• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana - Review Thread

The only Ys I've ever played was Origins, so this is quite different. But I tried the demo and I really enjoyed it. The combat is just alot of fun, changing characters based on the enemies weakness, dodging and blocking at exactly the right time to get a flash guard, using skills. I'm definitely going to try this one out :D

Tyaren

I played the demo and it was actually fun. The presentation is just really lacking. It still shows this was a Vita game...
Speaking of the presentation: I have heard this game runs in higher resolution on Pro? Then it seems once again not to downsample on 1080p TVs, because what I played (in the demo at least) was clearly just 1080p. So has the Pro version on 1080p TVs zero enhancements?

Cheeky of NISA to get reviews for this out the same day Ys Seven PC launches. I'll admit, they know how to best their competition in marketing. VIII has enough obvious advantages over Seven that it's going to do way better no matter what, but I'd like for more players to try the older game since it's still worthwhile.

I don't see any reason outside of bad optimization, that the PC version should be bad.
Hopefully we get a good or great PC version, though it'll definitely have launch issues which have to get ironed out. Only scary thing so far is how close the beta testing session is vs. launch, but maybe NISA's been doing private betas already?

Seems like others are noticing the mediocre localization work by NISA on this title. It's not like VIII has a super great story, but English players deserve a better representation of it after the renditions we've gotten from fans and then XSEED.

invisibleB

Neo Member
OK all embargo's are up im about to start playing it on PS4 Pro, tell me what you want me to test or checkout and ill get to it and fill you all in.

Tyaren

OK all embargo is up im about to start playing it on PS4 Pro, tell me what you want me to test or checkout and ill get to it and fill you all in.

I'd really like to know if there are any enhancements on HD TVs. Apparently the game runs at a higher resolution on 4K TVs.

Hugstable

Banned
Wooo good reviews! Can't wait to pick it up for my PS4! Really enjoyed YS Celceta on Vita, even though I enjoy the YS gameplay from Oath and Origin best, I really enjoy what they've been doing with the new party based combat.

Edit: actually just saw it's gonna be on PC as well? Sweet probably gonna end up getting it there

AniHawk

Cheeky of NISA to get reviews for this out the same day Ys Seven PC launches.

it was more of a coincidence than anything, i'd bet. xseed had announced the release date just three weeks ago and nisa would have been planning on the embargo date lifting ahead of that. if anything, the overall ys exposure in reviews for both seven and viii should benefit both titles.

preta

Seems like others are noticing the mediocre localization work by NISA on this title. It's not like VIII has a super great story,

It really does, though... It's a real shame that it seems people won't realize it as much from the localization. I thought those criticisms of a weak story and cast were strange; almost everyone else I know agrees that they're some of the best in the series.

I'd really like to know if there are any enhancements on HD TVs. Apparently the game runs at a higher resolution on 4K TVs.

It's 4k60 on Pro.

invisibleB

Neo Member

Cool ill dig around in menu's for you :) on 1080p capture setup though so not sure if it will give me 4k options! lets see if its like tomb raider and gives me performance options!

invisibleB

Neo Member
It really does, though... It's a real shame that it seems people won't realize it as much from the localization. I thought those criticisms of a weak story and cast were strange; almost everyone else I know agrees that they're some of the best in the series.

It's 4k60 on Pro.

and that answers that :)

I also have a review copy if you guys have any questions. I'm several bosses in and have four playable characters.

The remnants of the Vita version hurt the game a bit; lots of invisible walls and loading zones. The heavy focus on narrative may be a turnoff for some people, especially compared to the last few games. The combat is great, though. The heavy narrative will probably win over more people than it won't, but it does feel like the pacing isn't good sometimes. Thankfully everything is skippable if it becomes too much.

How many times can one teenager save the world??

... 3 times?

OGcUrdu.jpg

Downloaded the demo, going to give it a try. Reviews are certainly looking good and already locked in at $43 for it on Amazon, September is going to be a busy month.

Tyaren

are you talk about the jagged edges on the ship deck!? still seeing them! want pics?

So you play on an HDTV? If the game would downsample/supersample from native 4k on HDTVs there would be virtually no aliasing/jagged edges. No downsampling then.

Yeah, pics wouldn't hurt. :)

invisibleB

Neo Member
Thanks. :)

No, it doesn't really. XD I asked specifically what the Pro enhancements on HD TVs are. At least the demo did not downsample.

