• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda BotW impressions and gameplay footage from Game Informer

SomTervo

The shrines are adding things to do, puzzles to solve, _fun_ to be had in the world, not just places to check off and items to collect, like many open world games. That's more important than putting together huge dungeons because 'that's how Zelda usually is'. The world is your dungeon.

Yup. Well said.

I mean Far Cry 3 and Watch Dogs's "region towers" were sort of good too, but BotW looks wayyy more emergent and dynamic.

WadeitOut

xQupJLluqvoRy.gif

Caelus

I'm gonna wear that metal armor for the entirety of the game - at least when I won't get insta killed.

Fun fact - electricity generated by enemy weapons/attacks will also be drawn to your metal armor. Oopsies, insta-death right there.

The Lizalfos in the trailer is straight up using a boomerang. Boomerang might be in the game and the manual throw mechanic is used for it rather than the auto targeting of past games. It's also pretty evident how amazing the smear animations look.

OCD Guy

Here's Link being struck by lightning.

https://youtu.be/LAiEhEu0F70?t=176

At 2:18 (where the enemies are sleeping) the game just looks amazing. I don't know what it is, but I just find that the game looks incredible. The shadows, art style, and animation just wow.

I wish the Switch was out this Friday....Can't wait to lie in bed with the screen 2 inches from my face and some big ass headphones with the volume cranked up

Caelus

The Lizalfos in the trailer is straight up using a boomerang. Boomerang might be in the game and the manual throw mechanic is used for it rather than the auto targeting of past games. It's also pretty evident how amazing the smear animations look.

Yo, you're totally right. Boomerangs confirmed, looks like if you throw them they just come back to you, otherwise they're a regular melee weapon - cool !

FingerBang

The more I know about this game, the more incredible it looks. And I am definitely not the biggest Nintendo fan nor Zelda fan (finished Wind Waker only).

16 days to go!

Poyunch

I love that the game doesn't scale. Gonna feel great being murdered in the beginning and then coming back and whacking some fools.

Muninn

Banned
Honestly, no. I remember impressions of Skyward Sword being kinda all over the place even when it first came out. Critic scores were of course mostly high praise, but even then there were were some exceptions, like Gamespot's 7.5 review.

It has a 93 on meta and is probably no better than 75 to 80 games IMO. Please.

Am I the only one who finds the animation to the Boboklins hilarious when they are blown the fuck out.

I always laugh when I see them fly backwards when links attacks them.

Bulzeeb

I have no plans to buy a switch at launch so I am not sure if I should buy this for Wii U or wait for holiday season to get the game.

DJIzana

I'm nitpicking as hell right now (as this game, gameplay and exploration wise, is everything I could EVER dream of) but... if there was only ONE thing I'm not that excited about with this game, is the skybox isn't as crazy as some others (Xenoblade series does that really well or other games). Totally grasping at straws but just one thing I noticed. Looks rather bland... at least, from what we've seen so far.

I'm loving how fresh this new Zelda feels and all buuuuuuut if I kick a chicken repeatedly and no angry chicken horde comes at me imma be pissed.

RagnarokX

In the Japanese puppet preview in another thread, a fish jumps out of the water at around the 50 second mark, while Link is swimming. Either we're going to be smacking them with boomerangs, shooting them with arrows, or fishing :D
You catch fish by just swimming into them. You can also bomb fish.

Muninn

Banned
I know it's ANNOYING, but I cannot help think what this game would look like on a PS4 Pro level of hardware or even something just like the PS4.

Oh man nintendo hurts my soul sometimes. Still not sure if I want a Switch. Will need a lot more opinions on image quality on the handheld.

Top Bottom