• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jez on the future of Xbox (rumour)

Varteras

Gold Member
I can answer this one on behalf of the totally fake, imposter HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 😛

Yes! 100%.

XGS had an open ground on Xbox console. On PlayStation and Nintendo, they would be competing with God of Wars, TLOUs, Ghost of Tsushimas, Final Fantasies, Marios, Zeldas, and more.

People have limited money. What do you think they will spend their money on? A Starfield or a God of War Ragnarok?

Xbox will have to significantly up their game if they want to compete on PS and Nintendo. They can't do that under the current leadership stock of Matt Booty, Phil Spencer, Aaron Greenberg -- the usual suspects.

I believe it was ChorizoPicozo ChorizoPicozo who told me he thinks that what will happen is that Microsoft will mostly focus on a handful of franchises. That is where the bulk of their development resources will be utilized. Call of Duty, Minecraft, etc.

Neither of us would be surprised to see closures, consolidations, or divestments of a few teams within the next 4 or 5 years. Toys for Bob already did. But, those would be ones that aren't essential to their big games.

Do you think that's the call they will and should make, all things considered? Rally around the really big IP while just tossing out token sequels or new projects? Or, do you think that would be short-sighted of them?

They can't do that under the current leadership
is deeper than that.

MS as a company doesn't have any incentive to make new games at all. now even less with a dead console. especially with the amount of money they spent in the last 5 years and the lack of positive results.

I'm really curious at HB2's critical and commercial success. I feel its going to be another disappointment. The amount fans/shills/warriors willing to defend and fight for MS's incompetence is even less...what excuses can be made? is the general conversation going to be complete apathy or they will drama regardless of the outcome?

I was listening to a podcast pointing out the similarities between the current Xbox situation and the windows phone demise...scary shit for an Xbox fan that still has hope for a miraculous recovery.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
is deeper than that.

MS as a company doesn't have any incentive to make new games at all. now even less with a dead console. especially with the amount of money they spent in the last 5 years and the lack of positive results.

I'm really curious at HB2's critical and commercial success. I feel its going to be another disappointment. The amount fans/shills/warriors willing to defend and fight for MS's incompetence is even less...what excuses can be made? is the general conversation going to be complete apathy or they will drama regardless of the outcome?

I was listening to a podcast pointing out the similarities between the current Xbox situation and the windows phone demise...scary shit for an Xbox fan that still has hope for a miraculous recovery.
I think they will have an incentive to make games for other platforms (PS, Nintendo, PC) IF they see the game publishing business as a profitable one.

Beyond that, I agree, there is no inherent incentive to stay in the games business. They have become way too big to just close shop, however.

There are way too many things for MS to follow and invest anyway. And if they find other, more profitable ventures (like Cloud and AI), they may downsize the gaming division and reinvest elsewhere. With dedicated consoles, there was definitely more incentive.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I believe it was ChorizoPicozo ChorizoPicozo who told me he thinks that what will happen is that Microsoft will mostly focus on a handful of franchises. That is where the bulk of their development resources will be utilized. Call of Duty, Minecraft, etc.

Neither of us would be surprised to see closures, consolidations, or divestments of a few teams within the next 4 or 5 years. Toys for Bob already did. But, those would be ones that aren't essential to their big games.

Do you think that's the call they will and should make, all things considered? Rally around the really big IP while just tossing out token sequels or new projects? Or, do you think that would be short-sighted of them?
I think they will not invest heavily in AAA games. In a way, they haven't been investing in AAAs for some time now. Because those games now cost too much and not selling 10+ million copies make that an unviable path.

My guess is that they will focus more on mobile gaming. Big IPs can also be cashed there, e.g., Call of Duty Mobile, Fallout mobile, etc.

Teams and studios will surely be downsized -- and very soon if their PS/Nintendo bet doesn't work as well as they are hoping for.

Right now, there is this novelty value of Xbox bringing its games to PS for the first time, so PS fans are buying into it. Then it'll die down before a 2nd surge when Xbox brings its bigger games, e.g., Halo, Forza, Gears, etc.

Once that wave is over, and XGS games on PS is normal, I think Xbox will struggle again to sell enough software to keep everything going. That's when we will see more layoffs, studios shut down, and a stronger pivot to smaller AA and mobile games.

I think they will have an incentive to make games for other platforms (PS, Nintendo, PC) IF they see the game publishing business as a profitable one.
and that's the issue, every publisher is struggling one way or another. and based in the last financial report, Xbox Game Studios and Zenimax are not really performing.

