• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Extas1s: Game Pass is set to introduce new tiers

Draugoth

Gold Member
Translation:

ksiAk6z.png
The quote i've made didn't show up?

NickFire

Well, on one hand I have assumed that another shoe would be dropping before COD was added to the service Day 1. But I don't know if we should be putting much stock into this claim yet. Predicting a different color console was coming out does not scream credible source with access to inside information IMO.

xrnzaaas

It'll be interesting if they'll move EA games to the (new) top tier as well to cover for their recent price hike.

All in all Game Pass is looking to lose more than gain. People will still play CoD largely on PS and won't start spending money on the top tier of Game Pass.

Last edited:

King Dazzar

I'd have thought 3 tiers is enough. Why not just change pricing on the 3 current ones. And out of those 3, I'd have thought they just change the console and ultimate ones, leaving core as is.

But I'm not MS. All their strategies seem out there these days...

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Ps plus did tiers, and it’s not done. So if you want to compete with that game pass is weeks away from gold, premium and plus tiers and the advantages these provide. If you’re just buying game pass for multiplayer you’re in big trouble.

like a boss mic drop GIF

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Just admit Gamepass isn't viable in its current form and change it.

I don't understand this deep desire they have to sink the entire fucking ship over a single bad decision.

Nydius

You will pay for that COD lost revenue somehow.
I don’t see how a new tier will offset the lost revenue. If it’s a tier above Ultimate that costs more, I doubt enough people will subscribe to it. If it’s a slightly increased Ultimate with a lesser tier below it, they’ll end up grandfathering in the people with stacked Ultimate with a newer renewal date based on the new price - but that won’t immediately turn into new revenue.

They’re going to lose millions of sales regardless and, depending on how this tier situation plays out, they might lose subscribers who feel burned.

MrRibeye

CoD is already chopped up into multiple SKUs with warzone, multiplayer, campaign and zombies.

Warzone has it's own SKU
ghArkioKHQ586DnyhqAT6F.jpg

Campaign has it's own SKU
4lu08f.jpg

MP has it's own SKU
258xW6.jpg

If they give you the new CoD for free, they can chop it up into SKUs like they did with Halo Infinite
PcL0Jf.jpg

or even better (listen here Phil) invent an entirely new paid SKU, which I think would be a smarter move than adding a new tier to game pass

Last edited:

Complistic

I doubt this is legit, but I'm super excited for whenever the ad free tier is announced one day.

Last edited:

RickMasters

I can’t lie…. If they did a tier that included season passes /All DLC for COD, overwatch, fall out 76, Elder scrolls online, Diablo 4, halo infinite, sea of theives and state of decay, forza…. Throw in world of war craft while you at it…. I’d upgrade.

If your gonna add another tier it has to include all the season passes for all their games that use them. Especially their live service games.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I can’t lie…. If they did a tier that included season passes /All DLC for COD, overwatch, fall out 76, Elder scrolls online, Diablo 4, halo infinite, sea of theives and state of decay, forza…. Throw in world of war craft while you at it…. I’d upgrade.

If your gonna add another tier it has to include all the season passes for all their games that use them. Especially their live service games.
I like when people think outside the box when talking about expanding the perks of GP :)

DragonNCM

Increase the price of the ultimate tier since cod is effectively an online game. People can opt the usual no frills gamepass for the actual good games. Having ANOTHER tier/s is beginning to look like a caste system.
I will not agree here with you. I don't give a shit about COD or any other ABK game so I don't like to pay extra for service that I don't use.
They will need to create another tier because they will see a lot of players quitting subscription for ultimate & going back to core & that is money lost.
They can make another tier & they can charge for it as much as they like & I fucking don't care "BUT DONT" touch fucking ultimate.

N30RYU

They gave Xbox fanboys like 3 hours uninhabited gloating, just to rain on the parade.
I'm already being told this is wrong, Xbox doesn't need to raise the price cause PS people buying the game will offset the costs. :pie_eyeroll:
Then I'll do my part not buying it... not that I have ever bought a COD game tho

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

An in pass upgrade option. Wow, such awesomeness. I can’t wait for subscriptions in subscriptions and added dlc. Such greatness

Three

That's actually smart. That way they won't go back on their word regarding all games releasing on Gamepass. They will simply do more tiers and include COD on the most expensive one, lmao.

