• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yuzu will continue through Nuzu, Suyu Projects

El Muerto

Some kid on Reddit just copy/pasted everything to their git, trying to be cool. Nothing to see here. And we still have Ryujinx so not a total loss.

Ribi

I thought this might happen. If they had went to court and somehow Nintendo could get an argument that could change the interpretation of the law then these projects would be dead in the water. But that settlement didn't allow that

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
No, Nintendo never DMCA it. Valve asked Nintendo and Nintendo told them not to upload it due DMCA.
Here is the write up from dolphin.

Phase

I often wonder why Nintendo cares so much about this. Emulation will always be around and most of the people emulating Switch games weren't going to buy your product anyway, so it's not like you're losing paying customers (just enthusiasts who probably even help the popularity of your products). The amount of people actually using emulation is so small too, as most don't care to go through the effort of emulation - like this:

ri5lRL2X6CKa.jpeg

Reactions: RNG

SNG32

What is or would stop Nintendo from taking that one down too?

Genuinely asking. It does not look like a victory for emulation, to me...
As long as there’s no paywall behind emulators then I’m sure Nintendo probably wouldn’t want to spend lawyer fees on an emulator that makes no money. Yuzu was ranking in 30,000 a month supposedly and they said Zelda was downloaded a million times. So they investigated how yuzu was making money and found a way to attack through breaking dmca.

Last edited:

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
I mean, I can't say Nintendo came losing from a 2.4 million settlement, but man, it's good to see that emulation will not die because of it.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Kind of an important point, no? Because by the terms of the settlement, Yuzu devs are prohibited from working on Yuzu or Yuzu-derived projects.

So they basically need to find new people willing to work on an emulator and willing to take time to get used to the codebase. Good luck.
They can easily identify themselves as non Yuzu developers. It's 2024.

ReyBrujo

The amount of people actually using emulation is so small too

Well, one could say there were a million TotK downloads, not each of them was played or the same individual could have downloaded it more than once but the ones played might have been played by more than one individual. One million is a large number, though.

Also, after "every download is a lost sale" fallacy comes the "it surely promoted sales" one, it never fails.

They can easily identify themselves as non Yuzu developers. It's 2024.
Doubt they would do that if they just conceded and might face a much, much, much larger amount (70 million at the very least, Nintendo might ask for the cost of every TotK downloaded).

Phase

Well, one could say there were a million TotK downloads, not each of them was played or the same individual could have downloaded it more than once but the ones played might have been played by more than one individual. One million is a large number, though.

Also, after "every download is a lost sale" fallacy comes the "it surely promoted sales" one, it never fails.
For how popular the game is I don't think 1mil downloads is a huge amount. I also meant popularity will spread among those who played the rom and enjoyed it rather than them not playing the title at all. It helps to have hype about your product wherever it is coming from.

ReyBrujo

For how popular the game is I don't think 1mil downloads is a huge amount. I also meant popularity will spread among those who played the rom and enjoyed it rather than them not playing the title at all. It helps to have hype about your product wherever it is coming from.
It's counterfactual because I can say that if a million downloads is not a huge amount (since it sold 21 million legally) then the hype provoked by that million download is not huge (since it already had the hype from the 21 million sales). And their opinion is also subjective, from that million there could be half who think the game should be played on an emulator because "nobody with head would play it at 720p 30fps" or that it's not worth the 70 bucks. If you ask me when someone who played it using an emulator is asked how to get the game they won't pass the eShop link, they will pass the emulator+ROM link.

nemiroff

Gold Member
The last version of Yuzu is out there in lots of people's hands, and it's not like their copies are going to stop working.

So what are the actual ramifications of slowing down development? New games potentially not working? What else?

Phase

It's counterfactual because I can say that if a million downloads is not a huge amount (since it sold 21 million legally) then the hype provoked by that million download is not huge (since it already had the hype from the 21 million sales).
And I would agree with this. I think it's a waste of Nintendo's time and only serves to make them look bad in the eyes of many gamers.

Barakov

Gold Member
As long as folks don't get stupid like Tropic Haze did, they should be fine. That's my guess anyway. Probably best NOT to open a patreon account.
Yeah. If they fly under the radar and don't try to make money off it they should be fine. If Yuzu didn't open a patreon then Nintendo would've probably ignored it.

Still kinda crazy how long Nintendo took to take action against this.

Hudo

As long as they are not as retarded as the Yuzu people were and not promote piracy on their Discord, as well as not collect money for their emulator (and found a company), they should be good.

Last edited:
Reactions: RNG
Kind of an important point, no? Because by the terms of the settlement, Yuzu devs are prohibited from working on Yuzu or Yuzu-derived projects.

So they basically need to find new people willing to work on an emulator and willing to take time to get used to the codebase. Good luck.

I know, right. There is only like 8 programmers in the entire world who are looking for a challenge. What will we ever do.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I would imagine that Nintendo took ownership of the Yuzu source as part of the settlement. If not, then that's a big oopsie on Nintendo's part.

