• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zombi U rated in Taiwan as Zombi for XB1, PS4

AdanVC

I honestly just played the demo but never bothered on buying this game on Wii U and is the only home console I have currently... I'm part of the problem why 3rd party games dissapeared on Wii U. But heyy! At least I got Rayman Legends on day one and I consider it one of the best 2D platformers in years :) Same with Ass Creed Black Flag wich is great despite the technical flaws on Wii U.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
The final segments of Zombi U were some of the most intense things ever.

That fear of wondering what would happen if you died this far into the final mission, coupled with the most dangerous enemies in the game in huge quantities and what felt like the longest gauntlet to ever be run.

I remember heading for the chopper at the end and being down to my last 8 rifle bullets and making every single one of them count.

Pure intensity and pure satisfaction.

The game also has amazing scenarios through the whole experience, the spooky preschool, the streets at dusk, and all sorts of other awesome locals. The rain is also amazing in ZombiU, it really makes you feel exposed to the elements. The game pad integration was cool, I think ditching it will impact the enjoyment of the game a bit but it should work without it. Managing the inventory in real time via the gamepad and having no ability to pause was awesome because pulling up the game pad and moving your hands while trying to do other stuff really gave you that sensation of trying to do shit while looking through your backpack.

Ricky_R

If this releases on the PS4, I will definetly get it. I thought the game looked pretty cool.

Hopefully it gets a resolution boost. The art style and post processing can remain intact.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Zombi U has more tension than any game I've played in recent times. Thing is, a lot of that is due to the gamepad integration for inventory management and the radar. I don't see how they can replace that, so I think Wii U will still be the best place to play this game.

The radar is mostly just used for the novelty of "omg a swarm of dots wait no it's birds lol", so I can't say I really thought that was all that tense or interesting.

Here's how I would do the inventory side:
- Do the inventory management on an overlay that covers the central 75%, say, of the screen
- Heavily blur out the periphery that's still visible, so that people can tell if movement is going on but not quite what's happening
- Maybe do something with the audio; raise up the music and lower the sound effects, or raise up ambient sound effects and lower zombie noises.

The turret aiming was entirely terrible, so just scrap that outright.

Not sure what I'd do for the tactile QTEs. I guess you could switch to button mashing or some sort of puzzle minigame.

The inventory thing is getting blown out of proportion; dead space did it before.

It was different in execution but similar in concept.

BratmanDu

Great game, but without the Aliens-style gamepad motion detector beeping I don't know if it would be as intense. The inventory thing was definitely part of the fun too as you'd be looking down but also trying to keep an eye on your character. The scanning was a bit of a chore though, shouldn't affect things too much. Hope other peeps enjoy this game though.

The radar is mostly just used for the novelty of "omg a swarm of dots wait no it's birds lol", so I can't say I really thought that was all that tense or interesting.

Here's how I would do the inventory side:
- Do the inventory management on an overlay that covers the central 75%, say, of the screen
- Heavily blur out the periphery that's still visible, so that people can tell if movement is going on but not quite what's happening
- Maybe do something with the audio; raise up the music and lower the sound effects, or raise up ambient sound effects and lower zombie noises.

The turret aiming was entirely terrible, so just scrap that outright.

Not sure what I'd do for the tactile QTEs. I guess you could switch to button mashing or some sort of puzzle minigame.

You did also have the scanner, which, as well as pointing out useful items in the environment, also acted as a kind of 'augmented torch' in that it was brighter than the regular torch. I used it as a kind of safety blanket when the torch alone wasn't enough to stop me crapping myself in dark areas.

jholmes

Ah yes finally! Now I don't have to borrow or buy a Wii U to play this and BTW eat crow all of you who said this will never happen due to how the game was designed for the gamepad.

People didn't say it would never happen because it was designed for the GamePad, they said it shouldn't happen because it was designed for the GamePad, and no one is going to "eat crow" because Ubisoft isn't going to suddenly going to put the extra effort into a game it didn't bother to put any polish or promotion into the first time.

