• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony has generated approximately $700 million from PC port sales for the last fiscal year

Neofire

It is not up to others to research data that you say exists. It is up to you to back up your own claims.
Like I stated before look through my messages or look on Google yourself. IWAISS don't work on me. All of the"Claims" you've made didn't come with any sources but I'm not complaining. I either call it bs, or research it for myself and move on. 🤷🏿‍♂️

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
alfred-never.gif

alfred-never.gif

alfred-never.gif

alfred-never.gif
I know u run on seetheOS but that's not a good excuse for all this cope

ProtoByte

It was in supply shortage. It hasn't been for a very long time now and that number remains the same.
Buddy, being in short supply for half its lifespan before food and gas prices made your eyeballs bulge out of their sockets isn't some small thing that'll be easily overcome. Lol

The fact that it is slightly behind or above PS4 is a herculean achievement.

The figures for console market growth only factor in Nintendo, correct? A company playing their own sport, with no (legitimate) alternative method of play.
You're not totally wrong, but there's still stuff to learn and replicate from Nintendo.

but that number should be higher than it is, and that's reflected by Sony's own forecasts not being met several times now.
Sony missed their target by 4 million, and it was an optimistic target at that. Corporate forecasts don't dictate what should or shouldn't be.

We don't know how well it would do because, well, they've never done it.
Microsoft has. And Sony shouldn't need to have to learn by making the same mistakes their disastrously failing competitor has made, and what their fantastically successful competitor is avoiding like the plague. Nintendo's decades long platform isolationism is why they're in such a good position despite having a 2-generations weaker device and no access to key 3rd party titles.

As I've said, I don't think it's 100% certain, and probably not soon, but there's no way Sony aren't looking at what's happening and contemplating how they're going to approach PC in the future. I think if we start to see the times between console launch and PC port decrease for their marquee titles, it'll be a good indication of where we're heading. It's a long game.
I'm not really arguing that point, I'm arguing that it's terribly ill-advised.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Like I stated before look through my messages or look on Google yourself. IWAISS don't work on me. All of the"Claims" you've made didn't come with any sources but I'm not complaining. I either call it bs, or research it for myself and move on. 🤷🏿‍♂️

Nah......no use searching for something that doesn't exist. And yes, earlier I edited my post to provide sources for what I said and it was factual.

Either way, I would never suggest anyone else must find the data that I say backs me up. That's just absurd.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Indeed. Game Pass devalued the Xbox brand and Xbox content. Releasing on PC did not.
Gamepass devalued the content but it didn't devalue the brand.
Having their games and gamepass on PC pretty much cannibalised the Xbox platform.
Literally what was the point of the platform with that combo.
And they was doing it for a dollar.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Gamepass devalued the content but it didn't devalue the brand.
Having their games and gamepass on PC pretty much cannibalised the Xbox platform.
Literally what was the point of the platform with that combo.
And they was doing it for a dollar.

The point of the platform is low cost, ease of use, and very livingroom/couch friendly. The vast majority of people don't play AAA games on PC because it's still too inaccessible to the average consumer.

The GAF bubble makes us believe otherwise, but it's been proven time and time again that exclusives aren't what drive mass adoption of console hardware.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
The point of the platform is low cost, ease of use, and very livingroom/couch friendly. The vast majority of people don't play AAA games on PC because it's still too inaccessible to the average consumer.

The GAF bubble makes us believe otherwise, but it's been proven time and time again that exclusives aren't what drive mass adoption of console hardware.
Its ease of use, which is why PC day 1 wouldn't kill Nintendo or Sony if they tried it. It's also ads

PC does not have the same level of ads the big 3 do. Again. Billboards. Painted trains. TV commercials, YouTube commercials, tiktok and others. PC does not have that same level of representation other than popular streamers using it for streaming

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Buddy, being in short supply for half its lifespan before food and gas prices made your eyeballs bulge out of their sockets isn't some small thing that'll be easily overcome. Lol

Microsoft has. And Sony shouldn't need to have to learn by making the same mistakes their disastrously failing competitor has made, and what their fantastically successful competitor is avoiding like the plague. Nintendo's decades long platform isolationism is why they're in such a good position despite having a 2-generations weaker device and no access to key 3rd party titles.

Not left the house yet so got time to comment on these. Firstly, yes, the price of fucking everything has gone up and it stings. But what people are quick to ignore is that the public is still spending tons and tons of money on entertainment, more than ever, in droves - I know it's remotely not like-for-like, but the live music industry is going through a bit of turmoil right now with how some tickets are priced, especially in the US. One Taylor Swift ticket in some places is going to cost more than a PS5, 3 hours of entertainment vs. however long it takes for the thing to break. And yet she's still selling out stadium after stadium. Glastonbury festival still sold out in an hour at almost $450 before spending money and supplies. And it's not just rich kids with daddy's credit card; when prices get out of control, everyday people still spend on what they love to combat the misery. Perhaps they spend less overall, but they still spend, and PS5s are still selling to people on lower incomes.