Beyond that, I agree, there is no inherent incentive to stay in the games business. They have become way too big to just close shop, however.
as crazy as it sounds I can see (very small chance of course) a complete collapse of MS's gaming division. (if key people continue to leave and established ongoing games start to seriously stumble)

There are way too many things for MS to follow and invest anyway. And if they find other, more profitable ventures (like Cloud and AI), they may downsize the gaming division and reinvest elsewhere. With dedicated consoles, there was definitely more incentive.
yep.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Yup. The hardware won’t be subsidized, this is not the traditional console model anymore. If it can run a full desktop OS and play pc games or games from steam that would be a big value add over a closed platform like PS that may make the cost worthwhile for some, but their aim is clearly not to directly compete with PS if they go this route.

I wonder what kind of crazy game pass perks / add-ons will be possible in a box that can run Steam natively.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Releasing an exorbitantly expensive console(depending when this thing hits) in an era where inflationary pressures are drowning many people, or also in a market where a certain price is expected(console-ish) is certainly a move.

Not sure if it's the right one, but we shall see.

Lets hope you don't have to defend its amazing success on launch. And its popularity speaks for itself.

I think this is not going to be a "console" for the masses, but more a box that offers power for the end user and profit for MS. 10 million units at a significant profit that is basically running PC profiles of games will make sense to MS and developers who only need to make a decent pc port.

Last edited:

T0minator

It seems like Microsofts strategy for PS games is the same strategy Sony has for their PC games.

Not releasing their single player games on other platforms day 1( they need some reason to own an Xbox) they'll eventually release on PS5 months to years later

Releasing their live service games day 1 on PC

Microsoft is in for a rude awakening if they think Playstation and Nintendo gamers will buy their games....

Last edited:

Rubim

Just to put it in perspective, Xbox have been waaaaay more interested in bringing games to PS5 than bringing ABK games to GamePass.

There are more Xbox games on PS5 right now than there are ABK games on GamePass.

Let that sink in.
Think Outer Space GIF by NASA

Some of you are in an abusive relationship with Xbox.
Depends, Diablo IV is there.

COD is probably coming, soonish? Dont know, it's really hard to trust wtf is going on XBOX.

Last edited:
Ehh I think ps gamers will jump in getting some good singleplayer content from ms if the first party sony stuff is still lagging a few years as is the case this year. Ms have Obsidian, Tango Gameworks, Arkane, Machine Games and Id Software that make quality sp games bar a few misfires here and there. Now that gamepass is stagnant, the incentive to grow the service is less and ms have to now appeal to the Sony/Nintendo side of the fence. Most of whom lap up 3rd person action adventure rpg games.

Ashamam

Microsoft is in for a rude awakening if they think Playstation and Nintendo gamers will buy their games....
Huh? Of course they will buy them. Most consumers don't care about who makes the games. MS might be in for a shock if they keep making mid games though and spending AAA budgets. If the pipeline starts producing the goods though MS as a publisher is going to be very successful indeed. I'm just glad they won't be trying to shaft the 'majority' of console gamers in doing so.

Last edited:

panda-zebra

Banned
I am not sure if this rumor is true or not but I am 100% positive that Jez is always full of shit, like anyone whose brand is saying stuff for engagement. Jez doesn’t know any more than anyone here does. He just runs his own podcast.

Doesn’t this forum have that Sneaker guy who claimed to know 100% that everything Xbox is going third party? To me he’s as credible as Jez if not more so.
He's not always full of shit, just mostly. He's definitely on MS's list of influencers through which they disseminate info be it to test waters, control a narrative, get ahead of sticky situations or generally lube up the massive. So there is something to what he puts out, just that when it is genuine and authentic, you probably don't want to be hearing it from him or anyone like him, rather a more impartial source.

Then his trouble is he uses that bit of clout to big himself and his own brand up (lol) and make himself appear more important by intermingling this more rare insider stuff with general rumours and gossips he hears from other sources and his own feels, to the point where you can't even trust the stuff he puts in "print" on the website he works for, never mind his twitter and discord ramblings... to which point he goes on depressive benders and has meltdowns he later attempts to sweep under the rug like it never happened.

It's like what HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 and myself have been saying for a while now. What they are doing ain't working. They gotta try something else if they want to stay in the hardware market and clearly they want to stay in the hardware market.
I don't necessarily believe they want to stay in hardware as such. It doesn't seem necessary long term for what they are and seems to want to achieve. There' there's little money in hardware directly, just losses they hope to recoup later (and Game Pass is clearly making that more and more difficult as users' spending habits are impacted).

