• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony has generated approximately $700 million from PC port sales for the last fiscal year

ergem

Most AAA games are frontloaded - they dies out in 2 years to almost nothing and replaced by the new king of the hill of blockbusters. Some more sturdy than other - Tsushima for example, which holds pretty well for 4 years old game. Some games have insanely long legs, Gran Turismo for example.
Just a side note. GoT and GT both have online multiplayer component. That must have contributed to the games selling for longer. GTA’s long legs is due to the online MP as well.

The Last of Us part 3 must be incorporating online component of the failed GaaS attempt. GaaS-lite MP in Spider-man 3 will give it longer legs.

In other words, Sony should start incorporating MP in their single player games. Perhaps not too ambitious like a standalone GaaS game, but enough to give their games longer legs like GTA V.

Topher

Gold Member
Just a side note. GoT and GT both have online multiplayer component. That must have contributed to the games selling for longer. GTA’s long legs is due to the online MP as well.

The Last of Us part 3 must be incorporating online component of the failed GaaS attempt. GaaS-lite MP in Spider-man 3 will give it longer legs.

In other words, Sony should start incorporating MP in their single player games. Perhaps not too ambitious like a standalone GaaS game, but enough to give their games longer legs like GTA V.

I would love to see a return to the days where single player games had multiplayer included. Definitely think that is helping GoT on PC.

Last edited:
It's a good number but it's not too helpful without their development costs to provide context. Unless i misread and that 700M figure is operating profit.

yurinka

Where is the data we're it shows that they always raise the revenue and everything is fine since they started porting. That it didn't had any effect?. We had more than 2 years of pandemic which helped them alot yes and one year where there was hype because the ps5 was widely available but its still missed the sales target.

Let's see if they easily sell more than ps4 this gen and sell the ps6 as fast. No exclusives will kill the adoption rate next gen.
The data is reported every quarter/fiscal year in Sony's fiscal reports.

PC (they outperformed this FY23 $450M forecast, they'll detail it May 30th business segment meeting). Document from last year:
image.png

Regarding their growth in console, from Sony's earnings announcement from Q4FY23, Q4FY21, Q4FY19 (each year also shows the previous one) show the money they made in console hardware, software, services (PS Plus + Now) and acccesories ("others not only included accesories until FY21, back then also had the PC games there):
image.png

Note: hardware sales being lower during generational transition (FY19-21) is normal, this case also had the console shortages there.

image.png

Regarding hardware sales vs PS4, PS5 is 800K. Very little considering PS5 had to suffer the chip/console shortages, covid financial crysis / huge inflation growth, to the point that wasn't able to apply the price cut PS4 already had at this point, and instead had even to increase its price. And on top of that, due to the success of GaaS and PS Plus, half of the active PSN userbase continues engaged in PS4 (longer than in previous generations) and still didn't upgrade to the next gen.

Last edited:
Lol if anything that's what's saving their ass, their games are pretty popular on Steam
Sea of Thieves - 280k reviews
Halo MCC - 205k reviews
Forza Horizon 4 - 200k reviews
Halo Infinite - 170k reviews
Forza Horizon 5 - 160k reviews
Age of Empires 2 - 126k reviews
Ori and the Will of the Wisps - 117k reviews

They are not doing Sony numbers but these beat out a ton of third party AAA games.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Sea of Thieves - 280k reviews
Halo MCC - 205k reviews
Forza Horizon 4 - 200k reviews
Halo Infinite - 170k reviews
Forza Horizon 5 - 160k reviews
Age of Empires 2 - 126k reviews
Ori and the Will of the Wisps - 117k reviews

They are not doing Sony numbers but these beat out a ton of third party AAA games.
We have to remember they're on Game Pass too, but I remember that they had to put their games on Steam again, so they got to the conclusion that they definitely need Steam somehow

Fabieter

The data is reported every quarter/fiscal year in Sony's fiscal reports.

