• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

An analysis of officially supported regions by Steam, Xbox, PlayStation, and Nintendo (56K Warning)

LakeOf9

With this being at the centre of the Helldivers 2 controversy I became curious about how the global coverage of platform holders accounts and networks varies. We've seen Steam is obviously very global, and we know the console manufacturers struggle with having a global reach.

But this is an extremely simple thing to support in the end. This is not me looking at how many countries allow you to purchase from their digital stores, this is not me looking at official warranty support, none of that. We are in a global digital economy where digital products are sold globally - so account restrictions being imposed should at least support the option to make your account from most countries around the world.

For this analysis, I went to the official account creation pages for Steam, Microsoft, PlayStation, and Nintendo.

The results are very surprising:

STEAM
Screenshot_2024-05-04_at_21.57.02.png
Screenshot_2024-05-04_at_21.56.42.png

Screenshot_2024-05-04_at_21.57.12.png

Screenshot_2024-05-04_at_21.57.21.png

Screenshot_2024-05-04_at_21.57.29.png

Screenshot_2024-05-04_at_21.57.37.png

Screenshot_2024-05-04_at_21.57.55.png

Steam is the most globally successful marketplace and this shows in their list of countries supported. It's absolutely massive, and even includes disputed territories like Western Sahara. There's a reason gamers flock to Steam and love it so much, because it provides real value that other services simply tend not to match.

XBOX
Screenshot_2024-05-04_at_21.55.01.png

Screenshot_2024-05-04_at_22.04.07.png

Screenshot_2024-05-04_at_21.55.16.png

Screenshot_2024-05-04_at_21.55.27.png

Screenshot_2024-05-04_at_21.55.33.png

Screenshot_2024-05-04_at_21.55.45.png

Screenshot_2024-05-04_at_21.55.55.png

Screenshot_2024-05-04_at_21.56.01.png

Screenshot_2024-05-04_at_21.56.14.png

It makes total sense that Microsoft's list is even bigger, because it's Microsoft's list. It turns out you don't make Xbox accounts independent of Microsoft accounts anymore, which means Xbox accounts support all regions that Microsoft does, which is... pretty much the entire world. It's a bigger list than even Valve. Now, what Microsoft does do is not offer services like the Xbox digital store, Game Pass, or even console online play, in a lot of those countries, but it does let you make an officially supported account pretty much anywhere in the world you are, which gives them a big leg up for PC sales and distribution.

PLAYSTATION
Screenshot_2024-05-04_at_21.52.19.png
Screenshot_2024-05-04_at_21.59.31.png

Screenshot_2024-05-04_at_21.52.33.png

This list is a joke, even more after how ridiculously big the previous two were. For all the stanning PlayStation fans do about how it is a "global brand" it is actually shocking how few countries are officially supported for something as basic as setting up an account. I mean what is the point of buying a PS5 without the ability to make an official account on it? I had never realized the PSN list is this bad. it's absurd. It's a joke. Surely Sony has some account infrastructure somewhere that supports more countries that PS can piggyback off of, just like Microsoft did with Xbox. How is this this bad? This feels like an early 2000s list, and I am honestly afraid of seeing Nintendo's list now, because it's going to be even worse, won't it?

NINTENDO
Screenshot_2024-05-04_at_21.49.15.png

Screenshot_2024-05-04_at_21.49.27.png

Screenshot_2024-05-04_at_21.49.38.png

Screenshot_2024-05-04_at_21.50.31.png

Screenshot_2024-05-04_at_21.50.49.png

Screenshot_2024-05-04_at_21.51.02.png

Nope! Somehow, even Nintendo supports more countries officially with the Nintendo Account. Because Nintendo Accounts were used for its mobile games, and because those mobile games were sold in most markets around the world, it turns out that the official list of countries supported for Nintendo Accounts is more than three times as big as the PlayStation one. Like with Xbox, Nintendo simply disables access to services like the eShop in countries where they don't sell their consoles officially, but it allows you to make a Nintendo account from most countries in the world. In the future, hypothetically if Nintendo ever decides to sell multiplayer oriented games (e.g. Pokemon) on Steam, it can still require a Nintendo account and sell it in, like, Malaysia even though the Switch isn't sold there officially.