Without any hardware presence they lose an iron grip on millions of dedicated spenders/subscribers who invest a large part of themselves into the brand - that loyalty gravitates around a physical box rather than the logo. So IMO there's a necessary transition period here where the costly old console model is erased for something a good portion of the audience will still accept in the interim as being "xbox enough" as MS transitions away from being a platform holder and into a 3rd party behemoth. It's one that could end up actually making a bit of money rather than loss-leading and hoping for the best with the existing console model that's failed them. So a weak box and a powerful box done away with in favour of a more practical/of-the-times mobile device and a pricier pc/console hybrid - this seems like one path to no longer keep repeating what wasn't working in favour of something that has potential while keeping the core on side.

When every screen is an xbox, having their own hardware is probably one of the least important aspects of MS gaming's future but they'd be daft to form a plan where any future success relied on hardware being an integral pillar or moving any needles.

Just looks like a bunch of Phil Spencer quotes to me.

Spencer is the least accurate leaker of them all.
I am forming an opinion of what is happening at Xbox...

Specifically, Phil Spencer.

I am now of the opinion that it is 100% true that Phil is the reason Xbox survived this long. That without Phil, Xbox would already have been dismantled two generations ago. Phil truly wanted Xbox as a console platform to succeed.

However, what we have seen here is that despite Phil's desire to succeed, he is terrible at the job. The most important being he has no idea what a bad game looks like and couldn't maintain quality. He has the heart of a great Console manager, but he doesn't have the skills.

The problem here, is that Phil is the only person in charge who is even remotely interested in an Xbox Console. You can't replace Phil because Phil is the only one who keeps the lights on. So Phil became the common denominator in the last two gaming generations, and all the failures fall on his head.

Phil is the wrong person for the job, but Phil is also the ONLY person for the job. So Xbox is now stuck where it is. Unable to improve.

panda-zebra

Banned
However, what we have seen here is that despite Phil's desire to succeed, he is terrible at the job. The most important being he has no idea what a bad game looks like and couldn't maintain quality. He has the heart of a great Console manager, but he doesn't have the skills.
He's been the man at the top, but it's a problem of their whole internal review system and process (that was obviously formulated and implemented under his leadership), one that leads to stuff like Redfall being booted out the door with far greater expectations of how it might be received and what it might achieve than reality proves.

You could change the man himself right now or have sacked him a year ago, but a far larger problem remains when a whole aspect of their division was unable to correctly tick the right boxes and decide what's actually fun/engaging/passable/broken when deciding if a game's a lemon or a masterpiece. You'd hope they've spent the last year looking at exactly this issue and not just continued to blow smoke up their own arses and pat themselves on the back, but then you look at stuff like Forza and wonder what might come next.

MrTired

He's not always full of shit, just mostly. He's definitely on MS's list of influencers through which they disseminate info be it to test waters, control a narrative, get ahead of sticky situations or generally lube up the massive. So there is something to what he puts out, just that when it is genuine and authentic, you probably don't want to be hearing it from him or anyone like him, rather a more impartial source.

Then his trouble is he uses that bit of clout to big himself and his own brand up (lol) and make himself appear more important by intermingling this more rare insider stuff with general rumours and gossips he hears from other sources and his own feels, to the point where you can't even trust the stuff he puts in "print" on the website he works for, never mind his twitter and discord ramblings... to which point he goes on depressive benders and has meltdowns he later attempts to sweep under the rug like it never happened.

I don't necessarily believe they want to stay in hardware as such. It doesn't seem necessary long term for what they are and seems to want to achieve. There' there's little money in hardware directly, just losses they hope to recoup later (and Game Pass is clearly making that more and more difficult as users' spending habits are impacted).

Without any hardware presence they lose an iron grip on millions of dedicated spenders/subscribers who invest a large part of themselves into the brand - that loyalty gravitates around a physical box rather than the logo. So IMO there's a necessary transition period here where the costly old console model is erased for something a good portion of the audience will still accept in the interim as being "xbox enough" as MS transitions away from being a platform holder and into a 3rd party behemoth. It's one that could end up actually making a bit of money rather than loss-leading and hoping for the best with the existing console model that's failed them. So a weak box and a powerful box done away with in favour of a more practical/of-the-times mobile device and a pricier pc/console hybrid - this seems like one path to no longer keep repeating what wasn't working in favour of something that has potential while keeping the core on side.

