• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Sugar or Diet Sodas? Are they viable?

Karmic Raze

Yeah, so I’m a heavy drinker of regular sugary ass soda and I have been trying to find alternatives that I can stick with. Water and water flavoring isn’t working for me. Neither was Gatorade Zero. Tonight I tried Cherry Coke Zero Sugar and Mountain Dew Zero Sugar and I am impressed with their flavor. I could really get used to them, but is the sodium intake a big problem if you are trying to lose weight? I’m overweight and I need to stop drinking all of the soda I’m currently drinking before it catches up to me. I intend to get back to my exercise regimen very soon (should have never stopped), but I want to know first if these zero sugar and diet sodas are viable alternatives to regular sodas. Can I drink these things and lose weight by dropping the calorie intake? Please enlighten me.

Karmic Raze

Well, fuck me then. What do you suggest I drink then? I guess I can try water again. It just makes me nauseous when I drink more than a little bit, so that’s the big problem I’m having. Plus, I’m a pussy and can’t give up my sugar.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
There’s no substitute for drinking water. Break the addiction to sugar water first; it’ll take around two weeks of withdrawals. After that you can treat yourself to a sugar-free sweet drink on occasion, in moderation. Water will taste good and refreshing eventually, without all the gunk in it, and crap like coca-cola will seem insane afterwards.

You’ll lose a lot of weight just by doing this.

Cutty Flam

Banned
The only ones that are trustworthy, and not going to damage your body are the stevia sweetened carbonated drinks. I don't know of any that are using monkfruit just yet, which is another safe option. Erythritol is also safe, but I've only seen that used in protein drinks, powders, and bars. Almost guaranteed, all the major brands like Pepsi, Mountain Dew, Coca Cola are either using Aspartame or Sucralose; both of which I would advise you never intake again. I believe those are harmful sweeteners. With many, it might take years to cause harm. I could feel the damage done instantly since I have an acutely sensitive body when it comes to many harmful substances, and could instantly feel homeostasis rapidly slipping away from my body whenever I would drink those oldschool whey protein powders with sucralose, or a diet coke as kid with aspartame

Those are my thoughts on the subject. Good luck with the weight loss. Tea and stevia is really good to stave off hunger too. Just make it extremely strong, preferably decaffeinated , and add stevia to your taste and it helps calm you down and feel fairly satiated for an hour maybe is what I've been experiencing

Cutty Flam

Banned
I stopped drinking soda and started drinking sparkling water. Haven't had soda in years.
This too is amazing. I lost so much fat and gained so much muscle because of sparkling water helping to stave off wild hunger pangs. Great mention

Karmic Raze

There’s no substitute for drinking water. Break the addiction to sugar water first; it’ll take around two weeks of withdrawals. After that you can treat yourself to a sugar-free sweet drink on occasion, in moderation. Water will taste good and refreshing eventually, without all the gunk in it, and crap like coca-cola will seem insane afterwards.

You’ll lose a lot of weight just by doing this.

Thanks for the advice, dude. It’s great to hear that I’ll lose a lot of weight just by cutting the soda out and drinking water. Fuck it, I’m done with soda. It might suck for those 2 weeks, but I want to lose the weight so badly it hurts. It’s definitely going to be worth it. Throw in some good exercise and the pounds will come off. I appreciate your words of wisdom!

Tranquil

Been drinking Diet Soda for years, don't believe any of that non-sense where it tricks your body into thinking it's sugar. Non-Sense.

Drink diet soda and stay on a low carb diet also make sure to watch your calories and you'll lose weight. Lost 40 pounds in about 3 months and I drank diet soda the whole time, still do.

Last edited:

bronk

Banned
Either dont drink any at all or go all the way with soda soda. Im chugging a large mtn dew right now. Im not gonna pretend like it doesnt affect all the hard work i put into my body working out BUT feels good to be an occasional shit head. I work even harder cause I know I drink mtn dew, beers and other trash. So idk im weird. Long story short just drink water if u can lol.

As far as your question: can you drink diet soda and still lose weight? I’d imagine sure, you’re probably much better off just from a lack of calories vs regular soda standpoint. I used to drink Diet Dr. Pepper because it has a hint of caffeine and I hate coffee but needed a kickstart. DDP is the best diet soda I ever tried.

