• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrowhead Studios confirm PSN Account Requirement decision was on Sony - Game received over 15,000 negative reviews and is now 'Mixed' on Steam

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
It's not that simple, and the inclusion hasn't even taken place.

As i said they were looking into solutions and they came back with the decision not to move forward, they had time and everyone lost their minds.

If you truly believe people acting like this over a video game is rational i feel sorry for you.

Regardless, my whole argument was for them to just act less insane.

The fact that you feel this is irrational makes me feel sorry for you. Must be a sad life to go to this level of delusion to try and claim these people are insane. Anything for the console war, eh?

tmlDan

The fact that you feel this is irrational makes me feel sorry for you. Must be a sad life to go to this level of delusion to try and claim these people are insane. Anything for the console war, eh?
what are you talking about? you think its okay to have a complete mental breakdown over a video game? something as small as a PSN log-in that likely doesn't affect you? jfc humanity is lost

Sony tried to sabotage this game on purpose, Helldivers fans are the not the audience and the image they want to cultivate for their brand.

The same thing is why what happened to Stellar Blade happened, the "wrong" people are getting behind it, so they want to sink it, these companies are willing to lose a lot of money to forward agendas.

Thankfully, they got cold feet when the outcry was this big, but never forget, the industry in the west is run by people who actively hate you.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
what are you talking about? you think its okay to have a complete mental breakdown over a video game? something as small as a PSN log-in that likely doesn't affect you? jfc humanity is lost

No one is having a “complete mental breakdown” outside of you and your delusional responses in trying to defend Sony in this thread.

Asking for Refunds is rational. Making a review stating the issues with the game currently on steam is also rational.

Trying to claim these people are insane, childish, and having mental breakdowns? That is irrational.

Do better, mate.

tmlDan

No one is having a “complete mental breakdown” outside of you and your delusional responses in trying to defend Sony in this thread.

Asking for Refunds is rational. Making a review stating the issues with the game currently on steam is also rational.

Trying to claim these people are insane, childish, and having mental breakdowns? That is irrational.

Do better, mate.
have you seen people? they spent their entire day and waking hour complaining online in the discord.

You do better, find additional hobbies maybe

Three

Mate, I am not the one supposedly stalking a discord to count how long certain users are “complaining”.

Here, use this and seek some professional help: https://gprivate.com/5yh1s
"Stalking discord and counting replies" . Such a rational response and not dramatic at all.

That’s just Epic trying to lure people in because their storefront and launcher is a failure. It’s okay to let corporations think it’ll work. But it doesn’t work.
I mean yes obviously they want the store to be successful but you asked if it benefited gamers in any way. It benefited them. Gamers were literally getting free games to play.

MiguelItUp

Wow, I'm surprised they shifted honestly. Especially if all they wanted to do was create a more "cohesive" PSN experience for their PC games. I actually thought it would've been pretty cool. Really curious to see what they do now. Because without accounts there's no way to link accounts, trophies, etc. I guess they could just make it an option as opposed to being a requirement.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
First tweet on Monday by Sony:

4003b6fa2d8009d41b368f0cb3eb5483

tmlDan

Wow, I'm surprised they shifted honestly. Especially if all they wanted to do was create a more "cohesive" PSN experience for their PC games. I actually thought it would've been pretty cool. Really curious to see what they do now. Because without accounts there's no way to link accounts, trophies, etc. I guess they could just make it an option as opposed to being a requirement.
They'll have to work on getting PSN available globally (in 90% of countries, at least) first before they do something like this again.

When they do, everyone won't care - especially if it's working and forced at launch like almost every other game.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
That would have been the smart thing to do at the outset. Sadly, Sony isn’t that intelligent.

good for them, i suppose. not that it would've been a big deal to sign up for psn. but hey i guess it saves pc gamers an additional login to worry about.
The issue was less having to sign up and more that many countries don’t allow PSN. Leading to being forced to break the TOS and risk getting banned.

MiguelItUp

They'll have to work on getting PSN available globally (in 90% of countries, at least) first before they do something like this again.

When they do, everyone won't care - especially if it's working and forced at launch like almost every other game.
Yeah, honestly it's something that should've been done in the first place before disbarring some players.

I don't know if I'd saying "everyone won't care", I'm sure many still will.

tmlDan

Yeah, honestly it's something that should've been done in the first place before disbarring some players.

I don't know if I'd saying "everyone won't care", I'm sure many still will.
oh, they'll remember this moment and come back with similar complaints but a lesser argument. This whole debacle will make it harder for them to do it in future online games.

DrFigs

The issue was less having to sign up and more that many countries don’t allow PSN. Leading to being forced to break the TOS and risk getting banned.
Well I'm not going to rehash the arguments, since clearly the people with concerns won out. My opinion was that reversing the policy (or at least putting it on pause) was the easy and correct solution given the game was being pulled from many regions.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Well I'm not going to rehash the arguments, since clearly the people with concerns won out. My opinion was that reversing the policy (or at least putting it on pause) was the easy and correct solution given the game was being pulled from many regions.
As they rightfully should.