When every screen is an xbox, having their own hardware is probably one of the least important aspects of MS gaming's future but they'd be daft to form a plan where any future success relied on hardware being an integral pillar or moving any needles.

So some context. According to Timdog who was on Crossfire podcast hosted by Mooch who was Xbox fan in the Xbox One generation, Jez's source of information is Phil Spencer himself. Timdog has been in party chats with Phil for the last ten years, in fact he would plan his time to accommodate Phil and according to him Jez was also on those Party chats. And since the Timdog epiphany, Jez is Phil's new bestie now. So if he's getting information it's from the source.

King Dazzar

I think this is not going to be a "console" for the masses, but more a box that offers power for the end user and profit for MS. 10 million units at a significant profit that is basically running PC profiles of games will make sense to MS and developers who only need to make a decent pc port.
I like the idea, but it's potentially a lot of money to be investing in a brand which many may have confidence problems with. At this moment in time, I don't see it doing well. But lets wait to see how it comes in price & spec wise and if they manage to pull off the UI and Steam integration well, whilst not turning into a Fire TV, ad wise. Time will tell.

nemiroff

Gold Member
You mean warriors extreme enough to deny themselves games because they're not from their approved list of names? Yeah well.., thank fucking god we don't have that many morons out there as Sea of Thieves on PS seems to do good these days.

Last edited:

Astray

So you'll be happy to pay to play online despite playing on a PC with an Xbox logo on it?

Family Feud Lol GIF by Steve Harvey
The funniest part to me is that Phil didn't even mention Steam in that Polygon interview despite it being the slam dunk pc storefront, I genuinely don't know where Jez got that part lol.

Reactions: GHG

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins

Halo, especially the MCC, Forza, and Gears would be huge sellers on PS and Nintendo systems. (I'd also love Age of Empires on the new Switch)

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
So you'll be happy to pay to play online despite playing on a PC with an Xbox logo on it?

Can just see how much of a success having to pay to use Steam on your Xbox PC box would be.

I didnt even think about this.

Interesting times ahead. Because an OEM making an Xbox "PC", one shouldnt have to pay for online.

I think this is about to be yet another test to see what some ppl are willing to accept because its their fav brand.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
(going by what you said), it will be essentially a branded gaming PC at that point -- which will obviously be quite a bit more expensive than a custom PC system.

I don't think Xbox has that kind of brand power to warrant the extra price -- especially amongst PC gamers, for whom building a PC is often a fun activity in itself.

At this rate, we are most likely heading towards a Sony monopoly. If Microsoft continues down this unfortunate trajectory of more and more high profile first party games on the competition especially PlayStation, then imo there’s no point of another Microsoft console.

Not only is it Microsoft’s fault, but I also blame the finicky XBox gamers who refuse to buy or support hardly anything on their console. Didn’t give XBOX a chance? The gamers don’t seem to give most games a chance and the developers have to go where the money is as a result.

Last edited:

hinch7

Ill only share this.

Captain hindsight here. But I dipped out as soon as Xbox 'exclusives' went all PC and after that train wreck that was Xbox One and the first party output there onwards. I'm surprised people stuck around for this long for Xbox and especially exclusively as their main. Have to give props to the fans and userbase.

And thats a pretty shit take from MS tbh.. but what else is new.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
At this rate, we are most likely heading towards a Sony monopoly. If Microsoft continues down this unfortunate trajectory of more and more high profile first party games on the competition especially PlayStation, then imo there’s no point of another Microsoft console.

Not only is it Microsoft’s fault, but I also blame the finicky XBox gamers who refuse to buy or support hardly anything on their console. Didn’t give XBOX a chance? The gamers don’t seem to give most games a chance and the developers have to go where the money is as a result.
I think we can really start looking at how MS positioned Game Pass as one cause. Its a gift and a curse for Xbox, MS. Game Pass itself isnt a problem.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Gamepass effectively killed their business. Destroyed software sales and partner interests. Who'd want to put their games on a platform that sells no games?
I dunno.

If Halo, Starfield, Redfall, Forza (just to start a list) would have been real bangers Gamepass numbers might have really jumped

I personally think their big name IPs coming up short is hurting them more

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

I'm specifically talking about game pass perks, 'paying for online' is kinda irrelevant since its already included in that paid-subscription.

Focus on the 'perks' part you ignorant slut.
WzVlZB9TshRB1v3NirJBNkZ9vvLogSHoNOZWCJl0rkbSWf1F5xdsByr2dfRioYU35aYiKHe8zSiF4-FHrZhicRJclMEuMPT4Fp1XwDZ3DINYvTe9J3ZGGAUUzA

I dunno.