PC (they outperformed this FY23 $450M forecast, they'll detail it May 30th business segment meeting). Document from last year:
image.png

Regarding their growth in console, from Sony's earnings announcement from Q4FY23, Q4FY21, Q4FY19 (each year also shows the previous one) show the money they made in console hardware, software, services (PS Plus + Now) and acccesories ("others not only included accesories until FY21, back then also had the PC games there):
image.png

Note: hardware sales being lower during generational transition (FY19-21) is normal, this case also had the console shortages there.

image.png

Regarding hardware sales vs PS4, PS5 is 800K. Very little considering PS5 had to suffer the chip/console shortages, covid financial crysis / huge inflation growth, to the point that wasn't able to apply the price cut PS4 already had at this point, and instead had even to increase its price. And on top of that, due to the success of GaaS and PS Plus, half of the active PSN userbase continues engaged in PS4 (longer than in previous generations) and still didn't upgrade to the next gen.

Covid helped their revenue and profit tremendously like most tech companys had similar or even stronger gains. Covid years were atypical and can't be seen as anything and the year after was the first time the ps5 was widely available which makes it also atypical. Let's see how it goes the second half of the generation and more importantly at the start of the new gen ;). We also have to consider xbox games will have an impact on sony hardware if they still miss their target well lets say there wont be a going back for them.

Avatar bet that's its gonna be slower adoption than ps4 and ps5 😉?

I already hear all the other excuses that are responsible for the slower adoption other than doing ports to any platform maybe even day one by the next gen.

It's gonna be hard for sony and their shareholders. They lost a third of their value since covid started despite that all tech companys got bullish.

Last edited:

yurinka

Covid helped their revenue and profit tremendously like most tech companys had similar or even stronger gains. Covid years were atypical and can't be seen as anything and the year after was the first time the ps5 was widely available which makes it also atypical. Let's see how it goes the second half of the generation and more importantly at the start of the new gen ;). We also have to consider xbox games will have an impact on sony hardware if they still miss their target well lets say there wont be a going back for them.

Avatar bet that's its gonna be slower adoption than ps4 and ps5 😉?

I already hear all the other excuses that are responsible for the slower adoption other than doing ports to any platform maybe even day one by the next gen.

Let's see:
  • Xbox sales are dying
  • Switch sales are decreasing, but Switch 2 pretty likely will have a record launch but in the long term PC handhelds will eat their breakfast
  • MS games will help PS
  • There's still 70M MAU active in PS4 who still have to uppgrade to next gen (won't go to MS, so will go to PS5)
  • In addition to Helldivers 2, there are more Sony top GaaS coming like Concord or Marathon in addition to the SP games
  • GTA6 is coming
  • There are many Sony adaptations to cinema/tv show, which will bump hardware and specially sales of these IPs
  • Price cut doesn't seem likely without losing a ton of money per unit
I think launch aligned PS5 will end passing PS4 and Sony will kee increasing their console market share.

Even if YoY will continue decreasing its hardware sales because already passed the yearly sales peak that all consoles normally have around their 2nd-4th year.

Like to many companies, Covid did help them in digital sales of games and services. But did heavily slowdown their hardware sales, which had started with all time gaming history records.

They will continue breaking records in software, services, accesories revenue. Plus in MAU, user lifetime spent and other key KPIs. Will continue growing like crazy in PC and movie/tv show adaptations.

I don't make avatar bets, I think they are kiddy dumb stuff.

It's gonna be hard for sony and their shareholders. They lost a third of their value since covid started despite that all tech companys got bullish.
Not sure if you are aware of it, but SIE keeps breaking several all time records every year and are growing in basically all areas. You wishing them to fail doesn''t mean it's happening or that will happen.

Last edited:

Fabieter

Let's see:
  • Xbox sales are dying
  • Switch sales are decreasing, but Switch 2 pretty likely will have a record launch but in the long term PC handhelds will eat their breakfast
  • MS games will help PS
  • There's still 70M MAU active in PS4 who still have to uppgrade to next gen (won't go to MS, so will go to PS5)
  • In addition to Helldivers 2, there are more Sony top GaaS coming like Concord or Marathon in addition to the SP games
  • GTA6 is coming
  • There are many Sony adaptations to cinema/tv show, which will bump hardware and specially sales of these IPs
  • Price cut doesn't seem likely without losing a ton of money per unit
I think launch aligned PS5 will end passing PS4 and Sony will kee increasing their console market share.

Even if YoY will continue decreasing its hardware sales because already passed the yearly sales peak that all consoles normally have around their 2nd-4th year.

Like to many companies, Covid did help them in digital sales of games and services. But did heavily slowdown their hardware sales, which had started with all time gaming history records.

They will continue breaking records in software, services, accesories revenue. Plus in MAU, user lifetime spent and other key KPIs. Will continue growing like crazy in PC and movie/tv show adaptations.

I don't make avatar bets, I think they are kiddy dumb stuff.

Not sure if you are aware of it, but SIE keeps breaking several all time records every year and are growing in basically all areas. You wishing them to fail doesn''t mean it's happening or that will happen.

Can't wait for the excuses why they ultimately failed. People wont blame their bad decisions that's for sure. The new few years gonna be a wild ride. The new CEOs are gonna make stuff worse.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Can't wait for the excuses why they ultimately failed. People wont blame their bad decisions that's for sure. The new few years gonna be a wild ride. The new CEOs are gonna make stuff worse.
Update your Linkedn profile and mention that you’re open for the CEO position at PlayStation.

Fabieter

Update your Linkedn profile and mention that you’re open for the CEO position at PlayStation.

No one around here would do a worse job than hulst.

Besides its nice argument for any critism we do around here ;). We do alot of shitting on companies. So yes "do it youself" is really lame bro.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
No one around here would do a worse job than hulst.

Besides its nice argument for any critism we do around here ;). We do alot of shitting on companies. So yes "do it youself" is really lame bro.
PS5 numbers are great even with the PC ports. Your entire argument boils down to, "Trust me bro, it’s gonna fail any minute now."

Fabieter

PS5 numbers are great even with the PC ports. Your entire argument boils down to, "Trust me bro, it’s gonna fail any minute now."

My entire argument is that the last few years were atypical for different reasons.

Well can't wait for the second half of this gen and especially the new gen. ;). And all the excuses why they declined.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Honestly the business case for exclusives is stupid IMO. Yes, there’s some argument to be made about quality control, but if Nintendo put their entire catalog on Steam tomorrow, I’d be getting a second mortgage buying that shit up.

Sony and Xbox are headed in the right direction getting their software out on PC. I just don’t understand why the hell you’d buy up these studios, then destroy them. I lost so much respect for MS this month

Fabieter

Honestly the business case for exclusives is stupid IMO. Yes, there’s some argument to be made about quality control, but if Nintendo put their entire catalog on Steam tomorrow, I’d be getting a second mortgage buying that shit up.

Sony and Xbox are headed in the right direction getting their software out on PC. I just don’t understand why the hell you’d buy up these studios, then destroy them. I lost so much respect for MS this month

Nintendo and Sony dont control anything on pc. They will just be like EA and 2k, with their hardware taking big hits. Microsoft owns the OS tho, they are winning either way.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Cool for them, and more games for me.

I don't think they'll ever do day 1 releases tho, no way they want to miss on double-dippers.
Why do you think that is more significant than the benefit of hype and a combined marketing push? Where are your numbers for the number of double dippers?

Hudo

It's quite fascinating to see that console warriors are actually not that loyal to the company but to the device. There are plenty of hardcore Playstation devotees, even on this very board, who are fuming because of Sony's PC efforts but who are still absolutely devoted to their plastic box,

I don't get why this is hard to understand.

- You make good exclusive games to motivate people to buy the console.

- If you don't care about people buying your console, you cater to "the bigger audience", lowering the quality of your games and putting them in all platforms available.

One thing leads to the other. Quality and exclusivity come naturally together. XBOX games were good in the 360 era. Then, they went multiplatform and their quality went, too. This has been exacerbated by Gamepass, the ultimate quality killer, but the philosophy is pretty much the same.
Sony has a track record of making good games, so selling their console isn’t difficult. Selling their games on PC day one is not going to stop someone from doing that. But also, Sony makes a ton more money selling games and services. So I think Sony is trying to sell their games on both PlayStation and PC. To maximize profit when the hype is high for their new releases.

Sony is known for their high quality output, Xbox is not. Sony will continue to sell 100 million consoles a generation, because they are good at it.

Last edited:

Hudo

Sony has a track record of making good games, so selling their console isn’t difficult. Selling their games on PC day one is not going to stop someone from doing that. But also, Sony makes a ton more money selling games and services. So I think Sony is trying to sell their games on both PlayStation and PC. To maximize profit when the hype is high for their new releases.

Sony is known for their high quality output, Xbox is not. Sony will continue to sell 100 million consoles a generation, because they are good at it.
This. And I also think the total amount of console sales lost due to their PC efforts is insignificant. The people who can actually play Sony's PC releases with good graphics are people who have medium to good gaming PCs. These people were never going to buy a Playstation. And vice-versa: People who buy a Playstation mostly do it because a) they are already trapped in the Sony ecosystem and b) they don't want or don't have a good-enough gaming PC and aren't interested in getting one.

What Sony are doing with this is getting more people into the ecosystem, now that they're stumbling their way into introducing their Playstation account stuff on PC as well.

Fabieter

Wanna do Avatar bet that sony wont make it past ps4 and never will ever again ;)

Day one PlayStation games on PC is a bad idea imo. I feel it would eventually hurt console sales and gives even less reasons to buy a PlayStation console. It didn’t work out for Microsoft, so I fail to see how it would be beneficial Sony who is trying to sell a console.

Kabelly

Day one PlayStation games on PC is a bad idea imo. I feel it would eventually hurt console sales and gives even less reasons to buy a PlayStation console. It didn’t work out for Microsoft, so I fail to see how it would be beneficial Sony who is trying to sell a console.
The day they ported God of War to PC was the day I knew I didn't need a PS5. I was already contemplating getting a pc at the time and The Last of Us 2 was going to be the last game I bought for my PS4 because PS5 was also announced. I figured I'd just play all their games on the better hardware. Then the PC ports started coming in. So I built a PC instead and so far like 80% of the first party catalogue from this gen is on PC now. The big caveat for me being a playstation user is that I have to wait years for their releases now. Still no Demons Souls and TLOU2 remake but I know they'll come. They opened Pandora's box.

So in a sense, you're right. If they released day and date I think a select amount of people would then opt to buy a PC instead of a PS5, but I don't think it would hurt Sony too much. Consoles are too easy and convenient for the general populace. I borrowed a PS5 to play Stellar Blade and the game looked pretty damn good on my OLED. It's good enough for most people I'd say.

Xbox failed because they haven't released games people actually want to play. Games with so much praise you have to buy an xbox today. When was the last time Xbox released something like that? An actual system seller? Instead they've just poached multiplatform studios to fill their catalogue but then it took forever for games to materialize. Starfield was a swing and a miss. Redfield?

Hi Fi rush was praised but was, ya'know, shadowdropped so absolutely no marketing. No one knows about it. Now the studio is dead. Just amazing management from Microsoft.

All their games these past few years have released in poor or rushed states. Just absolutely no incentive to buy an xbox to consumers these past few years. Maybe even a decade. If you were already in the ecosystem then that would probably be your only reason.

Do I think day and date would cannabalize Sony console sales? Yes. Do I think it would be as detrimental to Sony and it has been to Xbox? No.

Fabieter

The day they ported God of War to PC was the day I knew I didn't need a PS5. I was already contemplating getting a pc at the time and The Last of Us 2 was going to be the last game I bought for my PS4 because PS5 was also announced. I figured I'd just play all their games on the better hardware. Then the PC ports started coming in. So I built a PC instead and so far like 80% of the first party catalogue from this gen is on PC now. The big caveat for me being a playstation user is that I have to wait years for their releases now. Still no Demons Souls and TLOU2 remake but I know they'll come. They opened Pandora's box.

So in a sense, you're right. If they released day and date I think a select amount of people would then opt to buy a PC instead of a PS5, but I don't think it would hurt Sony too much. Consoles are too easy and convenient for the general populace. I borrowed a PS5 to play Stellar Blade and the game looked pretty damn good on my OLED. It's good enough for most people I'd say.

