• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: Twilight Princess' "Amazing New Elements" = Revolution controls?

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
We all remember Iwata saying that the reason they delayed Zelda was because they wanted to add "amazing new elements" to the game. People speculated that it might have something to do with enhanced graphics or something when played on the Revolution. I don't know about you guys but I'm definitely sensing that something is up.

I think this is how it might go down...

1. Zelda:TP releases next year.
2. People will play the game on the GC and get a traditional Zelda experience.
3. Nintendo releases the Revolution.
4. People will play the game again on the Rev and get a whole new experience because the game will have been programmed ahead of time to make use of the Revolution controller.

As a result Nintendo kills two birds with one stone. Zelda:TP = both a GC and REV killer app!

littlewig

Banned
Nintendo should just forget about the whole Gamecube release and hold this game off until Christmas 2006/Spring2007 and make it for the Revolution.

Kroole

Nah.. Nintendo said this was the last Zelda game as we know it so I'd like for it to go out with a bang by using the classic elements and surpass every predecessor.

Tritroid

Kroole said:
Nah.. Nintendo said this was the last Zelda game as we know it so I'd like for it to go out with a bang by using the classic elements and surpass every predecessor.
...Uh what? They never said that.

They said that Zelda Rev. is, and has already been, in development.

Kroole

Umm... I said AS WE KNOW IT.. Not the last. That's why I stressed the classical elements.

EDIT: Meaning that the next game will be quite different from the Zeldas on N64-GC

Kroole said:

That was just a poor Engrish translation.

AssMan

Banned
I'm worried about the Zelda franchise now. I think this is the end of what we've known about our beloved franchise.

AssMan said:
I'm worried about the Zelda franchise now. I think this is the end of what we've known about our beloved franchise.

Yes ofcourse; because suddenly, nintendo have forgotten about making good games.

Given that twilight princess would be developed for the GC on gamecube hardware is this even possible? And please don't give me some fanboy answer. If an actual dev who is familiar with gamecube dev kits could give a real answer it would be appreciated.

digit

I had the exact same thought when they first announced Zelda's delay.

http://forums.gaming-age.com/showthread.php?t=60054&page=3&pp=50

Now that the Rev controller's been revealed, I'm even more convinced. Read IGN's article about possible uses for the controller. They speculate on how it could be used in a Zelda game. Nintendo could be using the extra dev time to build this sort of functionality into TP right now.

They could retool some other Gamecube games to work with the new controller too. Like using the pointer to control FLUDD in Mario Sunshine. In that case, they'd have to re-release a new version of the game (perhaps as a download from their new online service). But with Zelda, they have the opportunity to build it in before Revolution releases. Everyone who buys Zelda for GC has a reason to try out the Revolution just to see how the new controller changes the game.

effzee

at this point id rather them just move the game to revoluion completely and have it as a killer launch title along side smash bros and metroid.

antipode

Billy Rygar said:
Given that twilight princess would be developed for the GC on gamecube hardware is this even possible? And please don't give me some fanboy answer. If an actual dev who is familiar with gamecube dev kits could give a real answer it would be appreciated.

I'm not a GCN dev, but we've heard for a few months that the Rev dev kits out there are overclocked Gamecube dev kits with more memory, and the API is almost identical to the GCN. So you could move any GCN game to the Rev instantly, and re-use your engine code (the GCN has many architectural features in common with the X360 too, if it means anything.)

antipode said:
I'm not a GCN dev, but we've heard for a few months that the Rev dev kits out there are overclocked Gamecube dev kits with more memory, and the API is almost identical to the GCN. So you could move any GCN game to the Rev instantly, and re-use your engine code (the GCN has many architectural features in common with the X360 too, if it means anything.)
I am aware that GC games can be moved onto the revolution. But would it be possible to develop a game that can be played on the gamecube, but also have features that are exclusive to the revolution as this thread implies.

digit

Billy Rygar said:
I am aware that GC games can be moved onto the revolution. But would it be possible to develop a game that can be played on the gamecube, but also have features that are exclusive to the revolution as this thread implies.

I don't think anyone but Nintendo could answer that question. But it seems plausible since Rev can read Gamecube discs.

Diffense

AssMan said:

Zelda 64 was the end of the zelda franchise as we knew it on the SNES. Likewise, locking on and auto-jump may be gone in Zelda Revolution.

terrene

Banned
Am I the only one who things that games are better when they're fun as opposed to "different?" Different isn't always a positive modifier -- it can even be a euphemism for, you know... GAY.

well to be truly fun it has to be a fairly new experience does it not? Uniquenes doesnt necessarily guarantee fun but i believe a game can only be so fun without uniqueness.

And i have two thoughts on the theory disclosed in this thread.

1) That would be kinda cool. One of the gameboy color zelda games had a special shop you could only enter if you played it on a GBA so this sort of thing isnt totally unpresidented(sp?)

b) As much as i love Nintendo and regard them as having unparalleled quality and being a generally "good" company, they would make much more money if they just released "Twilight Princess: Limited Edition" that incorporates the rev controller when the new console launches.

Im not even sure that nintendo is actually adding significant elements that they thought of last minute. I think they just ran out of time and didnt want to rush it like they did Windwaker.

Ranger X

littlewig said:
Nintendo should just forget about the whole Gamecube release and hold this game off until Christmas 2006/Spring2007 and make it for the Revolution.

Please God no. It's been since Majora's Mask i'm waiting for a GREAT home console Zelda game. Don't make me wait any longer. And what if i don't want to buy a Rev so far?

DCharlie

Banned
is it possible that companies could release downloadable patches that alter the control mapping for their GC games?

taking it further - if it's possible to retrofit the core of Metroid Prime 2 in two weeks to work with the controller, is it possible for games companies to released patches to incorpoarate revolution controls into older games.

Iwata mentioned a while back you could play your old games in new ways.
Given that the virtual machines will obviously have virtual control handlers, i'd have thought we'd see some interesting ways to replay those old games....

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Deku Tree said:
Amazing new Elements = Fishing with a remote controller! MEGATON!

Delay 6+ months for a full blown remote control fishing game playable on the Rev... I don't think I would mind.
You think I'm kidding. :D

Top Bottom