If Halo, Starfield, Redfall, Forza (just to start a list) would have been real bangers Gamepass numbers might have really jumped

I personally think their big name IPs coming up short is hurting them more

They did talk about Starfield driving up subscriptions.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I'm specifically talking about game pass perks, 'paying for online' is kinda irrelevant since its already included in it.

They did talk about Starfield driving up subscriptions.

Of course it did, a lot of people wanted to try it as I had a couple of friends who subbed when it launched and played it for like 10 hours or so and canceled

Just think where GP numbers would be if their big boy games were all true bangers

In my opinion, Microsoft could pull XBOX out of the nose dive that it is currently in by doing something like the following:

-Release a refresh SKU that's as powerful as the XSX, price it at $199.99 (expect to lose $100-$200 a console), keep the BOM low, choose an economical design.
-Secure a 3 month or more timed exclusivity for GTA6 (Pursue this for other big titles).
-Remake your greatest bangers, be ambitious.
-Take more chances on AAA titles.
-Continue to support, but sunset the XSS.
-Re-organize studios, shuffle creative directors/talent to rid yourself of the creative stagnation.
-Increase quality standards, no XBOX title should run better on the competitors platform, ever.
-Phil may have to go, he's been in a decision making role since 2014, it may be time for a new vision/voice.

Now, I know what you're thinking on the first item, but Microsoft loves to waste money:
-8 Billion on Nokia
-8 Billion on Skype
-8 Billion on Bethesda
-Etc.

So, hardware subsidies would be between 10billion-20billion if they could touch 100m consoles over a 6-7 year period and keep the losses between $100-$200 a console. Surely to GOD a behemoth like Microsoft with a market cap of $2,000,000,000,000 can figure out how to take advantage of economies of scale and keep their costs low on a console.

Edit: 2.96 trillion

Last edited:

splattered

Maybe Microsoft will simply create a division that specifically focuses on multiplatform titles with microtransactions to increase revenue while most of the rest of the franchises stay exclusive to Xbox. These four initial titles were just a test to see if PS players would even buy into Microsoft games and which types could be successful. Now that they know they will, they begin work on a handful of titles that will go to multiple systems. Everything else stays as is full steam ahead. Or not. Who knows.

King Dazzar

In my opinion, Microsoft could pull XBOX out of the nose dive that it is currently in by doing something like the following:

-Release a refresh SKU that's as powerful as the XSX, price it at $199.99 (expect to lose $100-$200 a console), keep the BOM low, choose an economical design.
-Secure a 3 month or more timed exclusivity for GTA6 (Pursue this for other big titles).
-Remake your greatest bangers, be ambitious.
-Take more chances on AAA titles.
-Continue to support, but sunset the XSS.
-Re-organize studios, shuffle creative directors/talent to rid yourself of the creative stagnation.
-Increase quality standards, no XBOX title should run better on the competitors platform, ever.
-Phil may have to go, he's been in a decision making role since 2014, it may be time for a new vision/voice.

Now, I know what you're thinking on the first item, but Microsoft loves to waste money:
-8 Billion on Nokia
-8 Billion on Skype
-8 Billion on Bethesda
-Etc.

So, hardware subsidies would be between 10billion-20billion if they could touch 100m consoles over a 6-7 year period and keep the losses between $100-$200 a console. Surely to GOD a behemoth like Microsoft with a market cap of $2,000,000,000,000 can figure out how to take advantage of economies of scale and keep their costs low on a console.
Unfortunately I dont think current SKU pricing is the issue. And the list you're showing is not only wishful thinking, but would take too long. Meanwhile, their games continue to release on PlayStation? Good list, but aint happening and wouldn't fix it either imo.

I hope I'm wrong. But....
Personally this is how I think their next hardware launch will go:
horse GIF

King Dazzar

Dude needs to stop responding. One minute he is saying it is all bullshit. The next he is confirming everything being said.

Stupidity Are You Stupid GIF

He's getting a bit weird around the side loading of steam. I dont see the Xbox future hybrid OS being "unlockable" to side load anything. I'm expecting it to be a console like UI. Steam will be either integrated at launch or a normal downloadable app I would have thought. Thats if they want it to be a key reason/feature to buy one.

Unless I'm misunderstanding, which is entirely possible when it comes to ole Jizz and his tea leaves analysis.

Zheph

I am not sure why there is so much talk about Steam, I reckon we are just talking about a premium Xbox.

Top Bottom