price is insane.. but that said I watch nothing but youtube and shit does look pristine on my tv .

Monokrom

Just got a mail from Youtube that stated that the Premium Lite is no more. I have Lite until october 24 and then it's the full price of Premium if you don't want ads. Which sucks big time. I'm not interested in any other functions...

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
they did it! now its unwatchable on pc too
Google is cracking down on ad block extensions. If you use Chrome browser, you most certainly want to change. Two of the blockers I had suddenly had 'malware detected' which were otherwise stable the past 3-years. I've moved on from YouTube...

Roxkis_ii

I haven't seen this posted, but has OP tried an ad blocking dns?

Just swap the dns to dns.adguard-dns.com and it takes care of a lot of ads. Seems to work for YouTube if I open it in a private tab
(I have YouTube premium).

winjer

Gold Member
I haven't seen this posted, but has OP tried an ad blocking dns?

Just swap the dns to dns.adguard-dns.com and it takes care of a lot of ads. Seems to work for YouTube if I open it in a private tab
(I have YouTube premium).

Ad Guard DNS doesn't block YouTube ads on the app.

Top Bottom