ReyBrujo

Those 8 programmers were the ones pushing the boundaries of the project (partially because they were actually getting paid for developing it full time). Sure, you got lots of other programmers around but most of the ones taking charge are people who never had the whole picture in their head, it will take months for them to be productive. Also, since this time they "won't" be pirating they won't be testing it as much as the original team was. And having to deal with code written by others is something not many developers can stomach (believe me, I work full-time working with legacy code).

The PRs will be interesting, though. "Fixing issue which made the menu screen of... a certain game I own and legally dumped but won't name it here... stutter because of unconventional usage of callbacks", "That PR made... uh... a game I own and legally dumped obviously drop frames in the opening where those callbacks were used..." How can you justify modifications if you can't have people test it with a ROM (when naming that ROM could be admitting to piracy)? There will be a lot of "trust me bro" moments in the future because of the baggage they accepted to carry.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Switch emulation will continue. It will just take a while for it to get moving again.
I never said otherwise. I just said that Yuzu developers can't work on Yuzu source code. That doesn't mean those developers can't start working on a new emulator, or that other developers can pick up on Yuzu source code, although either of these paths is difficult.

tkscz

What is or would stop Nintendo from taking that one down too?

Genuinely asking. It does not look like a victory for emulation, to me...
Besides making absolute bank on their patreon (anywhere from $30k - $40k a month) Tropical Haze, the devs of Yuzu and Citra, also had an illegal stash of ROMs that they used to get those games working before the game officially released to the public.

In fact that's what got Nintendo's attention in the first place, Tears of the Kingdom leaked several days early and it just so happens that Yuzu could run it perfectly. ROMs have to be debugged to run correctly on an emulator, which means the devs of that emulator have to have a copy of the ROM and somehow Tropical Haze had an early ROM of TotK. They even openly announced TotK worked early on Yuzu days before it came out, almost the same time as the game leaked (which everyone said was a dumb thing to do and made them look very suspicious).

As long as these new guys understand not to get ROMs early to make money off of this, they should be fine. Ryujinx is still going strong so honestly not sure why these guys don't just go help with that.

Switch emulation will continue. It will just take a while for it to get moving again.

Do people just pretend Ryujinx doesn't exist? It's still going strong with no DMCA or law suit in site.

Last edited:

Hugare

Those 8 programmers were the ones pushing the boundaries of the project (partially because they were actually getting paid for developing it full time). Sure, you got lots of other programmers around but most of the ones taking charge are people who never had the whole picture in their head, it will take months for them to be productive. Also, since this time they "won't" be pirating they won't be testing it as much as the original team was. And having to deal with code written by others is something not many developers can stomach (believe me, I work full-time working with legacy code).

The PRs will be interesting, though. "Fixing issue which made the menu screen of... a certain game I own and legally dumped but won't name it here... stutter because of unconventional usage of callbacks", "That PR made... uh... a game I own and legally dumped obviously drop frames in the opening where those callbacks were used..." How can you justify modifications if you can't have people test it with a ROM (when naming that ROM could be admitting to piracy)? There will be a lot of "trust me bro" moments in the future because of the baggage they accepted to carry.
They will 100% be pirating, they just wont be stupid about it. For example: Ryujinx is safe, 'cause they dont report that they have games not yet available being emulated day one, or a Google Drive with .iso files and etc.

But even with the legal stuff out of the way, yeah, they are in a complicated situation. I doubt that they will try to decypher that spaghetti code. Suyu so far has only changed the logo and removed Yuzu mentions from the code. Its 100% Yuzu code still, and it will be for a long time.

Its funny to see people making comparison videos already between Yuzu and Suyu on Youtube

Dont download a thing yet, people

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
I often wonder why Nintendo cares so much about this. Emulation will always be around and most of the people emulating Switch games weren't going to buy your product anyway, so it's not like you're losing paying customers (just enthusiasts who probably even help the popularity of your products). The amount of people actually using emulation is so small too, as most don't care to go through the effort of emulation - like this:

ri5lRL2X6CKa.jpeg
They're trying to monetize emulation in some of the scummiest/lowest effort ways possible, like subscription services.

ReyBrujo

Suyu was taken down as well.

Nintendo might not need to individually sue emulators out of existence to drive them deeper underground. Today, GitLab cut off access to Nintendo Switch emulator Suyu, and disabled the accounts of its developers, after receiving what appears to be a scary email in the form of a DMCA takedown request.
“GitLab received a DMCA takedown notice from a representative of the rightsholder and followed our standard process outlined here,” spokesperson Kristen Butler tells The Verge.

Pejo

How has Ryujinx been faring with all of this Nintendo horseshit? Somehow they've managed to lay low?

DaGwaphics

I'd expect these things to stay around. Nintendo can't really ever stop this.

They can only stop projects that attempt to profit (as that gives them a tangible target), but distributed methods that never identify the coders are almost impossible to shutdown. People that are really into this kind of thing know where to look even when things hop around.

Last edited:

Pejo

They chilled out and updates stopped for a few days during the happening (probably went over social media posts, internal coms etc), then it went back to business as usual.
Definitely the right approach. I think back sometimes to that thread about Dolphin on Steam where I said it was a bad thing for emulation to gain mainstream notoriety and easy access and people disagreed with me, but really that seems to be the correct approach. Don't poke the bear, as it were.

Top Bottom