Xbox failed because they haven't released games people actually want to play. Games with so much praise you have to buy an xbox today. When was the last time Xbox released something like that? An actual system seller? Instead they've just poached multiplatform studios to fill their catalogue but then it took forever for games to materialize. Starfield was a swing and a miss. Redfield?

Hi Fi rush was praised but was, ya'know, shadowdropped so absolutely no marketing. No one knows about it. Now the studio is dead. Just amazing management from Microsoft.

All their games these past few years have released in poor or rushed states. Just absolutely no incentive to buy an xbox to consumers these past few years. Maybe even a decade. If you were already in the ecosystem then that would probably be your only reason.

Do I think day and date would cannabalize Sony console sales? Yes. Do I think it would be as detrimental to Sony and it has been to Xbox? No.

Pcs are also easier than ever and while consoles are still cheaper its insane what they ask for overall. People have grow up on pcs for decades at this point. Yourself said that this made you switch.

Topher

Gold Member
My entire argument is that the last few years were atypical for different reasons.

Well can't wait for the second half of this gen and especially the new gen. ;). And all the excuses why they declined.

A decline will be first and foremost attributed to lack of price adjustment. That is basic economics. We don't need to contrive some elaborate narrative about PC gaming to figure that out.

BlackTron

Sony may be able to strike a balance between limiting the harm to their brand and raking in some extra cash, if they keep the ports 2 years out.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Why do you think that is more significant than the benefit of hype and a combined marketing push? Where are your numbers for the number of double dippers?
Don't have any numbers fren, I'm just assuming. Seems to be a nice strategy anyways, Rockstar does it and it will also help to keep the value of the consoles themselves. I could see a lot of people that might have a PS5 + PC go PC only if they start releasing the games day 1.

But who knows, if console sales don't give them a lot of profit they might end going with day 1 releases on PC. I wouldn't complain lol.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
I call bullshit. GAF experts told me that this strategy was hurting Sony.
Nobody told that ...what some of us, including me, say is that releasing all day 01 titles like xbox will most probably hurt consoles sales in the long run, as proved by the competition.

OverHeat

« generous god »
Nobody told that ...what some of us, including me, say is that releasing all day 01 titles like xbox will most probably hurt consoles sales in the long run, as proved by the competition.
They lose money on every console sold so in a way it would be better no?

bender

What time is it?
A decline will be first and foremost attributed to lack of price adjustment. That is basic economics. We don't need to contrive some elaborate narrative about PC gaming to figure that out.

While I'm of the mind that Sony's porting efforts to PC will have minimal impact on their core PlayStation business, and even if they get more aggressive with those efforts (day one), measuring that impact on customer confidence is a better suited as a long term study. Sony will certainly be as aggressive as possible, as they should, but their strategy today or tomorrow is guaranteed for the days that follow and that could cut in both directions.

They lose money on every console sold so in a way it would be better no?

They don't lose a cut of their own games sold on console, they get a cut of every game/dlc/etc. sold on console, they sell subscription services on console.

Last edited:

Hudo

I can assure you quite a lot of GAF experts told me that this strategy is dooming Sony.

Topher

Gold Member
While I'm of the mind that Sony's porting efforts to PC will have minimal impact on their core PlayStation business, and even if they get more aggressive with those efforts (day one), measuring that impact on customer confidence is a better suited as a long term study. Sony will certainly be as aggressive as possible, as they should, but their strategy today or tomorrow is guaranteed for the days that follow and that could cut in both directions.

They don't lose a cut of their own games sold on console, they get a cut of every game/dlc/etc. sold on console, they sell subscription services on console.

I'm sure Sony is constantly running numbers and projections on their PC strategy as this is still a relatively new venture for them. If Sony's analytics say that means no day one ports due to factors such as customer confidence then that is what they will do. And that is my expectation. As always, corporations are going to look out for the stockholders and that's what will guide their decisions.

