• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Extas1s: Game Pass is set to introduce new tiers

djjinx2

Give me some CoD Battle Pass and skins as part of the new tier and I'm in. (I will need more than this but still, they will be adding more benefits as we have heard)

DKPOWPOW

I wonder how high they gonna go, and how much they are gonna nerf the 2nd tier. Hard to tell if they'll keep the Ultimate namesake for the top tier or just rename entirely.

I can see GamePass starting to look a lot like Sony's PSPlus. But the intentions for both are the same, with Sony gobbling up numerous media companies and M$ doing massive purchases in the game industry.

Unfortunately it's looking like most avenues of entertainment are being consolidated even more so than they were before.

And whatever Top tier GP tier is gonna be $25-$40 a month. Knowing M$ they will try to get a bundle going with a streaming service like Amazon or Netflix to give a perception of value.

Starting to feel like this is gonna be the last "typical" console generation.

5 years ain't far away, and M$ is already starting the push for all Digital, Cloud Gaming. Their app/streaming box is inevitably coming. Sony been making moves, and Nintendo's own beat would lead to a road where they want to tinker with VR/AR.

NickFire

Give me some CoD Battle Pass and skins as part of the new tier and I'm in. (I will need more than this but still, they will be adding more benefits as we have heard)
You want Battle Pass, Battle Pass deluxe (tier skips), or Blackcell?

I could see them including Battle Pass. Maybe the deluxe with tier skips. But Blackcell is probably a stretch. That costs $30 per season, and you cannot use in game currency. Only cash.

SoloCamo

Is there nothing sacred anymore? Literally everything in life is turning into a subscription... Game Pass is the only subcription besides Prime that I use and it's looking like GP is going to be getting a cut soon.

Last edited:

Ev1L AuRoN

We can always trust Microsoft to take the shittier path.

COD day 1 on GP and lose a ton no money (Great for consumers, awful for Microsoft)

or

NO COD on GP and piss their base (Great for Microsoft, shitty for consumers)

or

COD day 1 with a price hike or a more expensive tier. (Shitty for both consumers and Microsoft)

XXL

Y4PbyTR.png
"Tiers" is plural.

Kssio_Aug

Game pass is the biggest crap of this industry. The long term plan is simple: pay a full Game per month to rent games. Thx God Ms is struggling if they lead this industry we are fucked.
For me it saved a lot of money.

I Dont Care Whatever GIF

And since no one is forced to subscribe, as soon as it is no longer worth it, or if a month is too dry, we can just, you know... Not pay another month.

Shocked Episode 2 GIF by Friends

That being said I don't agree at all its the biggest crap in the industry. In fact, I think currently it's pretty damn good.

Last edited:

Iced Arcade

on shit I feel like onQ123! I can go back and screenshot myself multiple times saying this was going to happen (I'm not though, links instead lol)

Last edited:
Oh, fuck off.

Always some new exploitative trash in gaming.
Who is being exploited? Me? I keep hearing all these ppl on GAF saying they Gamepass can't possibly be profitable bc they are giving away too much for too low of a price?

If I can choose between GP ultimate right now for $17 a month or a higher tier that includes COD and more for $2 or $3 more I'm very happy to upgrade to that option. Nobody is being forced to buy anything so calm down with the "exploitative" BS, Karl.

Mobilemofo

Said a while ago this is the most likely outcome. Wack cod on a new 'top tier', and away you go. Gotta get some of that 70 billion back. 😅

i dont think people are even aware that the current tier system has their core tier not even include game pass - just xbox live and like 30 of the most popular titles that may get rotated now and again.

The second tier is xbox game pass and the the third is xbox + pc gamepass. I honestly dont get whats confusing about this. If they are simplifying it, i hope they get rid of the middle or lowest tier or just keep that tier at the same price but either phase out the middling one without PC and just have a two tier system.

Arachnid

Who is being exploited? Me? I keep hearing all these ppl on GAF saying they Gamepass can't possibly be profitable bc they are giving away too much for too low of a price?

If I can choose between GP ultimate right now for $17 a month or a higher tier that includes COD and more for $2 or $3 more I'm very happy to upgrade to that option. Nobody is being forced to buy anything so calm down with the "exploitative" BS, Karl.
tkzYKbd.jpg

Sorcerer

At this point just buy the game. Nice way to finally put the nail in the coffin. 30 a month is getting crazy. I wonder if people just buying it on PlayStation is enough for Microsoft?

