• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana Steam release delayed again

Dunki

To all of you who have been anxiously awaiting the PC release of Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA, we have a very regrettable announcement: we are once again pushing the release to an as-of-yet indeterminate date. We sincerely apologize for this delay, and we would like to explain in detail the reason why we are proceeding with the delay. This decision was not made lightly, and we understand that many of you will be upset about this news. For that, and most importantly, for the delay, we are very sorry.

Please note, however, that this announcement does not affect the relocalization update patch planned for January 30th for the PlayStation®4 and PlayStation Vita versions of the game.

Low framerate issues and memory leak problems were apparent from the earliest PC builds we received. To help combat these, we looked into the drawing processes, which lead to an overall improvement in performance. However, we are still encountering framerate drops in specific circumstances. The systems regulating these framerate issues are heavily reliant on the architecture of the original PlayStation 4 version and, as such, are not existent in PC architecture. The memory leak issues are somewhat less complicated and expected to be resolved this weekend. But in order to solve these issues, we have determined that we must modify the core level of data in the game.

As the PC version of the game was originally envisioned as a port, we avoided touching the core programming as much as possible and focused on PC performance optimization. However, in light of the feedback of those who have participated in the second beta test, we have concluded that we cannot avoid modifying the core programming.

Once the changes from the relocalization efforts have been implemented at the end of this month, we will be moving development to an entirely different developer who will primarily focus on frame rate improvements as well as other PC optimizations. Once that process begins, we will monitor the progress and determine the release schedule. We will also be sure to give regular updates to our progress.

Again, we truly regret that we underestimated the severity of the issues that have surfaced (and how long it would take to resolve them), and for that, NIS America sincerely apologizes to all of you for this unexpected delay. We are fully aware of how much our fans have been anticipating this release, and will do our very best to launch the game the way it is meant to be launched: without any issues, game-breaking bugs, or errors.

If you have made a pre-purchase on Steam and would like a refund due to this delay, please use the link provided below:

http://bit.ly/YsVIIIPC_refundprocess

For any purchases or pre-orders made outside of the Steam channel, please contact the corresponding refund support for that channel.

Thank you very much for your understanding, support, and patience through this time.

-VP and COO, Mitsuharu Hiraoka

I love the Ys serie but I am so done with this game at this point. I really hope NIS America will never get a Falcom game again. Now they have to give the PC version to another developer to fix it.....

I guess I will buy FFXII on steam now. I was still considering what to buy but I guess the decision was made for me already.

Last edited:

Valdega

The game must have some pretty lousy coding for porting to be this problematic. Still, it's good that they're taking the time to get it right instead of pushing out a broken product.

Barakov

Gold Member
First the bad translation and the constant delays of the PC version, the western release of this has been a mess.

Dunki

Why not both. Enjoy ffxii.
Because of two reasons.

1. I just can not support this decision anymore to let NISA handle any falcom game anymore because they seem really incompetent and XSEED did such a great job in the past.
2. There are sooooo many games coming out in Feb/march that i rather want to spend my money on something else now. ff12 is a game I have finished like 2 times already and I doubt I will play it soon. But I am just a FF fanboy and have now every FF game on Steamso of course I need this one too^^

Battlechili

Banned
and I doubt I will play it soon
If that's the case, why not go for something else? If you wanted to support Falcom, Zwei is coming out in four days. Plus it'll be cheaper.
Not trying to necessarily get you to not buy XII, as XII is a fantastic game. Just that if you don't think you'll play it anytime soon, it might be better if you find something you WOULD play fairly soon.

Dunki

If that's the case, why not go for something else? If you wanted to support Falcom, Zwei is coming out in four days. Plus it'll be cheaper.
Not trying to necessarily get you to not buy XII, as XII is a fantastic game. Just that if you don't think you'll play it anytime soon, it might be better if you find something you WOULD play fairly soon.
I never really liked Zwei and the next thing I will play is Monster Hunter and I buy 12 because they actually put effort into these ports.

Espada

I was ready to buy this for a good while, but now I'm probably going to wait for a sale. The wait for this on PC is just ridiculous. NISA's incompetence here is something that people will reference for years.

Wonko_C

The icing on the cake would be a last delay to add Denuvo.

I'm still waiting for this because it's half price compared to the PS4 version in my region.

Fassace

Neo Member
They could make up a bit for this entire mess by cutting the price by like 20%, but I seriously doubt that's going to happen.

ghairat

I think the pc version was like decided at the last minute and was originally supposed to be ps4 and psvita exclusive.

Typhares

Shame for those waiting for the PC version really. Curently 12 hours into the PS4 version and enjoying it a lot. Looking forward to getting the new translation although I haven't been bothered by the current one so far.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
That's a shame - I've been putting off a PS4 purchase since September in favor of the PC release. Oh well, by the time I get around to having time to play it, it should be super cheap on the PS4 second-hand market.

Top Bottom