• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It’s way past time for the corporate bootlicking to stop

Topher

Gold Member
If Steam players had their way they’d pay nothing for games, wait for them to be sold for pennies on some Steam deal, and we’d have a terrible ecosystem where big games are no longer being made

PlayStation players are subsidizing PC HD2 gamers.

Some companies don’t have the luxury of just sitting on storefront profits

More options for competetive pricing is a good thing. Console gamers want good deals as well. Not sure why you think that isn't the case. And the Steam Deck sitting on my desk says your last sentence is factually untrue.

GHG

Some of the responses in this thread are a doozy.

Consumers did the right thing which led to a corporation doing the right thing and some of you are still going in defense of the bone headed corporate decision?

Confused Look To God GIF by Steve Harvey TV

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
The PC gamer faux outrage will guarantee that Nintendo, if they were ever considering PC ports, will now never, ever port their games. Good job guys 👍
It's Nintendo. They never were to begin with and they never will. Either way, switch emulation has been a thing for years at this point.

They just wanted another storefront device.

Your lack of valve games on that steam deck just proves my point
Lack of valve games on Steam deck? My deck has the whole half life franchise, L4D, portal and TF2 among others. They all run well too. tf are you on about?

Valve is reinvesting their storefront funds into a ton of great stuff- free cloud saves, easy VR compatibility, a decent chat and forum community function and a high quality handheld. Even if it's not games, they provide more than enough with what they do with their funds- the deck is the biggest proof of that in years.

Like I said, what soulless CEO are you really? Are you Hiroki Totoki's son?

GHG

What can you do? The need for people to play the game is more than what willing to put up with.

This is why I have zero faith as we move (or are forced) towards a cloud gaming future.

If people think things are bad now they haven't seen anything yet. Per minute tarrifs incoming and you'll have people leaping to defend it because "fun".

Excited Real Housewives GIF

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Oh yeah have fun playing those thirty year old games, I’m talking about new games homey
They are still video games. And 30 years old? Valve existed in the early 90s? Some of these haven't even turned 20 yet. Many of them are some of the most influential games ever made.
Either way, valve games are luckily not the only video games available on PC.

Solidus_T

Anyone who is pro multi-layered authentication/DRM is a corporate bootlicker by default.

I really don't understand how anyone can be ok with it considering we saw what happened to all the GFWL games (even those purchased on Steam) and then more recently what Ubisoft has pulled with the crew. There is always zero benefit to the consumer, it doesn't matter whether it's EA, Ubisoft, Microsoft, or whoever. There are no exceptions and nobody has ever been able to logically explain to me why PC gamers should have to put up with it.

Bunch of cucks really.
I disagree that it has zero benefit to gamers. Sure, it is another layer of DRM which is always annoying, but in online games, these are implemented so that the publisher has a way to keep track of players who break the game online and level a punishment for doing so. This is why COD makes you sign in to an account for every new entry. For a game like Helldivers 2, it is a little bit more complicated since it is a PVE game and cheating isn't something that other players really do against each other, but it still is unfair. Essentially Sony needed a way to prevent people from breaking the game engine or at least find out who was doing it. I'm sure people would have just found a way around the PSN authentication, just like COD, Valorant, etc cheaters have, but that is part of the cat-and-mouse dilemma
It's Nintendo. They never were to begin with and they never will. Either way, switch emulation has been a thing for years at this point.
Even with this, I still think there's a possibility that they will consider PC ports in the future, because PC gaming is rapidly growing and will probably overtake consoles soon. They already made smartphone games.

GHG

Sure, it is another layer of DRM which is always annoying, but in online games, these are implemented so that the publisher has a way to keep track of players who break the game online and level a punishment for doing so. This is why COD makes you sign in to an account for every new entry. For a game like Helldivers 2, it is a little bit more complicated since it is a PVE game and cheating isn't something that other players really do against each other, but it still is unfair. Essentially Sony needed a way to prevent people from breaking the game engine or at least find out who was doing it. I'm sure people would have just found a way around the PSN authentication, just like COD, Valorant, etc cheaters have, but that is part of the cat-and-mouse dilemma

Even with this, I still think there's a possibility that they will consider PC ports in the future, because PC gaming is rapidly growing and will probably overtake consoles soon. They already made smartphone games.