That's one way to do it for sure.
If they don't include it on ultimate or regular there is going to be a riot. They're more likely to charge people for "play 5 days early and with this skin" on this super tier. As well as possibly a increased price on the lower tiers if they wanted to be true arseholes.

Last edited:

NickFire

If they don't include it on ultimate or regular there is going to be a riot. They're more likely to charge people for "play 5 days early and with this skin" on this super tier. As well as possibly a increased price on the lower tiers if they wanted to be true arseholes.
I doubt there would be much backlash that didn't fizzle out in a day or two. They seem to have effectively mastered the art of breaking bad news through leaks and PR in my opinion.

Look at the decision to expand third party beyond existing games. High level MS people talk about games on more platforms. High level Xbox people do PR casting shade on the obvious interpretations of what was said. Then the personalities go all doom and gloom. Then more PR (we will talk soon followed by just 4 games for now). Then great and unexpected sales results. By the time they announce the big games, most people will have been conditioned to say going all 3rd party is smart and competitors are stupid for not doing it.

Sure looks like the cycle is repeating IMO. Big name media claiming COD in coming to GP. Everyone is talking. Same time rumors starting to percolate that price is going up or tiers get added. Everyone is riled up again. But they still have weeks before the big showcase when we can probably expect to start hearing official plans. By that time they will have most customers saying their plans make sense and are best for everyone.

I couldn't care less about any Activision games except Diablo, and I can buy that once every 10 years. For me, this was always about funding MS. I'd be completely fine with zero Activision games ever coming to GP. I just want Ultimate to stay how it is. The crowd of people into GP playing strange indie games and AA stuff is probably not the same as the CoD audience.
I doubt there would be much backlash that didn't fizzle out in a day or two. They seem to have effectively mastered the art of breaking bad news through leaks and PR in my opinion.

Look at the decision to expand third party beyond existing games. High level MS people talk about games on more platforms. High level Xbox people do PR casting shade on the obvious interpretations of what was said. Then the personalities go all doom and gloom. Then more PR (we will talk soon followed by just 4 games for now). Then great and unexpected sales results. By the time they announce the big games, most people will have been conditioned to say going all 3rd party is smart and competitors are stupid for not doing it.

Sure looks like the cycle is repeating IMO. Big name media claiming COD in coming to GP. Everyone is talking. Same time rumors starting to percolate that price is going up or tiers get added. Everyone is riled up again. But they still have weeks before the big showcase when we can probably expect to start hearing official plans. By that time they will have most customers saying their plans make sense and are best for everyone.
Yep. I think it's just that the Xbox GP audience is not necessarily the Call of Duty audience anyway, so it doesn't really affect much of anything. People just want Ultimate. The Call of Duty people can get the Call of Duty package. Not even really bad news honestly. I'll dabble in an old campaign or two and that's about it if they ever come later.

Last edited:

NickFire

I couldn't care less about any Activision games except Diablo, and I can buy that once every 10 years. For me, this was always about funding MS. I'd be completely fine with zero Activision games ever coming to GP. I just want Ultimate to stay how it is. The crowd of people into GP playing strange indie games and AA stuff is probably not the same as the CoD audience.

Yep. I think it's just that the Xbox GP audience is not necessarily the Call of Duty audience anyway, so it doesn't really affect much of anything. People just want Ultimate. The Call of Duty people can get the Call of Duty package. Not even really bad news honestly. I'll dabble in an old campaign or two and that's about it if they ever come later.
I don't think we should assume the audiences are the same either. But I can't agree that COD on GP won't affect much right now. It might not, but PC is a wildcard IMO. MS might generate a ton more revenue if they can get more people signed up on PC who came only for COD. They also might lose money if people stop spending 70 to buy because they can rent for 30-40 between launch and when they lose interest until the following year.

I suppose Xbox console would be a wildcard too. But PC seems a bigger risk and potential reward to me.

Top Bottom