• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Master does it again. Final Doom: TNT Evilution on NIGHTMARE! difficulty

Dai101

Banned
The new Doom took 2 days to be completed on ultra-nightmare while Final Doom: TNT Evilution took over 20 years for its first ever single segment nightmare run! Why has this not been done before now? Well, it wasn't before 2010 that map 09 (Stronghold) was completed for the first time on nightmare from pistol start by Xit-Vono. Map 09 stood as the only uncompleted IWAD nightmare map for over 8 years after map 12 of plutonia was completed in 2002. In a full playthrough I would have to survive the first 8 maps before getting a single attempt on map 09 before then having to complete another 22 maps on nightmare without dying. There is one advantage to doing map 09 after doing the first 8 maps, namely weapons like rocket launcher and plasma rifle. While there is a rocket launcher on stronghold, it is quite late and more dangerous to grab, also there is no plasma rifle. Unfortunately, map 09 comes after map 08, obviously, and map 08 happens to be a very difficult map because of the final room. Even if you survive you are very likely to start stronghold with under 100% health, so a disadvantage compared to pistol start. I've died over half the time on map 08, here I got very lucky and had good health for stronghold.

From the DoomWiki ( https://doomwiki.org/wiki/TNT:_Evilution ):
"TNT: Evilution, released on June 17, 1996, forms one half of Final Doom, a commercial product which consists of two 32-level Doom II IWADs (the other being The Plutonia Experiment). The "TNT" in the title stands for "The New Technology", and represents the name of the mapping team, TeamTNT, who created Evilution. It was completed in November 1995, and was to have been released for free. However, a publishing deal was brokered by John Romero the night before its planned release, resulting in the commercial publication of Final Doom by id Software. This commercialization of TNT: Evilution caused a certain amount of controversy within the Doom community, and Evilution is consequently one of Doomworld's "Top 10 Infamous WADs", albeit not for reasons of gameplay or level design. "

Final Doom: TNT Evilution is the last IWAD to be completed on nightmare. Ultimate Doom is not too difficult with 8(9) maps each episode, Doom II: Hell on Earth was completed on nightmare in 1998 while Final Doom: The Plutonia Experiment was completed last year.

There are very few tricks done in this run, most notable would be on map 05 where I grab a key through the wall. Some other tricks done here are linedef skips to avoid some monster ambushes, but nothing major like those done in Doom 2 or The Plutonia Experiment.

This should also be the longest doom nightmare demo ever recorded.

TNT monster count:
Imp: 1357
Shotgun guy:1041
Chaingunner: 601
Zombieman: 443
Lost Soul: 264
Revenant: 233
Spectre: 224
Demon: 219
Hell Knight: 110
Cacodemon: 99
Mancubus: 84
Baron: 61
Arachnotron: 57
Pain Elemental: 40
Arch-vile: 38
Cyberdemon: 6
Spider Mastermind:3

Watch it here in his YT channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yg9yIsSj-yU

epmode

I wish I knew these levels better so I could understand how well this guy is playing but it's still very impressive. Thanks for the link.

DOOM and family still bringing the joy, 23 years later.

This is damn remarkable. I can't do most levels on Nightmare in TNT when I take my time conserving ammo and health...

Watched this awhile back, amazing gameplay. My favorite part was how he made partial invisibility (normally considered ineffective or detrimental) into a unique strategy in one of the levels.

Dai101

Banned
Dude is clinical in his approach.

And those levels do not look easy.

Indeed. Hell i haven't never put much attention to Evilution and i'm with the jaw on the floor.

I wish I knew these levels better so I could understand how well this guy is playing but it's still very impressive. Thanks for the link.

Same, but impresive. Very impressive.

How is this being controlled? Just keyboard?

Keyboard and mouse more likely.

Top Bottom