They can do this without needing to make people sign up to their shitty account/service.

Next.

Buggy Loop

They are still video games. And 30 years old? Valve existed in the early 90s? Some of these haven't even turned 20 yet. Many of them are some of the most influential games ever made.

Did you play Half Life Alyx? Best gaming experience in the past decade.

James Sawyer Ford is just thirsty for some Valve love.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member

My whole point was PS+ paying for online represents a huge amount of revenue for Sony and they reinvest that into new games, like Helldivers 2, and generally have razor thin margins

Valve doesn’t charge for online, but they also don’t reinvest in any meaningful way into creating new content for the industry which is why they have massive margins and some of the highest profits per employee in the tech space.

They are sitting on their moat and milking it off the backs of other game developers.

So before you criticize a business decision that brings more content to the table, let’s not forget the dystopian hellscape that would exist if Steam were the only platform around. It would be a shovelware nightmare

Topher

Gold Member
They just wanted another storefront device.

Your lack of valve games on that steam deck just proves my point

I've said many times that Valve needs to make more games. So no Valve ain't perfect and there are some things that Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony do better.

As far as Steam Deck, I'll let your praise of PlayStation Portal apply to Steam Deck as well....

Yup, nailed it

I think this is a good product for those that prefer playing handhelds at home in any room IF they nail the latency aspect

It’s simply giving people more choice with a damn good ps5 console handheld experience at home.

Why the hate for more options? Sony was never going to invest in a legit local handheld again

Because it doesn't effect them that much.
Yeah, the entire thing missed them because they are in a closed system and nothing changed for them. But they made the mistake of assuming "because it didn't matter to ME, that means it didn't matter to ANYONE ELSE", and the worst of it is that instead of staying neutral they want to defend Sony.

Unknown?

If nothing else, the Helldivers fiasco only reinforced my love of my platform of choice - Steam.

Consumer friendly and consumer first features are the real winners today. Having a storefront that allows verified purchase user reviews and a generous refund policy really helped tip the scales in the consumer's favor this time.
Consumer friendly and only sells a license to the software? Hahaha, no!

bender

What time is it?
Pretty much how I feel about it. The fact that Valve gives their customers a loud and powerful voice is a good thing. We had 10s of thousands of PC gamers voice their displeasure over this whole fiasco and in doing so they were able to get a satisfactory resolution.

Along the way, Sony learned some valuable lessons. Primarily, Carrot > Stick

A case studio on the power of community would be fascinating and the aftermath of all this will be interesting (review bomb reversal, Sony's next moves, etc.).

My favorite part of all this was the some of the responses to Sony's tweet of "we are listening to you and still trying to navigate the PC market" with something akin to this:

Not because the petty and cynical vocal minorities give me more reasons to want every human dead, but anything that makes me think of Bill Hicks makes me happy.

nikos

I'm on neither side.

Couldn't care less about corporations but also can't relate to people crying over stupid shit like having to create an account to access a service, always online, cosmetics being sold in games, etc.

If gaming has outgrown you, find a different hobby or stick to retro platforms.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
I've said many times that Valve needs to make more games. So no Valve ain't perfect and there are some things that Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony do better.

As far as Steam Deck, I'll let your praise of PlayStation Portal apply to Steam Deck as well....

I’m not against Steam Deck, but it’s an item that doesn’t require major investment to develop, unlike a typical AAA game

I want Valve to make ambitious games again

Last edited:

tmlDan

Why is Sony always the one you guys go after, you said corporate bootlicking but you literally lick all their asses but when Sony does something you cry like bitches.

If you want to take a stand stop being biased, hold them all accountable.

Like it's really tiring that people go after the company that provides games that are complete and running well 99% of the time yet they get categorized as the same as the rest in this OP.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
it’s an item that doesn’t require major investment to develop
I don't know man, having a handheld PC that's capable of running Cyberpunk without melting sure sounds like some effort was made.