This still doesn’t make Sony the “good guys” for going back on this, but its a step in the right direction. Just make it optional now and tie a quick PS cape or something as a cosmetic reward for using the service.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Huh? Didn’t see that coming. Democracy actually won! 👏👏
Not just democracy. But fast democracy.

This whole debacle started and solved in 72 hours.

But when you got a bunch of money on the line through refund offers and delistments from 177 countries, amazing how it makes any corporation act fast.... even on a weekend! You even got Sony doing a tweet at midnight.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Not just democracy. But fast democracy.

This whole debacle started and solved in 72 hours.

But when you got a bunch of money on the line through refund offers and delistments from 177 countries, amazing how it makes any corporation act fast.... even on a weekend! You even got Sony doing a tweet at midnight.
I don’t think I’ve seen Sony do the ”We hear you” talk before though. Maybe it’s because they’re a fairly new player in PC space. It’ll be interesting to see how they’ll do stuff going forward in coming releases. Will they require a PSN account in Ghost of Tsushima?

Last edited:
Honestly Sony royally fucked this up. People are going to be on hyper alert now for PSN requirements or any changes to how the accounts operate. I linked my account for a Miles Morales skin I never even used, probably plenty of people did and would have prior to this, but any move by them now is gonna be under scrutiny.
They should have just tied the PSN account in helldivers to a cool skin or ability.
It is also might make people cautious due not may realizing that PSN is not available worldwide. People have always assumed that it is available everywhere as it has never been an issue.

near

Gold Member
Positive decision. Now reverse region locking purchases via Steam and that’s a win for everyone.

Fabieter

Corporate protection at its finest

Pretty funny if you think about it that big influencer are just like cooperations. Those people aint you friends and they do everything for engagement and money

Btw. I called it multiple times yesterday that they gonna completely drop it, seems I was right ;).

Riot still made a bad decision which makes your entire gaming experience worse and almost no one on the internet cared. Selective outrage at its finest.

Last edited:

feynoob

Pretty funny if you think about it that big influencer are just like cooperations. Those people aint you friends and they do everything for engagement and money

Btw. I called it multiple times yesterday that they gonna completely drop it, seems I was right ;).

Riot still made a bad decision which makes your entire gaming experience worse and almost no one on the internet cared. Selective outrage at its finest.
Riot are tencent and nobody cares about them

Fabieter

Check who owns them and where that company resides in.

It's easier for you to bring them without a context.

Tencent owning them makes vanguard far worse than this helldivers 2 debacle. But I get it the emphaty just goes as far as your hate for specific company ;).

feynoob

Tencent owning them makes vanguard far worse than this helldivers 2 debacle. But I get it the emphaty just goes as far as your hate for specific company ;).
It's not like tencent is a Chinese company that doesn't give a crap about anything.

Whatever floats your boat my friend.

Fabieter

It's not like tencent is a Chinese company that doesn't give a crap about anything.

Whatever floats your boat my friend.

Nice excuse for not carrying about other people. Like I said many many time this weekend selective outrage at its finest. If all people in the west would stop playing league tencent would care but they did eat it up from the cooperation.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
And This is why PC players are the way they are. These are the extremes you have to sadly go to to stop these companies from fucking around with unneeded shit.

PC gaming wins again from being whiny botches. It's fucked up but it clearly works.

Sony admitted defeat.

STARSBarry

Gold Member

OK here's my idea, they make a cool reward for people who sign up that is PlayStation themed.

A set of 3 armors based on other PlayStation Brands, one based on Helgast from Killzone, One that looks like a futuristic ghost of Tushima outfit... and because it's recent and also involves someone dropping in from Orbit a stella blade outfit.

That way people will want to sign up for the armor sets and enter the PSN shared ecosystem out of choice, and those that don't can continue to play without being effected.

You give people a carrot not a stick.

Fabieter

And This is why PC players are the way they are. These are the extremes you have to sadly go to to stop these companies from fucking around with unneeded shit.

PC gaming wins again from being whiny botches. It's fucked up but it clearly works.

Sony admitted defeat.

Do you think sony will drop all psn requirements and just stay completely third party on pc?

They will communicate it better next time so people will have no real legitimate way to refund and to complain.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Do you think sony will drop all psn requirements and just stay completely third party on pc?

They will communicate it better next time so people will have no real legitimate way to refund and to complain.

People are dumb, all you need to do is incentivise something without forcing it. Include some perks and people will happily sign up to whatever service they wish for.

The secret is, like anything in this world. You have to make the person think they've signed up through their own decision and they have also "won" out from the transaction.

Don't tell people they must sign up...

"Sign up and receive this perk/item, have all your accounts sync up across devices with cross progression/account progression and receive 1000 free space bucks to buy imaginary shit with"

Simples lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom