• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jez on the future of Xbox (rumour)

Topher

Gold Member
It's true, what they say. The elderly have a hard time keeping up with the world changing around them.
argue grumpy old men GIF by Laff

he said "Nobody wanted to give Xbox a chance, so this is what they get with a Sony monopoly"

This is so fucking delusional that I don't understand how someone can even conscience a thought like this.

How many decades has Xbox been a thing in gaming and how many gamers have given them chance after chance to right the ship since they shit the bed mid-way through the Xb360 gen?

Tg89

This is so fucking delusional that I don't understand how someone can even conscience a thought like this.

How many decades has Xbox been a thing in gaming and how many gamers have given them chance after chance to right the ship since they shit the bed mid-way through the Xb360 gen?
lol for real, such delusion.

i had an OG Xbox and know plenty others who did, it didn't do amazing but it did well in the context of it being Microsoft's first platform. Xbox 360 was wildly successful especially in the early years, it slowed down a bit later in the gen as they made some poor decisions and Sony course corrected a bit on ps3.

Xone and Xseries were disasters. That's just a classic example of consumers voting with their wallets.

Varteras

Gold Member

That fat fuck will blame his dead grandma for the failures of Xbox. Lord Diabetes will never entertain the possibility that well over a decade of bad leadership, with a delusional fanbase that kept making excuses for them, with some of the most outrageously bad decisions the industry has seen, were the real problem.

Varteras

Gold Member
Or wait for the many clones from existing PC manufacturers that will undercut MS with similar/better hardware
But none of them will have the power of- *checks notes*... the cloud? No, wait. The most powerful cons-... no, that's not it. Ahem, none of them will have the power of the greatest lineup in-... fuck, that's not it either. Wait! I think I got it. None of them will have the power of the best deal in- NO! NO! NO! How am I screwing this up? AHA! None of them will have the power of the supposedly undefeated Uncle Lord Phil and whatever woman with passable looks they throw out to be drooled on by people with low standards and a clearly unsuccessful sex life. BOOM! Take that Valve.

midnightAI

But none of them will have the power of- *checks notes*... the cloud? No, wait. The most powerful cons-... no, that's not it. Ahem, none of them will have the power of the greatest lineup in-... fuck, that's not it either. Wait! I think I got it. None of them will have the power of the best deal in- NO! NO! NO! How am I screwing this up? AHA! None of them will have the power of the supposedly undefeated Uncle Lord Phil and whatever woman with passable looks they throw out to be drooled on by people with low standards and a clearly unsuccessful sex life. BOOM! Take that Valve.
Dammit, you got me there

I Give Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Fredrik

At this point, I really only care about my games library carrying forward to future hardware. If that library exists and I'm still able to add new releases to it, why should I care? I'm already fully bought-in to the ecosystem, little can be done to change that at this point.

I suppose though that that mentality partly is exactly what is leading to this. For every person like me there are substantially more out there that feel exactly the same except about the PlayStation ecosystem
If what Jez say is true then MS has truly thrown in the towel on hardware now.
I’m thinking that within 3 years they will have a subscription/launcher platform instead. Kinda like EA Play, on every screen, with streaming whenever there is no native version, where you can access you full library.
It’s what makes the most sense. They don’t want their games to be locked onto specific hardware. But I think they’ll do subscription/launcher exclusives instead. That’s the only way they can get in new people.

Topher

Gold Member
Or wait for the many clones from existing PC manufacturers that will undercut MS with similar/better hardware

Not really that much different from the competition in the gaming laptop market if you think about it. I mean......that's a reasonsable space for Microsoft to plant their hardware flag going forward in my mind. Sure as hell better than losing $200 a pop on consoles and still losing market share.

Awkward John Krasinski GIF by Saturday Night Live

Okay, Jez lol. Microsoft is literally the most valuable company in the world if they wanted to actually compete against Sony, they could.
Not really, they've spent money hand over fist but they haven't figured out how to create IP that brings people in since the 360. Most of their big IP was created outside of MS and they bought it. Halo was already announced when they bought Bungie, Gears was made by Epic and going to be a multiplatform game until they paid for timed and then full exclusivity before eventually just buying the IP, lionhead created Fable before MS owned them etc. The only tentpoles they've created in house have Forza in the title and the last FMS game doesn't seem to be doing all that well. It takes more than just throwing money around, you have to have the creativity to make a product that brings people to you, MS failed in the phone business among others so having more money than everyone else isn't the answer.

Seyken

It's interesting. We're likely to see two distinct approaches to handhelds in the coming years from Microsoft and Sony, but the key difference will be Microsoft's handheld will be a portable PC while Sony's while be a Portable PlayStation.

Ironically, Microsoft's handheld will likely play PlayStation games on it, UNLESS Sony pulls their current or future games from Steam and pushes for their own PC storefront and prevents that storefront from running on Microsoft's handheld, which will be difficult to do.

Sony will probably have an advantage in Asia and Europe, but ultimately depending on price, they might be outmaneuvered. They will really have to win out on price and volume.

Yeah, I think this is an almost impossible win for Microsoft.

They will be staring at a competition between them, Sony, Valve and Nintendo in the portable market, but Microsoft is essentially forfeiting their rights as a platform holder, they will just be a hub.

Valve, Sony and Nintendo will hold a much stronger position and if a portable version of a game is to be made, you can bet their platforms will be the focus of optimization, not Microsoft's. They will have an ecosystem, Microsoft won't, because we know Steam players won't migrate to the MS Store. What Microsoft's portable will be is just the next Steam Deck copycat, but with crazy levels of competition to go against, and not just the Steam Deck itself like it's now.

Who in their right minds will see the trifecta of Sony, Nintendo and Valve each with their own portable machines and their own ecosystems and go for the Microsoft one? What will that have to offer that the others won't?

Plus, not being a platform holder also means what someone else here said, they can't count on subsidizing their consoles anymore since they won't be getting their 30% cut. This strategy, to me, is bound to fail like all their other ones.

Of course he is still blaming Sony like a biatch for Microsoft's own failures in gaming. Is he also a stubborn SEGA diehard? He probably blames Sony for what happened to SEGA, too.

Next Xbox being a PC-like, allowing Steam/GOG/EGS etc. probably along some Windows apps (prob easier to do that way vs. jump right into making Windows 100% game UI-friendly), sold at a hefty profit....these are all things most could guess and was already suggested in that Discord leak in January. He's only saying it now because the channels have cleared from above with corporate to start being more open about those plans.

But, of course, he still has to make PlayStation the boogeyman.

Raven117

Yeah, that seems pretty reasonable and where we all thought this was headed (See contra, Xbox fanboy copium).

XBox did have their chance. The original and 360 were powerhouses, and the 360 era had Sony on the ropes with their disasterous ps3 launch. But...slowly...Sony climbed their way back into the game...an unforced error with the Xbox One announcement (during THE generation to switch to digital), and then every studio acquisition Xbox had seemed to turn out a dud (or at least nothing to get too excited about). Mix in some GamePass which changed the buying habits of their base (still a great value when there isn't alot out there to play on the new release front)...

And that's all she wrote.

Last edited:
Probably true. Perhaps Ms would make a deal with them though for a cut of all steam store sales on thier boxes. Maybe that's why they are considering it.

That's dumb, as there's no upside for Valve in that type of deal. Microsoft are the ones who would need Steam on their platform to help give it value, not the other way around.

If they're going to add Steam support to the next Xbox, it'll be 100% out of Microsoft's own pocket; Valve just gets a few more systems to act as potential point-of-access to their storefront.

They would buy them so valve wouldn't suck away 30% of every game sold on the Steam store in perpetuity. Something ms doesn't like doing.

Buying companies? No, Microsoft loves doing that.

Problem here is, they legally would not be able to buy Valve. Steam has too large a monopoly market share in the PC space to where Microsoft (or anyone else for that matter) can't simply buy their way to that market share.

Not only would the whole regulatory system fall apart if it did happen; almost every company under the Sun would band together and challenge the buy in court. Epic, Sony, CDPR, Apple, Google, you name it.

Last edited:

jwaxeman

I am not sure if this rumor is true or not but I am 100% positive that Jez is always full of shit, like anyone whose brand is saying stuff for engagement. Jez doesn’t know any more than anyone here does. He just runs his own podcast.

Doesn’t this forum have that Sneaker guy who claimed to know 100% that everything Xbox is going third party? To me he’s as credible as Jez if not more so.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
That's dumb, as there's no upside for Valve in that type of deal. Microsoft are the ones who would need Steam on their platform to help give it value, not the other way around.

If they're going to add Steam support to the next Xbox, it'll be 100% out of Microsoft's own pocket; Valve just gets a few more systems to act as potential point-of-access to their storefront.

Buying companies? No, Microsoft loves doing that.

Problem here is, they legally would not be able to buy Valve. Steam has too large a monopoly market share in the PC space to where Microsoft (or anyone else for that matter) can't simply buy their way to that market share.

Not only would the whole regulatory system fall apart if it did happen; almost every company under the Sun would band together and challenge the buy in court. Epic, Sony, CDPR, Apple, Google, you name it.

That's not true at all. If ms is on the fence on adding steam to its future consoles, sticking to 30% and ms choosing to not include it means no enhanced revenues.

On the other hand, let's say they agree to give ms 10%, and ms goes on to sell 20 million consoles, that is why valve might choose to do this. 20% >>>>>>> 0%.

As to regulation, we've seen time and time again that regulators are toothless wonders.

As to market share, ballpark steam has 85% monopoly already, (most of the rest made up by epic and smaller stores) not sure why a company that has like 1% of the remainder (ms) on thier store would suddenly be any different than steam staying with valve, it doesn't fundamentally change the market all.

Another huge reason why valve might want to work with ms to enhance collaboration in general is the pending Sony store that Sony is working on. If ms pivots to partner with Sony on that store, that would be a massive blow to steam. Imagine a store that charges developers less and has all the Sony and ms exclusives? Suddenly valve is in trouble.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

That's not true at all. If ms is on the fence on adding steam to its future consoles, sticking to 30% and ms choosing to not include it means no enhanced revenues.

On the other hand, let's say they agree to give ms 10%, and ms goes on to sell 20 million consoles, that is why valve might choose to do this. 20% >>>>>>> 0%.

As to regulation, we've seen time and time again that regulators are toothless wonders.

As to market share, ballpark steam has 85% monopoly already, (most of the rest made up by epic and smaller stores) not sure why a company that has like 1% of the remainder (ms) on thier store would suddenly be any different than steam staying with valve, it doesn't fundamentally change the market all.
They are going to pay MicroSoft to have their store/app on Xbox, which is something that Xbox wants?

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Not really that much different from the competition in the gaming laptop market if you think about it. I mean......that's a reasonsable space for Microsoft to plant their hardware flag going forward in my mind. Sure as hell better than losing $200 a pop on consoles and still losing market share.

Awkward John Krasinski GIF by Saturday Night Live

Now when I watch The Office I have it locked in my head that his name is Topher. I hope you're proud of yourself😅

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
They are going to pay MicroSoft to have their store/app on Xbox, which is something that Xbox wants?

No, if they did decide to do this, they are going to share part of thier revenue stream to gain traction in a market they currently don't participate in at all, traditional consoles - with very little upfront cost or risk to them. (No hardware to build or sell)

Top Bottom