--

So that's the crux of this. Sony's ancient network infrastructure has finally reached a critical mass of problems where they become very visible and now it is apparent that they really need to overhaul. For a brand that wants to be global and wants to move people into its ecosystem, it is a pretty shocking oversight to not let them into your ecosystem outside of a handful of countries. No other platform holder has this issue, none of them. This problem is uniquely Sony's. And that's why comparing this to Minecraft or Sea of Thieves is so stupid, because Microsoft at least doesn't block you from making the account they ask you to make. Sony does, and they did it after taking money.

Last edited:
With this being at the centre of the Helldivers 2 controversy I became curious about how the global coverage of platform holders accounts and networks varies. We've seen Steam is obviously very global, and we know the console manufacturers struggle with having a global reach.

But this is an extremely simple thing to support in the end. This is not me looking at how many countries allow you to purchase from their digital stores, this is not me looking at official warranty support, none of that. We are in a global digital economy where digital products are sold globally - so account restrictions being imposed should at least support the option to make your account from most countries around the world.

For this analysis, I went to the official account creation pages for Steam, Microsoft, PlayStation, and Nintendo.

The results are very surprising:

STEAM
Screenshot_2024-05-04_at_21.56.42.png

Screenshot_2024-05-04_at_21.57.12.png

Screenshot_2024-05-04_at_21.57.21.png

Screenshot_2024-05-04_at_21.57.29.png

Screenshot_2024-05-04_at_21.57.37.png

Screenshot_2024-05-04_at_21.57.55.png

Steam is the most globally successful marketplace and this shows in their list of countries supported. It's absolutely massive, and even includes disputed territories like Western Sahara. There's a reason gamers flock to Steam and love it so much, because it provides real value that other services simply tend not to match.

XBOX
Screenshot_2024-05-04_at_21.55.01.png

Screenshot_2024-05-04_at_22.04.07.png

Screenshot_2024-05-04_at_21.55.16.png

Screenshot_2024-05-04_at_21.55.27.png

Screenshot_2024-05-04_at_21.55.33.png

Screenshot_2024-05-04_at_21.55.45.png

Screenshot_2024-05-04_at_21.55.55.png

Screenshot_2024-05-04_at_21.56.01.png

Screenshot_2024-05-04_at_21.56.14.png

It makes total sense that Microsoft's list is even bigger, because it's Microsoft's list. It turns out you don't make Xbox accounts independent of Microsoft accounts anymore, which means Xbox accounts support all regions that Microsoft does, which is... pretty much the entire world. It's a bigger list than even Valve. Now, what Microsoft does do is not offer services like the Xbox digital store, Game Pass, or even console online play, in a lot of those countries, but it does let you make an officially supported account pretty much anywhere in the world you are, which gives them a big leg up for PC sales and distribution.

PLAYSTATION
Screenshot_2024-05-04_at_21.59.31.png

Screenshot_2024-05-04_at_21.52.33.png

This list is a joke, even more after how ridiculously big the previous two were. For all the stanning PlayStation fans do about how it is a "global brand" it is actually shocking how few countries are officially supported for something as basic as setting up an account. I mean what is the point of buying a PS5 without the ability to make an official account on it? I had never realized the PSN list is this bad. it's absurd. It's a joke. Surely Sony has some account infrastructure somewhere that supports more countries that PS can piggyback off of, just like Microsoft did with Xbox. How is this this bad? This feels like an early 2000s list, and I am honestly afraid of seeing Nintendo's list now, because it's going to be even worse, won't it?