Sorry my bad thought you just wanted to know about 4k. Looking through options and not seeing any extra for pro

Steiner

Banned
WTF dude I need at least some of the games coming out right now to be bad. I don'to have time for all of this... I guess I'll pick this up too. =[

How many times can one teenager save the world??
How many times a teenager can save the world before he grows out of his 20s? Probably never seeing how you'd be hard pressed to look for a jrpg protagonist that's over 25, and they'll make a point of sayin he's a rugged veteran by that age, but most are below 20 anyways.

Does GAF think that's Ys VIII is the better game compared to Celceta or is it the opposite?

forms

Is it a remake? Tested the demo on a ps4, and I felt that the graphics were pretty rough.

I did want to play more, however.

everyer

So you play on an HDTV? If the game would downsample/supersample from native 4k on HDTVs there would be virtually no aliasing/jagged edges. No downsampling then.

Yeah, pics wouldn't hurt. :)

no
it looks perfect on 4k tv,menu and graphic is sharp.
much better than BOTW on 4k tv

Blue-kun

How many times a teenager can save the world before he grows out of being a teenager? Probably never seeing how you'd be hard pressed to look for a jrpg protagonist that's over 25, and they'll make a point of sayin he's a rugged veteran by that age, but most are below 20 anyways.

Does GAF think that's Ys VIII is the better game compared to Celceta or is it the opposite?

I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone who finds Celceta better than VIII. VIII just does everything Celceta tried to do, but better. It packs a better story, better characters, combat has been further polished, graphically it also blows Celceta out of the water and so on.

Honestly, I'm a pretty big fanboy of the Ys series, but Celceta was on all aspects something of a low point for it. I don't think the game is bad, mind you, still enjoyed it a whole lot, but it didn't feel like there was that passion behind it as you can clearly see in VIII and Seven. Felt like Falcom just made the game 'cause they needed something to fill in the release gap and Ys IV remake was something that was in queue for a while.

So, yeah, I'd say VIII is leaps above Celceta, and also better than Seven.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Is it a remake? Tested the demo on a ps4, and I felt that the graphics were pretty rough.

No, it was a PS Vita exclusive last year in Japan, that was ported to PS4 a few months ago. Now both versions arrive stateside simultaneously.

How many times a teenager can save the world before he grows out of his 20s? Probably never seeing how you'd be hard pressed to look for a jrpg protagonist that's over 25, and they'll make a point of sayin he's a rugged veteran by that age, but most are below 20 anyways.

The consensus I've seen from import threads is that this is the best of the Ys7-MoC-Ys8 style games.

invisibleB

Neo Member
Thanks! Yeah, if it was downsampling you wouldn't see the jagged edges etc.

:(

Sorry taken ages trying to work round gaf think because junior member. iv added a link for 5 pics above so you can see options menu and a few of the things you were wondering!

everyer

demo is worse. but full game has a lot of fum.
you will forget the graphic.

I finished this because battle is excellent, while I didn't finish P5. P5's battle is something I really want to skip

killroy87

Interesting that half the reviews feel the story is the weakest part, and half think that the improved story is one of the highlights.

Do you need to have played any of the other Y's games to know what's going on?
Plots are self-contained with references to other games in the timeline. All games except Origin are based on Adol Christin's travel journals, sometimes with recurring characters who play passive or active roles in the current plot per game. You can play other entries later but it's not critical for VIII whatsoever.

it was more of a coincidence than anything, i'd bet. xseed had announced the release date just three weeks ago and nisa would have been planning on the embargo date lifting ahead of that. if anything, the overall ys exposure in reviews for both seven and viii should benefit both titles.
Overall it should help both games, but I'm also not expecting Seven to do too great in the first place. Tom @ XSEED's hinted that it's really a pet project for the company since their next original localizations are due next year or later, so they got in touch with another Japanese port team in order to build a relationship and get some revenue/following for the game on PC.

Seven will still do better than Xanadu Next, of course...nope, I'm not bitter, not at all!

Interesting that half the reviews feel the story is the weakest part, and half think that the improved story is one of the highlights.
Localization can hamper one's enjoyment of plot, dialogue, and general tone. This just won't reach the quality standard XSEED's set for the series with localizations of Celceta and Ark of Napishtim, and I can live with that.

Top Bottom