I stopped drinking soda entirely a couple years ago and it paid dividends. I mainly only drink water and small servings of coconut water with a little drip of Pom juice in the morning. If you can see yourself able to drop soda entirely I recommend going that route.

Diet soda might be healthier than regular soda but that’s not saying much. As for your sodium concern, I don’t imagine sodium from a diet soda would adversely affect you unless you’re drinking a liter at a time.

I started drinking a shit ton of water every day when I had reoccurring bouts of kidney stones over a 12 month period and it’s really made a positive difference. Try this if you can.

this post won’t get likes

Last edited:

highrider

Banned
What works for me is iced coffee and tea, also hot but mostly iced. You should still drink water most of the time, but I like a little energy boost from something that has a little sugar that I make, as opposed to soda which is huge sugar/chemical bomb. Still I break down and have soda sometimes. But I have a physical job so I can get away with not eating perfectly.

SpiceRacz

I think they're fine if you're at least somewhat active. Some artificial sweeteners will still spike your insulin, but that depends on the individual. Just don't drink a shit ton of them and it won't have a huge impact on your insulin sensitivity.

Thaedolus

Having a water cooler with a hospital ice machine hooked up to it at work has been great for my water intake

Last edited:
i was slamming coke zero few weeks ago but after my splenda thread i just manage my intake to include the real thing when i feel like drinking soda

haven't gone out yet but when i finally make a restocking mission im coming back with ice cream oreos poptarts coca cola pepsi cola all that shit finna do diabetes 3.0 change the game again

rykomatsu

Diet soda is fine - just don't overcompensate by eating more junk.

Anecdotal / n=1, but I drink 2 cans of monster ultra / day, plus a bunch of non-energy drink diet sodas per day or week, but have no problems losing weight. That said, I am doing keto at the same time. It's possible I might lose more weight faster if I don't drink diet soda in lieu of water, but I'm pretty happy with 2-3lb weight loss/week.

brap

Banned
I’ve tried Bubly/Bubbly and it tasted like complete horse dick.
I like Sparkling Ice. Even the generic brand at CVS is decent. Think it's called golden emblem or some shit. Ice Mountain is gross. Some have that weird chemical taste like you're drinking air or something.

Last edited:

Karmic Raze

I like Sparkling Ice. Even the generic brand at CVS is decent. Think it's called golden emblem or some shit. Ice Mountain is gross. Some have that weird chemical taste like you're drinking air or something.

I think I’ve seen Sparkling Ice at Dollar General, but I may be mistaken.

Last edited by a moderator:

teezzy

Banned
Drink water. Drink twice as much as you think you should. The more hydrated and fulfilled your body feels, the less it's going to crave stupid bullshit that keeps you fat. Diet soda should be a treat at best. Reserve it for meals only if it helps.

Maintaining a healthy weight takes discipline, and an overall lifestyle adjustment. Prove that you're worthy and cut the crap. You'll thank yourself later.

Screenshot-20200329-230213-Chrome.jpg

Rbk_3

I’ve tried Bubly/Bubbly and it tasted like complete horse dick.

Strawberry and Cherry taste great imo.

Drink water. Drink twice as much as you think you should. The more hydrated and fulfilled your body feels, the less it's going to crave stupid bullshit that keeps you fat. Diet soda should be a treat at best. Reserve it for meals only if it helps.

Maintaining a healthy weight takes discipline, and an overall lifestyle adjustment. Prove that you're worthy and cut the crap. You'll thank yourself later.

Screenshot-20200329-230213-Chrome.jpg
Doesn't he drink like 12 cans a day?

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Yeah, so I’m a heavy drinker of regular sugary ass soda and I have been trying to find alternatives that I can stick with. Water and water flavoring isn’t working for me. Neither was Gatorade Zero. Tonight I tried Cherry Coke Zero Sugar and Mountain Dew Zero Sugar and I am impressed with their flavor. I could really get used to them, but is the sodium intake a big problem if you are trying to lose weight? I’m overweight and I need to stop drinking all of the soda I’m currently drinking before it catches up to me. I intend to get back to my exercise regimen very soon (should have never stopped), but I want to know first if these zero sugar and diet sodas are viable alternatives to regular sodas. Can I drink these things and lose weight by dropping the calorie intake? Please enlighten me.

im a Medic with speciality and all i can say is any Soda (Diet or not) Have a lot of sugar about 40% Is pure sugar in 400ml of coke or more, and im gonna say the truth… if you wanna lose weight you have to quit or reduce a lot any soda.

conclusión, Soda Diet doesnt work and is a lair of the companies that it doesnt have sugar.