NINTENDO

Screenshot_2024-05-04_at_21.49.27.png

Screenshot_2024-05-04_at_21.49.38.png

Screenshot_2024-05-04_at_21.50.31.png

Screenshot_2024-05-04_at_21.50.49.png

Screenshot_2024-05-04_at_21.51.02.png

Nope! Somehow, even Nintendo supports more countries officially with the Nintendo Account. Because Nintendo Accounts were used for its mobile games, and because those mobile games were sold in most markets around the world, it turns out that the official list of countries supported for Nintendo Accounts is more than three times as big as the PlayStation one. Like with Xbox, Nintendo simply disables access to services like the eShop in countries where they don't sell their consoles officially, but it allows you to make a Nintendo account from most countries in the world. In the future, hypothetically if Nintendo ever decides to sell multiplayer oriented games (e.g. Pokemon) on Steam, it can still require a Nintendo account and sell it in, like, Malaysia even though the Switch isn't sold there officially.

--

So that's the crux of this. Sony's ancient network infrastructure has finally reached a critical mass of problems where they become very visible and now it is apparent that they really need to overhaul. For a brand that wants to be global and wants to move people into its ecosystem, it is a pretty shocking oversight to not let them into your ecosystem outside of a handful of countries. No other platform holder has this issue, none of them. This problem is uniquely Sony's. And that's why comparing this to Minecraft or Sea of Thieves is so stupid, because Microsoft at least doesn't block you from making the account they ask you to make. Sony does, and they did it after taking money.
Based.

Topher

Gold Member
Where have we heard this before?

From myself and rodrigolfp rodrigolfp when we corrected you when you said Microsoft and Xbox accounts were the same.

We’re now in the land of delusion where Microsoft accounts are not Xbox accounts. It’s he same thing.

Incorrect statement. rodrigolfp rodrigolfp is right.

From Microsoft.....

"You’ll need a Microsoft account to create an Xbox account. A Microsoft account is not the same thing as an Xbox account, although you can use the same email address for both."

Creating an Xbox account is a step after creating a Microsoft account. PlayStation only requires a Microsoft account for Sea of Thieves.

Unless, of course, there was some other time this came up.

Last edited:

LakeOf9

I scrolled through the OP fast and thought the playstation list was just about as long as the Steam / Xbox then did a double take and realized that most of that was Nintendo's list.
Less than Nintendo is an accomplishment.
My mind was blown when I saw that, I had to spend time researching how it is possible before I believed it, because this feels like the sort of thing that no one would believe,

lefty1117

Gold Member
It goes to show how much Microsoft kicks ass on the online services area, and why it's wise for them to concentrate on leveraging that.

nial

Gold Member
For what I know, Sony doesn't support PSN on countries that they don't have any intent in offering the PS Store. Maybe (and hopefully) they're looking to change that.
Kinda off topic, but Nintendo not selling the Switch in Malaysia was a bigger surprise to me. Like, really?

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
I'd really like to know the reason the list of countries supported by PSN is so small. There's obviously workarounds, but no one should have to go through all that.

The biggest problem with that is at some point they'll have a big announcement saying "we now support all these regions!" and somehow forget that - again, for whatever reason - they do not allow you to change the region on your account.

I give Nintendo and Square Enix a lot of crap for their online systems, but under the pretty glossy UI, PlayStation needs a lot of work too.

LakeOf9

For what I know, Sony doesn't support PSN on countries that they don't have any intent in offering the PS Store. Maybe (and hopefully) they're looking to change that.
Kinda off topic, but Nintendo not selling the Switch in Malaysia was a bigger surprise to me. Like, really?
Sorry I had meant to write Indonesia, they sell Switch in Malaysia (but eShop and their online service aren't supported there).

nial

Gold Member
Sorry I had meant to write Indonesia, they sell Switch in Malaysia (but eShop and their online service aren't supported there).
Indonesia is as weird, more so if they actually sell it in other East Asian countries. :messenger_dizzy:

feynoob

Great list OP.
MS is understandable with PC market. Nintendo with Mobile and Steam with PC.

Sony needs to realize that PC isnt a console. You have countries which dont have enough console support and cant use PSN.