On the second point, I would say it's Nintendo's brands that keep them afloat rather than a staunch dedication to their hardware. Sure, I'll buy a Switch 2 because it's the only place I can (legitimately) play those games, but I'm only buying it because I want to play those games. If Xbox had kept themselves limited to consoles, I simply wouldn't have bought one because I don't have enough interest in their software. I never owned an original Xbox, 360, or One, and only bought a cheap second hand Series S briefly to rattle through some older titles before I sold it. Then I got PC Game Pass and didn't look back. When it comes to Sony, they'll get my money for their games, but I'm struggling not to sell the system and just wait for exclusives to go on sale and then discount on PC. If those titles were there day one, though? Different story.

Anyway, wall of text so appreciate the time to read but I really gotta leave the house now!

Starting 2023 we are seeing the real outcome of their PC initiative. It shows that the 1st party sales they have been doing on PC are not enough to replace the sales done on console. The only winner of their PC initiative (started in 2019) is now Steam. And starting 2023 they are doing less money overall on their first party games than before Jimbo strategy, even when they are now selling most of their games on PC. That strategy started in 2019; is now objectively a failure. They are now doing less money on their games even with PC platform.

Why would they be idiots? People rave about their first party games, unlike Xbox. That’s the difference. It doesn’t work for Xbox because their games aren’t good.

I don't get why this is hard to understand.

- You make good exclusive games to motivate people to buy the console.

- If you don't care about people buying your console, you cater to "the bigger audience", lowering the quality of your games and putting them in all platforms available.

One thing leads to the other. Quality and exclusivity come naturally together. XBOX games were good in the 360 era. Then, they went multiplatform and their quality went, too. This has been exacerbated by Gamepass, the ultimate quality killer, but the philosophy is pretty much the same.

Fabieter

Not left the house yet so got time to comment on these. Firstly, yes, the price of fucking everything has gone up and it stings. But what people are quick to ignore is that the public is still spending tons and tons of money on entertainment, more than ever, in droves - I know it's remotely not like-for-like, but the live music industry is going through a bit of turmoil right now with how some tickets are priced, especially in the US. One Taylor Swift ticket in some places is going to cost more than a PS5, 3 hours of entertainment vs. however long it takes for the thing to break. And yet she's still selling out stadium after stadium. Glastonbury festival still sold out in an hour at almost $450 before spending money and supplies. And it's not just rich kids with daddy's credit card; when prices get out of control, everyday people still spend on what they love to combat the misery. Perhaps they spend less overall, but they still spend, and PS5s are still selling to people on lower incomes.

On the second point, I would say it's Nintendo's brands that keep them afloat rather than a staunch dedication to their hardware. Sure, I'll buy a Switch 2 because it's the only place I can (legitimately) play those games, but I'm only buying it because I want to play those games. If Xbox had kept themselves limited to consoles, I simply wouldn't have bought one because I don't have enough interest in their software. I never owned an original Xbox, 360, or One, and only bought a cheap second hand Series S briefly to rattle through some older titles before I sold it. Then I got PC Game Pass and didn't look back. When it comes to Sony, they'll get my money for their games, but I'm struggling not to sell the system and just wait for exclusives to go on sale and then discount on PC. If those titles were there day one, though? Different story.

Anyway, wall of text so appreciate the time to read but I really gotta leave the house now!

Having ps games day one would further increase pricing on pc for most countries in the world so that would be a further excuse to call them anto consumer and pirate those games.

Topher

Gold Member
Starting 2023 we are seeing the real outcome of their PC initiative. It shows that the 1st party sales they have been doing on PC are not enough to replace the sales done on console. The only winner of their PC initiative (started in 2019) is now Steam. And starting 2023 they are doing less money overall on their first party games than before Jimbo strategy, even when they are now selling most of their games on PC. That strategy started in 2019; is now objectively a failure. They are now doing less money on their games even with PC platform.

Suggesting it is entirely due to PC ports is just an assumption. The revenue difference there can just as easily be attributed to the end of cross gen games. There is no PC game data in there at all.

Last edited:

Fabieter

More and more people dropping the platform and buying most games on key stores. They will learn their lesson while they go ms route of failure. It will be late for their hardware.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter

And how do you attribute this to PC ports? I don't get it.

Neofire

Microsoft's Play Anywhere initiative began in 2016 with Recore. Xbox One sales begain dropping in 2014.....

I will revisit these articles once I get off work and break them down properly and point out the misnomers In each of them I've found.

Gaiff

- If you don't care about people buying your console, you cater to "the bigger audience", lowering the quality of your games and putting them in all platforms available.

One thing leads to the other. Quality and exclusivity come naturally together. XBOX games were good in the 360 era. Then, they went multiplatform and their quality went, too. This has been exacerbated by Gamepass, the ultimate quality killer, but the philosophy is pretty much the same.
The quality went to shit in 2011, way before they went multiplat lol.

This post is pure nonsense. So if they stopped porting their games to PC, their games would suddenly become good? The devs would become more capable, talented, and competent out of nowhere? They would figure out how to design compelling games with engaging mechanics, just because they wouldn't have to work on the PC version?

Last edited:

Tomi

60k peak for 4 year old Ghosts of Tsushima
Sony really knows how to attract people to play their games on pc
Crazy numbers, and congrats
This will sell probably over 1 million i first year

Puscifer

And for a minimal investment, considering these are all older games, that only require a studio to port them. And because consoles also use X86 CPUs and similar dev tools, it's much easier and cheaper than ever before.

Not porting games to PC, would leave quite a lot of money on the table.

Not to mention that leak showed how stupidly cheap it was!

Topher

Gold Member
Microsoft's Play Anywhere initiative began in 2016 with Recore. Xbox One sales begain dropping in 2014.....

I will revisit these articles once I get off work and break them down properly and point out the misnomers In each of them I've found.

I thought you couldn't be bothered with this stuff.

Edit:

Where Are You Waiting GIF by This GIF Is Haunted

Last edited:

Fabieter

They still suffered of the xbone launch in 2014 with the pc port initiative giving it another blow.

feynoob

Gold Member

You guys are something.
Go tell billion dollar company how putting games day1 on pc will destroy their brand.

RickMasters

Day1 is getting closer.
I’m ready for gran tourismo on my PC, with full VR support. I’ve missed that game since the PS2 days ( that was the last time I owned a PlayStation) would live to get back into GT.

But yeah they need to just get to day 1, on PC.

Neofire

The X360 was a unit during that gen, keeping Sony on its toes and not completely throwing it's identity under the bus in exchange for putting its games on PC. After the launch debacle of the Xbox One Microsoft went fully stupid and started putting everything on PC and then GP. Now people are like "why buy an Xbox". Yeah they are making a little bit of money on the backend from PC but they can not make up the losses they are having to their base.

Gaiff

Ok....show us how Xbox One sales suffered after PC ports began in 2016.
You'd think Xbox would have stopped the PC ports after 8 years but they're continuing. Sony is even following suit, but Gaffers apparently know more than their accounting and market research department who obviously determined that those PC ports are beneficial since they're doubling down on them.

Fabieter

You'd think Xbox would have stopped the PC ports after 8 years but they're continuing. Sony is even following suit, but Gaffers apparently know more than their accounting and market research department who obviously determined that those PC ports are beneficial since they're doubling down on them.

You can bet that suits wont admit they would have done mistakes. They blame market conditions, competition and economy before they admit their decisions were responsible.

Gaiff

You can bet that suits wont admit they would have done mistakes. They blame market conditions, competition and economy before they admit their decisions were responsible.
They wouldn't continue down the same path for almost a decade when it obviously isn't working, and their closest competitors who have been very successful wouldn't start doing the same thing either. Sony is ramping up the PC ports and we've seen their earn calls slides where they told us in no uncertain terms that the initiative was a success, but you got experts on Gaf claiming otherwise.

Last edited:

Fabieter

They wouldn't continue down the same path for almost a decade when it obviously isn't working, and their closest competitors who have been very successful wouldn't start doing the same thing either. Sony is ramping up the PC ports and we've seen their earn calls slides where they told us in no uncertain terms that the initiative was a success, but you got experts on Gaf claiming otherwise.

Microsoft has a nice cross benefit with their other products so it's hard to compare it to sony. Sony obviously get loads of short-term benefits but we need to see if its not interfering with their main business longterm. But yes rn it's obviously working.

And how do you attribute this to PC ports? I don't get it.
For several reasons.
- First they are getting less money from those PC sales because of lower price on PC (due to more competition on Steam) and the 30% tax.
- Second they are encouraging people to invest into PC ecosystem which leads to more problems. People have less money to spend on PS games because they spend some of their money on PC hardware (which is very expensive, Nvidia is happy here) and also as they have now a gaming PC they can spend more of their money on 3rd party games (because this version will be better and cheaper than on console) and games available on PC not available on consoles.

It's being a toxic strategy from the start and could only work on the short term, never long term. There is a good reason Nintendo isn't porting their games on PC.

ByWatterson

I think they'd be idiots to do that. It's clearly been an absolute failure for Xbox as a strategy.

That's because no one culturally cares about Xbox hardware. If the Playstation product is still a go-to for most casual consumers (and the other premium console manufacturer collapses), Day 1 might make a lot of sense.

Felessan

Day1 is getting closer.
If anything it's opposite.
Why do a day1 release and cannibalize your sales of consoles and it's soft when you can do a port 2-4 years later when sales died completely to force double-dip on PC for the whole 700 mil/year of free money.

feynoob

Gold Member
That's because no one culturally cares about Xbox hardware. If the Playstation product is still a go-to for most casual consumers (and the other premium console manufacturer collapses), Day 1 might make a lot of sense.
X360 was the golden chance for Xbox. Go to the e3 and showcase bang games for xbox one. Instead, the suits went with entertainment. Completely killing any cultural relevence that Xbox had.

Now its useless box with no identity, and halo being a dead franchise.

These MF had Halo and COD.

Top Bottom