But you see this as a victory of sorts over someone, I guess, so bully for you.

The inventory thing is getting blown out of proportion; dead space did it before.

It was different in execution but similar in concept.

Dead Space had you look away from the TV and back? Didn't know that.

(mat)

Ah yes finally! Now I don't have to borrow or buy a Wii U to play this and BTW eat crow all of you who said this will never happen due to how the game was designed for the gamepad.

People didn't say it would never happen because it was designed for the GamePad, they said it shouldn't happen because it was designed for the GamePad, and no one is going to "eat crow" because Ubisoft isn't going to suddenly going to put the extra effort into a game it didn't bother to put any polish or promotion into the first time.

But you see this as a victory of sorts over someone, I guess, so bully for you.

See bolded. Where the hell am I right now? These are the best. Jee wiz.

zma1013

It's a decent little horror game with a good atmosphere but the game really seems like a demo reel of sorts or a solid foundation to ultimitaly make an awesome sequel if they could expand and improve upon what worked in the game and drop what didn't.

I'm sure the experience will be intact for this new version without the gamepad as it's just not essential for what ZombiU was using it for.

I dont know why you guys are so stuck on the gamepad angle

I cant see the port of this game being anything but a good thing.

It's a decent little horror game with a good atmosphere but the game really seems like a demo reel of sorts or a solid foundation to ultimitaly make an awesome sequel if they could expand and improve upon what worked in the game and drop what didn't.

The main game was long enough. Sure you can totally see that it could have been way bigger but what was shipped I still see as a complete experience. Not bad for a first entry

I would love a sequel that builds on the cool ideas this game had going for it.

jholmes

I dont know why you guys are so stuck on the gamepad angle

I cant see the port of this game being anything but a good thing.

I mean, did you play the game? Ubisoft rushed it out with some serious bugs and sorely lacking graphical polish and this port will likely be a rush job, given how they treated the initial release and given that it's, you know, Ubisoft, so I for one can see it as a bad thing and don't quite share your optimism.

Fredrik

Cool! Absolutely loved it on WiiU, I'll buy it again if it doesn't feel like a downgrade without the second screen.

FATALITY

Banned
I wouldn't say mediocre, but way less interesting, way less tense, just overall a lessened experience with out the 2nd screen features. I've got no interest in playing it again with out those features.

the 2nd screen features was the worst thing about this game on wii u.
hell everything related to that gamepad is garbage.
Edit:the second screen feature is pretty cool tho but thats about it
but that is just my opinion

Fisty

I mean, did you play the game? Ubisoft rushed it out with some serious bugs and sorely lacking graphical polish and this port will likely be a rush job, given how they treated the initial release and given that it's, you know, Ubisoft, so I for one can see it as a bad thing and don't quite share your optimism.

Well it was a launch title, and given that they probably want to make a franchise out of it (like every game they make), they should take this port very seriously. The port has also been rumored for a very long time as well, so hopefully theyve put some time and care into it.

Who am I kidding, this is Ubisoft

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Dead Space had you look away from the TV and back? Didn't know that.

How much time did you spend in your backpack? You don't have peripheral vision?

The amount of "tension" having to glance at a second screen creates is so exaggerated. How often do you even rummage through inventory in a hostile area anyway?

Haunted

Brush up resolution and framerate, keep the heavy post processing that hid many of the graphical shortcomings, improve load times, expand the melee combat system and you've got a real winner even a couple years after the initial release.

Anth0ny

but i thought this game needed the gamepad to work

they can't just PATCH in pro controller support, they told me

zma1013

How much time did you spend in your backpack? You don't have peripheral vision?

The amount of "tension" having to glance at a second screen creates is so exaggerated. How often do you even rummage through inventory in a hostile area anyway?

I broke that aspect of the game after quickly learning I could just hold the gamepad up so i saw both at the same time, then i wondered why this couldn't just be on the TV screen, then i figured out that it's very easy to find a safe place to open the backpack and i never looked up at the TV again. It's just not that important.