Fahdis

*Sony sees thread*
Alright everyone, it seems like the jig is up and we can't blame hackers this time... Pull it.
*PSN goes down for a month... again*

This has been an issue with Sony forever. Also, these fuckers have the audacity outside of Konami to have the same prices of Western Regional stores in the East on Steam. I already hate Nintendo for being anti consumer, but I also hate Sony for their incompetence now.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
damn playstation still has the highest revenue even with less supported region.
I guess this means Playstation still has all these potential markets to explore!

angrod14

Even though my country is technically supported by PSN, Sony doesn't issue PSN cards for it. So I prefer using a US account and paying with US PSN Cards. I don't want to enter my CC into their shitty system that gets hacked all the time.

Nintendo also suppossedly supports my country, but no also no Nintendo cards and there isn't even a full digital store. Shit is more barren than an african airport. I just roll with a US account and prepaid US Nintendo Cards. Feels good to be gangsta'.

Three

OP you've misunderstood the Microsoft and xbox account relationship. Microsoft and xbox accounts are not the same. They're akin to SEN and PSN. You need a MS account to create an xbox account.

However xbox account support in countries is not the same as MS account support. Meaning you can have a MS account but it will not grant you access to places that require an xbox account (ie games and profiles) . To see the true list of countries that xbox accounts are supported officially you need to look here:

Notice how much smaller the list is.

Last edited:
OP you've misunderstood the Microsoft and xbox account relationship. Microsoft and xbox accounts are not the same. They're akin to SEN and PSN. You need a MS account to create an xbox account.

However xbox account support in countries is not the same as MS account support. Meaning you can have a MS account but it will not grant you access to places that require an xbox account. To see the true list of countries that xbox accounts are supported officially you need to look here:

Morgan Freeman Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

feynoob

However xbox account support in countries is not the same as MS account support. Meaning you can have a MS account but it will not grant you access to places that require an xbox account (ie games and profiles) . To see the true list of countries that xbox accounts are supported officially you need to look here:

So you can use a Microsoft account on places that don't support Xbox right?

Three

So you can use a Microsoft account on places that don't support Xbox right?
Not officially no. You can't for example use an Afghanistan, or Belarus account to do anything xbox related, logging into XGS games, signing into xbox, the xbox app, etc.

feynoob

Not officially no. You can't for example use an Afghanistan, or Belarus account to do anything xbox related, logging into XGS games, signing into xbox, the xbox app, etc.
But you can play Xbox games on steam with those Microsoft accounts right? Same with their games on PC.

Last edited:

LakeOf9

Thanks for correcting! So if you are in a place that Xbox doesn't support but MS account does, you can't play Sea of Thieves or Halo MCC on Steam (as an example)?

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Its been like this since PS3 era. I am shock people are just finding this out.

StereoVsn

This is great job summarizing the supported countries by OP and illustrates how insanely dumb Sony’s PSN requirement was.

Oh and even in some supposedly supported regions like Ukraine you apparently can only create an account on an actual console.

But no, only “PC Crybabies” are complaining about Helldivers 2 situation.

Last edited:
I remember when MS considered my country second tier with the launch of the Xbox one. And none of its TV features ever ended up working.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
From myself and rodrigolfp rodrigolfp when we corrected you when you said Microsoft and Xbox accounts were the same.

Bro really pulling up like Vegeta.
01359d3fb832fe797ca90e38b5382c4e.jpg

This is false.
Im originally from Zambia and one of accounts is "Zambian"....it has no issues working with pretty much everything Xbox related......I legit havent found something it cant do, im sure theres something but I just havent found it as its not my main account.
I know early in the X360 era XBL accounts couldnt even be registered in Zambia you had to pick another country entirely, but i think MS became more lax once the console stopped being region locked.

Thanks for correcting! So if you are in a place that Xbox doesn't support but MS account does, you can't play Sea of Thieves or Halo MCC on Steam (as an example)?
No.
You can totally still play Sea of Thieves or Halo with anaccount atleast from many of the unsupported African countries.

