• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's a goddamn shame that Monolith Prod abandoned LOTR to make a Wonder Woman game

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I reinstalled Shadow of War over the weekend and it’s such a fun game. The story is so dumb that I completely forgot what it was about but it doesn’t matter because it barely gets in the way. Just running around Mordor, brutally murdering Orcs, taking over the castles, and fucking with the Nemesis System™️ is so fun. It still looks nice and has a high res texture DLC, flawless 4k/120 fps too.

614CF9300723825B678AC5149171BD691A80FB94

The license must be pretty cheap judging by the slop that has come out with the LOTR name attached the last few years, so what gives? Instead we get...... Wonder Woman? Who asked for that? Even if they wanted to move on from LOTR there are literally dozens of other inexpensive IP that would've been a more logical choice. I will probably play their WW game just because I like the devs but goddamn it's a bummer.

Last edited:

Denorion

Neo Member
To be fair, Shadow of War had a pretty definitive ending, I guess they thought they had nowhere else to go with it.
At the very least, they are adapting their gameplay style to a new ip, instead of doing something stupid, like I dunno, doing a looter shooter sequel where you kill beloved LOTR characters "Uruk-Hai: Kill the Fellowship of the Ring"

Last edited:

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Shadow of War was so insanely fun. I think a superhero game really makes sense for the Nemesis system (and it was originally made for a Dark Knight game, right?), but I'm likewise disappointed they're working on Wonder Woman. Maybe when they show off gameplay it'll end up looking super interesting, but even though I haven't played any Marvel or DC games more recent than Arkham Knight, I'm still so burnt out on all the superhero titles coming out.

simpatico

Monolith seems to have chosen the same fate as Arkane and Rocksteady. We will always remember the good times. Blood, NOLF, FEAR, Condemned and sure LotR. Taken out by a fucking Wonder Woman game. What the fuck are we even doing boys?

00_Zer0

Monolith seems to have chosen the same fate as Arkane and Rocksteady. We will always remember the good times. Blood, NOLF, FEAR, Condemned and sure LotR. Taken out by a fucking Wonder Woman game. What the fuck are we even doing boys?
Even if it's better than recent super hero games, without all the gaas or woke nonsense I believe the game will fail to make traction. I mean who in 2024 is asking for a Wonder Woman game? Good game or not I believe it will suffer the same fate as all the other more recent games like Gotham Knights, and Suicide Squad. Look at that Guardians of the Galaxy game that was released awhile back, by all accounts it was a pretty good game, but no one bought the game. I believe the same fate awaits this game.

Last edited:

intbal

I'm still expecting their corporate overlords at WB to force them to use this rendition of Wonder Woman, just like Suicide Squad:

fLCpkzB.jpeg

proandrad

Even if they manage to make a good game, WB will ruin it by forcing them to load it with microtransactions.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Monolith is great at games design, not so much narrative. I would have loved to see the Nemesis system come back in a game that didn’t insult the MiddleEarth franchsie, but oh well.

Monolith needs to buy back independence and get out of WB’s control. They will run them into the ground.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I'm still expecting their corporate overlords at WB to force them to use this rendition of Wonder Woman, just like Suicide Squad:

fLCpkzB.jpeg
I'm still baffled by how Western video games studios seem to purposely make women ugly.

I mean that is one fugly looking Wonder Woman.

Švejk

I've been so over these big corpos swooping in and wasting the time of these talented devs with super hero comic shit. Leave them be to create what they want.

Yoda

Super Hero Fatigue might bite them in the ass. The IP alone won't save them as Justice League and the Avengers games showed. They'd a good dev but tbh I wouldn't have put them at Rocksteady's level until AFTER JL came out. I'd be surprised if this ends up being a massive hit.

wipeout364

I didn’t know they were making a Wonder Woman game but that could work really well if they put Diana in the past against ancient Greeks or Roman’s and their Gods. There is lots they could do. Especially since Diana is a weapon user at heart, sword shield spear, whip, bow etc.

Wonder Woman is actually an amazing character with a mega ton of lore they could use. IMO She is the second best DC character after Batman.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
The Wonder Woman game will be just as bad and bland as their LOTR games. I honestly struggle to comprehend that studio which gave us NOLF 1, 2, Contract J.A.C.K. and the first two F.E.A.R. games, made a game with a single cool thing and then did an absolutely piss poor job at everything else incl. extremely repetitive and monotonous combat and gameplay loop, which makes even Insomniac's Spider-Man games in terms of combat look better. I feel bad for Monolith, they once were one of the best game development studios out there but not anymore, not since they've made Shadow of Mordor. It's fuckin' sad.

Dazraell

Well, if I remember correctly Talion's story was pretty much wrapped up. Ultimately it's Warner Bros who greenlights these projects, so we don't really know if Monolith is the one who decided to move on to something else or idea for them trying something DC-related came from the publisher. Personally speaking, I feel The Matrix could be very well suited for using Nemesis system, but that's just my opinion

As for licencing the brand, I remember reading Warner Bros holding IP rights in some capacity to make games based on LOTR provided if they refer to movies. But I'm not sure how exactly that works, I only remember that the split of the rights are confusing and involve multiple companies

Top Bottom