I always thought a 3 tier system makes more sense. Also, just rename it to Bronze, Silver and Gold.

Tier 1 - Game Pass Bronze (Game Pass Core)
Tier 2 - Game Pass Silver (Game Pass Ultimate with 1st Party games releasing after sometime in Game Pass Catalogue)
Tier 3 - Game Pass Gold (Game Pass Ultimate we have now)
I'll take Tier 4 - No Game Pass for me ever again

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Carl on Duty Tier 69/420.

Blaze one now to spark up the price to $24.99.

#IFailedNoNutNovember

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
- Kakuto Chojin ad tier. No CoD. Babies screaming in background. Cursing equals instant ban and you lose your Xbox games forever.

- Master Chief tier: No CoD, No ads. Cursing not reported as quickly. No screaming babies.

- Ultimate Uncle Phil Tier: Includes CoD. Full on cursing and hateful comments allowed.

- Adamsapple God Tier: Everything. A.I. handles all of your cursing/hateful comments for you. Phil fixes your busted $200 Elite controller every four months. Your photo on Phil’s shelf.

Last edited:

Sorcerer

Let's see how this turns out lol

i dont think people are even aware that the current tier system has their core tier not even include game pass - just xbox live and like 30 of the most popular titles that may get rotated now and again.

The second tier is xbox game pass and the the third is xbox + pc gamepass. I honestly dont get whats confusing about this. If they are simplifying it, i hope they get rid of the middle or lowest tier or just keep that tier at the same price but either phase out the middling one without PC and just have a two tier system.
Is it true the second tier does not include Live?

Nah not at all. Just saying I have the $2 a month to pay for a more premium product and I don't want some crying poors to ruin that for me. I'm about to get the whole Activision catalog including every new COD and if that shit cost $2 more a month in return I'm all for that trade! I don't need some cry babies ruining that for me. If you don't want it, don't buy it! But don't act like ppl like me who CHOOSE to agree to a transaction are somehow being exploited lol. Dramatic much? Go use your $1200 smartphone or $3k apple laptop to complain about cAPiTiLiSm while you sip a $9 coffee ya goofball

Is it true the second tier does not include Live?
no every version has xbox live. Its just the first tier that only has live.
The other tiers has gamepass xbox + xbox live for tier 2, and then tier 3 has xbox live + game pass xbox + game pass Pc.

as "xbox live" cards have been phased out, its part of every tier

StereoVsn

Yep, that was the only thing that could make it worth putting COD on GamePass Day 1. Mind you, it’s still a terrible idea, as it will produce more bad PR and I doubt you are going to have a rush of people to pay $25-30/month to play a $70 game.

I understand Xbox is scrambling right now to hit numbers for MS…but I can assure you, putting out quality games far outweighs just increasing prices. This seems like a desperate last attempt at making as much money as possible before they bow out of the console realm.

Arachnid

Nah not at all. Just saying I have the $2 a month to pay for a more premium product and I don't want some crying poors to ruin that for me. I'm about to get the whole Activision catalog including every new COD and if that shit cost $2 more a month in return I'm all for that trade! I don't need some cry babies ruining that for me. If you don't want it, don't buy it! But don't act like ppl like me who CHOOSE to agree to a transaction are somehow being exploited lol. Dramatic much? Go use your $1200 smartphone or $3k apple laptop to complain about cAPiTiLiSm while you sip a $9 coffee ya goofball
Cool story, but Phil won't fuck you bro

The value of Game Pass has already tanked since Microsoft continues to refuse to release games. Persona 3 Reload was possibly the peak of Game Pass as a value proposition for me personally, so unless the 360 CODs get added to the tier I’m already paying, I’m unsubbing.

Microsoft really having an all time low year.

no every version has xbox live. Its just the first tier that only has live.
The other tiers has gamepass xbox + xbox live for tier 2, and then tier 3 has xbox live + game pass xbox + game pass Pc.

as "xbox live" cards have been phased out, its part of every tier

Tier 3 also includes EA play.

Top Bottom