• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys IX: Monstrum Nox PS4 Gameplay Videos

Bullet Club

Recorded at Dengeki PlayStation Game Fes 2019.

Ys IX: Monstrum Nox Reveals First PS4 Gameplay Showing Fast Traversal, Gliding, and More

Today, during a stage event at the Dengeki PlayStation Game Fes 2019 in Tokyo, Nihon Falcom showcased its upcoming JRPG Ys IX: Monstrum Nox.

First of all, we get to take a look at a few screenshots showcasing the setting of the game which is Bardeuk, nicknamed “Prison City.” It occupies between 40 and 50% of the map.

We also see the ability to use the monsters’ supernatural powers anywhere, including towns, fields, and dungeons. It won’t be just useful in battle, but also during exploration and traversal.

Battles are quick and fluid, with giant bosses that can be fought while freely dashing and jumping. In Bardeuk we can enjoy new elements like guild management, but players can also leave the city and explore.

You can see the images in the gallery at the bottom of the post.

We then get to finally see the very first look at gameplay, in which a character is shown as she traverses the massive city. The second video showcases the ability to glide via a monster’s ability, while the third video provides a glimpse at the exploration of a forest environment (including a brief look at an enemy and a small glimpse of combat) and the retrieval of a treasure chest.

During the livestream, Nihon Falcom President Toshihiro Kondo revealed that traditional protagonist Adol is 24 in the game, but his appearance will be quite different from previous games. He lives in Bardeuk, which isn’t just a quest hub, but it’s also a location for actual adventure gameplay.

The city is fully explorable even thanks to the traversal abilities of the monsters. If you see a location, you can go there, and you can find many hidden areas by wall-running and gliding around.

Characters still act in a party, and their monster abilities are shared during exploration, removing the need to switch between them. Yet, you will have to during battles.

Incidentally, Kondo-san mentioned that he’d like to remake the first two Ys games in 3D at some point, alongside V and VI, and generally port those games of the series that can’t currently be played on PS4 like Nihon Falcom is doing with Ys: Memories of Celceta (which will be released for PS4 on May 16 in Japan). The studio is also experimenting with VR. Of course, he did not make any promises.

The target for the Japanese release on PS4 of Ys IX: Monstrum Nox was confirmed to be in the fall of 2019.

Source: Twinfinite

KINDERFELD

Banned
I'm yet to play the last one out on the PS4.
Expecting $60 for PS2 graphics was asking a bit too much.
Maybe its reasonably priced now.

Thats the thing - it is still expensive as hell.

I personally don't mind spending $60 for PS2 graphics to support devs like this, but the fact it is $60++ on ebay is nuts - especially since the devs wont even see any of my money if I go that route.

I think I am just going to bite the bullet and buy it digital next sale. I keep waiting and hoping there will be some sort of reprint of the disc, but I just don't think that is likely at this point. I'm kicking myself I didn't grab it for $30 last October on PSN.

GrayFoxRJ

Banned
If you end up beating the game down the road, you'll realize that it was worth 60 dollars.

The game is a fucking classic, prioritizing gameplay over any current bullshit GaaS, and it's exploration factor is fun as hell.

It reminded me of those SNES games that we squeezed to the last bits due to having immense content, right durability , and great replayability. Something we don't see anymore.

I'd pay 60 dollars any day for any shit Nihonfalcom Falcon throws at me than Battlefield or any other shit AAA.

Last edited:
I'm not expecting to be impressed by the game's visuals, but what's on display in the above videos is fine. I'll just be happy if the move to better hardware brings a more seamless world to explore, instead of a map divided by tons of loading zones.

DR2K

Banned
Looks like the city in Sonic 2006 lol. Looks like it runs just as bad too.

Yeah, but that won’t be an end result. They’re literally just showing what the game will be conceptually and the direction the series is heading in.

Is the last Video with Adol? The Hair makes me think that is him but we never see his face.

Ys 8 is great as well! Graphics should never be a factor when paying for a quality game unless we are talking about Atari 2600 graphics. The gameplay is definitely worth the money as well as the stories in the game! (I am paying £33.50 for Dragon: Marked for Death for example)

Last edited:
Liking the mobility, graphics also seems fine although you don't play Ys games for those. Gameplay is where its at and that seems solid so far.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Looks pretty great. The gameplay from 8 was alright but all the characters seemed to be a bit the same. This looks pretty fresh, can't wait.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
How is Ys 8 on the Switch? Is it a decent port?

That's how I played it. It's decent, but it's an uprezzed port of the Vita version - not as pretty as the PS4 release. Either way, it's a great game and having it portable (on a larger screen than the Vita) was the reason I chose to get it on the Switch.

There are several more short videos and information on the Japanese limited edition of Ys IX over at the following Gematsu article: Link.

Visually, the game is looking like a spiffier version of its immediate predecessor on PS4, mixed with occasional higher-quality assets. I was expecting something along these lines and would be fine with this manner of presentation, as long as the game is absent the compartmentalized zones and requisite loading of Ys VIII.

That said, with Western releases of Falcom titles usually handled as a secondary concern, along with the company's tie-up with NIS, my enthusiasm for new Falcom games remains dampened.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
Damn good memories of playing Y's and Cosmic Fantasy on my Turbografx 16 back in the days. I haven't checked out a Y's in years but will definitely check this out.

jshackles

is Adol in it ?

Yes but he's not featured much in the new trailer.

BissSAs.png

Barnabot

More characters details.

From Gematsu:

BulT5X4.jpg

A Monstrum who specializes in pure “power,” and wields a large war hammer that she swings with vigor in battle.

Unlike the criminals White Cat and Hawk, she follows the law and has good sense, acting as a mediator whenever there is a fight among Monstrum.

There are rumors that she has relatives living in the Prison City, but the truth is uncertain.

4BhILkS.jpg

A beautiful, doll-like Monstrum created by a leading craftsman. She has the supernatural ability to see “invisible” objects that humans are unable to.

Her birthplace is a complete mystery. She is the most mysterious among the Monstrum in Baldeux, and moves around in battle with unique movements seemingly impossible for a human to achieve.

For some reason, she wants to get in touch with the adventurer Adol…

And we have a trap here:
4Vl4iNP.jpg

A Monstrum named “Renegade” due to his strange, worn-out vestments. Due to his strong pessimism and few opportunities to appear in public, only a few people have actually managed to actually see him.

It seems that he has some sort of information about the Gllia region and Prison City…

Last edited:

Barnabot

Adol gameplay here:

I don't think this game is gonna be team party based like Ys7 and Lacrimosa of Dana. I'd be happy if I'm wrong.

Wonko_C

Adol gameplay here:

I don't think this game is gonna be team party based like Ys7 and Lacrimosa of Dana. I'd be happy if I'm wrong.

Seems like the party members act more independently from the player instead of standing behind the player character this time around. I would go insane if that meant online co-op.

Top Bottom