I was a like you… i like a lot coke but i start to drink wáter and do exercise 60 minutes per day and with that you gonna lost weight in short time

If you drink a lot of soda it warps your taste buds so that you like similar foods which are bad for you. If you eat a diet of meat and vegetables over time your taste buds will change so that they taste better, and with the right spices or prepared in the right way you can have stuff that is better and better for you when your taste buds adapt.

Nymphae

Banned
Coke Life was great, half the sugar and cut with stevia to make up for it. Wish I could still buy it in Canada.

I forced myself by only drinking sips of a 2L bottle of Soda for an entire month. I'm gonna be honest, it was a REAL BITCH to do this but worked wonders for me after getting used to. I only drink COLD water most of the time.

Durask

The only ones that are trustworthy, and not going to damage your body are the stevia sweetened carbonated drinks. I don't know of any that are using monkfruit just yet, which is another safe option.

Stevia is OK. I tried stevia soda a few times it is not bad if you really need that sweet fix.

Erythritol is also safe, but I've only seen that used in protein drinks, powders, and bars.

It's safe but if you eat a tiny bit too much it's diarrhea time.

Karmic Raze

EviLore, you wanted me to ask this here:

How did you go about losing your weight? How much did you lose just by cutting out sugary drinks and how much by exercising? What kind of exercises do you recommend for someone just starting on the path to lose a lot of weight? Thanks. I really appreciate it.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
in elementary/middle school i would crush coke/mountain dew on the regular. two liter bottles. i then just switched to apple juice, grape juice and orange juice in middle school for like over a decade. last couple years i just blend greens and berries/lemons/fruit and seeds/nuts. that fiber in whole foods slows down sugar absorption and burns more slowly fam & you get a lot of nutrients thatll speed up ur metabolism

There is some circumstantial evidence that drinking diet sodas or zero sugar drinks actually messes with your metabolism because it tastes like sugar and your body thinks it's sugar but there is no sugar and that is very bad. Not as bad as real sugar but the reality is that the only healthy beverages humans are meant to consume are beverages which contain no sweetness, real or artificial. If you can't learn to love water, you know, what animals have been drinking since they literally crawled out of the oceans and lay heaving on the beach wondering what the fuck to do now, then at least enjoy tea and coffee. Anything is better than soda, diet soda, or zero sugar soda.

Also heads up for the fruit juice lovers: those have the same negative effects as soda. You aren't winning by switching from Coke or Diet Coke to orange juice.

black_13

Banned
There's alot of negative stigma around diet drinks. Many doctors say it's safe and very little studies showing it has negative consequences. Layne Norton has talked about it before.

I drink 2 cans a day but also lots of water through out the day so don't see an issue with it. I'm losing weight currently and it's working. One of the best weight management tricks I've heard is to never drink calories.

There is some circumstantial evidence that drinking diet sodas or zero sugar drinks actually messes with your metabolism because it tastes like sugar and your body thinks it's sugar but there is no sugar and that is very bad. Not as bad as real sugar but the reality is that the only healthy beverages humans are meant to consume are beverages which contain no sweetness, real or artificial. If you can't learn to love water, you know, what animals have been drinking since they literally crawled out of the oceans and lay heaving on the beach wondering what the fuck to do now, then at least enjoy tea and coffee. Anything is better than soda, diet soda, or zero sugar soda.

Also heads up for the fruit juice lovers: those have the same negative effects as soda. You aren't winning by switching from Coke or Diet Coke to orange juice.
idk i think getting 100-400 calories from fruit juice could be great as long as your total energy intake is under control, especially if fruit juice isn't something you consume on the regular

i'd even say the same for sugar soda, except there's no micro nutrients in that.. that shit good for the mind

Last edited:
Top Bottom