Fisty

I broke that aspect of the game after quickly learning I could just hold the gamepad up so i saw both at the same time, then i wondered why this couldn't just be on the TV screen, then i figured out that it's very easy to find a safe place to open the backpack and i never looked up at the TV again. It's just not that important.

Yeah it just needs a Souls-like inventory menu, if you arent in a safe spot and accessing your inventory, youre either going to die or you are equipping at the speed of light with that same sense of intensity. Gamepad is completely nonessential to the experience.

Played it, beat it, loved it

Im not saying it was perfect man but the base game was quite an achievment in my mind

Melchiah

Most of all, if people says that without this the game is not worth, then we are talking about a VERY bad game.

It doesn't even sound like such a fun gameplay mechanic. I'm personally more interested in the game due to its theme and atmosphere, and its lovely visual style.

jholmes

How much time did you spend in your backpack? ... How often do you even rummage through inventory in a hostile area anyway?

Not often, but that's because the game does so much to discourage that. You put it on as some overlay and the game's gonna play differently.

Played it, beat it, loved it

Im not saying it was perfect man but the base game was quite an achievment in my mind

I agree, I really dug it for what it was and wish Ubisoft put the extra effort into making it all it could've been on Wii U.

If they're porting it to see that vision through that's one thing, but I think given the publisher's track record and the huge amount of time since release this port is happening because they saw easy money and they'll treat it as easy money.

Not often, but that's because the game does so much to discourage that. You put it on as some overlay and the game's gonna play differently.

I agree, I really dug it for what it was and wish Ubisoft put the extra effort into making it all it could've been on Wii U.

If they're porting it to see that vision through that's one thing, but I think given the publisher's track record and the huge amount of time since release this port is happening because they saw easy money and they'll treat it as easy money.

I would still recommend a quick port to someone who hasnt played it if its priced appropriately

If only for people to experience some of the key setpieces, the exploration and the micromanagment

7threst

Why was there a U at the end of the WiiU version anyway? I never understood what that title was trying to say.
The gamepad with its inventory manament and scanning really set it apart. It deserved a U at the end. I wonder how Ubi is going to convince people to buy this on Xbone/PS4.

The gamepad with its inventory manament and scanning really set it apart. It deserved a U at the end. I wonder how Ubi is going to convince people to buy this on Xbone/PS4.

Metroid Prime did scanning just fine without a gamepad (and its the first game I thought of)

As for inventory management? Its a novelty and not one that guaranteed suspense when the player developes good preparations habits when they progress through the game

The gamepad stuff WAS cool but it wasnt what made the game good IMO

Melchiah

I doubt people need much convincing, considering how well the horror games have sold on the platforms so far. At least I hope so. It's a different matter, if they sell it at full price though.

I doubt people need much convincing, considering how well the horror games have sold on the platforms so far. At least I hope so. It's a different matter, if they sell it at full price though.

If its full price I am expecting one hell of a remake with some significant content additions

On Wii U a lot of people complained about the boring melee combat with the single weapon and the simplistic timing. I wonder if that aspect of the game will be improved a bit with a bit more variety or weapon choices on X1/PS4. Everything else about it was pretty intense and was one of the few games to make me say "holy shit" out loud out of fear.

On Wii U a lot of people complained about the boring melee combat with the single weapon and the simplistic timing. I wonder if that aspect of the game will be improved a bit with a bit more variety or weapon choices on X1/PS4. Everything else about it was pretty intense and was one of the few games to make me say "holy shit" out loud out of fear.

yeah

Melee is really only meant as a last resort but unfortunately the game throws the player in deep water in the beginning.

If you dont ration from the very start you quickly become reliant on the damn bat despite it being very ineffective.

I dont think the cricket bat was meant to be anything but a last resort by design and on subsequent playthroughs it does get easier to maintain a decent inventory of ammo if you know where to go and what to look for.

Breaking that initial barrier in the game was probably a bit much for a lot of players. I anticipate they wanted players to use stealth and skip most confrontations early on until you scored more weapons....

Top Bottom