Zambia an unsupported country which probably has like 10 Xboxes accross all the generations even has its own most played list.

Yoboman

Hey hey, copy pasting a list of country names into a drop down box in the sign up form and adding a store region blocker is hard. This could take Sony decades to change

Three

This is false.
Im originally from Zambia and one of accounts is "Zambian"....it has no issues working with pretty much everything Xbox related......I legit havent found something it cant do, im sure theres something but I just havent found it as its not my main account.
I know early in the X360 era XBL accounts couldnt even be registered in Zambia you had to pick another country entirely, but i think MS became more lax once the console stopped being region locked.

No.
You can totally still play Sea of Thieves or Halo with anaccount atleast from many of the unsupported African countries.

Zambia an unsupported country which probably has like 10 Xboxes accross all the generations even has its own most played list.

Not officially, It defaults as if you created an xbox account in another region but if you try to get support for anything they will say it's an unsupported region that you're not officially meant to be using. It's much the same as a PSN user in an unsupported country signing up for a US account. They both don't stop you from doing anything (except making purchases) but officially you're an unsupported country. You're not meant to have an xbox/PSN profile from there.

Field

Correct me if wrong but Playstation is also the only service out of those that does not allow you to change country of your account.

daclynk

giphy.gif

Sony stans will defend it no matter what. Either way, helldiver 2 is small compare to when Minecraft got bought by ms. How did ms didn’t get eat up like this? I assume it just worked no matter where you was at. Cause don’t you have to have a ms account for Minecraft no matter what platform you on??

Last edited:
You guys work fast in finding new battlefronts to wage war
It is healthy for consumers to complain. Licking the boots of the company you buy things from had historically lead to bad products.

Case in point: Nintendo fans had never ever stopped complaining.

If companies don't know what you don't like, how would they avoid them? Giving awards to CEOs doesn't make them better CEOs.

Last edited:

AmuroChan

Great list OP.
MS is understandable with PC market. Nintendo with Mobile and Steam with PC.

Sony needs to realize that PC isnt a console. You have countries which dont have enough console support and cant use PSN.

Native support and being accessible are two different things. There's no native support for PSN in the Philippines, but I can access PSN just fine using my US or HK PSN account.

Last edited:
It is healthy for consumers to complain. Licking the boots of the company you buy things from had historically lead to bad products.

Case in point: Nintendo fans had never ever stopped complaining.

If companies don't know what you don't like, how would they avoid them? Giving awards to CEOs doesn't make them better CEOs.

Who's licking boots?

AmuroChan

List looks incorrect or outdated because there's literally a PSN Trophy Leaderboard for Chinese PSN users on PSNProfiles. Also, we know for a fact that multiple Chinese devs are working on PS5 games via the China Hero Project. How the hell would Chinese PS5 gamers be able to download games, get patches, and sync trophies if PSN isn't accessible there? You can also buy Chinese region PS5 games on retailers like PlayAsia and YesAsia.

StereoVsn

Sony stans will defend it no matter what. Either way, helldiver 2 is small compare to when Minecraft got bought by ms. How did ms didn’t get eat up like this? I assume it just worked no matter where you was at. Cause don’t you have to have a ms account for Minecraft no matter what platform you on??
Nit sure if you do for Java edition. However MS account is available everywhere, you don’t need facial scan/picture ID or a console to create it and most people have it anyways due to Windows.

Plus there was already a Minecraft account requirement that folks had to use.

Anyone who said consumers shouldn't complain.

By all means, make your voice heard. it doesn't matter how minor other people said your complaint was, if you have an issue you should voice it. It leads to better products.

Yeah I get what your saying on a broad level, but I wasn't really asking that. My post was basically a drive-by poking fun at list wars on GAF yet you have somehow inferred from that I'm a boot-licker. You wouldn't have replied to it as such if you wasn't insinuating that, so I'm just genuinely curious how you got to that conclusion. The boot-licker term is anywhere and everywhere on GAF these days.

Top Bottom