I agree on the part about Valve making more games, sure sucks that they don't anymore.

Hell, the very same happened to Epic. I would kill (not really) for a new Unreal game, developed in-house and making use of all the tech available in UE5. But they got Fortnite, just like Valve has Steam.

Last edited:

nikos

Some people would rather fight against their hobby going to shit rather than look for a new one.

I wouldn't constitute anything I mentioned as a hobby "going to shit" but that's where opinions differ.

I like buying cosmetic items and having an account that binds them, progress, etc. to multiple platforms.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
If gaming has outgrown you, find a different hobby or stick to retro platforms.
I feel like there are some people on this board who should be forced out of gaming regardless of if they've outgrown it or not.

Corporate warriors are not gamers.
Valve doesn’t charge for online, but they also don’t reinvest in any meaningful way into creating new content for the industry which is why they have massive margins and some of the highest profits per employee in the tech space.
OK. And Xbox was the first to enforce paid online.

That alone should already let you know that paid online doesn't suddenly guarantee you good games.

My point bringing up the steam deck is that Valve does invest their storefront money into other great things that keeps the experience good and keeps money coming in.

Yeah they make less games. They've still compensated for that in their own way and I'm honestly more excited to see what hardware provider Valve has to offer.

Kataploom

Gold Member
IDK, some of you think keeping games at full price is abuse or whatever, I want cheaper games but I understand why that happens and will always try and explain it... Some call that "corporate bootlicking" but it's just understanding reality, this applies mostly to Nintendo but FROM, Square Enix, and even Bethesda (previously with Skyrim) do so, and I don't see that as if they beat our mothers like some of you lol

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
James Sawyer Ford James Sawyer Ford , your Sony fanboy posts are tiresome to read. Why you're making this a PC vs PlayStation thread is beyond me. Go take a nap or something.

This is a corporate boot licking thread, and it seems like there’s plenty of dissent to go around for all platforms in their own way.

Its not a pc vs PlayStation set of commentary, Sony clearly was stupid with how they handled HD2

My point, if you could read, is that there are far more egregious concerns in the industry than this whole HD2 log in required nothing burger

Last edited:

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
My point bringing up the steam deck is that Valve does invest their storefront money into other great things that keeps the experience good and keeps money coming in.

They don’t do anywhere near enough, they have massive profitability off a storefront and could otherwise be reinvesting more meaningfully into the industry we enjoy

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I wouldn't constitute anything I mentioned as a hobby "going to shit" but that's where opinions differ.

I like buying cosmetic items and having an account that binds them, progress, etc. to multiple platforms.
Ok. So let it be optional. Like what Sony decided to do after the backlash.

Now people who want progress synced on PS and PC can have that and people who don't aren't forced into it. There's a reason this answer is always given- its literally the best case scenario

poodaddy

I bought a Large Screen TV, Fridge, Washer and Dryer at the same time, all manufactured in South Korea, It's been 3 years and these are the worst appliances I've ever owned. Expensive with parts that are already wearing out.
My tongue is off the Samsung boot.
As someone who just bought high end Samsung appliances to include a washer, dryer, and a dishwasher.....you have me worried.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
reinvesting more meaningfully into the industry we enjoy
That doesn't have to only mean "by making new games".

They invest on their storefront, Steam, which imo has improved the PC game space by a lot.

You've ever used it? Stuff like how easy it is to get a refund, all the mods integrated into the game's workshop just 1 click away from being added to your game, cloud saves, family sharing, constant sales, and many more shit I'm too lazy to come up with right now.

Last edited:

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
That doesn't have to only mean "by making new games".

They invest on their storefront, Steam, which imo has improved the PC game space by a lot.

You've ever used it? Stuff like how easy it is to get a refund, all the mods integrated into the game's workshop just 1 click away from being added to your game, cloud saves, family sharing, constant sales, and many more shit I'm too lazy to come up with right now.

I play games, I don’t particularly care about playing storefronts.

They could have the most basic store imaginable and I’d take that if it meant a new half life or portal type title

Last edited:
Top Bottom