• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zoramon089 Rumor: WiiU GPU is a modified Radeon E6760 [AMD: We haven't said anything]

UPDATE: http://gimmegimmegames.com/2012/09/amd-rep-says-wii-u-uses-custom-radeon-e6760-gpu/

I contacted AMD and Phil Hughes (Head of PR Product Team) responded. I asked him whether he could confirm these reports and he told me; “Kevin we can confirm that the Wii U will use AMD graphics but we have not provided any specifics on what silicon they will be using in the upcoming console.”

(Credits to Shokio for posting this link)

http://gimmegimmegames.com/2012/09/amd-rep-says-wii-u-uses-custom-radeon-e6760-gpu/

Basically, people have been mailing AMD and asked them what the GPU in the Wii U is (someone on GAF even did this) and were told the following:

p2NpW.png

Features & Benefits

GPU and memory in one MCM BGA package
Desktop level graphics, multimedia and compute capabilities
480 shader processors
128-bit memory interface with 1 GB GDDR5
Microsoft® DirectX® 11 support
Third generation unified video decoder
Support for H.264, VC-1, MPEG-2/4 decode
Dual HD decode, Blu-ray & stereo 3D
Up to 6 displays with AMD Eyefinity1 technology
AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing (APP)2 technology for supercomputing capabilities
5 year supply with dedicated support3

Obviously, a lot of these things have been gutted, and some adapted for the Wii U if this rumor is true.
Shader processors/GFLOPS/Memory interface might all change for better or worse, decoders are probably lost, eyeinfinity technology adapted for whatever it is Nintendo need the GPU to do to output to multiple Wii U pads and the TV, and so on.

EDIT:

Yeah I got the idea from him but these images are from my inbox. I don't care who gets credit. It's just cool I actually got an answer

Here's the email I sent.
pzVdY.png

More proof. The auto email they sent me when I asked. Just try yourselves

O4aBO.png

people have been mailing AMD and asked them what the GPU in the Wii U is (someone on GAF even did this) and were told the following

Every site gave credit to NeoGAF but was a guy on a spanish forum who published the email.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I literally just went GAF -> Internet -> GAF.

The theory is true.

I know nothing of GPU but at least it puts the worries of DirectX to rest even though that means nothing since this isn't a Microsoft machine.

Hoo-doo

Banned
"Time to admit that the graphics-driven future is not doing so much harm after all" thread by Pramath incoming?

wrowa

It's so strange that AMD support would so easily spill the beans... Why does the support know which GPU is build into the Wii U to begin with? Judging by Nintendo's latest hardware releases, Nintendo doesn't want the hardware specs to ever be released to the public period, so why would AMD tell the support about it?

Meelow

Banned
It's so strange that AMD support would so easily spill the beans... Why does the support know which GPU is build into the Wii U to begin with? Judging by Nintendo's latest hardware releases, Nintendo doesn't want the hardware specs to ever be released to the public period, so why would AMD tell the support about it?

When the Wii U launches that's when we know the final Wii U specs.

Azure J

This and the "I learnt it all through email" aspect of this is bugging me, even if I think that part makes sense for a Wii U like console. Really, I kinda stopped trying to put together anything based on what's there in first gen launch software and ports or what was rumored and am now waiting for the first official teardown.

thuway

Man these threads need to stop. The Wii U couldn't pull off Mass Effect 3 at 1080p. That's all I needed to know.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
DirectX® 11 support <- :eek:

Which doesn't mean anything really for the WiiU besides it will have similar abilities via OpenGL or whatever offshoot they might be using.

My foot could have DirectX 11 support but it isn't going to matter if it isn't running on a Windows or Xbox platform.

Azure J

Probably circa. 1997, late 1998 in the absolute best case scenario.

Nintendo is just that cheap it's terrible I know.

Cut the crap, you know this is just another 1985 part when you take all the enhancements away. This fucking company will never learn.

Ponn

Banned
I don't see a "potentially" or youtube video link in that screencap from an email so I would only rate that as quarter solid.

The shit we accept for journalism and confirmations nowadays. I bet kotaku and IGN are kicking themselves right now. People have been hunting for Wii-U specs for over a year and all they had to was email tech support.

Top Bottom