Personally, I'm really not too fussed about not getting day one ports on PC. Obviously I'd prefer it, but I'm just not buying this take that day one PC ports means following Xbox into doom and gloom. Folks are literally rewriting history to come to that conclusion.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Most of sony profits come from PSN Stores not on console. Imagine selling your game day 1 on PC with no Playstation stores. 🤡

What do you mean by "PSN Stores"? It's a pretty widely known thing that console makers make most of the money (back) on software, not hardware. Sony getting money from the left hand or right hand wouldn't matter as long as it's money coming to them. If you're saying it in the sense that PSN is only available in a limited number of countries compared to say Steam .. well yeah that's something they should focus on.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I'm sure Sony is constantly running numbers and projections on their PC strategy as this is still a relatively new venture for them. If Sony's analytics say that means no day one ports due to factors such as customer confidence then that is what they will do. And that is my expectation. As always, corporations are going to look out for the stockholders and that's what will guide their decisions.

Personally, I'm really not too fussed about not getting day one ports on PC. Obviously I'd prefer it, but I'm just not buying this take that day one PC ports means following Xbox into doom and gloom. Folks are literally rewriting history to come to that conclusion.

I don't believe it will have a major impact either, but porting their titles to PC gives users one less reason to buy a PlayStation and with the prevalence of their porting strategy coming this generation, the impact probably isn't measurable until PS6 release. While I agree with Sony's strategy related to live service games, I probably wouldn't have gone forward with porting non-live service games from a platform I'm currently selling and instead gone with porting previous generation games. That does get a little messy with cross generation and Sony's recent strategy of remasters. Even though I have my thoughts, I'm not willing to dismiss someone's concerns about long term ramifications and I do see some similarities between Microsoft's and Sony's strategies that could be concerning but Microsoft's issues are more deep rooted as they largely lost customer confidence and are throwing ideas at the wall in hope that something sticks.

What do you mean by "PSN Stores"? It's a pretty widely known thing that console makers make most of the money (back) on software, not hardware. Sony getting money from the left hand or right hand wouldn't matter as long as it's money coming to them. If you're saying it in the sense that PSN is only available in a limited number of countries compared to say Steam .. well yeah that's something they should focus on.

I think the argument being made is that you are paying Valve 30% to sell your game on PC if you don't have PC Storefront. Even if you ignore Valve's cut, one copy sold on PC is far less valuable than one copy sold on PSN. That's the balancing act Sony has to play with their PC strategy.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I don't believe it will have a major impact either, but porting their titles to PC gives users one less reason to buy a PlayStation and with the prevalence of their porting strategy coming this generation, the impact probably isn't measurable until PS6 release. While I agree with Sony's strategy related to live service games, I probably wouldn't have gone forward with porting non-live service games from a platform I'm currently selling and instead gone with porting previous generation games. That does get a little messy with cross generation and Sony's recent strategy of remasters. Even though I have my thoughts, I'm not willing to dismiss someone's concerns about long term ramifications and I do see some similarities between Microsoft's and Sony's strategies that could be concerning but Microsoft's issues are more deep rooted as they largely lost customer confidence and are throwing ideas at the wall in hope that something sticks.

I think the segment of gamers who will decide against buying a PlayStation console due to PC ports is relatively small. Primarily that will be people like me who game on both PC and consoles. If Sony's PC porting strategy remains as it is many of those will choose to buy PS rather than wait for ports. That has to be weighed against the expanded customer base on PC, but I agree it will take some time to measure the full impact of this strategy.

The problem I have with the Microsoft comparison is the fact that Xbox One was a disaster in its very conception. We have to backtrack several years prior to the first Xbox PC port to get to those "deep rooted" issues. By the time PC ports came around, the damage was already done. PlayStation is not in a similar situation as Xbox One was in any way. So I just see more dissimiliarites than similarities.

Last edited:

RyanEvans21

Read it again! I said PSN Store not Hardware :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Kssio_Aug

Most of sony profits come from PSN Stores not on console. Imagine selling your game day 1 on PC with no Playstation stores. 🤡
Most people buying Sony games on PC nowaday are probably not going to convert to a PS5 user anyway. That said, I think that's the way to go. They clearly can make a lot of money on PC.

Top Bottom